The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 AM   #1
BlueandOrange32

Default Gaffney comments

"I don't know how they'll do as far as wins, but I can tell you they won't be disappointed in him,'' said Jabar Gaffney, the Redskins veteran receiver who played with and caught passes from Tebow last year in Denver, where he went 1-2 as the Broncos starter in the last three games of the season. "You won't find a guy who's going to work harder out there and compete any harder than Tim. Last year I got to play with him as a rookie, and I got to work out with him a couple times over this past offseason.

"I could just see in our workouts that he was a bit more poised over the offseason. He changed up his throwing a little bit, and he was getting rid of the ball a lot quicker and making some great throws. I'm excited myself to see how he does out there actually. Because from playing with him last year, and working out with him this year, it was like night and day. You could see that confidence inside of him, like he's ready to play now.''

Gaffney believes he knows. He's been at the other end of a Tebow spiral, and that's something no TV analyst can match at the moment.
"Man, that dude can make every throw out there,'' said Gaffney, who, like Tebow, starred at the University of Florida. " It may not always be pretty, but he can make every throw out there and he can throw just as far as any quarterback in the league. So there's definitely no question about his arm strength.
"As a receiver, it gives you a little bit of extra confidence in knowing he will keep a play alive with his feet. You can never stop on a route, because he gets out of some stuff and he'll throw it to you. Whereas in most cases, you'll look back and you'll be like, 'Oh, man, the quarterback's sacked.' Not with Tebow. He'll come out of it somehow, because he keeps plays alive. As a receiver, you've just always got to stay ready for him.''
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

He's a good guy. Ran into him in Reston a few weeks ago, good guy. Of course it's the one day I go grab lunch and don't have my phone with me for a pic.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
He's a good guy. Ran into him in Reston a few weeks ago, good guy. Of course it's the one day I go grab lunch and don't have my phone with me for a pic.
Awesome, guess I need to start hanging around there more often. The town center?
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:20 AM   #4
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He looked worse coming in from the off season. That was the big knock on him.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #5
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
Or so some assumed.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
He looked worse coming in from the off season.
I think it was more that he just didn't look any better. Same glaring mechanical flaws. I think the expectation was that he'd look more ready and polished and ready to take over as starter.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, but we've got no proof, except that Orton was the starter. And we all know that Orton starting has nothing to do with how well or not so well Tebow was playing. This "he looked worse" is a media myth.

Let's not believe the receiver who worked with Tebow not only for the last three games but over the offseason...who BTW has nothing to gain or lose due to his comments.

And oops...there goes the "Tim did nothing to improve. He only pimped his book".
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
And just how much perspective (on Tebow) could Gaffney possibly have had considering that he was traded to Washington on the first day training camp opened (July 27)?

http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/7...ngton-redskins

I'm sure Gaffney couldn't possibly have been biased in favor of a fellow Gator.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #9
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
And just how much perspective (on Tebow) could Gaffney possibly have had considering that he was traded to Washington on the first day training camp opened (July 27)?

He played with him last season. He worked out with him in the offseason. I would say he has great perspective.

Others, like Lloyd, agreed that Tebow was getting better in the offseason. The mistake is comparing him to a 7 year vet that knew the offense so well, in training camp. Of course he isn't going to look better in that situation. Tebow scrambles around and sheds guys. You can't do that in training camp and he obviously isn't as polished of a thrower.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...Tim-Tebow.html'

In the wake of his breakthrough season last year, Denver Broncos Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Lloyd recently worked out with quarterback Tim Tebow in Florida.

I thought it was good," Lloyd told 104.3 in Denver, per SportsRadioInterviews.com. "Its better for morale going into the season when you see how good of shape guys are in. Its kind of like, I want to see where dudes at with his training and guys want to see where were at so we have some confidence going into the season. Thats how I took it. It was good to see that Tims improving on his drops, hes improving on his timing, and within the first day we got into rhythm, within the first 20 minutes of it. ..

Last edited by jhns; 10-14-2011 at 07:07 AM..
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:05 AM   #10
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:

, the hate is strong in this one.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #11
MacGruder

I think people are making a big mistake by thinking Tebow didn't work hard enough to improve in the off season.. it is much more likely he tried TOO hard to change things and be perfect.

Joe Montana was interviewed recently and said it was a big no-no to try to mess with his mechanics.. especially since he didn't really need to change them. He had proven himself against SEC defenses playing 4 years and had great success.

I suspect Tebow was trying to be too perfect to silence his critics.. which is why fox said Tebow was trying to be too perfect at the beginning of training camp.. probably sacrificing his passes to have perfect fundamentals..

Mike Holmgren and Jim Harbaugh also said he never should have changed his throwing motion.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #12
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:

or a grudge against EFX ... though he should thank them since he's got a real shot at the playoffs
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #13
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_7 View Post
Awesome, guess I need to start hanging around there more often. The town center?
yes, a lot of the guys live around there or in Ashburn. I saw Fat Al there a lot but thought better than speak to him. He lived at Jackson's in the town center.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #14
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
I think people are making a big mistake by thinking Tebow didn't work hard enough to improve in the off season.. it is much more likely he tried TOO hard to change things and be perfect.

Joe Montana was interviewed recently and said it was a big no-no to try to mess with his mechanics.. especially since he didn't really need to change them. He had proven himself against SEC defenses playing 4 years and had great success.

I suspect Tebow was trying to be too perfect to silence his critics.. which is why fox said Tebow was trying to be too perfect at the beginning of training camp.. probably sacrificing his passes to have perfect fundamentals..

Mike Holmgren and Jim Harbaugh also said he never should have changed his throwing motion.
He didn't hire a personal throwing coach in the off season, how did he work too hard? Maybe he worked out in the weight room but his mechanics didn't look any better, if not worse.

I don't care what anyone says, if you watched him in the preseason objectively his mechanics did not improve at all.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #15
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyScrewed View Post
Yeah, but we've got no proof, except that Orton was the starter. And we all know that Orton starting has nothing to do with how well or not so well Tebow was playing. This "he looked worse" is a media myth.

Let's not believe the receiver who worked with Tebow not only for the last three games but over the offseason...who BTW has nothing to gain or lose due to his comments.

And oops...there goes the "Tim did nothing to improve. He only pimped his book".
The people who said he looked worse are local media, not these ESPN jackoffs. They don't have it out for Tebow, they just report what they've seen.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #16
BlueandOrange32

Mcdman. If you didnt see an improvement of Tebow from last preseason to this years preseason, then it is you that hasnt watched objectively.

I know a person like you is so smart and we are all just blithering idiots.

God bless.

Oh and another thing. If you think Orton gave this team the best chance to win and if you think there was any improvement in his game, then perhaps it is you that werent paying attention.

Do you think that is a possibility?

Yeah, Tebow has a tough time with certain things. You gonna include the horrible underthrown balls by Orton? The 7 picks? The pick 6? The dropped fumble? The fact he is the 28th rated QB? The constant 3 and outs? The inability to extend plays? All of the factors we said he didnt do and couldnt be really judged in shorts, red shirts and 7 on 7 drills?

Cause if you are gonna only rip Tebow for his short comings, dont include all of things he does that generates points, then may be you are stuck in your own biased pov? No? Yeah? Maybe?

Last edited by BlueandOrange32; 10-14-2011 at 08:05 AM..
Old 10-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #17
MacGruder

Quote:
He didn't hire a personal throwing coach in the off season, how did he work too hard? Maybe he worked out in the weight room but his mechanics didn't look any better, if not worse.

I don't care what anyone says, if you watched him in the preseason objectively his mechanics did not improve at all.
The first thing Tebow did when the season ended was to go work with his Qb coaches he worked with before he was drafted. The guys who work at the training facility he is part owner of. He went back to that D-1 training facility later during the lockout but I don't know if he specifically worked with the QB coaches or what..

I remembered at the time Tebow was working on his game when Orton was in Vegas celebrating a great season with his linemen..

And people have said they have seen the difference in his motion. Tebow never had accuracy problems before they started tinkering with his mechanics and motions..
Old 10-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #18
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

I hope the receivers we currently have share that same opinion. They need to be on the same page with Tebow...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #19
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
The first thing Tebow did when the season ended was to go work with his Qb coaches he worked with before he was drafted. The guys who work at the training facility he is part owner of. He went back to that D-1 training facility later during the lockout but I don't know if he specifically worked with the QB coaches or what..

I remembered at the time Tebow was working on his game when Orton was in Vegas celebrating a great season with his linemen..

And people have said they have seen the difference in his motion. Tebow never had accuracy problems before they started tinkering with his mechanics and motions..
You'll have to show me a link saying he went and worked with personal coaches and not just lifted weights. I haven't heard anyone say that before.

If he did have personal coaches and still looked lost in the preseason it is not a good sign.

One of his biggest problems ins his progressions, fortunately that is something he can work on.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #20
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
You'll have to show me a link saying he went and worked with personal coaches and not just lifted weights. I haven't heard anyone say that before.

If he did have personal coaches and still looked lost in the preseason it is not a good sign.

One of his biggest problems ins his progressions, fortunately that is something he can work on.
Please, do you really think ultra football dork Tim Tebow didn't work on his throwing every single day of the offseason? Just rested on his laurels? That's about as easy for me to believe as telling me Champ steered clear of the 6 footer all offseason. He may not have worked with the right people, but there is absolutley no chance he wasn't working on his passing every single day.

Last edited by bowtown; 10-14-2011 at 08:24 AM..
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #21
MacGruder

I am trying to find the article that came out immediately after the end of the season but here is another one I found talking about Tebow's work ethic.. and as I said.. many QB experts say you shouldn't mess with someone's motion like they did.. Tebow had enough stuff to work on.. add in the lockout and it seems like the Broncos had no workout set up for him. Have you read what the Panthers did for Cam Newton during the lockout? If not I can show you that article too. The Broncos haven't even been working with Tebow even NOW during the season.. I have heard nothing about preparing him.

Quote:
Zeke Bratkowski: On Tebow (New Article)
Watch the Tebow documentary if need to know who Zeke is and role he played getting Tim ready for the draft.

Source: Rich Campbell
URL: http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2011/jan/...-doubts-tebow/

I rubbed my eyes and moved closer to the TV screen.

It was back in March and I was watching an ESPN story on Tim Tebow's Pro Day at Florida Field in Gainesville.

The reporter talked at length about Tebow's workout and the new throwing motion he unveiled for NFL scouts. However, my eyes were fixed on the elderly gentleman standing beside Tebow and offering coaching tips.

"Is that ... Zeke Bratkowski?" I said aloud.

Sure enough. My former quarterback coach with the Green Bay Packers looked a few years older, and a few pounds heavier, but his profile was unmistakable.

Ten months later, the Tim Tebow Experiment has completed its first year in Denver. The result? While Tebow remains a work in progress, he continues to surprise even his harshest critics.

Lest we forget, the naysayers were adamant Tebow's throwing motion was too elongated for the pro game. Others said Tebow would need to switch positions tight end, fullback, linebacker to play in the NFL. However, Tebow's performance his rookie year has muted the criticism. He completed 41 of 82 passes for 654 yards, five touchdowns and three interceptions. He also rushed 43 times for 227 yards and six touchdowns.

Recently, I called Bratkowski and asked him to evaluate the former Gators quarterback.

I quickly learned my old coach is a believer and not simply because he was employed for a short time to mentor Tebow.

Bratkowski, who lives in Santa Rosa Beach, worked with Tebow four times a weeks for six weeks in preparation for Pro Day. The key objective was getting Tebow to carry the ball higher and speed up his delivery.

Zeke said his young charge made significant progress on this front, though ball position and delivery remain Tebow's "biggest challenges" in the NFL.

However, Bratkowski, 79, has no doubts Tebow will succeed at quarterback. The reason? A work ethic and intensity Zeke says is "unmatched" by any football player he's ever met.

"I try to tell people how hard he works, but no one believes me," Bratkowski said. "Tim is something special. He loves challenges. I don't know where he is today or what he's doing, but he's probably in the office in Denver looking at film or working out. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Pro Bowl one day."

My old coach should know. He counts San Diego Chargers quarterback Phillip Rivers and Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick among many he's tutored the past 15 years.

Last edited by MacGruder; 10-14-2011 at 08:30 AM..
Old 10-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #22
AlphaSeirra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I think it was more that he just didn't look any better. Same glaring mechanical flaws. I think the expectation was that he'd look more ready and polished and ready to take over as starter.
LOOKS are for Beauty Contests VS RESULTS are what counts most.

Looking Ready DOES NOT EQUAL Actually Being Ready.

Just like throwing a very pretty Int IS NOT AS GOOD as throwing a very ugly competion.

Same for fancy footwork that RESULTS in a sack AS OPPOSED TO stumbling around for 5-6 ypc and making 40 yard TD runs.

Losers DO NOT EQUAL Winners.

(are people really this petty/stupid?)
Old 10-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #23
AlphaSeirra

Quote:

Preseason Results:

Quinn 69 PER with 2 Int's.

Orton 104 PER with 1 Int.

Tebow 108 PER with ZERO INTERCEPTIONS

Now, give us all the benefit of your very best and most logical 'critical' thinking on the ACTUAL ON THE FIELD RESULTS!

PS

Currently Tebow 101.7 PER, 17.25 yds/rec, still with ZERO INTERCEPTIONS.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #24
Mr D
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Mr D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #25
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSeirra View Post
Preseason Results:

Quinn 69 PER with 2 Int's.

Orton 104 PER with 1 Int.

Tebow 108 PER with ZERO INTERCEPTIONS

Now, give us all the benefit of your very best and most logical 'critical' thinking on the ACTUAL ON THE FIELD RESULTS!

PS

Currently Tebow 101.7 PER, 17.25 yds/rec, still with ZERO INTERCEPTIONS.
One of the biggest knoxks on Orton was his inflated stats last year, if you're going to throw out QB ratings then Orton deserved to start this year.

Tebow's stats looked good but go back and watch and try to tell me he looked like he knew what he was doing. He looked lost. Hell, even in the last game he did not look good.

I absolutely think he should start now, Orton is done, but you people cannot look objectively at stuff like this. I think he brings a huge spark but hearing people try to justify his poor throws and accuracy is ridiculous.