The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
MacGruder

Default From Loser to Winner

What are things you think the Broncos need to do to go from a losing team to a winning team?

Something I have been seeing was actually confirmed when watching the replay of the Carolina Panthers game just now. During the game the Panthers coaches were using Cam passing the ball very aggressively to win the game, the announcers noted this and said that the Panthers coaches had said they were consciously trying to win games rather than trying not to lose them.

This is something I had noticed about Fox and Orton.. they are trying not to lose games rather than aggressively trying to win them. I am thinking the Panthers were probably sick of that approach from Fox after all his years coaching there. Just look at the Panthers offense this year. Cam's been playing good but I don't think it's him. It's a more aggressive offensive coach.

Another thing that worries me is that last season when Tebow had his three games they really held him back and wouldn't let him pass he ball much especially early on. So once again even without Fox we see that conservative approach. I understand the need to protect Tebow.. but if you go overboard with that I think you are setting him up to fail.

Tebow's nature is aggression.. maybe he will force Fox and McCoy to be more aggressive or at least balance out their conservative nature a bit.. It's something to keep an eye on though. I just hope we don't see a ton of runs and screens again in Miami and beyond. I don't think playing not to lose works in the NFL today.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Cam Newton played in the SEC, so you can't compare him to a guy like Tebow
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Patience, my friends. Soon Tebow will rise.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Get a real QB

Get a new head coach

Improve talent base so that your best player is not a rookie
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Bob giving advice on going from being a loser to a winner...

The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
MacGruder

There was an article yesterday talking about Brandon Lloyd being on the trade block and the author of the article said that they were trading Lloyd because he was unnecessary in the more ball control oriented offense! WTF?

This is the absolute worst thing I could have heard.. if that garbage offense with BLoyd wasn't ball control already then god have mercy on our souls! haha

This is the mentality I am talking about... if you play not to lose you WILL lose in this NFL. This makes opposing offenses lick their chops because they know they can be aggressive and not worry about the ball control offense burning them with an aggressive offense.. Especially if your own defense isn''t stellar.

It also puts more pressure on your QB.. look how this mentality made Orton even worse offensively.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
There was an article yesterday talking about Brandon Lloyd being on the trade block and the author of the article said that they were trading Lloyd because he was unnecessary in the more ball control oriented offense! WTF?

This is the absolute worst thing I could have heard.. if that garbage offense with BLoyd wasn't ball control already then god have mercy on our souls! haha

This is the mentality I am talking about... if you play not to lose you WILL lose in this NFL. This makes opposing offenses lick their chops because they know they can be aggressive and not worry about the ball control offense burning them with an aggressive offense.. Especially if your own defense isn''t stellar.

It also puts more pressure on your QB.. look how this mentality made Orton even worse offensively.
totally agree....wow, I can't believe I just said that
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:35 AM   #8
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Start with getting rid of McCoy. One of my biggest disappointments of the off season. Yes I believe Fox is also a part of the problem. I agree with him that defense is a huge, huge part of a successful team but the offense has to have the parts and abilities to maintain their side of the ball and not take away from what the defense achieves.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #9
MacGruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
totally agree....wow, I can't believe I just said that
I can't believe it either.... is this a trap...
Old 10-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #10
v2micca
Ring of Famer

I don't necessarily think that playing more aggressively is the answer. I just think we need to start playing more to our strengths.
We need to see more packages custom designed to take advantage of our personnel. Tebow can extend plays, so we should have more of our WRs running double-moves so that if they can't get open on the first break they still give themselves a chance. We need to stop running up the gut so often like we have some sort of monster power running offense. Tebow needs to become more comfortable under center, but until he does, we need to use more shotgun and pistol formation.

I agree with gunns, McCoy needs to either get more creative with his play calling, or get a new job.

Last edited by v2micca; 10-14-2011 at 06:51 AM..
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #11
MacGruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Start with getting rid of McCoy. One of my biggest disappointments of the off season. Yes I believe Fox is also a part of the problem. I agree with him that defense is a huge, huge part of a successful team but the offense has to have the parts and abilities to maintain their side of the ball and not take away from what the defense achieves.
Exactly... I mean if you play scared I think opposing teams sense that. And it doesn't help your offense. I think this is why the Panthers have been so good.. they have the exact opposite approach with Cam.

Cam could be much better than Tebow.. I don't think he is.. but I just think that no matter how good Cam really is I think if they had been timid about using him it would have hurt him not helped him.

The way I look at it is either you play some one or don't.. don't half play them.. that is just an exercise in futility.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
MacGruder

There is something else I just thought of.. is Fox's strategy of "ball control" the WORST thing he could do this season?

I mean think about it.. we are seeing all these bad teams put up monster numbers this season because defenses were so horrible from the lockout. We are seeing offenses that had new coaches and new schemes and new QBs OUTPERFORMING Orton who was in an established offense and familiar with the receivers. It makes no sense when you think about it.

I think if Fox had done the COMPLETE opposite and played all out offensively they probably would have fared much better. I think the same is still true now.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
crowebomber
Ring of Famer

Old School Sucka Fool

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka

Score more points than the other team.
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
What are things you think the Broncos need to do to go from a losing team to a winning team?

Something I have been seeing was actually confirmed when watching the replay of the Carolina Panthers game just now. During the game the Panthers coaches were using Cam passing the ball very aggressively to win the game, the announcers noted this and said that the Panthers coaches had said they were consciously trying to win games rather than trying not to lose them.

This is something I had noticed about Fox and Orton.. they are trying not to lose games rather than aggressively trying to win them. I am thinking the Panthers were probably sick of that approach from Fox after all his years coaching there. Just look at the Panthers offense this year. Cam's been playing good but I don't think it's him. It's a more aggressive offensive coach.

Another thing that worries me is that last season when Tebow had his three games they really held him back and wouldn't let him pass he ball much especially early on. So once again even without Fox we see that conservative approach. I understand the need to protect Tebow.. but if you go overboard with that I think you are setting him up to fail.

Tebow's nature is aggression.. maybe he will force Fox and McCoy to be more aggressive or at least balance out their conservative nature a bit.. It's something to keep an eye on though. I just hope we don't see a ton of runs and screens again in Miami and beyond. I don't think playing not to lose works in the NFL today.
Starting MLB, dominant DT and i agree, more aggresive play calling on the offensive side of the ball. Have you thought about the fact, that maybe because Fox has never had a decent QB to be able to have an aggressive style offense?
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
Starting MLB, dominant DT and i agree, more aggresive play calling on the offensive side of the ball. Have you thought about the fact, that maybe because Fox has never had a decent QB to be able to have an aggressive style offense?
Kind of a chicken/egg thing I suppose. But when reports come out that they are going to get more conservative at 1-4 and with Tebow suddenly starting, I think Fox needs to seriously be questioned in terms of his overly conservative lameness.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #16
MacGruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
That is an interesting point.. but many Carolina fans seem to feel he creates that problem... He seems to love really vanilla QBs and won't bench them and play other guys. From what I gather, if the fans hadn't nearly rioted in Denver, he would likely still be playing Orton.

We will see, though!
Old 10-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You guys are surprised by this? I knew this was going to happen from the get go.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote