The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,799
Default Schefter: "they decided not to pay him"...

... on Orton's contract, and why the deal fell apart.

Of course, it's all a moot point now... as Orton won't be moved without a restructuring by Tuesday.

But, Shefter stated that Miami had a $27M contract extension in place for Orton, but then changed course and dropped out.


Curious as to why he's reporting this, while the prevailing opinion around here and other places was that Orton "rejected the trade."

Again, doesn't matter... but for the sake of having some insight into our front office and how they were operating.... who's right?


(Just on Sportscenter)
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,948

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Sounds like Miami came to their senses before they made the trade. Good for Miami, bad for the Broncos...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,809

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho
Default

They say the owner axed it. Smart move too because who knows what we would have gotten on top of dumping is salary (which might I add should be an awesome cap situation for next year.).
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer
 
rbackfactory80's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 4,541
Default

I just think they woke up and realized they didn't need Orton to "Suck for Luck". They were bad enough on their own.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
I just think they woke up and realized they didn't need Orton to "Suck for Luck". They were bad enough on their own.
Nobody loses on purpose in the NFL, and Miami had been building higher hopes for this season.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
I just think they woke up and realized they didn't need Orton to "Suck for Luck". They were bad enough on their own.
Well, this was before the season... and I doubt any of Miami brass thought they had a true shot at the #1 pick before they played a single game.

So, they may have "come to their senses," but why has it been conveyed around here that Orton or our front Office was the reason for this deal falling through?

Schefter seems to be saying it was Miami's call.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Sounds like Miami came to their senses before they made the trade. Good for Miami, bad for the Broncos...
Either that or they played Denver's front office by tying up their time and energy talking with Miami until Denver's other potential trade partners disappear at which point Miami tried to lowball Denver.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
enjolras
Ring of Famer
 
enjolras's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Well, this was before the season... and I doubt any of Miami brass thought they had a true shot at the #1 pick before they played a single game.

So, they may have "come to their senses," but why has it been conveyed around here that Orton or our front Office was the reason for this deal falling through?

Schefter seems to be saying it was Miami's call.
I never saw anyone definitively report that Orton was the sticking point. That was largely a rumor that was seized up by the Tebowites to discredit Orton.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,486
Default

RANK
2

MIAMI DOLPHINS (0-4)

The Dolphins remain at No. 2 for the second consecutive week. There are whispers that Miami could trade for Kyle Orton, which could prove to be disastrous for the team as they would figure to be more competitive and accidentally win a few games that could take them out of the race. Up next: at New York Jets

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...P11_hot_topics
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
Either that or they played Denver's front office by tying up their time and energy talking with Miami until Denver's other potential trade partners disappear at which point Miami tried to lowball Denver.
Unlikely. There were still potentially other teams out there who needed a QB. As I recall, this happened towards the early part of PS, not the end.

Again... the question would be: where did this notion that we killed the trade come from? (Either Denver FO or Orton?) And why is Schefter saying something completely different, as if it's accepted fact?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,466

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho
Default

Well the only thing crazier than paying Orton 9 million dollars is paying three times that amount.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
ghwk
Ring of Famer
 
ghwk's Avatar
 
Survivor survivor!

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,589

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
RANK
2

MIAMI DOLPHINS (0-4)

The Dolphins remain at No. 2 for the second consecutive week. There are whispers that Miami could trade for Kyle Orton, which could prove to be disastrous for the team as they would figure to be more competitive and accidentally win a few games that could take them out of the race. Up next: at New York Jets

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...P11_hot_topics
On Moving the Chains yesterday one of tha guys said this trade likely woudn't happen. The feeling is the Miami regime will be fired at the end of the year so they won't let a lame duck coach tie the team up with an Orton.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Unlikely. There were still potentially other teams out there who needed a QB.
Were there? I do not recall any teams besides Miami. Arizona probably thought about it for a second, but then they quickly jumped on Kolb.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #14
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,733
Default

"They weren't stupid enough to pay him"
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #15
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,125

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Ugh, I wish we could have made that trade. Just gotta wait for a 2013 Compensatory. . .
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #16
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Just gotta wait for a 2013 Compensatory. . .
He doesn't see the field unless the player in front of him gets injured. I cannot think of one team that is going to give him multiple reps.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
On Moving the Chains yesterday one of tha guys said this trade likely woudn't happen.
I'd say the chances are close to zero that they're interested in Orton. It makes no sense for them at this point. Like putting a Band-Aid on a severed limb.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #18
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

It was reported weeks ago that the GM Ireland backed out. It was never the case that Kyle nixed the trade. The Dolphins nixed it.

They were higher on Henne than the media made out. They felt he deserved the shot this year, and Orton was only the Plan B.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #19
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Were there? I do not recall any teams besides Miami. Arizona probably thought about it for a second, but then they quickly jumped on Kolb.
Well, I don't remember the exact signing dates of all players... but it seems to me as if Tennessee and Minnesota were looking right about that time? (End of July, early August.) I'm not sure when it became apparent that Indy needed help, but they could have been a possible party.

But, that's sort of a side story. The main question here again... isn't why Miami didn't sign him. So, the posts about them "not being stupid" etc. aren't relevant to the conversation.

The question is, why were Orton and the Broncos front office vilified for this trade not going through if Miami is the ones who pulled out?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #20
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post

They were higher on Henne than the media made out.
And they were stupid wrong going with Henne. Owner Ross is going to blow that organization up, and if they secure the #1 overall coaches will salivate over the gig.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #21
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,466

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Well, I don't remember the exact signing dates of all players... but it seems to me as if Tennessee and Minnesota were looking right about that time? (End of July, early August.) I'm not sure when it became apparent that Indy needed help, but they could have been a possible party.

But, that's sort of a side story. The main question here again... isn't why Miami didn't sign him. So, the posts about them "not being stupid" etc. aren't relevant to the conversation.

The question is, why were Orton and the Broncos front office vilified for this trade not going through if Miami is the ones who pulled out?
Because the fans are terrible. Am I doing it right?
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #22
frerottenextelway
█████
 
frerottenextelway's Avatar
 
█████

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: █████
Posts: 8,389

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██
Default

Bronco fans are awesome. We ran McDaniels and Orton out of town. I'm kinda proud of everyone.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #23
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,999
Default

Sounds like Schefter is trying to improve his access to Tebow...
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #24
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,259

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Well, this was before the season... and I doubt any of Miami brass thought they had a true shot at the #1 pick before they played a single game.

So, they may have "come to their senses," but why has it been conveyed around here that Orton or our front Office was the reason for this deal falling through?

Schefter seems to be saying it was Miami's call.
I think you're into something, popps. Conspiracy!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #25
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
I think you're into something, popps. Conspiracy!
Decker was secretly undermining Orton, too.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:52 AM.


Denver Broncos