The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
BlueandOrange32

Default The Spike

When a QB does a spike to stop the clock, does that count as an official incomplete pass?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueandOrange32 View Post
When a QB does a spike to stop the clock, does that count as an official incomplete pass?
It's a loss of down....so it must.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
BlueandOrange32

I am pretty much understanding that it is. So, BSPN analysts that make fun of Tebow's completion % dont take into account a spike to stop the clock, a hail Mary pass, and a drop/good defensive play?

Isnt it funny how biased points of views blind haters? Those people are really suppose to be objective. However, objective reporting has been gone since the 50s.

Anyway, isnt that something that should be pointed out while they snicker at Tebow's completion %?

Do they or have you seen any of them anywhere point out Bradford (who they worship) is completing 49% and is 0-4 this year?

Oh, right. That doesnt count with their agenda. Oh wait, BSPN doesnt have an agenda.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
I am pretty much understanding that it is. So, BSPN analysts that make fun of Tebow's completion % dont take into account a spike to stop the clock, a hail Mary pass, and a drop/good defensive play?

Isnt it funny how biased points of views blind haters? Those people are really suppose to be objective. However, objective reporting has been gone since the 50s.

Anyway, isnt that something that should be pointed out while they snicker at Tebow's completion %?

Do they or have you seen any of them anywhere point out Bradford (who they worship) is completing 49% and is 0-4 this year?

Oh, right. That doesnt count with their agenda. Oh wait, BSPN doesnt have an agenda.
It still would have only been 50%. Now that we know he's going to be the starter, he will be taking 1st team reps etc. Hopefully those throws that are underthrown work themselves out with practice and game experience. Seemed to me when he entered the game he was a bit rusty due to sitting on the sidelines all season/first half.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
enjolras
Ring of Famer

It's why stats like completion percentage really only matter over the breadth of a season, or at least a significant amount of it.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
It's why stats like completion percentage really only matter over the breadth of a season, or at least a significant amount of it.
^ This. When almost half of your throws come from a 2 minute drill, it's stupid to "analyze" anything from it.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:

It's probably because he's a Christian. After all, they don't count any other quarterback's spikes as incompletions.

We're through the looking glass here, people.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You needed to make a thread to complain about what ESPN said about Tebow's completion percentage?

Besides the spike there was a reason his % was so low, because he threw a number of terrible passes. Hopefully he can fix it or he will be watching a rookie start next year.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:

Man, you are a loon.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
It's probably because he's a Christian. After all, they don't count any other quarterback's spikes as incompletions.

Exactly, and soooo obvious....
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #11
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Why does anyone care about **** like this?

I hope everyone keeps trashing and underestimating Tebow. Fuel him. Go ahead.
Steve Prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #12
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Old 10-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Dang, I was sure this thread had a crucifixion angle
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
BlueandOrange32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
Well if you truly were looking through the looking glass, it is.

Last edited by BlueandOrange32; 10-11-2011 at 02:01 PM..
Old 10-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #15
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Tell the truth you were looking for the:

elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
bendog
Marginally Continent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

I don't get youtube here, but I figure it's funny.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #17
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
I don't get youtube here, but I figure it's funny.
The Spanish Inquisition
Old 10-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #18
bendog
Marginally Continent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

ah. You know those nude photos of Alicia in ESPN magazine worry me about the gay agenda angle.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #19
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

To my knowledge spikes do count as an incomplete pass but 2-point attempts do not since they are not timed plays.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
ah. You know those nude photos of Alicia in ESPN magazine worry me about the gay agenda angle.
That Quinn's little girlfriend?
Old 10-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #21
bendog
Marginally Continent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

yes (squeaky high voice)

Imagine the 3-way positions. (whimper)
Old 10-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #22
19Morton77
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

In a normal circumstances, it is such a small % of spiking the ball compared to all the attempts during a game. If someone wants to get technical, they can eliminate (or separate) spiking (in baseball it is called intentional walk) and obvious dropped passes are considered errors (like baseball).
As a fan, consider one dropped ball with one hell of a catch from Lloyd and it is a wash.

As for Bradford, I knew he would struggle in 2011 not because he was a rookie but look who is the Rams Offensive Coordinator!
19Morton77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #23
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post

With Tebow's really small sample size of 10 passes, it would sort of make sense to mention why some of his incompletions were incompletions.

Here are the 6 incompletions...

#1 Deep pass on left sideline to Lloyd. This play was initially called a completion, but officials conferred and reversed it, Lloyd juggled as he was catching it going out of bounds. Verdict: Not a bad throw

#2 Deep pass over the middle to Decker. This was the play where Tebow had to roll left and buy time. Decker broke wide open and Tebow's pass was overthrown and too much to Decker's right. Verdict: Not a bad throw under the circumstances (Orton would have either thrown it away or taken a sack)

#3 Incomplete to short left to Rosario. If I remember correctly, this pass was badly overthrown and wide of Rosario who was a little bit open for a short pass. Verdict: Bad pass

#4 Incomplete middle short to Willis. If I remember this one correctly, Willis was open for 1st down yardage, but Willis couldn't make the catch as ball landed at his feet. Verdict: You know the old adage... if it hits your hands, you gotta catch it.

#5 Incomplete pass as Tebow spikes ball to stop clock. Verdict: Objective analysts should make mention of play when talking about Tebow's incompletion %.

#6 Incomplete pass deep right to Willis in endzone. Willis was PI'd out of bounds while ball was in air. This was a perfect throw, and if Willis was not PI'd, he likely catches the pass for game winning touchdown. Verdict: Tebow scrambles and buys time, Tebow is nearly sacked as he gets away from rushing SD defender, and throws a near-perfect pass to Willis, who is trying to comeback to middle of endzone (while being interfered) to make catch. Not Tebow's fault this was incomplete, in fact, this play moreso than any other play demonstrated what Tebow can do to try to win games as a Bronco.

Last edited by Vine; 10-11-2011 at 02:50 PM..
Old 10-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #24
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
With Tebow's really small sample size of 10 passes, it would sort of make sense to mention why some of his incompletions were incompletions.

Here are the 6 incompletions...

#1 Deep pass on left sideline to Lloyd. This play was initially called a completion, but officials conferred and reversed it, Lloyd juggled as he was catching it going out of bounds. Verdict: Not a bad throw

#2 Deep pass over the middle to Decker. This was the play where Tebow had to roll left and buy time. Decker broke wide open and Tebow's pass was overthrown and too much to Decker's right. Verdict: Not a bad throw under the circumstances (Orton would have either thrown it away or taken a sack)

#3 Incomplete to short left to Rosario. If I remember correctly, this pass was badly overthrown and wide of Rosario who was a little bit open for a short pass. Verdict: Bad pass
#4 Incomplete middle short to Willis. If I remember this one correctly, Willis was open for 1st down yardage, but Willis couldn't make the catch as ball landed at his feet. Verdict: You know the old adage... if it hits your hands, you gotta catch it.

#5 Incomplete pass as Tebow spikes ball to stop clock. Verdict: Objective analysts should make mention of play when talking about Tebow's incompletion %.

#6 Incomplete pass deep right to Willis in endzone. Willis was PI'd out of bounds while ball was in air. This was a perfect throw, and if Willis was not PI'd, he likely catches the pass for game winning touchdown. Verdict: Tebow scrambles and buys time, Tebow is nearly sacked as he gets away from rushing SD defender, and throws a near-perfect pass to Willis, who is trying to comeback to middle of endzone (while being interfered) to make catch. Not Tebow's fault this was incomplete, in fact, this play moreso than any other play demonstrated what Tebow can do to try to win games as a Bronco.
He was pretty open, not sure how he under threw it so bad. I think it was just due to him being rusty/a little gittery.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #25
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
He was pretty open, not sure how he under threw it so bad. I think it was just due to him being rusty/a little gittery.
Tebow just throws low a lot. McGruder will tell you he's trying to avoid interceptions, but in reality it's just a problem he's always had, even in College.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote