The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default Our WR's Can't Get Open

One of our big problem offensively is that our WR can't get open. It's like they run to the DB's as long lost friends. I don't see this as a QB issue.

Either they need to scheme something better or get better talent, but these guys couldn't lose a set of care keys. Of course when they do get open the QB Kyle Orton couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. I don't see this getting better with Tebow anytime soon.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

I think a part of it is that they have never really had to do a scramble drill in a game. The ball is either coming to one of them or Orton gets sacked. They'll need to get used to plays lasting longer than five seconds.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
One of our big problem offensively is that our WR can't get open. It's like they run to the DB's as long lost friends. I don't see this as a QB issue.

Either they need to scheme something better or get better talent, but these guys couldn't lose a set of care keys. Of course when they do get open the QB Kyle Orton couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. I don't see this getting better with Tebow anytime soon.
I agree the WRs need to do a better job of getting separation. The upside of Tebow is 1) he can extend plays and 2) he can get rushing yards. Both will help loosen up the defense a bit.

So, do you think Tebow should start in Miami? Or still go with Orton? I know you probably cringed when Tebow came into the game, expecting him to cry or start wandering around trying to find the huddle.
Steve Prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran

Mhmugggggeeeee

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Can't wait to see Demaryius and Eddie back in there.

We'll have the best corps in the AFCW, imo.
Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Prefontaine View Post
I agree the WRs need to do a better job of getting separation. The upside of Tebow is 1) he can extend plays and 2) he can get rushing yards. Both will help loosen up the defense a bit.

So, do you think Tebow should start in Miami? Or still go with Orton? I know you probably cringed when Tebow came into the game, expecting him to cry or start wandering around trying to find the huddle.
I think Tebow starts from her on out. He's got to get his throwing motion shorter. The best in the game get the ball out in .27 to .30 seconds. Tebow takes almost a full second.

None of that is going to get the guys open though.

As much as I think Orton is a jinx, I can hardly balem him for holding on to the ball. Those WR's can't get open.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Easy to see why Lloyd and Decker weren't getting separation~

40 times:
Brandon Lloyd..........4.6 s
Eric Decker..............4.5 s
Demaryius Thomas...4.4 s
Eddie Royal.............4.39 s

Hope Thomas can come back to be that vertical threat we so desperately need.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
edog24
Perennial Pro-bowler

Well, our WR's aren't very good, and they are all undersized in today's league. Demaryius is the only big one and he has only shown glimpses of talent. Tebow is not the most accurate passer and it doesn't help that he is throwing to WR's that are undersized and easily covered. We will have to use some innovation to get them open downfield, some play action bootlegs come to mind now that we aren't saddled by pocket sloth anymore.
edog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
vonqkilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog24 View Post
Well, our WR's aren't very good, and they are all undersized in today's league. Demaryius is the only big one and he has only shown glimpses of talent. Tebow is not the most accurate passer and it doesn't help that he is throwing to WR's that are undersized and easily covered. We will have to use some innovation to get them open downfield, some play action bootlegs come to mind now that we aren't saddled by pocket sloth anymore.
More post corners, jerk routes, corner comebacks, etc.. That would help.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog24 View Post
Decker is listed at 6'3", 218 lbs.
Steve Prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:

I love it... 'long lost friends'... I think you are right, better talent. Brandon Lloyd is having to live up to his reputation of making the hard catches. Eddie Royal can't get on the field, same goes for TE Julius Thomas, Demaryius Thomas can't stay healthy.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #11
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

I don't blame the receivers here. I think this is all part of the maturation process for Tebow. He is hesitating to throw the ball simply because he is waiting for the receiver to be wide-open (as opposed to partially open). Hopefully EFX let him play the rest of the year so he can focus on throwing at receivers that are partially covered, or even better, learning to throw routes open. He does not have the accuracy for tight windows, yet. But that should easily be his prime focus moving forward.

Also, the routes we run all seem the same. It's almost as if we are not utilizing the whole tree. I can't imagine an NFL offense that doesn't have all the routes in it, but the ones we feature seem to be of the comeback route variety. Maybe this matched Orton's and our WR corps strengths, but I see Tim with more of a downfield arm.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Prefontaine View Post

I agree.with tebow.being able to loosen up the defense. With orton they knew he wasn't going to run but with.tebow there is always a.chance.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

It is about timing, no WR is going to be open on any non-deep route for more than a second. If your QB does not throw the ball so it gets there during that open window your WR is going to be covered. Orton didn't have the arm and anticipation to throw those passes consistently and Tebow doesn't have the experience to do so.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post

40 times:
Demaryius Thomas...4.4 s

The play calling is bad. New England TE and WR are not any faster than ours, yet they find a way to make it work.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post

40 times:
Demaryius Thomas...4.4 s

4.6s? Didn't know that. He looks faster then that and he is also the deep threat.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #16
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

I dont blame the receivers honestly.

For one thing the line is young and still struggles at times. The other is we have a starting QB who is average and does not have a quick release like some of the premier QB's in the NFL. If we had Manning, Brady, or Rodgers right now we would not be 1-4. So having a elite QB means a lot in the NFL. Now, we have a young QB with only 4 starts who has some mechanics to work on as far as his own play is concerned. But if anyone is truly expecting Tebow to light it up passing wise isnt being realistic. He is going to go through some growing pains until he gets enough reps with the first stringers, etc. But i dont think our receivers suck at all. Guys like Manning, Brees, and Brady have made a living making average receivers look like HOF'rs.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:

....and TimBow thinks they are able to catch balls with their feet.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #18
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
....and TimBow thinks they are able to catch balls with their feet.
Let's get this out in the open.

Are you retarded?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #19
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

What happened to Eddie Royal?

He basically fell off the planet after his rookie season.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #20
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post

Poor utilization of his abilities and a few injuries. He actually had a decent year last year but nothing earth shattering.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #21
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

It's amazing what a pump fake when the QB is a real threat to run will do to get a receiver open.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #22
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

QB play
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #23
Agamemnon

Quote:

Our receivers get open fine. But you need a QB that can find the open man. Orton couldn't do that, and while Tebow actually did find them he struggled getting the ball where it needed to be, at least early on. Tebow is a young guy that hasn't gotten any reps with the 1st string though. He'll improve.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #24
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:

I remember like it was yesterday back in the 2008 draft, the Broncos had a choice to make.. They were looking for a Kick Returner... either draft Eddie Royal from Virginia Tech or DeShawn Jackson out of California.

There was talk that DeShawn had 'Character or Attitude' issues, so the Broncos took the safer pick .. the rest is history.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #25
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Are we really now calling Brandon Lloyd bad? He might not be the fastest guy or the biggest guy, but he's proven to be a reliable deep threat and, as far as jump balls go, he's one of the best at going up and grabbing em.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote