The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 03:52 AM   #1
BlueandOrange32

Default 1st rounders

Anyone notice Mcdaniels first rounders contribute?

They contributed strong yesterday. It is pretty funny to me. I think Moreno has absolute skills and the level of hatred towards him is a little nuts to me.

I know he fumbles. Let me add this in regards to that. Hillis led the NFL last year with 8 fumbles.

Now what? Moreno does produce well when healthy. He has versatile skills and he does run strong.

I will also add this team could and should be 4-1 right now. I know I hate woulda shoulda and coulda. IMO if Tebow is starting like many of us thought he should, they are 4-1 and 3 losses are right at the feet of Orton.

Amazes me, how fans are right and coaches that get paid so well are wrong.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2011, 04:21 AM   #2
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

IMAGINE IF WE HAD ED REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED
Doggcow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
Drek
Ring of Famer

I've been saying for a while on here that McDaniels drafts weren't the problem, it was the rampant power trip that led to him castrating his assistants, chasing off the single best asset a young offensive minded HC could ask for in Mike Nolan, and then trying to pound square pegs into round holes at various positions (Ayers at OLB, Moreno as a workhorse back, etc.)

He then also let his ego get the better of him with how he acted towards fans, responded to our need at DT, handled Alphonso Smith, etc.. But none of that changes how well he manuevered up and down in the draft to get his targets. The only target of his we know he failed to secure was BJ Raji because he couldn't get up past the Packers.

Now with quality coaching we're seeing Beadles, Walton, Ayers, Moreno and Decker find their homes on the roster, with Tebow finally getting a real shot at leading this team.

I just wish he hadn't cast off Smith so damn soon. I bet Allen would have made a good corner out of him here.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
rock

Weird to see how Moreno came to life all the sudden.

I have to say that I'm WAY impressed with McGahee. Dude still has it.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
rock

DOUBLE POST
Old 10-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
DrFate
Lord of Order

Moreno is a bust. He had a nice run yesterday. He's also playing second fiddle to a re-tread RB who is on his third stop.

Let's not get carried away by one play
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
Moreno is a bust. He had a nice run yesterday. He's also playing second fiddle to a re-tread RB who is on his third stop.

I have to agree here, one goot screen pass does not make Moreno a good pick all of a sudden, he needs to show WAY more than that.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Yup. I like Moreno when he is healthy but he needs to do a lot more to be worth a 12 pick.

Drek, wtf are you talking about? He had like 20 picks in the top three rounds of those two drafts. We have like two good players and a few showing promise. You are not very bright if you think those were good drafts.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I just wish he hadn't cast off Smith so damn soon. I bet Allen would have made a good corner out of him here.
How in the hell?

Alphonso has ALWAYS been horrible. He's FIFTH on the CB depth chart for Detroit--who frankly, is just a TAD deeper than Denver is at CB--and been ACTIVE for only one game this season (due to an injury to a non-starter lol).

Alphonso has nothing and is nothing and will never be anything.

And never had the potential to be anything.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

How do you REALLY feel?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
BlueandOrange32

Quote:
How in the hell?

Alphonso has ALWAYS been horrible. He's FIFTH on the CB depth chart for Detroit--who frankly, is just a TAD deeper than Denver is at CB--and been ACTIVE for only one game this season (due to an injury to a non-starter lol).

To be fair, the Broncos in 2008 had 6 ints as a team. That was by far the least and a priority for the Broncos.

Alphonso Smith is the all time leader for ints in the ACC and he has same approximate dimensions as Antoine Winfield.

I didnt like the pick at the time, and then I saw the reality and potential of what he could be.

He did leave for Detroit and he had 5 ints one for a pick 6 in like 8 games last year.

Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but there was a rhyme and reason for the pick. Mcdaniels was should have given him more time. Especially over Nate Jones.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:

Exactly. It wasn't Moreno running but catching the ball on a well executed screen with Kuper steam rolling alongside him.

Say what you want but Moreno has been outplayed and outperformed by an aging journey man RB all because McGahee has better vision and patience than this dance machine.

At this point Moreno is a younger version of Maroney and it shows just how idiotic McDaniels is when he made the same stupid mistake twice.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #13
BlueandOrange32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Exactly. It wasn't Moreno running but catching the ball on a well executed screen with Kuper steam rolling alongside him.

Say what you want but Moreno has been outplayed and outperformed by an aging journey man RB all because McGahee has better vision and patience than this dance machine.

At this point Moreno is a younger version of Maroney and it shows just how idiotic McDaniels is when he made the same stupid mistake twice.
No, I think he is better than that and he did break a tackle to get into the end zone. You arent going to give any credit to Moreno what so ever?

Really?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #14
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueandOrange32 View Post
To be fair, the Broncos in 2008 had 6 ints as a team. That was by far the least and a priority for the Broncos.

Alphonso Smith is the all time leader for ints in the ACC and he has same approximate dimensions as Antoine Winfield.

I didnt like the pick at the time, and then I saw the reality and potential of what he could be.

He did leave for Detroit and he had 5 ints one for a pick 6 in like 8 games last year.

Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but there was a rhyme and reason for the pick. Mcdaniels was should have given him more time. Especially over Nate Jones.
Alphonso Smith was small, slow and only good at playing zone coverage where he could cheat inside to get under passes - we knew that before the draft.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #15
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

lol @ "potential"

Guy managed to get some picks for Wake ****ing Forest in the ACC, is a midget playing in a big WR world these days, and excels at literally nothing.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #16
BlueandOrange32

Quote:
lol @ "potential"

Guy managed to get some picks for Wake ****ing Forest in the ACC, is a midget playing in a big WR world these days, and excels at literally nothing.
Whatever "reverend." I think it is pretty funny that you think it is pretty funny that he is the all time leader for ints in the ACC.

ANtoine Winfield is about the same size.

I am just saying I understand what they were seeing at the time. Do you have that capability, or are you "ing" cause you didnt consider all of the factors?

I think I know what you are going to say now. You think I am saying he is as good as Winfield. I am saying there was no reason to think that he couldnt have been that type of player at the time.

I actually saw him play at Pahokee HS. He was pretty damn good and he broke Anquan Boldins record for TDs at that HS.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #17
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
How in the hell?

He broke his foot during off-season conditioning and has missed all of camp, pre-season, etc.. Last week was the first time he's been deemed healthy enough to play and Jim Schwartz himself said that when he's 100% he is their nickel CB.

Never mind the five picks in about 12 games last year (better than our entire secondary on a per game basis). Jim Schwartz knows a thing or two about defense and just carried Smith on the active roster instead of the PUP because he wanted him back as soon as Smith cleared. If that isn't a positive affirmation I don't know what is.

He was significantly better last season than every corner on this team not named Champ Bailey. You put Joseph or even Richard Marshall opposite Champ and Smith in the nickel and this defense looks a whole lot better.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #18
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

I'm not a Moreno hater. Actually like the kid and still hold out hope he'll figure the NFL out.

But, yesterday didn't show me anything I didn't already know. Knowshon is a great receiver out of the backfield, and is also very good @ blitz pick-ups.

He needs to run more north and south like Willis did yesterday, though.

Considering McDaniels would throw the ball on every snap if he could, I think he knew eggs ackley what he was gettin' in Knowshon.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #19
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
No, I think he is better than that and he did break a tackle to get into the end zone. You arent going to give any credit to Moreno what so ever?

Really?
A RB with a full head of steam breaking a DBs tackle who's stuck at the goal line is not something that's going to impress me a whole lot.

Those sort of things are base expectations for me. But then again I did have the pleasure of watching guys like TD, Anderson, Droughns, Portis etc.

I'd be far more impressed if Moreno hit the hole hard and was more decisive in judging his lanes instead of running hesitant and getting ankle tripped all the time.

Last edited by fontaine; 10-10-2011 at 10:28 AM..
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #20
vonqkilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I've been saying for a while on here that McDaniels drafts weren't the problem, it was the rampant power trip that led to him castrating his assistants, chasing off the single best asset a young offensive minded HC could ask for in Mike Nolan, and then trying to pound square pegs into round holes at various positions (Ayers at OLB, Moreno as a workhorse back, etc.)
The drafts set us back years. Everything else sucked as well.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #21
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Drek and OP,

Those drafts were horrible by not only some of those picks but guys we traded to get additional picks. Moreno has one play and he did it great. ONE PLAY! Why? Because he is no longer the starter. A running back is supposed to be dominating at taking a handoff. We all know Moreno's strength is 3rd down receiver. We still need our 1st round pick to be healthy and be able to run through a line. So many people go gaga over one play, one series or one game. Moreno has been here for 2 1/4 years! We don't even know how Tebow will perform in a full game. The one thing we got out of yesterday's loss was that we have a new found hope in some of our guys.

Thank God some of the posters (most I should say) in this thread are level headed. McDaniels drafts not the problem? I guess ****ting coaching ranks up there too.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #22
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

Quote:

yeah, give him props for the TD but the run itself was typical moreno--impatient, almost running up the back of his lead blocker. knowshon--next ronnie harmon?
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #23
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

oh, and two words:

alphonso smith

that's all you really need to know about mcd's drafts.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #24
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
yeah, give him props for the TD but the run itself was typical moreno--impatient, almost running up the back of his lead blocker. knowshon--next ronnie harmon?
He is what he is - a decent third down back. That's all he's ever been. He's got good hands. He displays no burst, poor balance, and no vision. He doesn't let the blocks develop, he gets tackled by the turf monster all too often, and he's made of glass.

Other than that he's an every down back.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #25
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default If only we held onto him...

DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote