The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Time for DJ to go?

Honestly I've seen nothing but mediocre play out of him this year and I really don't think we lose much, if anything, when Woodyard is on the field. Not only did he not play well but he had that absolutely terrible penalty at the end of the game today.

I say we trade him for a third or fourth to Philly and just get it over with.

Also, isn't he going to be suspended soon anyways for his second DUI?
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
Agamemnon

We aren't going to get a third for him. No chance. But I do agree that Woodyard is just as good if not better. Right now our linebacker play outside of Von Miller is pretty miserable to be honest. I like Mays and Woodyard as backups, but we need real quality starters ahead of them.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
TheDave
Sauced...

Maybe I'm missing something but I consider DJ to be a huge improvement over Woodyard.

To be honest I think he is playing very well
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
Honestly I've seen nothing but mediocre play out of him this year and I really don't think we lose much, if anything, when Woodyard is on the field. Not only did he not play well but he had that absolutely terrible penalty at the end of the game today.

Woodyard is worse than DJ as a LB, Woodyard is a good ST player but not a starting LBer in this league.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Simple Jake

Woodyard has proven to be one of our best tacklers so far this season.. DJ was constantly out of position today also.. sucks because i've always been a DJ supporter
Old 10-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but I consider DJ to be a huge improvement over Woodyard.

To be honest I think he is playing very well
If he is an improvement I don't think it is huge.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

DJ is overrated. Always has been.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Lavonte David would look great with Miller.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
If he is an improvement I don't think it is huge.
I think its huge, when DJ can be a starter for other NFL teams and not Woodyard.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #10
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
DJ is overrated. Always has been.
While this is probably true, he is presently playing worse than I've ever seen. He just seems to have dropped from above average LB to below average LB, and I have to wonder if it's the injuries.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #11
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
I think its huge, when DJ can be a starter for other NFL teams and not Woodyard.
DJ would start on very few teams in the NFL playing at the level he is currently playing at.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #12
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
DJ would start on very few teams in the NFL playing at the level he is currently playing at.
Few teams would, and Woodyard wouldn't start on any NFL club. So I don't understand the logic of replacing a LBer with a scrub?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:

I think you're being very kind when you say mediocre. I only had a chance to key in on him a few times, but he just routinely takes himself out of plays.
I don't remember the last big play he made, and he seems to be getting dumber with age. (See the potentially game-losing penalty today.)

Yea, we could trade him I suppose. What's the market like for a drunk, ho-hum LB with pending legal and league issues? (Who was stripped of his captaincy)

Yea, yea.. I know... his tackle numbers are outstanding!

Last edited by Popps; 10-09-2011 at 11:15 PM..
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #14
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

He had some issues today with poor angles and missed tackles (and the penalty, which was a bad call, but he shouldn't have responded), but he's getting back from an injury. He'll be fine. He's only 29, so he has a few more good years to provide. He had some good plays too...a sack, a couple stuffs on the goalline and a pass defensed (two actually).

Hopefully the bye will help him heal up.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 10-09-2011 at 11:13 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #15
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

I like Woodyard. But anyone he says he's better than D.J. just reveals their lack of football knowledge. SMH. We have much bigger problems. That penalty was complete B.S.
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

never been a big DJ fan and actually have said for the last few seasons Woodyard is better. DJ keeps his job ahead of Woodyard because of his contract and leadership.

on the field Woodyard outplays him.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #17
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

IAOFM has some of the most solid Broncos analysis around. Here's the take on Williams today...

.7. Despite his incredible athleticisim, D.J. Williams is rarely in the right position.  The defense was probably better off when he was on the sideline.  His personal foul penalty late in the game was, how should I put it, ill advised?  Actually, I know exactly how to put it.  It was completely stupid.  I'm not sure if he'll apologize to his teammates for giving the game away like that, but he should give it serious consideration.  As Bill Belichick would say, "One stupid play can make all the difference."  Williams again had a lot of tackles, but why do I always feel like he left double the numbers on the field?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #18
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Few teams would, and Woodyard wouldn't start on any NFL club. So I don't understand the logic of replacing a LBer with a scrub?
I don't think anyone is advocating replacing Williams with Woodyard. At best that's a pointless lateral move. He clearly needs to be replaced in the offseason though. Woodyard is a good backup and that's it. Williams is seriously overpaid and a liability with his DUI's.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #19
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
IAOFM has some of the most solid Broncos analysis around. Here's the take on Williams today...

.7. Despite his incredible athleticisim, D.J. Williams is rarely in the right position.  The defense was probably better off when he was on the sideline.  His personal foul penalty late in the game was, how should I put it, ill advised?  Actually, I know exactly how to put it.  It was completely stupid.  I'm not sure if he'll apologize to his teammates for giving the game away like that, but he should give it serious consideration.  As Bill Belichick would say, "One stupid play can make all the difference."  Williams again had a lot of tackles, but why do I always feel like he left double the numbers on the field?
I agree with everything but blaming him for that penalty. It was a chippy game from start to finish, and what he did is something I've never seen called before. It was complete bull**** to be honest.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #20
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

DJ is a very good player who had a rough game and is returning from injury (its clear he's not all the way back). He's done a great job as an 8 year starter despite the team playing him at 4 different positions and never with a good line. I'd like to think people would give him a slight break for an uneven game (still made some good plays), guess not, though.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 10-10-2011 at 12:25 AM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #21
extralife
Ring of Famer

DJ is the least of our problems. He's a relatively complete linebacker that isn't going to get noticed because he doesn't light the field up with sportscenter hits or scream at the sky and/or teammates after every play/before the game. He's not always in the right place, no, but people don't seem to understand that the line play he has suffered from over his career makes it remarkably difficult to do these things that people seem to take for granted (and his constant role changes have not helped).
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #22
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
DJ is a very good player who had a rough game and is returning from injury (its clear he's not all the way back). He's done a great job as an 8 year starter despite the team playing him at 4 different positions and never with a good line. I'd like to think people would give him a slight break for an uneven game (still made some good plays), guess not, though.
I used to be with you on this one, but of late he's lost me. I just don't see a player worth the amount of money he's being paid. No matter how hard I look.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #23
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

DJ getting older, drinks too much, is sort of always a let down, i could see the Broncos looking to draft a young weakside backer. Would not surprise me at all if the DJ super close to the end of his Bronco days. Not this yr, maybe next off season though.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:46 AM   #24
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Id try and build the whole linebacker corps as fast as i could, get 3 really good ones with Miller anchoring it that can then play together. People underestimate what playing together for 3-4 yrs together means to players.

we are really a work in progress, have lots of new players. Broncos quite honestly still need 3-4 more stud players to be added, or to emerge from the roster somewhere. I actually think Moore can be good even though hes not making big plays and some mistakes. Clearly hes better then carter though.

Until we have a stud at DT to anchor the dline we cant really dominate. Vickerson and Bunkley not bad though way better then we had been getting from that spot.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:56 AM   #25
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Id try and build the whole linebacker corps as fast as i could, get 3 really good ones with Miller anchoring it that can then play together. People underestimate what playing together for 3-4 yrs together means to players.

we are really a work in progress, have lots of new players. Broncos quite honestly still need 3-4 more stud players to be added, or to emerge from the roster somewhere. I actually think Moore can be good even though hes not making big plays and some mistakes. Clearly hes better then carter though.

Until we have a stud at DT to anchor the dline we cant really dominate. Vickerson and Bunkley not bad though way better then we had been getting from that spot.
We have major needs at MLB, CB, SS, DT, RB, and WLB. This is why I get so perturbed at the notion of drafting yet another QB. This team has so many other needs...