The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Default What does Tebow have to work on the most over the next 2 weeks?

Assuming Tebow is deemed the starter for the rest of the season, what does he need to work on the most in practice for the next 2 weeks, through the bye, before the Miami game? I'll start with 3 major ones off the top of my head:

1) Passing accuracy (throwing into the ground) on intermediate routes. At least 2 passes today were badly underthrown, and they weren't deep balls. Tebow actually throws a good deep ball. But he seems to throw the ball short on intermediate routes too often.

2) Looking through his progressions and finding a receiver before taking off to run. I think sometimes Tebow takes off running too early without looking for an open receiver, even if it's #3 or 4 on his progressions. I know Tebow will never be a standard pocket passer - which is totally fine. I just don't want to see him take off and run as soon as his #1 and 2 WR are covered.

3) Center/QB exchange. Self-explanatory, and I assume (no, I pray) this will take care of itself with reps in practice.
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Center qb exchange for me. He looked good in most other aspects. That's one thy can really work on with coaching and practice reps.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Throwing the football where the receivers are.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Short passes to the right.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Accuracy.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Snaps and timing with the #1s.

Beyond that, let Tebow be Tebow.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

We are going to get blitzed right up the middle everytime he goes under center. I don't even recall him being as bad as he was last year as he was today. That would be number one on my list.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

accuracy.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Getting past his first read while remaining calm in the pocket. Wish his ball didn't look like a dead duck also.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Throwing the football where the receivers are.
^... 4/10 will not work long term.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #11
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

in other words he has to work on being a threat throwing the ball. the samething that he has always had to work on.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
schaaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
Getting past his first read while remaining calm in the pocket. Wish his ball didn't look like a dead duck also.
I don't remember any balls that weren't spirals? They all looked good to me but on the short and intermediate passes they were a little underthrown
Old 10-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
I don't remember any balls that weren't spirals? They all looked good to me but on the short and intermediate passes they were a little underthrown
I would say you have a loose interpretation of a spiral. They weren't flopping but they sure as hell weren't pretty, judging him as a pro QB.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
MacGruder

Toughest thing for Tebow is to incorporate the things coaches want him to change and still maintain his own style of play.

Changing your instincts so dramatically is very tough.

For example.. how do you stay in the pocket more yet still use your running ability when to it's fullest? Should he even try to be a pocket QB if his line can't protect him consistently? This is what happened preseason.

I just hope the Broncos coaches watch what Mike Shula is doing with Cam Newton. Who knows where Tebow would be now if he had Shula.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #15
schaaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
I would say you have a loose interpretation of a spiral. They weren't flopping but they sure as hell weren't pretty, judging him as a pro QB.
I agree that they weren't perfect t spirals but that Is far from a dead duck man
Old 10-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #16
MacGruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
in other words he has to work on being a threat throwing the ball. the samething that he has always had to work on.
Actually that didn't used to be an issue until they messed with his motion.

This is why guys like Montana, Harbough and Holmgren said he didn't even need to change it.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #17
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
Actually that didn't used to be an issue until they messed with his motion.

This is why guys like Montana, Harbough and Holmgren said he didn't even need to change it.
apparently it was, he would've been the starter from the get go if it wasn't for his issues throwing the ball.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #18
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Practicing better so he isn't supplanted by the practice HOF'er Orton.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #19
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post

I just hope the Broncos coaches watch what Mike Shula is doing with Cam Newton. Who knows where Tebow would be now if he had Shula.
I've seen you post this a lot the past few weeks, and as a long time NFL/college fan I will tell you that shula isn't the reason Cam is succeeding in carolina. Take a look at what shula did at any of the places he coached before.. He didn't do anything, his biggest accomplishment is sadly probably brody croyle.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #20
MacGruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
apparently it was, he would've been the starter from the get go if it wasn't for his issues throwing the ball.
Wrong.. it was clearly done for long term success. He wasn't starter because he had a guy in front of him that was supposed to be a capable vet and who is great in practice but sucks in actual games.. let's not rewrtie history to fit the BS spread in the media.

Tebow's problems were fitting in a conventional NFL offense... not his passing ability.

Changing your motion dramatically is never going to help someone short term.. under ANY circumstances.

Last edited by MacGruder; 10-09-2011 at 07:46 PM..
Old 10-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #21
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
^... 4/10 will not work long term.
Damn, tuff considering it was his first start this year and hasn't been practicing with the first team. for the record.....neither does 6/13 for 34 yards but we lived with it long enough. Time to move on.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #22
huh??
Back in the 5280!

...pretty good at lurking.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobiv View Post
Assuming Tebow is deemed the starter for the rest of the season, what does he need to work on the most in practice for the next 2 weeks, through the bye, before the Miami game? I'll start with 3 major ones off the top of my head:

1) Passing accuracy (throwing into the ground) on intermediate routes. At least 2 passes today were badly underthrown, and they weren't deep balls. Tebow actually throws a good deep ball. But he seems to throw the ball short on intermediate routes too often.

2) Looking through his progressions and finding a receiver before taking off to run. I think sometimes Tebow takes off running too early without looking for an open receiver, even if it's #3 or 4 on his progressions. I know Tebow will never be a standard pocket passer - which is totally fine. I just don't want to see him take off and run as soon as his #1 and 2 WR are covered.

3) Center/QB exchange. Self-explanatory, and I assume (no, I pray) this will take care of itself with reps in practice.
I think you're wrong on #2. Watching him through preseason and what he did today, he's making a concerted effort to be a pocket passer. It's now actually degrading his run game. You can see on some of today's runs when the play called was to make a throw and he had to run, he was still looking for a receiver and didn't run "full steam" when he had no other choice.
huh?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #23
MacGruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I've seen you post this a lot the past few weeks, and as a long time NFL/college fan I will tell you that shula isn't the reason Cam is succeeding in carolina. Take a look at what shula did at any of the places he coached before.. He didn't do anything, his biggest accomplishment is sadly probably brody croyle.

He turned Garrard from a nobody into a pro bowler... and without him he got cut and Cam Newton is challenging Dan Marino's numbers.

What more do you need to see? Garrard and Cam are the closest players to Tebow in the NFL as well.

It's as simple as playing to a players strengths. Mike Shula was going to recruit Tebow and obviously has given a lot of thought to playing a player with this skill set. he was going to use Tebow in a pro style offense in college as well. So he had a vision of how to use him.

Last edited by MacGruder; 10-09-2011 at 07:58 PM..
Old 10-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #24
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

He needs to throw short passes better.
Needs to run less..He will not be able to play full season if he keeps running often.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #25
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Things he wont have to work on. Screens. It will be nice to have a more diverse offense.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote