The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Mile High Mojoe
The Original Maniac

Load the Wagon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default Why is Luck a lock?

Okay... I admit not having seen a single game Luck has started at Stanford. I've seen highlights of some of his games but not enough to have an opinion on him or how good of an NFL QB he could be. I saw the Suck for Luck thread but it doesn't get into any specifics about his skills. Can I get a sincere evaluation without the smartass remarks? I don't follow the college game as close as many of you do so educate me.

I could never agree to throwing games to get a draft pick but I would like to know more about Luck.
Mile High Mojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Mojoe View Post
Okay... I admit not having seen a single game Luck has started at Stanford. I've seen highlights of some of his games but not enough to have an opinion on him or how good of an NFL QB he could be. I saw the Suck for Luck thread but it doesn't get into any specifics about his skills. Can I get a sincere evaluation without the smartass remarks? I don't follow the college game as close as many of you do so educate me.

I could never agree to throwing games to get a draft pick but I would like to know more about Luck.
I don't have much to add in the way of "how good is Luck", but for every "we have to draft this guy, he's a Lock", there have been just as many "wow looking back we should have seen how bad he was gonna be's".

I think the people who are saying 2 #1's 2 #2's and a #4 for ANY unknown quantity have no clue what they're talking about.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
I don't have much to add in the way of "how good is Luck", but for every "we have to draft this guy, he's a Lock", there have been just as many "wow looking back we should have seen how bad he was gonna be's".

I think the people who are saying 2 #1's 2 #2's and a #4 for ANY unknown quantity have no clue what they're talking about.
Awesome. Very insightful. You rock.
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

If we wanted a quarterback with our first pick, I truly don't believe we have to get Luck. The Stanford connection between Elway and Luck is likely driving this urge to get Luck. There are other quarterbacks out there. The Heisman trophy could go to Landry Jones, if Oklahoma makes it to the title game...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
BroncoSojia
Go Broncos

Thanks Champ for the past 10 years

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bey Bey Thomas

Bottom line, everyone agrees that we need draft a QB next year right?

Whether it's Luck, Jones, Tannehill, Barkley, or RGIII.

Orton is gone next year and it's obvious the regime isn't sold on Tebow. So who does that leave? Quinn? Weber?

Odds are the QB starting for us next year isn't on our roster right now.
BroncoSojia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:39 AM   #6
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

There is no sure thing in the draft, everyone knows that. But that doesn't diminish the cost of the picks however. Who you draft and cost of the right to do so are mutually exclusive.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:42 AM   #7
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSojia View Post
and it's obvious the regime isn't sold on Tebow.

Yeah, its clearly obvious.
Im tired of all the pressers where Fox and Elway talk about how they can't wait to get rid of Tebow, cause they just aren't sold on him.

Last edited by myMind; 10-07-2011 at 01:45 AM..
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #8
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bůg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:

There is a number of reasons that Luck is consider the #1 QB coming out and most likely the #1 pick.

Positives:
Extremely smart both on and off the field.
film junkie
NFL size
very good feet in the pocket (feels pressure and able to move away from it with taking his eyes away from his passing lanes)
able to make all NFL throws
Plays in NFL style offense and takes 3,5,7 step drops of regular basis
Very accurate with ball (especial on the intermediate and short routes)
Can sell the play action
better runner out side then people expect, not Mike Vick but he able to move around the edge
Good leader and kinda humble (asked to be red shirted because he knew he wasn't ready and thought he would benefit from watching the SR QBs play that season)

Negatives:
Doesn't always step into the deep ball and ball will sail on him

He compares to Matt Ryan, and Manning type of QB.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #9
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

He's not as athletic as Elway (only comparing because they're stanford QB's), but he's throwing TD passes like crazy. He might even break Elway's record.

Oh and also he's accurate.

and dreamy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcYFjD4PK8E

ESPN has us at #5 on the suck for Luck sweepstakes. Feel free to deam.

Last edited by Blart; 10-07-2011 at 02:01 AM..
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #10
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
There is a number of reasons that Luck is consider the #1 QB coming out and most likely the #1 pick.

Positives:
film junkie
NFL size
very good feet in the pocket (feels pressure and able to move away from it with taking his eyes away from his passing lanes)
Can sell the play action
better runner out side then people expect, not Mike Vick but he able to move around the edge
Good leader and kinda humble (asked to be red shirted because he knew he wasn't ready and thought he would benefit from watching the SR QBs play that season)

Negatives:

Just to show how smart he is, I heard that Luck is already calling his own plays at the line. Just looking his physical and mental intelligence, the guy is the best prospect in years.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #11
Mile High Mojoe
The Original Maniac

Load the Wagon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:

Positives:
film junkie
NFL size
Can sell the play action

Negatives:

This is the kind of assessment I was looking for. As I said I know little about him and just have seen highlights which I donít always think measure how good any player is since itís only a small slice of a game. I wonder how many Broncos Fans have actually seen several of his games and could say he is as good as advertised.

The Ryan and Manning comparison is a big jump and a flattering one if true. What about his scrambling ability and if he canít does he fold his tent when under pressure? Is he a warrior, what is demeanor like if heís behind in the 4 Q, can he lead a team in a come back?

Iím not in favor of us taking any QB in the draft until Tebow gets a chance to prove he can sink or swim but Iím not against drafting a QB if heís not going to win games for us. If he helps win games even if their ugly thatís far better than what we have now. I remember watching Steve Young in the USFL and with the Buccaneers and see the same sort of unpolished type of player in Tebow. Young was horrible at the start of his career but his biggest intangible was heís will to win and his warrior passion not to give up on a game. Tebow in college at least proved he has that characteristic; Iíd like to see if it translates to wins for the Broncos.

If he doesnít I wouldnít have a problem attempting to draft or trade for Luck or Laundry but I donít think fans should dismiss the idea that Tebow could be that guy if he gets the starting job soon so we can see if he does have it.

Last edited by Mile High Mojoe; 10-07-2011 at 07:09 AM..
Old 10-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

CU plays them tomorrow. Here's a write up in the DP:

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_19059978
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Orton is gone next year and it's obvious the regime isn't sold on Tebow. So who does that leave? Quinn? Weber?

I think with our current coaching staff we can all agree we will not be taking RGIII.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #14
randomtask
Thomas is my hero.

Like a complete unknown

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Walton

Quote:
This is the kind of assessment I was looking for. As I said I know little about him and just have seen highlights which I donít always think measure how good any player is since itís only a small slice of a game. I wonder how many Broncos Fans have actually seen several of his games and could say he is as good as advertised.

The Ryan and Manning comparison is a big jump and a flattering one if true. What about his scrambling ability and if he canít does he fold his tent when under pressure? Is he a warrior, what is demeanor like if heís behind in the 4 Q, can he lead a team in a come back?

Iím not in favor of us taking any QB in the draft until Tebow gets a chance to prove he can sink or swim but Iím not against drafting a QB if heís not going to win games for us. If he helps win games even if their ugly thatís far better than what we have now. I remember watching Steve Young in the USFL and with the Buccaneers and see the same sort of unpolished type of player in Tebow. Young was horrible at the start of his career but his biggest intangible was heís will to win and his warrior passion not to give up on a game. Tebow in college at least proved he has that characteristic; Iíd like to see if it translates to wins for the Broncos.

If he doesnít I wouldnít have a problem attempting to draft or trade for Luck or Laundry but I donít think fans should dismiss the idea that Tebow could be that guy if he gets the starting job soon so we can see if he does have it.
Well, he had close to 500 rushing yards last year, including a couple 50-yarders, so he's got plenty of scrambling ability.

Additionally, he's led a few game-winning drives against USC and Arizona State.

The fact that he's produced since he got the starting job helps as well.

Highlight video.

Last edited by randomtask; 10-07-2011 at 07:24 AM..
randomtask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:23 AM   #15
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Sadly we can not draft Luck, he has a neckbeard which makes him entirely unsuitable to be an NFL QB. I believe I am right in saying that no QB with a neckbeard has ever been succesful in the NFL or managed to not suck balls.

Of all the QBs I am really big on Landry Jones.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #16
Mile High Mojoe
The Original Maniac

Load the Wagon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
CU plays them tomorrow. Here's a write up in the DP:

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_19059978
My take from this is maybe his single greatest attribute is his intelligence. Thatís great but what does he do if he has a porous OL, gets sacked 5 times in a game and is down 10 or 14 points going into the 4th Q. Can he translate it to the NFL?

Intelligence is one thing, toughness, persistence and not quitting on a bad game or a bad team is another story and heíll surely inherit that whether we get him or not.

Last edited by Mile High Mojoe; 10-07-2011 at 07:36 AM..
Old 10-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #17
Mile High Mojoe
The Original Maniac

Load the Wagon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

[QUOTE=randomtask;3320802]Well, he had close to 500 rushing yards last year, including a couple 50-yarders, so he's got plenty of scrambling ability.

Additionally, he's led a few game-winning drives against USC and Arizona State.

The fact that he's produced since he got the starting job helps as well.

I've seen these some of this highlights. Thanks. I just wish it were enough to convince me that'll play like this at NFL level where the game is much faster and the hits much harder.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #18
vonqkilla

He is 5 stars in every category. Talking luck on vicandgary now. Cecil lammey said trade whatever ut takes for him.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #19
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonqkilla View Post
He is 5 stars in every category. Talking luck on vicandgary now. Cecil lammey said trade whatever ut takes for him.
Wait a second, I said that too. Unfortunately I was flamed by fans who take their "Building an NFL Franchise for dummies" textbook too seriously.

Let me be clear- I LOVE TEBOW! I want him to play.

Since our FO doesn't feel the same way, Luck is a gamble with pretty nice odds at being successful at the pro level.

Last edited by rbackfactory80; 10-07-2011 at 07:44 AM..
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #20
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:

I don't think everyone agrees with that at all. It's a resounding yes if Tebow is a bust, and a resounding no if Tebow can ball like he did in college.

Hey, I've got an idea, just came to me. Let's play Tebow and find out for sure what we have in him.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #21
OrangeCrush2724
Bronco Pride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
Just to show how smart he is, I heard that Luck is already calling his own plays at the line. Just looking his physical and mental intelligence, the guy is the best prospect in years.
Giving a college kid the freedom to call all his plays shows a great deal of confidence by the new Coach. Very Peyton-esque.
OrangeCrush2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #22
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:

I don't get the idea of comparing Luck to Ryan. Just from what I hear on the radio and reading articles, they compare Luck to Elway not because they both came out of Stanford, but because they have the same physical attributes. We all know Elway was a freak athlete, his dad said his best sport was basketball, not football, not baseball.

I say start Tebow ASAP, see if he has the potential to take us back to the Superbowl. If he does, draft defense. If Tebow is a bust, mortgage the future on Luck.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #23
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
He's not as athletic as Elway (only comparing because they're stanford QB's), but he's throwing TD passes like crazy. He might even break Elway's record.

Oh and also he's accurate.
So you're saying it's "guaranteed" he'll be a stud. Is that like your guarantee about Orton last week?
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #24
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Probably at worst Luck has a career similar to Philip Rivers.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #25
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I want to get Luck outright vs trading the farm for him. For us to do that at most imo we can only afford to win 1 more game. It might be we can't afford any more wins. Also if he flops we only eat his contract vs his contract and the ammo we traded away to get him.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 10-07-2011 at 08:36 AM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote