The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #26
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Draft this guy, resign Bunkley, draft a DT in the 2nd secondary from then on... RB thrown in in the 4th. Tebow as QB. 2012 would be pretty good.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #27
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather
 
Houshyamama's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,476

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
He won't be a good pro. He is Rey Malauga. His speed is questionable and misses a lot of tackles.
He may not be a good pro, who knows... but the bolded part is garbage.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #28
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 10,880

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

I really like him as a 2 down guy, but I just don't see him as the type of MLB you take in the top half of round 1. He looks like a better run defender than Rolando Mclain but nowhere near as solid in pass coverage.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #29
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 22,978

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Vontaze, even in his own class isn't regarded as the best ILB. There is no consensus there, and if he came out in this draft he would not be worth the Top 10 selection we will be having. He is not a disciplined enough player and his weaknesses against the pass negate from him being such a high profile selection. This is quite an early projection, but it's quite possible he doesn't even get drafted in the first round if he declares.

I'd rather Manti Te'o be the MLB of the future for the Denver Broncos. 49 tackles, 6 for loss and four sacks already this college football season. I have no doubts that he will man the MIKE position for the team that drafts him for a decade.

Te'o > Burfict
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #30
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

I'll jump on the bandwagon for anyone who will finally replace Al Wilson.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #31
Cleo McDowell
underrated.
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
Draft this guy, resign Bunkley, draft a DT in the 2nd secondary from then on... RB thrown in in the 4th. Tebow as QB. 2012 would be pretty good.
YES
Cleo McDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #32
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
He may not be a good pro, who knows... but the bolded part is garbage.
It also doesn't seem true to form that the guy said that he doesn't have speed. He seems to do just fine in that department at the college level, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a nice 40 time.

You usually aren't looking for your MLB to be a burner anyway. You want him to have instincts and fill up gaps quickly, which Burfict seems to do with little effort.

The guy is really powerful. There is some snap to his hitting that really turns your head. It makes him hard to block in the open field. He'll just throw/push a blocker aside or sometimes just blow them up, propelling them backward into the ball carrier. I haven't seen anything like it.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #33
vancejohnson82
Shabby
 
vancejohnson82's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Posts: 6,079

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Vontaze, even in his own class isn't regarded as the best ILB. There is no consensus there, and if he came out in this draft he would not be worth the Top 10 selection we will be having. He is not a disciplined enough player and his weaknesses against the pass negate from him being such a high profile selection. This is quite an early projection, but it's quite possible he doesn't even get drafted in the first round if he declares.

I'd rather Manti Te'o be the MLB of the future for the Denver Broncos. 49 tackles, 6 for loss and four sacks already this college football season. I have no doubts that he will man the MIKE position for the team that drafts him for a decade.

Te'o > Burfict
According to Kiper he is the highest rated LB....maybe not consensus, but someone has him up there
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #34
vonqkilla
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

He looks like a ray lewis clone the way he jumps the count, ala ray in san diego. One of my favorite plays ever.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #35
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I really like him as a 2 down guy, but I just don't see him as the type of MLB you take in the top half of round 1. He looks like a better run defender than Rolando Mclain but nowhere near as solid in pass coverage.
He looks like he is a better blitzer than McClain, and I really haven't seen anything to justify calling him a 2-down linebacker based on his pass coverage skills. Looking at both guys, its easy to see that Bufict is a superior prospect to McClain.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #36
Carmelo15
Chauncey!
 
Carmelo15's Avatar
 
Jeyton Mannway

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 948

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden
Default

My hope is Burfict Rd 1, Ray Ray Armstrong Rd 2 to replace Dawkins. While I like Quinton Carter, Ray Ray will be a playmaker in the league, something we need more of on both sides of the ball. But Vontaze & Ray Ray would be my ideal draft. Manti Te'o & Alameda Ta'amu are both very high on my list. Te'o isn't as flashy as Burfict but he's more instinctual. Burfict is more Al Wilson, Te'o reminds me of a DeMeco Ryans. Alameda Ta'amu is a straight 350 run-stuffing monster from Washington. it's possible we could nab him in the 2nd bit not likely. In the 3rd watch out for Lamar Miller RB, Miami. His combination speed, vision & power could make him an elite player at the NFL level
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #37
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
According to Kiper he is the highest rated LB....maybe not consensus, but someone has him up there
I just went and looked, and there are alot of people who have Burfict as a top 5 overall prospect, some as high as the #2 prospect.

Last edited by epicSocialism4tw; 10-07-2011 at 01:49 PM..
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #38
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo15 View Post
My hope is Burfict Rd 1, Ray Ray Armstrong Rd 2 to replace Dawkins. While I like Quinton Carter, Ray Ray will be a playmaker in the league, something we need more of on both sides of the ball. But Vontaze & Ray Ray would be my ideal draft. Manti Te'o & Alameda Ta'amu are both very high on my list. Te'o isn't as flashy as Burfict but he's more instinctual. Burfict is more Al Wilson, Te'o reminds me of a DeMeco Ryans. Alameda Ta'amu is a straight 350 run-stuffing monster from Washington. it's possible we could nab him in the 2nd bit not likely. In the 3rd watch out for Lamar Miller RB, Miami. His combination speed, vision & power could make him an elite player at the NFL level
Apparently Lamar Miller is moving up the pile...like first round material for some people.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #39
schaaf
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Vontaze, even in his own class isn't regarded as the best ILB. There is no consensus there, and if he came out in this draft he would not be worth the Top 10 selection we will be having. He is not a disciplined enough player and his weaknesses against the pass negate from him being such a high profile selection. This is quite an early projection, but it's quite possible he doesn't even get drafted in the first round if he declares.

I'd rather Manti Te'o be the MLB of the future for the Denver Broncos. 49 tackles, 6 for loss and four sacks already this college football season. I have no doubts that he will man the MIKE position for the team that drafts him for a decade.

Te'o > Burfict
Vontaze definitely gets a lot of big plays. But, after watching a couple games he doesn't get the amount of tackles I would like out of a franchise MLB. He seems to disappear for a couple plays and then bam he's back with a big hit but he's very streaky
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #40
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
GoBroncos84's Avatar
 
Crucify the Ego

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 758

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

My wish list for the draft has been:

1- Andrew Luck
2- Vontaze Burfict
3- Trent Richardson


I doubt we pick #1, so Luck is out. That leaves Burfict as the guy I most want in the draft next year
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #41
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 19,472
Default

Don't we have player like this in Irving?
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #42
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 10,880

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
He looks like he is a better blitzer than McClain, and I really haven't seen anything to justify calling him a 2-down linebacker based on his pass coverage skills. Looking at both guys, its easy to see that Bufict is a superior prospect to McClain.
How often do you blitz the MLB when you have Von Miller at SLB? He is not going to be moved to DE in the nickel package so unless he can pass cover he will be a 2-down guy.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #43
schaaf
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Don't we have player like this in Irving?
we really have no way to tell, coaches are the only ones who would have an idea. Earlier this year I asked Andrew Mason if he thought Irving has the potential to be a starter, and his answer was yes, but that he was hurt by the lack of an offseason and OTA's.

I really like Irving, I hope we can see what he has and that the coaches make a good decision on him.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #44
Carmelo15
Chauncey!
 
Carmelo15's Avatar
 
Jeyton Mannway

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 948

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden
Default

Irving's ceiling is a borderline starter. Burfict & Te'o are potential all-pro/pro bowl type guys
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #45
enjolras
Ring of Famer
 
enjolras's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,578
Default

That Irving (even as a rookie) can't get on the field in front of Mays is very telling. I think the mike is THE biggest position of need on the whole team. This defense goes from decent to pretty good if that position could be shored up.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #46
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,799
Default

I'd love to have a real enforcer back on the defense. Imagine having to account for Doom, Miller and a guy like this on every play.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #47
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer
 
maher_tyler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,069

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
A little?? ASU beats Stanford last year if Vontaze keeps his cool. He's a massive head case.

However, he and Miller on the same team might literally kill a qb someday.
I'll take it!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #48
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,186
Default

he's gonna be a very good pro. he's got a nasty streak in him and loves to inflict pain on the opponent.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #49
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 22,978

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
According to Kiper he is the highest rated LB....maybe not consensus, but someone has him up there
Some do. Some have Teo and Luke Kuechly over him as well. Actually, most reputable places do. Burfict is not a Top 10 player in this draft, especially when he isn't the top at his position (note all those guys are 2013 ILB, like him). I'm not hating on Burfict either, just stating what is out there.

ILB is a real position of need considering Mays is a FA after this year anyways and I wouldn't count on Nate Irving at all. We whiffed on that one, especially when Mason Foster is producing madly for Tampa Bay.

The best all around linebacker out of the three is Luke, because he plays the pass so well and has top-notch instincts. I like Teo's discipline and instincts better than Burfict's, and feel he plays the run better than Luke, but that guy is in on every down making an impact. Burfict is the most aggressive of the three, but that doesn't mean he is the best.

Burfict is no Ray Lewis and is not a blue-chip prospect.

With that said, if we were able to net him somewhere outside the Top 25, go for it. Not before. The other two are better.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #50
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather
 
Houshyamama's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,476

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
It also doesn't seem true to form that the guy said that he doesn't have speed. He seems to do just fine in that department at the college level, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a nice 40 time.

You usually aren't looking for your MLB to be a burner anyway. You want him to have instincts and fill up gaps quickly, which Burfict seems to do with little effort.

The guy is really powerful. There is some snap to his hitting that really turns your head. It makes him hard to block in the open field. He'll just throw/push a blocker aside or sometimes just blow them up, propelling them backward into the ball carrier. I haven't seen anything like it.
As long as we keep talking about football and not science or politics, you and I get a long just fine!
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:11 PM.


Denver Broncos