The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default Peter King: Monday Morning QB

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...k.4/index.html

Quote:
9. Tim Tebow is lost at sea in the Rocky Mountains. Tebow's total offensive output in the first quarter of 2011: minus-one yard. No passes. One rush. I continue to be mystified that the 23rd-ranked offensive team in the NFL cannot find a package of plays for a fullback/wingback/quarterback/wildcat-quarterback with the determination of a Brahma bull.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Couldn't have said it better myself. Tebow may or may not be our best QB, but he's definitely one of our best football players. The lack of creativity in using him is one of my biggest disappointments with this team thus far. If the Jets have a package that utilizes Joe McKnight on defense, surely we can find a role for an accomplished red zone threat like Tebow.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

What's this "creativity" thing you speak of...?
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsunday View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. Tebow may or may not be our best QB, but he's definitely one of our best football players. The lack of creativity in using him is one of my biggest disappointments with this team thus far. If the Jets have a package that utilizes Joe McKnight on defense, surely we can find a role for an accomplished red zone threat like Tebow.
I said the same thing during that game. Tebow may not be ready to be the primary passer, we've argued that to death. It doesn't make sense to not utilize the very unique skills of Tebow though. There are a wealth of potential plays that could be created. Hell, put both Tebow and Orton in the backfield, you'd never know how to play that.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
I said the same thing during that game. Tebow may not be ready to be the primary passer, we've argued that to death. It doesn't make sense to not utilize the very unique skills of Tebow though. There are a wealth of potential plays that could be created. Hell, put both Tebow and Orton in the backfield, you'd never know how to play that.
it might hurt Orton's feelings to have Tebow replace him deep in the redzone. Fox doesn't want Orton to have to cash his $9M paycheck with tears streaming down his face.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
it might hurt Orton's feelings to have Tebow replace him deep in the redzone. Fox doesn't want Orton to have to cash his $9M paycheck with tears streaming down his face.
Orton has the look of a guy playing for his next payday in my opinion. Sure seems like he knows one way or another he's not a Bronco next year. I also don't buy into the crap about the morale of the team -- they all play to win the game. If Tebow helps you convert from 1st and goal at the 1, I'm sure they'd welcome that.

And, as a final rant, I don't know that I believe (any longer that is) that Orton is our best option at QB. The alleged defense is that he's a game manager that won't lose us games. Well he's made catastrophic mistakes in almost every game this year, has a QB rating of 80.1, and is on pace to throw 24 picks. That defense is null and void. Make no mistake, I was firmly on the "Orton gives us our best chance to win games" bandwagon until I watched the first quarter of this season. Watching him inexplicably just DROP THE BALL in the redzone against Oakland, throw a junk yard pick 6 to Woodson, and freak out when the pocket collapses has just made me sick. That's the kind of stuff you get from a young QB. So why not play our young QB?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
t9. Tim Tebow is lost at sea in the Rocky Mountains. Tebow's total offensive output in the first quarter of 2011: minus-one yard. No passes. One rush. I continue to be mystified that the 23rd-ranked offensive team in the NFL cannot find a package of plays for a fullback/wingback/quarterback/wildcat-quarterback with the determination of a Brahma bull.
this quote makes me laugh....and it nails it.

Crazy fans of Tebow......PLEASE KEEP SAYING TEBOW because it will be funny to see Fox and Elway try to explain the reason that they are being so careful with Orton's psyche.
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
uplink
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The lack of creativity in using him is one of my biggest disappointments with this team thus far. .
Its totally unacceptable to not use him. Its one of the worst decisions by a broncos team I have witnessed in my tenure as a fan since 1977. It not as if the offense is lighting it up or anything.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
MacGruder

Quote:
Orton has the look of a guy playing for his next payday in my opinion. Sure seems like he knows one way or another he's not a Bronco next year.
I don't think so.. I think Orton knows the Broncos are the only team that will want him. It's because he has so much experience playing with the players here and in this system. He even alluded to that in his comments after the game talking about how Rodgers had so many years with his team which is why he was successful.

I can hardly believe it myself but I really really think Fox thinks Orton is a GREAT QB. Fox just loves the way Orton approaches the game.. which makes sense because he can't stand the way Tebow plays and Tebow plays the complete opposite...

If Orton isn't here next season it won't be because Fox doesn't want him here it will be because he was forced to let him go.

Another thing I think people need to realize is that we all seem to be under the impression EFX has these brilliant plans and everything is orchestrated and they are pulling the strings.. from what i am hearing I think it's the complete opposite. Elway said he doesn't like to think too far ahead.. I think they are playing all of this by the absolute seat of their pants and I don't think anyone is really calling the shots. They are very rudderless.. complete opposite of when McD was there and calling all the shots all himself.

Last edited by MacGruder; 10-03-2011 at 03:30 PM..
Old 10-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
MacGruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
Its totally unacceptable to not use him. Its one of the worst decisions by a broncos team I have witnessed in my tenure as a fan since 1977. It not as if the offense is lighting it up or anything.
I agree with you.. IF Orton was an adult.

I think the coaches now may not be playing Tebow for the same reason McD didn't last season.. because then Orton has an excuse for not performing... and if the team loses and Orton stinks Orton can use Tebow playing as an excuse as will others if the lockerroom is divided.

I think if the team is successful playing Tebow makes more sense because if they fail then there is no finger pointing. Also.. if Tebow comes in in spot duty and looks great then people will just demand him even more.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
edog24
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
I don't think so.. I think Orton knows the Broncos are the only team that will want him. It's because he has so much experience playing with the players here and in this system. He even alluded to that in his comments after the game talking about how Rodgers had so many years with his team which is why he was successful.

I can hardly believe it myself but I really really think Fox thinks Orton is a GREAT QB. Fox juts loves the way Orton approaches the game.. which makes sense because he can't stand the way Tebow plays and Tebow plays the complete opposite...

If Orton isn't here next season it won't be because Fox doesn't want him here it will be because he was forced to let him go.

Another thing I think people need to realize is that we all seem to be under the impression EFX has these brilliant plans and everything is orchestrated and they are pulling the strings.. from what i am hearing I think it's the compete opposite. Elway said he doesn't like to think too far ahead.. I think they are playing all of this by the absolutely seat of their pants and I don't think anyone is really calling the shots. They are very rudderless.. complete opposite of when McD was there and calling all the shots all himself.
I agree with most of what you said, but I think any starting qb in this league could come in and do better than Orton in our system. Our system is so dumbed down to 5-15 yard passes, no rollouts, no audibles, etc, so that Orton can complete his passes.
edog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
vbplaya
Rookie

Don't chew with your mouth full.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ

Just some numbers ...

- Broncos offense scored 23 against the Superbowl Champs ... (league average this year 24 ... average scored against the Packers ... 25) ...
- Packers scored ~50% more than their season average this year ...

All I gotta say is the defense needs to take Orton and Tebow out to dinner because for some reason ... NOBODY is talking about the defense ...
vbplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #13
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Peter King stopped being relevant for the Broncos when he wrote that Adrian Madise was going to be very good WR for us.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #14
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbplaya View Post
Just some numbers ...

- Broncos offense scored 23 against the Superbowl Champs ... (league average this year 24 ... average scored against the Packers ... 25) ...

All I gotta say is the defense needs to take Orton and Tebow out to dinner because for some reason ... NOBODY is talking about the defense ...
They suck. This has been well established. We can't bench them like we can bench Orton unfortunately.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #15
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Just some numbers ...

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=100240

BEEN talking about.

Just no one wanted to hear it because it interfered with their pom poms.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Just some numbers ...

Everyone knew that the defense was going to still be pretty bad. They've at least looked to be better at times this year. They even had their moments against the Packers. The offense has regressed. Also, if the offense and special teams hadn't given the Pack 5 turnovers, maybe they'd consider taking them out to dinner.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #17
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

We're mystified too, Peter.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #18
Jay3

Quote:
Just some numbers ...

I'd like to play Tebow so the Broncos can be sure and take a defender in the first round next year.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #19
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkporter View Post
Everyone knew that the defense was going to still be pretty bad. They've at least looked to be better at times this year. They even had their moments against the Packers. The offense has regressed. Also, if the offense and special teams hadn't given the Pack 5 turnovers, maybe they'd consider taking them out to dinner.
Actually, the defense has played well enough for us to win every game, except the Packers game.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #20
MacGruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I'd like to play Tebow so the Broncos can be sure and take a defender in the first round next year.
What is the point of playing Tebow with Fox at coach if he won't and can't build the system around him? It seems to me one of them needs to go.. either Fox or Tebow. They can't co-exist their philosophies about how to play the game are way way way too different.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #21
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Just some numbers ...

So...what you're saying is...we shouldn't be focused on the QB who's worse than last year, we should be focused on how bad our improved defense is?
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #22
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

All you need to know about Peter King, from the same story:

Quote:
Rookie of the Quarter: Cam Newton, QB, Carolina. Carolina put up 543 yards on Chicago, in Chicago, Sunday. I can't fathom these video game numbers that Newton is making possible. There has been no quarterback who has entered the league in its 92-year history and had the impact Newton has had in his rookie quarter-season. With passing games of 422, 432 and 374 so far, Newton is erasing the stigma that young quarterbacks -- even rookies without the benefit of an offseason program to learn the offense instead of having it force-fed in six weeks -- can't be ready to take the reins of a bad team in the first game of their pro careers.

2. Andy Dalton, QB, Cincinnati; 3. (tie) Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Washington; Dan Bailey, K, Dallas.
Notice any omissions? A ****ing kicker, pete? Really?
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #23
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=100240

BEEN talking about.

Just no one wanted to hear it because it interfered with their pom poms.
If a defense that is ranked 23rd against the pass and 12th against the run "Sucks". What do we call a QB that ranks 23rd in the league in passing?
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #24
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkporter View Post
All you need to know about Peter King, from the same story:

Notice any omissions? A ****ing kicker, pete? Really?
The kicker inclusion is ABSOLUTELY absurd, but DramaLlama wigged out on me for something similar.

The media is always going to drool over QBs, and the east coast is going to love their guys. Miller has an uphill battle vs Kerrigan for that reason and will HAVE to come out with a significant edge statistically to win DROY.

As for now Miller pulled a 1 sack advantage, but is still an interception and a TD behind. Seven points is a big deal.

And this is just for people who give a crap about pointless accolades anyway.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #25
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
If a defense that is ranked 23rd against the pass and 12th against the run "Sucks". What do we call a QB that ranks 23rd in the league in passing?
A bottom third defense in yards and a #29 in points sucks, yes.

...And when I have defended Orton?