The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
MacGruder

Default Cam Newton's QB coach to coach Tebow?

Do you guys know who Cam's QB coach is?

He's Mike Shula.. Mike Shula was the head coach at Alabama when Tebow was coming out of high school. Shula was doing everything possible to try to recruit Tebow and almost accomplished it. Shula wanted to use Tebow in a pro style offense.

Shula ended up getting fired from Alabama and eventually ended up at Jacksonville as their QB coach and found Garrard who was a 4th rounder and used him like a poor man's Tebow.. when Shula left, Garrard's play went in the tank.

Now Shula is Cam's QB coach and you see Cam playing way above what people expected as well.

I really think if the Broncos brought Shula in as Tebow's offensive coordinator they could kick some serious ass.. if Shula can do this with Cam the sky is the limit with Tebow who was better with no real coach last season and in the worst situation imaginable..

Quote:
"It was very close. I mean, down to the very last second I had no idea where I was going to go and it was between two great schools. My whole high school career, I thought I was going to Alabama because Urban wasn’t at Florida at that time, and they had Coach Shula — I loved him, I respected him as family, I loved the passion Alabama fans had for the game. That was something, you watch me play, I love it, I’m passionate about it, and seeing those fans, I loved it, I was in to it. And they had great players and I had become friends with a lot of their players, so most of my high school career I honestly thought I was going to Alabama."

"Then this guy named Urban Meyer got the job at Florida, and he worked harder than any coach at single handedly trying to recruit for a year and a half. And at the end I bought into it, I believed him. You could see something about this guy in his eyes – that fire, that passion – that he’s something special, that he’s going to do something special. And I believed I could lead his team to do something extremely special. And I believed that. At the end of the day, that’s why I went to Florida. It wasn’t because it was close to home, it wasn’t because of the spread offense, it was because I believed in the man Urban Meyer."
This is a Jacksonville fan talking about the similarities between Tebow and Garrard.. I think if Garrard had Tebow's intangibles and knack for winning he could have been great. I also think Tebow is a better athlete than Garrard as well.

I am also very curious to see what happens if Cam loses Mike Shula, will his game regress like Garrard's did when he lost Shula?

Quote:
You do realize that you just chronicled David Garrard's story down to a Tee right? before Mike shula got here, David was almost exactly the same QB as tebow. he was a fourth round developmental guy with great athletacism and toughness, a strong arm, but questionable accuracy.

then Mike shula came in and found a hitch in his mechanics and now he is throwing the same passes that we DRAFTED byron leftwich in the top ten to make.

I mean the signature play of this offense right now is QB power with the guard pulling over. in reality, the similarities between the two are down right eerie.

Throw into that the fact that the reason DG improved so much is because mike shula came here from Alabama. Why did he do that? because he missed on a certain QB playing for the university of florida.

And as good a QB coach as Mike shula has proved to be in utilizing David's natural talent and helping him develop pin point accuracy when he took a look at #15 he saw a kid that he thought he could develop in a PRO STYLE drop back scheme at alabama. I think that as time progresses that the true similarities between The DG coming out of ECU and Tim Tebow coming out of Florida will be crystalized. when DG first got to college they wanted him to play NT too. there have always been questions about him as a QB or a FB and Mike shula helped answer them. I am not sure if Tebow is a great fit for this team but i know that this situation learning behind a very similar QB with an identical path and from a great QB coach who has proven his ability to improve mechanics...

Quote:

Thirty minutes until show time. Still no idea. I was overcome with emotion and still trying, unsuccessfully, not to cry behind the stage. It had been a long, arduous, and, at times, emotional journey. I wanted to make the right decision.

Twenty Minutes, I owed them answers.

I gulped and picked one.

I'm going to Florida," I told my dad. I'm going to call Mike Shula first and let him know.

I called Coach Shula. As I told him I was going to Florida, my tears turned into sobs. I doubt he could make out anything I was trying to say, but he could get the point. He cut me off.

"Tim," he began. "I love you as a person and a player. When I told you that you were going to have a great career and life of meaning, I meant that. I wanted it to be here but it's still true. I still love you and you are still going to do great things, even if it's not at Alabama.

I had no idea what I said to him after that, but we hung up and I turned to my family.

"That's the coach I want to play for -- Coach Shula's so great. Maybe I should call him back and change my answer." First, though, we decided I should speak to coach Meyer and see how that left me feeling.

Looking back now I honestly wonder if Tebow made the right decision. Tebow's success at Florida is viewed almost as a negative.. and Meyer and Mullen were not good at developing pro style QBs or working with mechanics.

Would Shula be forced to adapt to Fox's vanilla offensive style as well though negating any benefits he would bring in trying to build an offense around Tebow?

Last edited by MacGruder; 10-02-2011 at 10:45 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
Since I can't create threads for some reason I might as well co-opt this beauty..

He is Mike Shula.. Mike Shula was the head coach at Alabama when Tebow was coming out of high school. Shula was doing everything possible to try to recruit Tebow and almost accomplished it. Shula wanted to use Tebow in a pro style offense.

Shula ended up getting fired from Alabama and eventually ended up at Jacksonville as their QB coach and found Garrard who was 4th rounder and used him like a poor man's Tebow.. when Shula left, Garrard's play went in the tank.

Now Shula is Cam's QB coach and you see Cam playing way above what people expected as well.

I really think if the Broncos brought Shula in as Tebow's offensive coordinator they could kick some serious ass.. if Shula can do this with Cam the sky is the limit with Tebow who was better with no real coach last season and in the worst situation imaginable..
Speaking of unintentional dongs...
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Since I can't create threads for some reason I might as well co-opt this beauty..

He is Mike Shula.. Mike Shula was the head coach at Alabama when Tebow was coming out of high school. Shula was doing everything possible to try to recruit Tebow and almost accomplished it. Shula wanted to use Tebow in a pro style offense.

Shula ended up getting fired from Alabama and eventually ended up at Jacksonville as their QB coach and found Garrard who was 4th rounder and used him like a poor man's Tebow.. when Shula left, Garrard's play went in the tank.

Wtf are you talking about? Shula had him playing so well they traded the farm to draft Gabbert... and when did his play drop off? Because he was cut for injury/money?

Gtfo.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
MacGruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
You're projecting....
Old 10-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
MacGruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Wtf are you talking about? Shula had him playing so well they traded the farm to draft Gabbert... and when did his play drop off? Because he was cut for injury/money?

Gtfo.
Garrard wasn't supposed to be CUT. He was supposed to mentor Gabbert.. without Shula he couldn't even make it through training camp.. as a VET against scrubs! He couldn't even perform in preseason!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:

Shula ended up getting fired from Alabama and eventually ended up at Jacksonville as their QB coach and found Garrard who was a 4th rounder and used him like a poor man's Tebow.. when Shula left, Garrard's play went in the tank.

8--------------------------------------------D - -
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
No, that is fully intentional dong. One big ****ing cock. To put that in a complete and awesome thread. BTW MacGruder, I won't be able to read that PM since I have you on iggy. I guess it wasn't a leaving for good message.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Garrard wasn't supposed to be CUT. He was supposed to mentor Gabbert.. without Shula he couldn't even make it through training camp.. as a VET against scrubs! He couldn't even perform in preseason!
...but he DID make it through training camp.

He was cut because of his injury and price tag in relationship to Gabbert's performance.

Sorry that doesn't jive with your Mike Shula BS, but it's the reality despite how many fallacies you post.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
MacGruder

Quote:
...but he DID make it through training camp.

He was cut because of his injury and price tag in relationship to Gabbert's performance.

Sorry that doesn't jive with your Mike Shula BS, but it's the reality despite how many fallacies you post.
Sure.. money plays a part in the decision.. if he was playing for free you could keep him even if he sucked.. sadly that's not the real world.

Del Rio said he was cut because he stunk in training camp. Period.

And Gabbert was playing like garbage in preseason too... he wasn't even the starter coming our of preseason. So your claim makes no sense.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Sure.. money plays a part in the decision.. if he was playing for free you could keep him even if he sucked.. sadly that's not the real world.

Del Rio said he was cut because he stunk in training camp. Period.

And Gabbert was playing like garbage in preseason too... he wasn't even the starter coming our of preseason. So your claim makes no sense.
Yes, they cut him for "football reasons" right after they officially named Garrard the starter AFTER the pre-season.

Try again, please.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
MacGruder

Quote:
Yes, they cut him for "football reasons" right after they officially named Garrard the starter AFTER the pre-season.

Try again, please.
You are splitting hairs.. you have no argument.. please get a life.. go back to your "NFL athletes can't jump high enough to touch the goalpost" and "Peyton Manning is a great athlete" arguments..

You are too smart for me...

Last edited by MacGruder; 10-02-2011 at 09:35 PM..
Old 10-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
You are splitting hairs.. you have no argument.. please get a life.. go back to you "NFL athletes can't jump high enough to tough the goalpost" and "Peyton Manning is a great athlete" arguments..

You are too smart for me...
Thought so...
Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
MacGruder

Quote:
Thought so...
LMFAO

You are such a badass..

Wow.. I have seen some real losers but you take the cake..

What the **** happened to you? I would love to see that movie..
Old 10-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
LMFAO

You are such a badass..

Wow.. I have seen some real losers but you take the cake..

What the **** happened to you? I would love to see that movie..
You're projecting.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
MacGruder

Quote:
You're projecting.
I am not the one looking for typos to prove how smart I am... only someone like you would need to do that...
Old 10-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #16
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

How close is MacGruder going on another vacation? Within a week and maybe sooner is my guess.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #17
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I am not the one looking for typos to prove how smart I am... only someone like you would need to do that...
...what?

No, what I'm doing is pointing out how you make bull**** claims that are completely unsubstantiated by anything.

You rave about Mike Shula for trying to recruit Tebow and cite his work with Garrard and say:

Quote:
Here's the problem:

1. After the pre-season, Del Rio publicly named Garrard the starter.

2. Shula was never given a multi year deal AND they gladly let his ass walk to Carolina. He didn't "leave" anywhere. He was ushered out the door.

Those aren't "typos" bro... those are complete lies you're spewing to try and support your weird and skewed POV.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #18
MacGruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
How close is MacGruder going on another vacation? Within a week and maybe sooner is my guess.
Yes.. I'm the one that needs the vacation.. not the dong kids.. lol And the spelling corrector..

Teachers pets..

Sorry I actually tried to talk about something football related..
Old 10-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #19
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post

We could all say he touched us in our private place and then taco would have no choice.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #20
MacGruder

Quote:
...what?

No, what I'm doing is pointing out how you make bull**** claims that are completely unsubstantiated by anything.

You rave about Mike Shula for trying to recruit Tebow and cite his work with Garrard and say:

Here's the problem:

1. After the pre-season, Del Rio publicly named Garrard the starter.
Yeah.. before he CUT him...

Just like how Tebow was the starter and then was 4th string...

Quote:
2. Shula was never given a multi year deal AND they gladly let his ass walk to Carolina. He didn't "leave" anywhere. He was ushered out the door.
I never said why Shula left.. they brought him in to develop a number one pick.. that isn't exactly viewed as a negative. He is known as being a very good QB coach and LOVES doing it.. AND was dying t work with Tebow which likely had a hand in how he worked with Cam. Both Garrard and Cam are incredibly similar to Tebow in how they play... that is a great indicator of Shula's ability and his ability to coach Tebow.

Quote:
Those aren't "typos" bro... those are complete lies you're spewing to try and support your weird and skewed POV.
You need help dude.. years and years of around the clock work..

Last edited by MacGruder; 10-02-2011 at 09:54 PM..
Old 10-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #21
MacGruder

double post

Last edited by MacGruder; 10-02-2011 at 10:47 PM..
Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #22
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

I can see you at the dinner table with a card board cut out of tebow asking him if your lipstick looks good.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #23
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Are you f***ing kidding me? Are you trolling on purpose?

I start a thread that is supposed to be funny because of what a sh1tty day it was and you put a freaking Tebow thread in to it?

Unbelievable.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #24
MacGruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
Are you ****ing kidding me? Are you trolling on purpose?

I start a thread that is supposed to be funny because of what a sh1tty day it was and you put a freaking Tebow thread in to it?

Unbelievable.
Yes.. I'm a real monster.. for wanting to talk football..
Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #25
MacGruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
I can see you at the dinner table with a card board cut out of tebow asking him if your lipstick looks good.
Yeah.. you got me.. what a weirdo I am.. a great players career is going down the tubes because of ineptitude and instead of talking about dongs I want to try to see a great player have a successful career.. WTF was I thinking??