The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Default Colts should pursue Brady Quinn

Should the Colts pull the trigger on a deal for someone like Brady Quinn?

When looking at such an idea, it's important to realize not just anyone would have fit the bill. The assumption is that Manning would return next year 100% healthy. With that in mind, the key criteria for the Indianapolis Colts should have been someone who could be acquired relatively cheaply (in both a trade and salary), someone who could fill the void for one year, and preferably, someone with at least some NFL starting experience.

These factors eliminate names like Kyle Orton, Rex Grossman, Bruce Gradkowski, or Matt Leinart. In other words, individuals who were fighting for a starting gig, would cost too much, or simply shown they were not that good. These factors also dispose of potential candidates Derek Anderson, Brodie Croyle, and the ever lingering Kyle Boller. When scouring the seas of backup quarterbacks, one name seemed to surface above the rest: Brady Quinn of the Denver Broncos. Stuck behind Orton, and fighting with Tim Tebow and Adam Weber during training camp, Quinn seemed like the ideal candidate. He had starting experience, he wouldn't cost much money, and he, potentially, could have been acquired at a good value.

Another choice could have been former Buffalo Bills quarterback Trent Edwards. Most recently with Oakland, Edwards name popped up when the Raiders selected Terrelle Pryor in this year's supplemental draft. Edwards best showed off his ability during his 2008 season with the Bills. In 14 games he completed 65.5% of his passes for 2699 yards and 11 touchdowns. He also ran the ball 36 times for 117 yards and three scores. However, he did turn the ball over as well, throwing 10 interceptions and losing five fumbles. Edwards showed flashes of a bright future and his overall rating on the year was 85.4, but he could never harness his minimal success and was benched the following year. Edwards is only 27 and is Stanford graduate, but I don't believe he would have been the right choice.

And that brings us back to Mr. Quinn. The former Notre Dame superstar and former first round pick is only 26 and still looking for a chance to prove he belongs in the NFL. Ever since he was bounced from the Browns, he has been stuck in a back up role in Denver. He is set to make $700,000 this year and will be a free agent after the season. It could have been an ideal match. The Colts receive a young mobile quarterback to step in and take the reigns for a year and Quinn gets a chance to prove his worth throwing to a premier set of weapons in Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Austin Collie and the rest of the receiving corps.

I have always felt that Quinn received the short end of the stick while in Cleveland. In 2008 Quinn was part of a quarterback carousel for the Browns, being one of four players who took snaps for Cleveland. In three games Quinn went 45 for 89 for 518 yards along with two touchdowns and two interceptions. He only completed 50.6 of his passes and his rating on the year was 66.6, neither stat being of the earth shattering superstar in the making variety. But he was playing for a Browns team that was built to be a power running team with Jamal Lewis at running back. And his top receiving weapons were Braylon Edwards, who had a 40% catch rate and Football Outsiders ranked 77 out of 79 among wide receivers with 50 or more passes, and Kellen Winslow who missed six games.

In 2009 Quinn earned the starting job and was given an opportunity to showcase his skills that made him a star at the college level. It didn't turn out well. Within three games he was replaced as the starter, only to regain the role later in the year. Overall, the season did not bode well for Quinn. Over ten games he completed 53.1% of his passes for 1339 yards along with eight touchdown passes and seven interceptions. He flashed some mobility running 20 times for 98 yards and a score. And he did have a career day in week 11 against the Lions, throwing for 304 yards and four touchdowns, but it was not enough as the lowly Browns went 5-11 on the season and Quinn finished the season with a 67.2 quarterback rating.

But once again, the odds were stacked against him. The Browns were still a running team first with Lewis, Jerome Harrison and Joshua Cribbs all in tow. Even worse, there was no clear number one receiver for Quinn to throw to. To call his receiving corps substandard would be an insult to those truly below average.

Names like Mohamed Massaquoi, Chansi Stuckey, Mike Furrey, and Steve Heiden were just a few of Quinn's targets. Winslow was long gone and Edwards only saw action in four games. Massaquoi led the team with 624 receiving yards for a whopping 39 yards a game. Harrison was the teams second leading receiver and Stuckey came in third with 19 catches for 198 yards. Just for comparative sake, Donald Brown nearly matched those numbers in Indianapolis as a back up running back and the teams sixth leading receiver.

It was not a successful year for Brady Quinn. But there were some tiny flashes of solid play at quarterback. Enough of them to interest the Colts in making a move? Apparently not. But then again when the Colts realized how poorly Manning was recovering, they probably figured it was too far into the preseason to go out and seek a trade, and more realistically did not want to give up anything meaningful for a one year rental. So they followed what they considered the best option and convinced Kerry Collins to get up off the couch and join the blue and white.

Now the Colts are 0-3 and have many questioning their approach. Should they have gone for youth over experience? Should they have traded for Brady Quinn?

He would have been better than Collins and Painter.

It would be impossible to be worse.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sport...ed-brady-quinn
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Up next: Colts should pursue Adam Weber.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We should trade him for Bradford.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

would definitely be smart for them and us...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Obviously the Colts don't know about the escalators in Brady's rookie contract...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Powderaddict

Get some value for him. It makes sense unless the Colts are taking advantage of Manning's injury to suck for luck.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Why in the hell would they want to play themselves out of Luck!?!
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Why in the hell would they want to play themselves out of Luck!?!
b/c Manning is coming back full strength next year. they don't need luck. seriously.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
b/c Manning is coming back full strength next year. they don't need luck. seriously.
Is he coming back via a ****ing time machine
Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I don't think anyone will want Quinn after seeing his last PS performance. The dude is inaccurate and streaky as a passer.

I would like to see us get something from him but doubt we will.

I think we finish the season with the QB's on the roster, I hope at some point Timbo can win the QB job from Orton, until then we can say that at least we arn't worse than KFC!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
Agamemnon

Quote:
If he does, and that's a big if, for how long? A season or two? Luck would be a perfect pick for them.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
Bronco Yoda

Me thinks they can suck-for-Luck without Quinn.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #13
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
If he does, and that's a big if, for how long? A season or two? Luck would be a perfect pick for them.
I was being a little sarcastic. All I know is they just paid Manning another huge contract so they will probably try like hell to see if he can play next season.

but that's just me. Call me crazy.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
Agamemnon

Quote:
I was being a little sarcastic. All I know is they just paid Manning another huge contract so they will probably try like hell to see if he can play next season.

but that's just me. Call me crazy.
The choice isn't up to them though. If Manning comes to the conclusion that he might become paralyzed if he keeps playing, he's going to retire. Nothing they can do about it.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 09-29-2011 at 06:49 PM..
Old 09-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #15
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
That's a worse case scenario. He could have six more seasons.
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #16
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
He will be 36 coming off a major injury, he isn't playing 6 more years.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #17
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
Serious neck injuries usually end football careers. Ask Al Wilson.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #18
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
He will be 36 coming off a major injury, he isn't playing 6 more years.
well considering he's one of the least sacked QBs usually, he can easily play another 4.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #19
Bronco Yoda

IMO, Manning has 2 more years at the most. Why would he want to risk further more serious injury. He's done it all. I say it's 50/50 he even comes back. No more than 2 years if so.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #20
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

mark my words,colts will finish 4-12 this yr. their defense alone almost beat the steelers. they've got a few wins in them.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #21
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Please someone name the last time a team traded for a QB a quarter into the season and then played the guy at all.

Midseason trades don't happen in the NFL, this is a waste of time.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #22
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
well considering he's one of the least sacked QBs usually, he can easily play another 4.
He can't even play THIS year, let alone 4 more. The guy is out getting stem cell therapy, that to me should tell you right there he isn't playing 4 more years. I'm willing to say he COULD play 2 more years if things go right for him this off season but, that doesn't mean they shouldn't draft Luck if they have the chance.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #23
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
Get some value for him. It makes sense unless the Colts are taking advantage of Manning's injury to suck for luck.
Pretty much. They've had non-stop winning seasons. They have the perfect excuse to completely fail without their fans getting riled up.

They want to suck and obtain Luck so they can continue owning face for another 12+ years.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #24
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Serious neck injuries usually end football careers. Ask Al Wilson.
Funny thing is Al is still young enough to be starting MLB for us. He had his career shortened big time. He's 34. Ray Lewis is 36.

Let's not forget Mobley either.

Manning is probably done.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #25
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quinn should yeild us a 2nd round pick
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote