The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default See this is the problem.

This is from Elway and I hate to say it but this is the problem with our F.O

"We're just three games into our first season together as a staff. And if you look at the three games, every one of them could have gone either way. If we were getting beat 41-0 in every game, I think it's a different situation."

My point is an L is an L no matter if its by 3 points or 500. They need to start thinking this way or we are going to be in big trouble for a long long time.

Here is the link to the article. Pretty good read.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...edium=facebook
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

I lost confidence in EFX when they announced Orton has a starter.It's frustrating that they still think Orton as a good QB.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I hate when close games are spun as "oh well we could have..." in a loss. Yes John, we could have. Had we not made stupid ass mistakes, a couple at the QB position, we WOULD have.

Too bad there isn't **** in the standings for "aww shucks"

God I hope they get their crap together
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post

"We're just three games into our first season together as a staff. And if you look at the three games, every one of them could have gone either way. If we were getting beat 41-0 in every game, I think it's a different situation."

My point is an L is an L no matter if its by 3 points or 500. They need to start thinking this way or we are going to be in big trouble for a long long time.

Here is the link to the article. Pretty good read.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...edium=facebook
Yeah, the loss counts the same, but the focus should be on making your team better every week. You take much more drastic measures if you are losing by 30 than if you are losing by 3.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

We needed another thread for this?
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
I am on it
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkporter View Post
Yeah, the loss counts the same, but the focus should be on making your team better every week. You take much more drastic measures if you are losing by 30 than if you are losing by 3.
The difference between the team that lost by 3 to the Raiders 3 weeks ago the team that lost by 45 last year is enormous. The team that gave up the biggest loss in team history to the Raiders was an embarrassment, it was a team of losers who did not fight and did not play despite facing the biggest rival. The difference between losing by 3 and winning by 3 is a couple of upgrades, the difference between losing by 45 and losing by 3 is a new front office, new coaching staff and a handful of starters - those are pains we do not have to go through again to get better.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
People (including myself) made these same excuses just last season.

Week 1: "man, Jacksonville only beat us by a TD and it was an early morning east coast game, we always lose those! Some good things to take from the loss."

Week 2: "**** yeah! We just crushed them Seahawks. Thomas is going to be a beast this year! Watch out rest of the NFC West if thats the best you got to offer up!"

Week 3: "We controlled the ball and marched up and down on the Colts. As soon as we find a rhythm and turn these FGs into TDs we're going to be good!"

Week 4: "Man, with a beat up club we just owned the Titans in their house, Orton looks like a pro-bowler this year! Watch out NFL, Broncos on the move!"

Week 5: "Another early east coast game against a real good Ravens team, no reason to panic here folks, we'll pick it up!"

Week 6: "We played the Jets to the wire, a few extra breaks and we knock off a team who made the AFCC last year!"

Week 7: "**** WAS THAT?!?"

See how it goes? We've scuffled and gone 1-2 against some pretty mediocre teams. Oakland dominated us and their own mistakes were the only thing that kept it close. Tennessee played a sloppy game while we had the cleanest performance in probably two or three years, but we still lost and only put up 14 points. We beat Cincy in Denver, barely, and came very close to letting Cincy get in field goal range for the win before the defense finally held up against a rookie QB.

If we only get our asses kicked by two scores in Green Bay will you take that as a positive?
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Sorry I did not see a thread on this. Chill out buddy. Smoke a joint relax and focus you angry energy on the people in the F.O. not maners
Old 09-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Quote:
Sorry I did not see a thread on this. Chill out buddy. Smoke a joint relax and focus you angry energy on the people in the F.O. not maners
If you think that response was "angry" then I dont know what to tell you
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
People (including myself) made these same excuses just last season.

Week 1: "man, Jacksonville only beat us by a TD and it was an early morning east coast game, we always lose those! Some good things to take from the loss."

Week 2: "**** yeah! We just crushed them Seahawks. Thomas is going to be a beast this year! Watch out rest of the NFC West if thats the best you got to offer up!"

Week 3: "We controlled the ball and marched up and down on the Colts. As soon as we find a rhythm and turn these FGs into TDs we're going to be good!"

Week 4: "Man, with a beat up club we just owned the Titans in their house, Orton looks like a pro-bowler this year! Watch out NFL, Broncos on the move!"

Week 5: "Another early east coast game against a real good Ravens team, no reason to panic here folks, we'll pick it up!"

Week 6: "We played the Jets to the wire, a few extra breaks and we knock off a team who made the AFCC last year!"

Week 7: "**** WAS THAT?!?"

See how it goes? We've scuffled and gone 1-2 against some pretty mediocre teams. Oakland dominated us and their own mistakes were the only thing that kept it close. Tennessee played a sloppy game while we had the cleanest performance in probably two or three years, but we still lost and only put up 14 points. We beat Cincy in Denver, barely, and came very close to letting Cincy get in field goal range for the win before the defense finally held up against a rookie QB.

If we only get our asses kicked by two scores in Green Bay will you take that as a positive?
This.

If we have other options it's time to use them. Settling is not a win first attitude and that 's what we need. Put the pride aside, open the check book, trade/cut/bench Orton and lets start winning some games.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
Jay3

The main problem is the QB thing. We were told last year that Kyle Orton was great because he had high yardage totals on high attempts. But every time a game seemed close or winnable, where his play would make a difference, the opposing defense seemed to be able to bear down and stop him.

That's Kyle Orton. Does some good things, but when you really need to, you can stop him.

Last year, we were told "the defense and the run game is the problem. Stop questioning Kyle."

Now, the defense is improved. The run game is not great, but it is improving. And it still seems like opposing teams can get done what they need to do to shut Kyle down.

So the closeness of the game is LESS encouraging, not MORE encouraging. We were led to believe last year that Kyle's greatness would really show if only there were a respectable defense and respectable run game. That has been shown to be a lie, and the thought of facing a whole season with Eeyore under center has people despondent and pulling at their eyelids.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
I lost confidence in EFX when they announced Orton has a starter.It's frustrating that they still think Orton as a good QB.
I don't think EFX thinks Orton is a good QB. Remember they did try to trade him. They only think he "gives them a better chance to win" (which I don't agree with but whatever).

I'm not going to judge the FO based on one player decision. They are going to have to make 20 - 30ish or so good player decisions for the Broncos to get back on top, and they've made a couple good ones already (Miller, Bunkley), and a couple decent ones (Moore, Franklin), and probably a couple bad ones too (trading Gaffney).

We were never going to get an established proven successful FO guy who had Super Bowl wins under his belt.. those guys already have plush jobs (maybe Pioli, but he is sucking). The Broncos had to try something slightly different. I'll wait a couple years before deciding if EFX blows or not.
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #14
Agamemnon

Elway and Fox are both full of ****. Period.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #15
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

It's a failed regieme. Time to pull the plug and bring in someone new.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #16
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Whether they play Orton or Tebow is one thing - you can agree or disagree on that, but whatever your opinion on the QB, the one thing the coaching staff absolutely must not do is panic and change the plan becuase of a couple of losses.

You see, there may have been a shortened (and therefore more challenging) offseason but there still was a plan. They worked out how they wanted the team to play, how they wanted to draft and yes, exactly what they though most important in their starting QB.

Now their plan may have been right, or it may have been wrong, but they have to stick to it. They have to show the courage of their convictions and stay true to what they believed in as other wise we are most definitely completely lost.
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #17
MacGruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
The difference between the team that lost by 3 to the Raiders 3 weeks ago the team that lost by 45 last year is enormous. The team that gave up the biggest loss in team history to the Raiders was an embarrassment, it was a team of losers who did not fight and did not play despite facing the biggest rival.
I disagree completely. It is really all about styles to me. I think this is why Fox is so enamored with his style.. because it ensures there won't be a big blowout. But take that first Raiders game this season.. the score was completely inaccurate showing how lopsided that game was and how inept the offense was.

The games may look close but because of Orton's limitations they are still no closer winning them.

What Fox is doing is playing 80s basketball... where they dribble the ball for 20 seconds of the shot clock and then run their post play.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #18
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
Whether they play Orton or Tebow is one thing - you can agree or disagree on that, but whatever your opinion on the QB, the one thing the coaching staff absolutely must not do is panic and change the plan becuase of a couple of losses.

You see, there may have been a shortened (and therefore more challenging) offseason but there still was a plan. They worked out how they wanted the team to play, how they wanted to draft and yes, exactly what they though most important in their starting QB.

Now their plan may have been right, or it may have been wrong, but they have to stick to it. They have to show the courage of their convictions and stay true to what they believed in as other wise we are most definitely completely lost.
Pretty sure they are already completely lost anyway. So I'm not sure how sticking with a brain dead plan is going to change that. Starting Orton and trying to be a run-first team with no real talent on the OL or RB corps is a really ****ing terrible plan.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #19
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Why isn't he right? All that losing by 3 pts every weeks is doing is keeping Tebow on the bench which is really what pisses most of you off!
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #20
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
No, that won't be a positive. Last year we kept it close for several games, then started to have some really ugly losses. IMO, this doesn't mean that we should start being really concerned about losing close games early this season, because that is going to lead to ugly losses. It just means we should keep perspective and be willing to change our opinions and our evaluations as the season progresses.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #21
MacGruder

What I don't understand is why they put so much public pressure on Tebow and seemingly put no pressure on Orton. It's almost as if Tebow is the one who has been losing for years holding the team back rather than Orton.

The level of criticism Orton gets publicly from the fans and players and coaches and management seems ridiculously minute compared to how he is playing.

They say the games are close but so were the ones Tebow lost last season. Orton has been shown to play worse than Tebow in actual games.. and Tebow was in the worst situation imaginable.

The Broncos are probably using the lockout as an excuse for their poor play.. but all the teams went through the same thing. Orton should have had an advantage over some other teams because he had more continuity.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #22
TheDave
Sauced...

Damn that month went fast...
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #23
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

The only one who ever had the lockout used as an excuse for his disappointing play was Tebow. the espn talking heads are all over it, "the lockout really hurt Tebow...."
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #24
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
No, that won't be a positive. Last year we kept it close for several games, then started to have some really ugly losses. IMO, this doesn't mean that we should start being really concerned about losing close games early this season, because that is going to lead to ugly losses. It just means we should keep perspective and be willing to change our opinions and our evaluations as the season progresses.
Last year we lost competitive games to good teams. This year we lose competitive games to mediocre teams.

Improvement?
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #25
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

The FO must really think Broncos fans are morons. They must think we are too stupid to see what is going on. They must think that they are just way smarter than all of us morons who buy tickets. They must think that we like losing close games because it's better to lose pretty than win ugly, right EFX?

wtf
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote