The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default College PI

Quite possibly the most lame thing about college football is how they rule defensive pass interference. Big plays are great for football, college and the NFL. It's exciting and it's what fans LOVE to see. It's too bad college football has it all wrong in regards to that PI rule. For example, Arizona vs Stanford tonight. Foles throws a perfect pass with seconds left on the clock at the end of the half. Must have been about a 50 yard pass, right in the bread basket. But heck, all the CB has to do is tackle the WR and NO TD and the ball only moves up 15 yards with the penalty so it's still a long ass FG attempt. If I'm a college CB, I'd never give up a long TD pass. I'll just tackle the guy and oh well, I'll give them 15 yards over the TD any day. At least in the NFL, that team gets the ball where the foul was, so basically 1st and goal and the 1.

This is just one of the reason why college football will never be as good as the NFL. College football rules committee needs to pull their ****in heads out of their asses and change that rule.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

I think there should be stages of pass interference.

Personally, I think the NFL has it wrong. Unless it's BLATANT, I hate seeing a team get a gift 40+ yards on third/fourth down simply because a ref was too quick w/the flag.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post

Personally, I think the NFL has it wrong. Unless it's BLATANT, I hate seeing a team get a gift 40+ yards on third/fourth down simply because a ref was too quick w/the flag.
Ya let's give the referees more responsibility...
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Pass interference, one foot down for a completion, clock stops on a first down.

About the only thing they do have right is the overtime rules.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #5
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
That would be better then how it is now. But it can't be based on how obvious or not it was. Too much grey area on that. It should simply be, if it was PI in the endzone, the ball should be on the 1 foot line, no matter what. Then all the other PI calls can be half the yardage of where the foul was, automatic 1st down.

There you go, I just fixed it for ya college rules committee.

houghtam - don't forget contact with the ground means your down, even when you're not touched.

Every time I try and get pumped for some college ball, all of those stupid loser rules turn me away.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Pass interference, one foot down for a completion, clock stops on a first down.

About the only thing they do have right is the overtime rules.
I think stopping the clock on a first down is a GREAT rule. I hate it in the NFL when teams are sitting around waiting for the chain gang while the clock ticks away.

You see a LOT less prevent defense in college late in close games. You always have a shot when the clock stops like that.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:05 AM   #7
Agamemnon

Quote:

NFL referees are pretty generous most of the time when it comes to pass interference.

Still you have a good point. Unless the defender actually tackles or severely jostles the receiver before the ball gets there, it should probably only be a 15 yarder. No one should get 40+ yards just because a defender bumps a receiver a bit.

There probably should be separate 'pass interference' and 'flagrant pass interference' penalties, but it isn't likely to happen.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 09-18-2011 at 02:11 AM..