The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default Team Make up-

Team Make up-

Is anyone else really confused by the way Fox is setting up this team. The media has speculated for weeks about our lack of dept on the OL and yet we keep more OL players than I can ever remember keeping. We also Kept a ton of DL players, while at the same time saying we need more depth there. Well in my book needing depth means the players on hand are not good enough, so rather than keeping the non good players we should see if we can find others that are better and stuff. If you can't immediately why hold onto a 2nd crappy guard who will never play ever and cut a WR who might. I don't get it. We cut NFL level depth in some areas to hold onto PS style players that played terrible in preseason. To add insult to Injury a 4-12 team has cut more players that signed with other teams than has signed cut players Huh?

So on cut down day as I watched our team make up I thought well this just goes to show us that we are actually going to be a smash mouth run heavy team that plays physical and they feel the need to have a ton of OL players. 46 passes later I think maybe we don't know who we are.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Usually part of the good depth is that those other players are more versatile and can play multiple positions (swing G/T, Swing G/C) and techniques (0-4 and end in a pinch).

Not having depth can absolutely mean we need to carry more.

...Unfortunately.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Team Make up-

Is anyone else really confused by the way Fox is setting up this team. The media has speculated for weeks about our lack of dept on the OL and yet we keep more OL players than I can ever remember keeping. We also Kept a ton of DL players, while at the same time saying we need more depth there. Well in my book needing depth means the players on hand are not good enough, so rather than keeping the non good players we should see if we can find others that are better and stuff. If you can't immediately why hold onto a 2nd crappy guard who will never play ever and cut a WR who might. I don't get it. We cut NFL level depth in some areas to hold onto PS style players that played terrible in preseason. To add insult to Injury a 4-12 team has cut more players that signed with other teams than has signed cut players Huh?

So on cut down day as I watched our team make up I thought well this just goes to show us that we are actually going to be a smash mouth run heavy team that plays physical and they feel the need to have a ton of OL players. 46 passes later I think maybe we don't know who we are.
It is not comforting to see a guy like McBean still on the team. What does he do besides commit penalties?
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
It is not comforting to see a guy like McBean still on the team. What does he do besides commit penalties?
Outperform the guy we traded Gaffney for
Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Position coaches have to be held accountable for their personnel also and their adjustments during the game.

I really think we are weak in the middle in terms of running the ball...remember our most successful years running the ball were highly controversial cut block years and we had one of the best offensive line coaches in the league. It's about getting the job done first and foremost. We got beat in all aspects of the game on Monday Night...never really did get the job done running the ball or passing. I put that on the coaches for not having the team ready to play. Tempo at practice should be game-like all week just like shannyrat use to enforce.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
Position coaches have to be held accountable for their personnel also and their adjustments during the game.

I really think we are weak in the middle in terms of running the ball...remember our most successful years running the ball were highly controversial cut block years and we had one of the best offensive line coaches in the league. It's about getting the job done first and foremost. We got beat in all aspects of the game on Monday Night...never really did get the job done running the ball or passing. I put that on the coaches for not having the team ready to play. Tempo at practice should be game-like all week just like shannyrat use to enforce.
If I remember correctly, 05 was our most successful running season (even more successful than 98) and that was after Gibbs had jumped ship to Atlanta.

Disclaimer: I might be remembering wrong, sick of looking at the computer screen trying to edit two chapters, headed off to bed so not about to look it up at the moment.

Fully agree about tempo though, so I guess just ignore my semantics nitpick.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Outperform the guy we traded Gaffney for
I wish we would have landed Albert in that trade.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
enjolras
Ring of Famer

I think Fox saw that our o-line was completely unable to open anything resembling a hole and tried to use the passing game to back the Raiders up. Of course... that didn't work.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Team Make up-

I thought they cut Stanley Daniels?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post

I thought they adjusted well at the half. Especially on D and in Pass pro.

Orton had time in the drive that he horribly fumbled the ball, even that play he had plenty of time to hit Fells on a slow developing drag or in, hard to tell on TV.

Run game is going to be dictated by the defenses we face all year. If they bring 8 KM is screwed, he is not a good enought inside runner to be patient for a hole to open up or trust that it will be there.

I was rewatching some of the Seahag PS game today because I wanted to remember what JJ was capable of at RB and there was a play inside the redzone around the 5. It was a pull by the guard and the gaps were very tight (it was goaline) but rather than follow his block and pound into the hole he tried bouncing it outside and struggled to make it back to the LOS. He has to be patient to turn it upfield and run to daylight before the daylight is there.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #11
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

One thing was more than apparent was the fact that our defense had not seen a true runningback all offseason...mcfadden was dancing through them all night. This hurts to say, but the defense tracking speed on mcfadden was 2-3 steps slow - KM's inability to hit the hole with a burst and make a move for the 11 man is obviously what our defense needs in practice. How many guys did McFadden make miss in that first half alone...it was impressive.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote