The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #51
randerson1184
Camp Arm

2015 Super Bowl Champions!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DeMarcus Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Rockies still need pitching......

'Nuff said.
Our team ERA is 5.54. I'm still learning the intricacies of the sport, but this seems kind of high.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #52
Tulsa Driller
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by randerson1184 View Post
Our team ERA is 5.54. I'm still learning the intricacies of the sport, but this seems kind of high.
Need not worry, Eddie Butler and Jonathan Gray are coming.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #53
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa Driller View Post
Need not worry, Eddie Butler and Jonathan Gray are coming.
Next season, right?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #54
Tulsa Driller
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Next season, right?
I think one or both will reach Denver this season. Both are at Double-A Tulsa now. Both are post-college pitchers so there isn't a need to coddle them and bring them along slowly. The Rockies showed in 2011 that they aren't afraid to promote a high-performing pitcher (Juan Nicasio) straight to the majors from Tulsa.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #55
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by randerson1184 View Post
Yeah, it is pathetic. Rockies might tank 100 this year -- their pitching is atrocious.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #56
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

Well, the Rox just sent Wilton Lopez down to Triple A.

Who knows for how long. He has looked absolutely TERRIBLE again this season.

Just kills me. They have the NL batting champion from last season, 2 gold glove winners, an all-star caliber SS and LF, Charlie Blackmon killing it to start the season... and then there's the pitching. Can't believe what a farce this front office is.

Last edited by crush17; 04-09-2014 at 12:17 PM..
Old 04-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #57
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Well, the Rox just sent Wilton Lopez down to Triple A.

Who knows for how long. He has looked absolutely TERRIBLE again this season.

Just kills me. They have the NL batting champion from last season, 2 gold glove winners, an all-star caliber SS and LF, Charlie Blackmon killing it to start the season... and then there's the pitching. Can't believe what a farce this front office is.
Trade with the Mariners. We need another bat, we can give up pitching.

MAKE A DEAL BRO.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #58
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Trade with the Mariners. We need another bat, we can give up pitching.

MAKE A DEAL BRO.
Just get the Monfort's liquored up I'm sure they'd agree to whatever you put on the table.

Hell the team gave away a starting CF who could switch hit (and was the lead off position) for basically a ham sandwich this past off season.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #59
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Just get the Monfort's liquored up I'm sure they'd agree to whatever you put on the table.

Hell the team gave away a starting CF who could switch hit (and was the lead off position) for basically a ham sandwich this past off season.
Fowler? I couldn't believe that. I thought we would have been interested but it looks like we are going with a young gun at CF. His OBP is in the .300 -- but he can't hit worth crap. Striking out all da time.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #60
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

SEATTLE -- Los Angeles Angels outfielder Josh Hamilton will be sidelined for six-to-eight weeks because of a torn ligament in his left thumb.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #61
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:

That trade baffled me. I can understand getting something for Fowler, but damn. All we could get was Lyles and a minor league pitcher?

The pitching is pretty shotty right now, but I don't blame the front office for not doing anything. Who are they going to sign? Sign Ubaldo back for what was it, $13 mil a year?
Tell me who would you have wanted the Rockies to waste their money on, because none of the guys available would've helped the Rockies this season. The key is the future, and Gray/Butler HAVE to develop into aces. That is what the Rockies are banking on.
If they develop as expected, the pitching looks a whole lot better.
DeLaRosa is a decent middle of the rotation guy, with Chacin and Nicasio adequate back of the rotation filler guys. Morales can just be cut, I don't know why they brought him back. Lyles has potential and is still very young, and same for Anderson.

I like the emphasis on youth and trying to build that way rather than shell out cash and hope the players pan out.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #62
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

CHICAGO — The Chicago White Sox say outfielder Avisail Garcia will miss the rest of the season because of a tear in his left shoulder.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #63
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

That sucks for White Sox.....the Tigers traded him to the White Sox last season.

Good young prospect, still only 22 years old.

I wasn't happy about trading him away last summer.

6'4 and 240 pounds....looks like he could be Miguel Cabrera's brother.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #64
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Avisail Garcia was part of that three way trade last summer that sent him to the White Sox, Jake Peavy to the Red Sox, and that worthless sack of shin splints Jose Iglesias to the Tigers.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #65
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Avisail Garcia was part of that three way trade last summer that sent him to the White Sox, Jake Peavy to the Red Sox, and that worthless sack of shin splints Jose Iglesias to the Tigers.
It really sucks that Iglesias is hurt, as Boston fan I was kinda sorry to see him go because he was great defensively.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #66
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
It really sucks that Iglesias is hurt, as Boston fan I was kinda sorry to see him go because he was great defensively.
It baffles me that Iglesias will probably miss the entire season with chronic shin splints on both legs.

If that's the case, I'd be worried about his long term ability to play an entire season.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #67
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
It baffles me that Iglesias will probably miss the entire season with chronic shin splints on both legs.

If that's the case, I'd be worried about his long term ability to play an entire season.
I'm surprised too, but maybe that why the Boston brass was willing to trade him.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #68
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

It's early in the season, but Detroit's bullpen is already shaky.

Joe Nathan is already talking about having a 'dead arm'.

Wonderful....they signed him in the offseason to a two year deal worth about $20 million to be their closer.

Nathan has pitched outstanding the last few seasons, but at 39 years old, maybe he's finally feeling his age.

I watched him shut down the Tigers for years as the Twins/Rangers closer....and then he comes to Detroit and looks like he's ready for the glue factory.

I need to be patient....it's early in the season, but Nathan has been shaky/****ty in 3 of his 4 appearances and I'm starting to clench my a-hole when he comes out to close a game and am having Todd Jones and Jose Valverde flashbacks. At least those guys would get the save more times then not....even if it meant runners at 2nd and 3rd with the batter at the plate working a full count after launching a few bombs into the stands....just foul.

Brad Ausmus said Joe Nathan had 'crisp' stuff last night after giving up 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th to blow a 6-3 lead against the Dodgers. I looked 'crisp' stuff up in the dictionary and it didn't mention giving up 3 hits (including a bomb to the centerfield stands by Adrian Gonzalez) and 2 walks.

At least Victor Martinez bailed him out with a HR in the top of the 10th inning to give the Tigers a 7-6 win.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #69
TonyR
Franchise Poster

A little early to get overly excited about it, but as a Yankee fan hard not to be thrilled with what we've seen from Michael Pineda thus far this season.

Quote:
In his first Yankee Stadium appearance, in what is reputed to be the hottest rivalry in sports, Pineda cooled down the Red Sox bats with six dominant innings, using a fastball that topped out at 96 mph and a slider that locked up both righties and lefties alike. He held the Red Sox hitless for four innings and scoreless for six, until Daniel Nava led off the seventh with a home run that accounted for Boston's only notch on the board in a 4-1 loss.
In two starts now, Pineda has struck out 12 batters and walked only two in 12 innings, and his ERA is a tidy 1.50. His career WHIP is a 1.09, which coincidentally is the same as it was in his 2011 season, when he made the AL All-Star team as a rookie Seattle Mariner and prompted the Yankees to part with Jesus Montero, who to that point they had been touting as the second coming of Bill Dickey.

Now, Montero is a washout for the Mariners but Pineda, in the second act of a still young career, looks like the kind of pitcher a team can dream on.

That is bad news for the rest of the American League and especially for the Red Sox...
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yan...n-pinedas-game
Old 04-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #70
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

pine tar!!!!

In other news the Dbacks bullpen won them a game in come from behind fashion, yes wth indeed.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #71
Tulsa Driller
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Rockies CF prospect David Dahl, the 2012 1st rounder, is ripping the cover off the ball.

https://twitter.com/benbadler/status/455428953164230656
Old 04-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #72
IndelibleScribe
#CashMoneyScribe

Greed is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
A little early to get overly excited about it, but as a Yankee fan hard not to be thrilled with what we've seen from Michael Pineda thus far this season.

About time that move started paying off for us.
Montero went to **** after we dealt him to the Mariners. I have never seen a prospect's status take a nose dive so hard.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #73
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
About time that move started paying off for us.
Montero went to **** after we dealt him to the Mariners. I have never seen a prospect's status take a nose dive so hard.
Pineda, still way too early, but damn I thought the Mariners were stupid trading him. Still iffy with his arm, some guys bounce back great(John Smoltz), some never can fully rebound(Mark Prior).

As for Montero, it just goes to show, some prospects never pan out after doing amazing in minor league ball. Or somehow it is the system and the training, some do a better job than others.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #74
IndelibleScribe
#CashMoneyScribe

Greed is good

Well the trade matched us up well. We dealt away a top hitting prospect along with a pitcher we didn't really care for but was good trade bait for Pineda who was a young up and coming star pitcher(or so we thought) and a nice SP prospect in Jose Campos(who also got hurt and is now a RP for us)
Old 04-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #75
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
and a nice SP prospect in Jose Campos..
Quote:
...not only are the Yankees winning the Jesus Montero trade because of Pineda, but Jose Campos, too, the other pitcher in the trade. The 21-year-old impressed several Yankees with his stuff during the spring.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yan...first-13-games
Closed Thread