The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2018, 12:02 PM   #2976
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Ok fair enough. Most SBs are joke though also.

I just still can't believe with 300+m people in our country we could field a team to compete against Saudi Arabia? Panama?

I wonder if our soccer program will actually get worse since less and less kids seem interested in sports in America.

If video soccer becomes an Olympic sport we will be global super power!
Youth Soccer participation is down. But itís because American traveling teams are expensive. They have to fix that. That said, our young kids on the national team right now have a ton of potential. I know it was just a friendly, but they drew Frances A team just before the WC started.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #2977
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Youth Soccer participation is down. But itís because American traveling teams are expensive. They have to fix that. That said, our young kids on the national team right now have a ton of potential. I know it was just a friendly, but they drew Frances A team just before the WC started.

I think it's more than just youth soccer participation that's down. Just drive around any city park on a Saturday. Parks are mostly empty. I'm not talking organized sports. I'm talking pick up games of football, soccer, basketball or baseball. Fields use to be full of kids 20-30 years ago. These days you might see some kids sitting on a bench texting.

Organized sports are also down. There is a crisis going on with hunting and fishing permit funding also. Kids just don't get outside like generations before. The term "lazy Americans" is being redefined.

Before some dad gets all upset I'm not talking about your kid if he's not on the couch all day. I'm taking about the other 22 million of them that are.

Just try and find a kid willing to mow or rake a yard these days. Almost impossible. If they do pick up a rake good luck getting them to hold it for 45 seconds before texting. Lol

I admit. I've become the old pessimistic guy concerned about the next generation like the previous one was of ours.

I think the USA soccer program is just a reflection of growing trend. Maybe I'm wrong but millions of soccer balls, baseball bats, and footballs use to be wrapped under Christmas trees. Now it's iPhones.

Youth sports participation was tanking as of 2012. I'm guessing this trend only accelerated the 6 years since then. https://www.wsj.com/articles/youth-p...cer-1391138849

14 percent drop in youth soccer!!!
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/14/s...h-decline.html

Last edited by Meck77; 07-15-2018 at 01:24 PM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #2978
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #2979
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

What a disappointing finals. Croatia was the better team out of the gate. Two bad breaks and self-inflicted goals changed the whole dynamic of the game. Sloppy by both sides.
Brohemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:22 PM   #2980
balero
The Big Fellow

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brohemoth View Post
What a disappointing finals. Croatia was the better team out of the gate. Two bad breaks and self-inflicted goals changed the whole dynamic of the game. Sloppy by both sides.
Iím sure you would have enjoyed the **** out of it if it ended 0-0 and was decided by PKs.
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:04 AM   #2981
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
I would argue that France play a style where theyíre in control of the match even when they donít have possession. Their defenders in Kante and Varane are even better than their forwards, with the exception of Mbappe.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:32 AM   #2982
Nordcore
French Broncos Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I would argue that France play a style where theyíre in control of the match even when they donít have possession. Their defenders in Kante and Varane are even better than their forwards, with the exception of Mbappe.
we've lost too many games in the history of our football team against Italy or Germany who played like that.

We learned the lesson.

Our team isn't the most spectacular but this team is very effective.
Nordcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:39 AM   #2983
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
Iím sure you would have enjoyed the **** out of it if it ended 0-0 and was decided by PKs.
I love scoring. But that game was basically two fluke goals and Croatia trying to climb out of an undeserved hole. The time between Croatia's first goal and France's third and fourth goal was pretty exciting, but it was never a fair battle.

Put yourself in Croatia's shoes. The ref gifts France a goal and then you score another on yourself. That just breaks a team's spirit, especially against a France team that was likely going to win without the help.

The key in a game like that is forcing the other team to play your own style. Neither team earned that. Instead the style defaulted to France by dumb luck in the first half. That's why I think it was a ****ty finals.

It's like spotting the Patriots a 14-0 lead. **** that.
Brohemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:51 AM   #2984
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
I love scoring. But that game was basically two fluke goals and Croatia trying to climb out of an undeserved hole. The time between Croatia's first goal and France's third and fourth goal was pretty exciting, but it was never a fair battle.

Put yourself in Croatia's shoes. The ref gifts France a goal and then you score another on yourself. That just breaks a team's spirit, especially against a France team that was likely going to win without the help.

The key in a game like that is forcing the other team to play your own style. Neither team earned that. Instead the style defaulted to France by dumb luck in the first half. That's why I think it was a ****ty finals.

To be fair Croatia sucked at covering set pieces the whole tournament, so the first two goals were pretty fitting.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #2985
balero
The Big Fellow

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Good points. Even with your quibbles with the match, you have to put this final in context. Youíre saying itís ****ty when most of the World Cup finals have been blah since Argentina-West Germany in 1986. It just seems like youíre holding the final to an unreasonable standard that very few have met and most of them occurred 1986 and prior.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/07/13/ra...-all-time/amp/
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:01 AM   #2986
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

So Nice to not have the USA in the cup. NO "this time americans will get into it Bullsh*t"
How many times has soccer been shoved in our face and telling us to like it?
I remember the New York Cosmos with Pele. It didnt happen. Fast forward to Beckam. Did it happen? Ummmm Again NO. Why not? Because soccer Sucks.
Diving worse than LeBron. No clock? Why does our soccer suck? Because it does.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:31 AM   #2987
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
So Nice to not have the USA in the cup. NO "this time americans will get into it Bullsh*t"
I remember the New York Cosmos with Pele. It didnt happen. Fast forward to Beckam. Did it happen? Ummmm Again NO. Why not? Because soccer Sucks.
Itís the 2nd most popular sport to play for our youth. It just doesnít hold a candle to other American spectator sports. One reason is because the best athletes in the world play in foriegn leagues. Watching MLS is like watching the minor leagues.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #2988
Ratboy
I want pure energy

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
You know what really sucks? Spending 3 1/2 hours watching a game that only has 11 minutes of play time.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:23 AM   #2989
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

Hey, if it were up to me the NFL would go back to the 30 second clock, i always hated P Manning waving his arms around and trying to get the perfect play and in the end handing off for a one yard gain.
BUT better than watching "diving" idiots run around for 90 mins
Old 07-22-2018, 04:42 AM   #2990
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

Quote:
You know what really sucks? Spending 3 1/2 hours watching a game that only has 11 minutes of play time.
I cant say i know soccer- i dont. But in 90 mins how many real scoring opportunities are there? 5 mins? 2 mins? 3-2 is considered a crazy shootout?
Old 07-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #2991
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I cant say i know soccer- i dont. But in 90 mins how many real scoring opportunities are there? 5 mins? 2 mins? 3-2 is considered a crazy shootout?
3-2 is likely at least 30 shots and at least 10 shots on target. Not as many as basketball, but each score is a hundred times more exiting. Goooooool!
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #2992
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Hey, if it were up to me the NFL would go back to the 30 second clock, i always hated P Manning waving his arms around and trying to get the perfect play and in the end handing off for a one yard gain.
BUT better than watching "diving" idiots run around for 90 mins
Iíll nexer understand peopleís hatred of soccer. If you donít like it, fine, but why are you offended by it?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:38 AM   #2993
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

Way too much jogging around. Way too much heinz ward cheap shots crap going on.
Fun to play i guess. boiring as hell to watch.
Around the world super cheap to play. just use a sheeps bladder or a deposed a dictators head..
Old 07-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #2994
Smiling Assassin27
I Still Like Beer

NFL QBs With Their Daddy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rolls Royce

Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote