The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What is your favorite decade of music?
1950's- Some consider this decade to be the birth of popular rock n roll 2 4.00%
1960's- Pop Rock really gets cranked up this decade 1 2.00%
1970's- Era of Classic Rock and Disco 13 26.00%
1980's- Disco transitions to New Wave, also Hair Bands 19 38.00%
1990's- Alternative dominant this decade 14 28.00%
2000's- Many musical styles Pop, Metal, R&B, but no single styles seems to stick out 0 0%
2010's- Can't really identify with much of the recent music 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #51
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

As a certified "Old Fart" I was hard pressed to chose a "Best " decade.
I was in high school , then early Army in the sixties. So that is my most
reminiscient and formulative decade, and one of my favorites. I used to think the Beatles were the best band then....and now its definitely the Stones that had more Impact...which of course continued into the 90s.

Loved the 70s due to it being my early adult period and the 80s too.

But the best and most memorable Music I seem to favor is actually the 90s.
I have the largest amount of 90s songs.

The stuff 2000 to 2009 is Okay. And almost everything I hear from 2010 on is unremarkable at best, and mostly drivel.

Taste is too personal to call anyone elses picks out.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #52
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Well it was the birth of rock'roll so I think the 50's have to be in a category all there own.....
And the culture wasn't really ready yet for the social upheaval rock was going to bring.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #53
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Roll View Post
Favorite music years 1967-1982.
I definitely have a window there that's big for me. But another one from the early 90's to the early 00's.

Really it was the hair metal age I could never really get with, with a few exceptions.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #54
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
Although I do enjoy some of the music from the eighties. The only artists that changed music from that era were the Sex Pistols.
This is so fitting from Quoydogs. A whole decade behind the Sex Pistols it is almost like he does this on purpose.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #55
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
This is so fitting from Quoydogs. A whole decade behind the Sex Pistols it is almost like he does this on purpose.
Sid Vicious died in 1979 just two years after another popular 80ís icon, Elvis Presley!
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #56
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
Prince is from 77 , G&R again just copied what had been done, Although Metallica is great they did not change music history, MJ was the 60's , Not sure on the OP IVy
The Ramones are who you should be crediting for the punk scene....still 70's.

Operation Ivy was a massive shift in that scene, you can pretty much thank them for every popular punk band after 1987.

MJ, Prince and Madonna basically created modern pop music. Prince and MJ specifically. Doesn't matter when they started, it's when they did it.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 PM   #57
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trevor Penrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post

Operation Ivy was a massive shift in that scene, you can pretty much thank them for every popular punk band after 1987.

MJ, Prince and Madonna basically created modern pop music. Prince and MJ specifically. Doesn't matter when they started, it's when they did it.
I am not a big Punk guy but I would put Iggy and the Stooges in there at the start too. Sex pistols made punk popular.

I would argue that todays modern music is based on Disco, simple bass and drums with a focus on a beat to dance to. EDM really started from synth bands like Kraftwerk.

Plus in the early days of punk bands like Blondie, Talking Heads, Television, were considered punk to the general public, maybe it was the CBGS tie in. The leather and piercing crowd was mostly Stooges and Ramones and Sex Pistols though. I would bow to any guys like Hogan who know punk better than me.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:33 PM   #58
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHAD KELLY

90s by a shade over the 70s.

I dunno if music is like movies, but for the most part, movies were on one decade, off one decade, on, off: on 50s, 70s, 90s (for the most part).
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:21 AM   #59
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHAD KELLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I would argue that todays modern music is based on Disco, simple bass and drums with a focus on a beat to dance to. EDM really started from synth bands like Kraftwerk.
Quote:
Lots of truth in both statements ... it's too easy to label a style of music, then based on that label, people will automatically like or hate it, which is all wrong in so many ways.

Best example of what's real - the melding of styles - is guitarist/composer/producer extraordinaire Nile Rodgers. Before producing much of Madonna's work in the 80s, he wrote numerous disco hits including Let's Dance, Le Freak, We are Family, He's the Greatest Dancer, I'm Coming Out, and many others.

In 1981, Sugar Hill Gang released 'Rapper's Delight,' which is universally credited as the first rap hit. That song heavily sampled Good Times, a disco hit by the group Chic, which was written by Rodgers. He first thought to sue for the use of his composition, but after talking with the band, settled for a co-writer credit, and embraced rap as a style. He advised RunDMC and other acts to employ samples, and RunDMC's sample of Aerosmith's Walk This Way was the first big breakout for hip hop.

Rodgers went on to work with, compose for or produce LL Cool J, David Bowie (co-wrote Let's Dance and much of that album), Pharrell Williams, Daft Punk (wrote Get Lucky), Justin Timberlake, Shakira, Notorious BIG, Ariana Grande. No Labels ... No Boundaries.

Nile Rodgers
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:41 AM   #60
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN

I was just scolling through youtube and I don't remember ewver seeing this video before. Always been one of my favorite songs.

This is what rock and roll is too me. Great guitar and some Blues to it..... such a good song.

Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:03 AM   #61
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Lots of truth in both statements ... it's too easy to label a style of music, then based on that label, people will automatically like or hate it, which is all wrong in so many ways.

Best example of what's real - the melding of styles - is guitarist/composer/producer extraordinaire Nile Rodgers. Before producing much of Madonna's work in the 80s, he wrote numerous disco hits including Let's Dance, Le Freak, We are Family, He's the Greatest Dancer, I'm Coming Out, and many others.

In 1981, Sugar Hill Gang released 'Rapper's Delight,' which is universally credited as the first rap hit. That song heavily sampled Good Times, a disco hit by the group Chic, which was written by Rodgers. He first thought to sue for the use of his composition, but after talking with the band, settled for a co-writer credit, and embraced rap as a style. He advised RunDMC and other acts to employ samples, and RunDMC's sample of Aerosmith's Walk This Way was the first big breakout for hip hop.

Rodgers went on to work with, compose for or produce LL Cool J, David Bowie (co-wrote Let's Dance and much of that album), Pharrell Williams, Daft Punk (wrote Get Lucky), Justin Timberlake, Shakira, Notorious BIG, Ariana Grande. No Labels ... No Boundaries.

Nile Rodgers
Genres and labels aren't an issue. If someone writes off music because of how it gets classified, that's their loss.

For some people it's just about the music. For a great many it's the message, style or community it might represent. There's no right way to consume these things. Taste is 100% subjective...that's why people can have a favorite decade of music, but no era of music is actually "better" than another.

Even the current one which sounds like some dookie to me.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:24 AM   #62
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Genres and labels aren't an issue. If someone writes off music because of how it gets classified, that's their loss.

For some people it's just about the music. For a great many it's the message, style or community it might represent. There's no right way to consume these things. Taste is 100% subjective...that's why people can have a favorite decade of music, but no era of music is actually "better" than another.

Even the current one which sounds like some dookie to me.
Actually there is scientific evidence that pop music is getting worse every year.
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote