The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #4376
Boogerboots
Ring of Famer

Stop the car!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BobDougMcKenzie

Needs moar 'Happy S#!tting'!
Boogerboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #4377
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
As much money as HBO has, its not exactly a bottomless pit. All things considered, i think the show has been fantastic this season. Yes, they've had to play a bit fast and loose with the passage of time, but i think its unavoidable. They've gotten a bit convenient with the storytelling (Gilly!), but man, you're not at the edge of your seat throughout the episode? I love this show.
I still have to watch. All this is just something to keep in mind when people delude themselves connecting fanboy plotline dots making the writing seem much more detailed and thoughtful than it really is.

At this point, the depth of writing could be managed by most aspiring young film school students. This thing is coasting on pure fumes of reputation. Nothing new or interesting is being built. We're watching the dismantling of something that once was.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #4378
jutang
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Either way, a lot of aspects are a bit disappointing currently. Does anyone know what level is Martin's involvement in the show at this stage?
I can't see Martin thinking the best way for Cersei to make temporary peace is to gather a LOTR fellowship and drag a corpse or white walker to King's Landing. The plot is so contrived other than a vehicle to show a big action sequence next week. It's like Michael Bay took over the screen writing.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #4379
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Too be fair, he was wearing armor and was sinking pretty fast at the end of the prior episode. Even if they were looking for him above, they wouldn't have found him as he jogged his way across and under the lake. So the fact that he walked along the lake's bottom to get to the other side with Brohn without being seen is just pure skill and common logic..
This is in fact how Aquaman came to be. When Jaime found out he can jog and breath underwater.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #4380
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I still have to watch. All this is just something to keep in mind when people delude themselves connecting fanboy plotline dots making the writing seem much more detailed and thoughtful than it really is.

At this point, the depth of writing could be managed by most aspiring young film school students. This thing is coasting on pure fumes of reputation. Nothing new or interesting is being built. We're watching the dismantling of something that once was.
Ok, stop. As someone who gets paid to write in hollywood (though, granted, not at that level, though I've optioned/sold a few screenplays throughout my time here) this level of writing could not be achieved by film students. Clearly, you've never read most film students' scripts.

Here's the issue, Game of Thrones is a huge world with nearly countless storylines that they have to wrap up in a finite number of episodes. Problem is, they need money for the big battles ahead, so have to ramp up the story in a way that makes narrative sense, but also adheres to a budget. They've cut some corners i nthe name of doing that, but man, they are doing a great job of juggling it and creating a great piece of drama.

Fumes? Please. Every friggin sunday is an event these days, and its not because they show sucks.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #4381
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Ok, stop. As someone who gets paid to write in hollywood (though, granted, not at that level, though I've optioned/sold a few screenplays throughout my time here) this level of writing could not be achieved by film students. Clearly, you've never read most film students' scripts.
It was a bit of hyperbole, but you know what I'm saying.

Quote:
Here's the issue, Game of Thrones is a huge world with nearly countless storylines that they have to wrap up in a finite number of episodes. Problem is, they need money for the big battles ahead, so have to ramp up the story in a way that makes narrative sense, but also adheres to a budget. They've cut some corners i nthe name of doing that, but man, they are doing a great job of juggling it and creating a great piece of drama.

Fumes? Please. Every friggin sunday is an event these days, and its not because they show sucks.
Return of the Jedi out-earned ESB. Not because it was anywhere near the same level. Fact of the matter is after all that groundbreaking build-up people just had to see how the series ended.

Now they're simply cashing the checks that were earned several seasons ago.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:33 AM   #4382
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
This is in fact how Aquaman came to be. When Jaime found out he can jog and breath underwater.
At least that would be something.

Surprise! I'm alive and uncaptured unlike everyone else of any importance!

How? Meh.

Writers still needed me.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #4383
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
How many episodes do they have left to wrap up the whole thing?

2 more this year and 6 or 7 next year?

Budget aside, that has to involve some very difficult compression and streamlining of storylines.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #4384
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
It was a bit of hyperbole, but you know what I'm saying.

Return of the Jedi out-earned ESB. Not because it was anywhere near the same level. Fact of the matter is after all that groundbreaking build-up people just had to see how the series ended.

Now they're simply cashing the checks that were earned several seasons ago.
I think its A LOT more difficult than you're giving them credit for is my point. Just think how many things happened in this past episode that would have been the centerpiece of episodes in past seasons. (Jamie/Tyrion, Jorah returning, Gendry returning, Jon going to Eastwatch, etc etc etc)
Old 08-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #4385
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
How many episodes do they have left to wrap up the whole thing?

2 more this year and 6 or 7 next year?

Budget aside, that has to involve some very difficult compression and streamlining of storylines.
2 more this year, and apparently 6 super sized ones next year?

And I agree. i think, all things considered, they're doing a pretty amazing job. I'll forgive the Gilly corner cuts.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #4386
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I think its A LOT more difficult than you're giving them credit for is my point. Just think how many things happened in this past episode that would have been the centerpiece of episodes in past seasons. (Jamie/Tyrion, Jorah returning, Gendry returning, Jon going to Eastwatch, etc etc etc)
I get that it's hard. My biggest criticism has been the artificial episode shortage to wrap this whole thing up. The most disastrous time possible to essentially lop 30% off of a season. Now how many sharks are they going to have to jump to collapse at the finish line?
Old 08-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #4387
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:

And I agree. i think, all things considered, they're doing a pretty amazing job. I'll forgive the Gilly corner cuts.
The last season is set for release in Dec/Jan of 2018/2019 and it is supposed to be 6 episodes. So, almost 1 year and a 1/2 from now.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #4388
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I get that it's hard. My biggest criticism has been the artificial episode shortage to wrap this whole thing up. The most disastrous time possible to essentially lop 30% off of a season. Now how many sharks are they going to have to jump to collapse at the finish line?
I assume its a budget issue. It costs a lot to have 80 shots of Dany flying Drogon.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #4389
tonngo0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Yeah, and it also means that Jon (likely not his first name), is the true heir to the Iron Throne and King of Westeros. ALL IN THE FAMILY.
Wouldn't Jon is a bastard too ? cause R and L never was officially married.
tonngo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #4390
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

They should just use construction paper for the dragons, direwolves and Others. Take a page out of the Trey Parker and Matt Stone playbook like they did for South Park back in the day.

Draft Picks:

Round 1: 5th overall - Quenton Nelson, G - Notre Dame
Round 2: 24th overall - Ronald Jones, RB - USC
Round 3: 74th overall - Jamarco Jones, OT - Ohio State
Round 4: 109th overall - Jeff Holland, OLB/PRS - Auburn
Round 4: 128th overall - JC Jackson, CB - Maryland
Round 5: 161st overall - Tegray Scales, LB - Indiana
Round 5: 163rd overall - Jaleel Scott, WR - New Mexico State
Round 6: 182nd overall - Durham Smythe, TE - Notre Dame
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #4391
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonngo0 View Post
They were officially (but secretly) married. That was the whole point of Gilly scene last night.
Brohemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #4392
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I LOVE that it was Gilly who dropped that bombshell. And I LOVE that Sam was too preoccupied to notice.

It's the big/little things that make this show great: Aria at the crossroads: Kill Cersei? - Help Jon... Kill Cerci? Yeah? Nah.. Help Jon.

Sure, the geography problems can be annoying if you let 'em. And the setup of the Magnificent Seven Quest was cheesy.

Ask anyone who has DM'd a D&D campaign into Epic level: After a certain point, the characters have leveled up to where they pretty much teleport at will to wherever they need to be. It's a PITA to try & manage, Like herding cats. And it's always a cringe worthy, contrived mess to get an experienced party out of the inn & down the road toward their quest.

That's not why we do it. We do it for the Epic Awesomeness that comes next!

Relax & enjoy the ride. Or not. Some people derive their enjoyment from the nit-picking. I get that.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #4393
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonngo0 View Post
Gilly mentioned the annulment of Rhaegar and his Martell wife to Sam in last night's episode. Which likely means that Rhaegar and Lyanna Stark ended up getting married in secret, which makes Jon a Targaryen and the legitimate Heir to the Iron Throne. Also the Prince Who Was Promised and a bunch of other things. I'm just connecting the dots.

Draft Picks:

Round 1: 5th overall - Quenton Nelson, G - Notre Dame
Round 2: 24th overall - Ronald Jones, RB - USC
Round 3: 74th overall - Jamarco Jones, OT - Ohio State
Round 4: 109th overall - Jeff Holland, OLB/PRS - Auburn
Round 4: 128th overall - JC Jackson, CB - Maryland
Round 5: 161st overall - Tegray Scales, LB - Indiana
Round 5: 163rd overall - Jaleel Scott, WR - New Mexico State
Round 6: 182nd overall - Durham Smythe, TE - Notre Dame
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #4394
manchambo
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Too be fair, he was wearing armor and was sinking pretty fast at the end of the prior episode. Even if they were looking for him above, they wouldn't have found him as he jogged his way across and under the lake. So the fact that he walked along the lake's bottom to get to the other side with Brohn without being seen is just pure skill and common logic..
This is a scene where they needed to provide more explanation. For example, they could have shown Bronn drag Jamie to the surface, hide under a log--something. Or (and I think this would have been better) they could have shown Tyrion passively help them. For example, Tyrion is riding with Dothraki rounding up prisoners, sees Jamie and Bronn, and distracts the people he's with so they go somewhere else.

The problem is that the end of the last episode promised something. Is he alive or dead? Will he escape or be captured. And that promise was resolved with a wet fart.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #4395
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
They should just use construction paper for the dragons, direwolves and Others. Take a page out of the Trey Parker and Matt Stone playbook like they did for South Park back in the day.
haha we could stretch it then!
Old 08-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #4396
manchambo
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
Because he's a creepy SOB. And I do think he had feelings for Caitlin, but that did not stop him at the end of the day to try and murder her kids. He loves the Iron Throne more than he loves any person.

I don't think so. He wants Sansa bad.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #4397
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post
The problem is that the end of the last episode promised something. Is he alive or dead? Will he escape or be captured. And that promise was resolved with a wet fart.
Best point of all. This was THE episode cliffhanger. People talked about it all week.

Next episode... "Oh, that? He just got up and walked away. Nobody noticed."
Old 08-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #4398
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Best point of all. This was THE episode cliffhanger. People talked about it all week.

Next episode... "Oh, that? He just got up and walked away. Nobody noticed."
You really thought Jamie was gonna die?

C'man. I don't have a problem with it and didn't need some big logistical thing just to get to the obvious conclusion.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #4399
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
You really thought Jamie was gonna die?

C'man. I don't have a problem with it and didn't need some big logistical thing just to get to the obvious conclusion.
Actually I thought he'd be captured (as we discussed last week)

Because there was no conceivable way in that situation for him to end up anything but dead or captured.

Now if you wanna break out of that, fine. But it should involve something more than "Oh, yeah. We acted like that was a thing, but it wasn't really a thing. Move along."
Old 08-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #4400
tonngo0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Gilly mentioned the annulment of Rhaegar and his Martell wife to Sam in last night's episode. Which likely means that Rhaegar and Lyanna Stark ended up getting married in secret, which makes Jon a Targaryen and the legitimate Heir to the Iron Throne. Also the Prince Who Was Promised and a bunch of other things. I'm just connecting the dots.
Yes, it could be they have not married yet. Then again, anything is and everything are possible in GOT.
tonngo0 is offline   Reply With Quote