The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #101
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Also, I hate the ATT Sportsnet Broadcast crew. Are they specifically told to NEVER 2nd guess a manager on air? It was obvious that pitching change didn't work, but nary a mention of questioning the change.

They NEVER question anything from the management to upper management. It's like state-run tv but for the Rockies. I also don't like how they attempt to put a positive spin on EVERYTHING. Sometimes there are just things that don't deserve a positive spin. Period.
SVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #102
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVine View Post
Really bad decision by Black. Bettis was cruising, and was under 100 pitches. Shaw is scuffling, and hand the ball to him?

Shaw ****ing sucks. I hate him right now. Bring him in just to hang some pitches right over the middle of the plate. Ridiculous.
Throwing good money after bad.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:25 PM   #103
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Also, I hate the ATT Sportsnet Broadcast crew. Are they specifically told to NEVER 2nd guess a manager on air? It was obvious that pitching change didn't work, but nary a mention of questioning the change.

They NEVER question anything from the management to upper management. It's like state-run tv but for the Rockies. I also don't like how they attempt to put a positive spin on EVERYTHING. Sometimes there are just things that don't deserve a positive spin. Period.
If,you've never been anywhere, you're just happy to be there.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:27 PM   #104
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Brian Shaw is such a ****ing disaster lol
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:13 PM   #105
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Well, that was uplifting.

Look at Shaw's year-over-year statline. Something is seriously wrong. He's never been anywhere near this bad.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:36 PM   #106
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Gray sucks again.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:53 AM   #107
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Gray sucks again.
I actually thought it was an important outing. He was very unfortunate in the first inning with BABIP. To give up 4 runs in the first 3 innings with a high pitch count and then to get through the 6th was an excellent comeback. Something he hasnít done a lot of. Heís been either great, or bad. Having a game where he had to struggle and overcome is a good sign.
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:01 AM   #108
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
I actually thought it was an important outing. He was very unfortunate in the first inning with BABIP. To give up 4 runs in the first 3 innings with a high pitch count and then to get through the 6th was an excellent comeback. Something he hasnít done a lot of. Heís been either great, or bad. Having a game where he had to struggle and overcome is a good sign.
Yeah, I agree with you here. When I posted that message, it was right after he gave up 2 more runs in the 3rd.

Right after the Rockies scored 3 runs to tie in the bottom of the 3rd, and Gray in the top of the 4th, and he had traffic on the corners with 1 out, I was in the middle of typing up a frustration email. Struggling Rockies offense scored 3 runs to tie, and Gray comes out and is on the verge of giving those runs back and Chris Rusin starts warming up. But..... he gets two weak pop-ups to end the inning and get out of it with the score still tied.

Looking and remembering how that game went, he did give up a lot of weak hits. Ground balls that find their way into the outfield. Other than the home run, and the ball over Parra's head (which should have been caught if Parra wasn't playing so close), Gray didn't get hit too hard.

This was an important in between game. His fastball wasn't working for him. But his slider and curve were good and he was able to get through that game with his curve and slider.

I heard the broadcast crew state that hitters are hitting over .300 off of his fastball (and over .500 in this last 3 starts). In order for Gray to overcome his struggles, that number HAS to improve.

Last edited by SVine; 05-26-2018 at 08:36 AM..
Old 05-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #109
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

7:10 Start time tonight. Kinda weird. Home night games at one time had 7pm starts, but I believe that its been approximately 10 years since they regularly had 7pm starts. Now most home games have 6:40 starts. They even have some 6:10 starts mixed in (usually on a Saturday), but today is Saturday, but game starts at 7:10.

Kinda strange.

But...I like it.... if I was a fan attending the game. On tv, I'd rather stick to the earlier start times.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #110
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

I have a feeling Desmond is about to be DFA'd soon.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #111
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Quote:

Oh don't dare critique the corporate shill Drew Goodman! The guy that has never had an opinion once that wasn't backed by management.

Last edited by KipCorrington25; 05-26-2018 at 11:34 PM..
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:30 PM   #112
TheRationalist
Psychologist

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
Oh don't dare critique the corporate shill Drew Goodman! The guy that has never had an opinion once that wasn't back by management.
ATT Sportsnet Is awful. Goodman is OK, and Jenny is pretty good for a rookie... but the rest of the crew is garbage.

Spilly is is just a goofball that doesn't ever provide any additional value except the occasional quip about his time as a player. Don't really think there's much value to Huson either.

Taylor McGregor is awful... awkward pauses, misused and or cliched idioms, and pointless sideline reports. I swear tonight she had a report about how much she liked her job. It's like WTF I seriously don't care.
TheRationalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:50 PM   #113
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

It's games like this that make me say "I ****ing hate this goddam game".

Colorado remains in 1st place, but they don't deserve it. Oh well. Some other team will go on a tear and bury the Rockies in the division standings anyway.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:53 PM   #114
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

I mean, seriously... It's a goddamn miracle this team is where they are.

They have probably the worst offensive production from the catcher position in baseball history. Their bench (with the exception of Cuevas) is god-awful.

And their bullpen... If your name is not Ottavino or Davis. You are ****ing terrible.

This team doesn't deserve the starting pitching they have.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:54 PM   #115
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I didn't watch tonight. It's probably for the best.

The bullpen is a fool's game, man. Last year's Rusin and Shaw locked things down. Last year Ottavino had one of the most frustrating seasons I've ever seen (still loved him, though - unlike SVine, who wanted to cut off his testicles ). This year, it's all the complete opposite.

The Dodgers are still going to run away with the NL West. It sucks. But $250 million eventually rises to the top.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #116
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

I am going to take a look at the team and sort them into 3 categories: Exceeding expectations, meeting expectations, and failing to meet expectations. This is determined primarily based on stats.

Exceeding Expectations
Cuevas (it might be time to start giving him regular at bats)
Arenado (exceeding simply because he has no one hitting behind him well, yet he's throwing out a .320
Ottavino (Been great. Bullpen MVP.)
Davis (Very good year.)
Freeland (Very good year.)
Bettis (Very good year.)

Meeting Expectations
LaMahieu (sucks he's on the dl again. Team needs him back desperately.)
Parra (underperforming for a 5 hole hitter, but he's been much better than other outfielders)
Blackmon (a big slump has brought his numbers down, but I have no doubts he'll bounce back. Not ready to move him to a lower category.)
Dahl (starting to put it together, but need consistency)
Story (hitting .237- and that's what to expect of him. Need him to be about .260 though for the Rockies to stay in contention.)
Iannetta (he's meeting my expectations- but that doesn't help the team. He adds NOTHING to the Rockies. At least Wolters can throw out basestealers.)
Marquez (Good but inconsistent)
T Anderson (Same)

Failing to Meet Expectations
CarGo (Time to let him go. He's a cancer.)
McMahan (He's young and has plenty of opportunity to put it together.)
Desmond (Should be playing in some minor independent league)
Castro (He sucks plain and simple.)
Wolters (He sucks.)
Valaika (Might be the 2nd most disappointing numbers other than Desmond)
McGhee (Sucks)
Shaw (Sucks)
Dunn (Sucks)
Senzatela (Sucks)
Rusin (Sucks)

Pounders and Musgrave had too few appearances to put in above categories.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #117
balero
The Big Fellow

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Rockies Place Adam Ottavino On 10-Day DL https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...10-day-dl.html
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:33 PM   #118
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Frustrated about Ottavino. Now, the Rockies have no one whatsoever that can be relied upon to get late inning outs prior to the 9th inning, although perhaps Musgrave might be playing himself into an important reliever role.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #119
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Frustrated about Ottavino. Now, the Rockies have no one whatsoever that can be relied upon to get late inning outs prior to the 9th inning, although perhaps Musgrave might be playing himself into an important reliever role.
Of course this happens as we face the Giants and D-Backs.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #120
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Weird stuff in Giants game.

Giants pitcher Smardjza goes 1 IP 2 runs and comes out of the game. Broadcast showed him furious as he broke a bat over his knee and fuming as he walked down the steps into the visitors clubhouse.

Giants put in Derek Rodgriguez- son of Ivan "Pudge" Rogriguez making his MLB debut.

What happened to Smardjza? Officially, it will go as some sort of injury, as the reliever took as long as Rodriguez took as long as he needed to warm up, but I am questioning the legitimacy of that. I am wondering if he was pulled for ineffectiveness as he was getting crushed (several line drive hits and a couple of titanic foul balls- one went above the Mountain Ranch Club.

The Giants stated that he had tightness in his right shoulder, but I honestly think he might have been pulled due to ineffectiveness and he wasn't not happy about that breaking a bat out of anger.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #121
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Can't stand Gray's inconsistency. Tons of traffic again tonight. Doesn't matter if he limits damage in these jams or not.

The bullpen hates him.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #122
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Gray goes 3 1/3 IP 4 R with 91 pitches. Last 2 hitters were walked with bases loaded to tie the game. Gray leaves the game with the bases loaded so he could potentially be charged with up to 7 runs.

What a ****ing disaster.

EDIT: Harrison Musgrave bails out Gray by getting his first batter to line into a double play.

Gray gets charged with only 4 runs, but he deserved 7.

Last edited by SVine; 05-30-2018 at 07:06 PM..
Old 05-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #123
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Can't stand Gray's inconsistency. Tons of traffic again tonight. Doesn't matter if he limits damage in these jams or not.

The bullpen hates him.
I am so frustrated with him. Bud Black looked pissed tonight. Iíd love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation.

I find the thing with Freeland last year more interesting all the time - both the fact that Bud did it, and the way Freeland responded to it. Freeland clearly has a toughness that Gray hasnít shown, at least to this point in his career.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:58 PM   #124
Coldcity76
Ring of Famer

Broncos < Chiefs/Raiders/Chargers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bruce Smith

Somebody wake me when the rockies stop wasting money on paying for position players and starts paying for pitching...

Grey sucks it was easy to see he was a bust he threw a tantrum like a 6 year old boy when he got hit around.
Coldcity76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:43 PM   #125
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldcity76 View Post
Somebody wake me when the rockies stop wasting money on paying for position players and starts paying for pitching...

Grey sucks it was easy to see he was a bust he threw a tantrum like a 6 year old boy when he got hit around.
Wow. The only thing hotter than your astute football takes are these scorchin' ideas you have about baseball.

Did you follow the team's offseason? They spent over $100 million on, wait for it, pitching.

Are you saying they should have given up on what is one of the best young rotations in the majors? To sign, what, Yu Darvish?

And you're right. What's the point in watching? Heck, they're not even in first place.

Is there a subject out there about which your opinions don't suck?