The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #26
Coldcity76
Ring of Famer
 
Coldcity76's Avatar
 
Broncos < Chiefs/Raiders/Chargers

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 2,233

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bruce Smith
Default

I will still root for the rockies because I like baseball and live here in Denver. But the management is simply too stupid to win anything. Last year's pitching was unexpected and young players played better than expected. The gave the rockies a chance to go to the playoffs because of their great offense.

However, the rockies management seems to think that paying for pitching is a waste of time at altitude. This notion has haunted the rockies because they typically have a really good offense. If the rockies want to win they should mostly focus on pitching and then get hitters that hit well in pitcher ballparks on the cheap and there are plenty of those. Not star players just good hitters.

Pitching, pitching, pitching

Meanwhile my Toronto BlueJays are showing up this year.
Coldcity76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #27
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 17,290

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marquez
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldcity76 View Post
I will still root for the rockies because I like baseball and live here in Denver. But the management is simply too stupid to win anything. Last year's pitching was unexpected and young players played better than expected. The gave the rockies a chance to go to the playoffs because of their great offense.

However, the rockies management seems to think that paying for pitching is a waste of time at altitude. This notion has haunted the rockies because they typically have a really good offense. If the rockies want to win they should mostly focus on pitching and then get hitters that hit well in pitcher ballparks on the cheap and there are plenty of those. Not star players just good hitters.

Pitching, pitching, pitching

Meanwhile my Toronto BlueJays are showing up this year.
Um, they spent $100 million this offseason on the bullpen. And the young pitchers are young and promising, but need to play.

Now if you want, we can talk about Scott Oberg and why the **** hes still on this roster. Worthless pos. Every time he enters the game I turn it off. Just disgusted by him.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:14 AM   #28
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,235

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Honestly how much worse would things look if so many of these early games weren't against the Padres.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #29
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 17,290

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marquez
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Honestly how much worse would things look if so many of these early games weren't against the Padres.
4-4 against the Padres, just like the rest of their schedule. They took 3/4 from Washington at Washington. Right now they need to get back on the road. Freeland and Gray have the next 2 starts though, which sucks.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #30
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 18,321

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldcity76 View Post
I will still root for the rockies because I like baseball and live here in Denver. But the management is simply too stupid to win anything. Last year's pitching was unexpected and young players played better than expected. The gave the rockies a chance to go to the playoffs because of their great offense.

However, the rockies management seems to think that paying for pitching is a waste of time at altitude. This notion has haunted the rockies because they typically have a really good offense. If the rockies want to win they should mostly focus on pitching and then get hitters that hit well in pitcher ballparks on the cheap and there are plenty of those. Not star players just good hitters.

Pitching, pitching, pitching

Meanwhile my Toronto BlueJays are showing up this year.
It's almost uncanny how consistently wrong your opinions are.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #31
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,235

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
4-4 against the Padres, just like the rest of their schedule. They took 3/4 from Washington at Washington. Right now they need to get back on the road. Freeland and Gray have the next 2 starts though, which sucks.
Well everything in baseball is averages. And limping through such a soft part of the schedule isn't a great start.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #32
TheElusiveKyleOrton
Kicking & Screaming
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Hot Damn.

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 16,795
Default

Anyone catch Jenny Cavnar's call last night? Pretty cool.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #33
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer
 
ColoradoBuff's Avatar
 
In Manning We Trust......

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where the buffalo roam....
Posts: 3,003

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Um, they spent $100 million this offseason on the bullpen. And the young pitchers are young and promising, but need to play.

Now if you want, we can talk about Scott Oberg and why the **** hes still on this roster. Worthless pos. Every time he enters the game I turn it off. Just disgusted by him.
agreed....how is he even on the 40 man roster??!?!?!
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:38 PM   #34
SVine
Ring of Famer
 
SVine's Avatar
 
Broncos 2017!

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Chadron, NE
Posts: 6,481

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr
Default

Oberg was sent packing to Albuquerque and they called up Brooks Pounders.

Pounders is a behemoth, 6'5" 265 lb.
SVine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #35
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
Wut

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,325

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVine View Post
Oberg was sent packing to Albuquerque and they called up Brooks Pounders.

Pounders is a behemoth, 6'5" 265 lb.
More like Brooks Pounded

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...oundbr01.shtml
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #36
SVine
Ring of Famer
 
SVine's Avatar
 
Broncos 2017!

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Chadron, NE
Posts: 6,481

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr
Default

Rox win in Miami 1-0 to win their 3rd game in a row and their 3rd shutout already this season. Rockies are now 15-12 and 4 games behind the DBags, whom have to cool off sooner or later.
SVine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #37
balero
The Big Fellow
 
balero's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,818

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Rockies Option Ryan McMahon, Select Contract Of Daniel Castro
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...el-castro.html
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:05 AM   #38
SVine
Ring of Famer
 
SVine's Avatar
 
Broncos 2017!

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Chadron, NE
Posts: 6,481

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr
Default

Jon Gray had an ace-like performance, allowing 1 run on a cheap Wrigley homerun with the wind blowing out. He allowed only 3 hits over 7 innings and 1 walk. Jon Gray got squeezed with a really small strikezone, had he got 3 different called strike 3's- which were called balls- during his 7 innings (ball was inside of ATT strikezone on all 3 of those pitches), he probably would have had a complete game, but not getting those strikes prolonged a couple of his innings and he had 96 pitches over his 7 innings.

Extremely masterful performance.

However.... this doesn't change the fact that he is inconsistent. I have zero confidence that he will not struggle in his next outing. For all the hype he gets, I obviously don't expect perfection, but I do expect a quality start in 75% of his starts.

Hopefully he figured out some adjustments and has turned a corner.
SVine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:35 AM   #39
eff1ngham
Here for the QB drama
 
eff1ngham's Avatar
 
Forgot my password

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Coolorado
Posts: 230

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2018 QB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVine View Post
However.... this doesn't change the fact that he is inconsistent. I have zero confidence that he will not struggle in his next outing. For all the hype he gets, I obviously don't expect perfection, but I do expect a quality start in 75% of his starts.

Hopefully he figured out some adjustments and has turned a corner.
They were talking about some of the mechanical adjustments he made before the SD start, specifically to his slider. Which definitely seemed to help.

But I agree he needs to be more consistent, especially at home where he actually has the tools to succeed even at Coors
eff1ngham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:04 AM   #40
SVine
Ring of Famer
 
SVine's Avatar
 
Broncos 2017!

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Chadron, NE
Posts: 6,481

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr
Default

Rockies bats FINALLY came together in a 15 hit 12 run romp to get 2/3 against the Cubs in Wrigley.

The pitching has been the Rockies strength this year. I am not talking about only the bullpen. Even the starting rotation has been pretty good this year, especially on the road, I heard a stat on tv mentioned that the Rockies starting rotation road era is 3.4, which is good for top 5 in the NL.

If the Rockies can sustain that, I cannot imagine that they will not be a factor this season.
SVine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:30 AM   #41
dsmoot
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 2,446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldcity76 View Post
I will still root for the rockies because I like baseball and live here in Denver. But the management is simply too stupid to win anything. Last year's pitching was unexpected and young players played better than expected. The gave the rockies a chance to go to the playoffs because of their great offense.

However, the rockies management seems to think that paying for pitching is a waste of time at altitude. This notion has haunted the rockies because they typically have a really good offense. If the rockies want to win they should mostly focus on pitching and then get hitters that hit well in pitcher ballparks on the cheap and there are plenty of those. Not star players just good hitters.

Pitching, pitching, pitching

Meanwhile my Toronto BlueJays are showing up this year.
Rockies management has been burned by paying for pitching (Hampton/Neagle). The most proven successful pitching strategy is to develop from within. Been that way for 50 years+. They finally have figured that out with Bridich (sp). I think the previous GM knew that but couldn't seem to produce results. From a hitting perspective, they have had problems hitting on the road and some stats were inflated by the Coors Field effect.

Frankly, last years success compared to previous years was better starting pitching and a much improved bullpen. The hitting wasn't that much better. They certainly struck out with Desmond. CarGo and Story weren't producing like they should have. The real positives was Parra finally playing like he should have, Blackmon having a career best year and Reynolds producing significant numbers on a minor league deal. Hitting pretty much evened out year over year.

Cold, you must have an issue with people in positions of authority. We talk Elway or Rockies management and the same theme comes forward. Stupid managment.

Last edited by dsmoot; 05-05-2018 at 12:41 AM..
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:34 AM   #42
SVine
Ring of Famer
 
SVine's Avatar
 
Broncos 2017!

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Chadron, NE
Posts: 6,481

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
Rockies management has been burned by paying for pitching (Hampton/Neagle). The most proven successful pitching strategy is to develop from within. Been that way for 50 years+. They finally have figured that out with Bridich (sp). I think the previous GM knew that but couldn't seem to produce results. From a hitting perspective, they have had problems hitting on the road and some stats were inflated by the Coors Field effect.

Frankly, last years success compared to previous years was better starting pitching and a much improved bullpen. The hitting wasn't that much better. They certainly struck out with Desmond. CarGo and Story weren't producing like they should have. The real positives was Parra finally playing like he should have, Blackmon having a career best year and Reynolds producing significant numbers on a minor league deal. Hitting pretty much evened out year over year.

Cold, you must have an issue with people in positions of authority. We talk Elway or Rockies management and the same theme comes forward. Stupid managment.

Let me correct you here.... the Coors Field Effect does NOT inflate any stats. At least, not any meaningful stats. I have stated this before and nothing will change my mind about this as 25 years of baseball in Denver will support my thinking...

The Coors Field Effect has a negative overall impact on offensive stats. Especially batting average and probably strikeouts and perhaps other offensive stat categories. Coors Field does inflate home splits, but any inflation in home stats is more than negated due to road offensive struggles. There is a real, legitimate reason for Rockies road woes. It is what I call the Altitude Adjustment Effect. Playing half of your games at 5,280 feet, with road trips mixed in throughout the season in ballparks that are typically less than 1000 feet subjects Rockies players to never-ending adjustments to pitches that break less at home than on the road. No other team in baseball has to face this handicap. The handicap is real, and in a way, it is unfair. But there is no solution to it and the reality of the situation is that this handicap will never magically go away.

So... the Rockies will forever and ever have the biggest home/road splits year in and year out, and the road splits will be deflated more than the home splits will be inflated.

I get so mad when the national media holds Coors Field against the Rockies when it comes to assessing offensive seasons, because the fact of the matter is, the Altitude Adjustment Effect has an overall more negative impact of offensive stats than any positive impact of playing home games on Coors Field.

Last edited by SVine; 05-05-2018 at 08:03 PM..
SVine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #43
SVine
Ring of Famer
 
SVine's Avatar
 
Broncos 2017!

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Chadron, NE
Posts: 6,481

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr
Default

Rockies shut out Mets 2-0 for the team's fourth shutout so far this season. Rockies will go for series sweep tomorrow against Mets.

Rockies are now 14-8 on the road this season, 14 road wins currently most in all of the majors.

Even while the bats are still inconsistent, the pitching has been lights out this year.
SVine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #44
KipCorrington25
Free Safety
 
KipCorrington25's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Littleton
Posts: 7,211
Default

League tried so so so hard to gift the Mets but no luck... that replayed play at the plate... you have to think the Rockies telecast is in on it as they only would show the angle that was doubtful when the angle a half click over showed conclusively he was safe... I'm sure AT&t Sports had their orders on what to show... Oh well, didn't matter.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #45
SpringStein
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Monument, CO
Posts: 2,888
Default

Bettis is such a great story this year, even opponents cheer for the guy. Dropped his ERA to 2.05.
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:09 PM   #46
SVine
Ring of Famer
 
SVine's Avatar
 
Broncos 2017!

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Chadron, NE
Posts: 6,481

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
Bettis is such a great story this year, even opponents cheer for the guy. Dropped his ERA to 2.05.
Bettis pitching style so similar to Greg Maddux.

Gregg Maddux fastball about 90mph, Bettis fastball 89mph. Maddux known for his masterful control with an assortment of offspeed pitches, always around the edges of the strikezone, rarely missing over the middle of the plate. Very few walks.

Bettis- 89 mph fastball, masterful control this year, hitting the edges of the strikezone with an assortment of offspeed pitches, very few walks this year.

What a tremendous cancer come back story he's become.
SVine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #47
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 18,321

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

I didn't get a chance to watch. I can't believe we've had this many shutouts, at this point in the season. And again, I'm so used to them going 1-5 or 2-4 on a Chicago-New York trip, I'm almost speechless.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:45 PM   #48
eff1ngham
Here for the QB drama
 
eff1ngham's Avatar
 
Forgot my password

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Coolorado
Posts: 230

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2018 QB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
And again, I'm so used to them going 1-5 or 2-4 on a Chicago-New York trip, I'm almost speechless.
They are playing so well on the road right now. Loving it. Most road games in the league. Now we just have to hope the starters remember how to pitch at coors
eff1ngham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #49
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer
 
GoneFishin''s Avatar
 
Longtime listener first time caller

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 7,835

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
League tried so so so hard to gift the Mets but no luck... that replayed play at the plate... you have to think the Rockies telecast is in on it as they only would show the angle that was doubtful when the angle a half click over showed conclusively he was safe... I'm sure AT&t Sports had their orders on what to show... Oh well, didn't matter.
I was watching the Mets broadcast and he was definitely out from the replays they showed.
GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #50
D.B.
Paradigm Coordinator
 
D.B.'s Avatar
 
Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,727

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DWill
Default

6-3 road trip, great pitching, timely hitting. Great trip. It was nice to see Desmond have a great game today, especially the HR he pulled showed big improvements on his timing, now get Story going, get DJ back soon, Dahl’s heating up, and take this momentum to Coors. Now hopefully the Astros will beat the DBacks.
D.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Denver Broncos