The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read





View Poll Results: Is mayfield worth a first round pick?
Yes 43 48.86%
No 42 47.73%
Tim Tebow is. 3 3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
ShaneFalco
Infamous
 
ShaneFalco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 17,170
Default Is mayfield even worth a first round pick?

ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
FEAR THE FRO Lindsay

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 11,394
Default

No
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #3
broncoblue
english not british!!
 
broncoblue's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: nr blackburn ,england
Posts: 3,834
Default

what would he cost if we had to trade?
broncoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
BroncoSojia
Your 3x Champion
 
BroncoSojia's Avatar
 
Denver Broncos

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 1,747

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

FWIW, both Todd McShay and Mel Kiper has him as a top 15 prospect
BroncoSojia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
BroncosfanGuy
Stoney Case for Heisman
 
BroncosfanGuy's Avatar
 
Big Fan

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10,194

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

He is valued as one because of the inflated value of qb. But I think he is more of a 2nd to 3rd rounder in terms of pure prospect. No doubt if a team wants him they will have to take him in the 1st

So according to the market, yes 1st rounder. As a pure prospect I think he's fringe 1st rounder at best and more of a 2nd day prospect

So the answer is yesno
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #6
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 35,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

He is in my opinion, but later in the round.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer
 
LikeABoss5820's Avatar
 
Jaguars OM Mock GM

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19,845

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Su'a Cravens
Default

He's more of a top 15 or so prospect to me but due to so many teams needing QB's, he'll probably go top 5-10.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 35,480
Default

I wish he was since he'll probably be there for us. But I really don't think he'll ever be a starting caliber NFL QB. So, no.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 55,277

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel
Default

I would take him where Wilson was taken but some desperate team will scoop him up. I hope it isn't us.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #10
qbronco
Lifelong Fan
 
qbronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,446

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lyle Alzado
Default

In my opinion, he’s Colt McCoy. Although McCoy has managed to stay in the NFL for a number of years, would you want to draft him in the first round?
qbronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #11
BroncoFox
Cheervixen
 
BroncoFox's Avatar
 
If I have fleas.. they are happy.

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,626
Default

The reality will be that some QBs projected to do great will do awful, some will be busts. And some that were mid-range will end up being very solid. And then there will be some 6th or 7th rounder who manages to stay on a team as a backup, and 4 years from now when he takes over and obliterates the competition, teams will wonder why our scouting department was too stupid to not see it.

The reality is that it's by and large, a crap shoot. There are sites where you can see the top 50 or top 100 QB draft fails. It happens a LOT. Who knows what QBs will learn, actually take it seriously, and not get hurt.

If there is one quality I want them to seriously look at though.. it is QB smarts. Maybe not the wonder-lick, but just.. smarter than your average player. Smart first.. athletic next.. height like.. very last please.
BroncoFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #12
PRBronco
Top professional.
 
PRBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,674

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Courage Wolfe
Default

Ask me after the Senior Bowl!
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #13
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Make the NFL Great Again

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10,648

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Dont you think we should wait and see what he does during Senior Bowl week and study his measurables at the combine?

I always enjoy the OM draft logic.

Josh Allen played at Wyoming so he stinks and the only reason Elway likes him is because hes tall like Osweiler.

Mayfield sucks because played in the Big 12 and his receivers where always wide open.

Darnold had some pretty miserable games but hes coachable and all the bad throws and mechanics can be fixed by the Denver coaching staff.

Rosen, well hes Jay Cutler 2.0, enough said.
Pony Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #14
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 53,082

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

I don't think he is for the Broncos. He might be a first-round pick for somebody else. If the Broncos do draft him, then I'll support him. I would prefer vet.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
ShaneFalco
Infamous
 
ShaneFalco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 17,170
Default

i like mayfield attitude but his arm strength is not the greatest.
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #16
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Elway needs to go to AA.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 35,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
i like mayfield attitude but his arm strength is not the greatest.
His arm strength is fine. Where did this notion that having a cannon is needed to be a good QB in the NFL come from? Its weird.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #17
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer
 
Brohemoth's Avatar
 
Question everything

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7,375

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
His arm strength is fine. Where did this notion that having a cannon is needed to be a good QB in the NFL come from? Its weird.
This. If you can throw 50 yards accurately (which Mayfield can) then you have an NFL arm. 60-70 is fun but how often does a QB even get to use it?

I suggest people watch Mayfield's tape because he can throw absolute lasers on the intermediate routes. He also has a rare ability to throw an upward trajectory on the 20-30 yard stuff so that the defender can't make a play. It requires arm strength.
Brohemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #18
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 18,328

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
He is valued as one because of the inflated value of qb. But I think he is more of a 2nd to 3rd rounder in terms of pure prospect. No doubt if a team wants him they will have to take him in the 1st

So according to the market, yes 1st rounder. As a pure prospect I think he's fringe 1st rounder at best and more of a 2nd day prospect

So the answer is yesno
Sounds about right
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #19
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 53,082

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Terrible decision by Matt Ryan just terrible
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #20
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,959

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I don't see how the Bronco's can take Mayfield at 5. He will be lucky to measure out at 6' tall. He also just a year ago is running from police. There is no way Elway is drafting a QB at 5 to play next year unless the plan is to go 5-11 again. I'd like Kelly to get a shot before doing that.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #21
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 19,427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
I don't see how the Bronco's can take Mayfield at 5. He will be lucky to measure out at 6' tall. He also just a year ago is running from police. There is no way Elway is drafting a QB at 5 to play next year unless the plan is to go 5-11 again. I'd like Kelly to get a shot before doing that.
More than his height, I would like to know McCoyfields hand size. That's the real question. He looks like he's around 5'11". Thats how tall Wilson is. I watched him next to the refs and other captains from both teams when they played OT and were standing together for the coin flip. He looked slightly shorter than the Ref, who looked about 6 ft tall.
But his hand size. That's the big question.
Both Brees and Wilson have the biggest hands in the NFL at 10.5". This is the biggest indicator for me as to his success. If his hands are 9", he's gonna struggle holding onto the ball moving around so much and being chased.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 27,404

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

First round, ok. Top 10, no. Top 15? IMHO, no, but he’ll probably get drafted by a team in the top 15.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #23
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,959

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
More than his height, I would like to know McCoyfields hand size. That's the real question. He looks like he's around 5'11". Thats how tall Wilson is. I watched him next to the refs and other captains from both teams when they played OT and were standing together for the coin flip. He looked slightly shorter than the Ref, who looked about 6 ft tall.
But his hand size. That's the big question.
Both Brees and Wilson have the biggest hands in the NFL at 10.5". This is the biggest indicator for me as to his success. If his hands are 9", he's gonna struggle holding onto the ball moving around so much and being chased.
True, and for every Wilson and Brees, there are countless shorter type QB's who did not make it. Neither Wilson or Brees were first round picks, but the Bronco's should seriously consider Mayfield for the 5th pick of the draft because those 2 bucked the odds? Not smart drafting IMO.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #24
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 23,377
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brohemoth View Post
This. If you can throw 50 yards accurately (which Mayfield can) then you have an NFL arm. 60-70 is fun but how often does a QB even get to use it?

I suggest people watch Mayfield's tape because he can throw absolute lasers on the intermediate routes. He also has a rare ability to throw an upward trajectory on the 20-30 yard stuff so that the defender can't make a play. It requires arm strength.
NFL arm strength isn't not about throwing 50 yards deep. It's about hitting the 10 to 15 out to from opposite hash mark. We don't know if he can make that throw because OU system doesn't ask him to make that throw. Like most spread systems.

We know Rosen, Allen and Donald can because they are asked to make those throws in their college systems. Also we don't know how Mayfield plays with back to coverage on PA because that's not a the OU play. The other guys make those plays for under center.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #25
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13,074

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Dont you think we should wait and see what he does during Senior Bowl week and study his measurables at the combine?

I always enjoy the OM draft logic.

Josh Allen played at Wyoming so he stinks and the only reason Elway likes him is because hes tall like Osweiler.

Mayfield sucks because played in the Big 12 and his receivers where always wide open.

Darnold had some pretty miserable games but hes coachable and all the bad throws and mechanics can be fixed by the Denver coaching staff.

Rosen, well hes Jay Cutler 2.0, enough said.
Josh Allen is 65 and just so know Peyton Manning is 65.
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Denver Broncos