The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is mayfield worth a first round pick?
Yes 43 48.86%
No 42 47.73%
Tim Tebow is. 3 3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
ShaneFalco
Infamous

Default Is mayfield even worth a first round pick?

ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

FEAR THE FRO Lindsay

No
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #3
broncoblue
english not british!!

what would he cost if we had to trade?
broncoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
BroncoSojia
Your 3x Champion

Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

FWIW, both Todd McShay and Mel Kiper has him as a top 15 prospect
BroncoSojia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
BroncosfanGuy
Stoney Case for Heisman

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

He is valued as one because of the inflated value of qb. But I think he is more of a 2nd to 3rd rounder in terms of pure prospect. No doubt if a team wants him they will have to take him in the 1st

So according to the market, yes 1st rounder. As a pure prospect I think he's fringe 1st rounder at best and more of a 2nd day prospect

So the answer is yesno
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #6
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

He is in my opinion, but later in the round.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Su'a Cravens

He's more of a top 15 or so prospect to me but due to so many teams needing QB's, he'll probably go top 5-10.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I wish he was since he'll probably be there for us. But I really don't think he'll ever be a starting caliber NFL QB. So, no.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

I would take him where Wilson was taken but some desperate team will scoop him up. I hope it isn't us.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #10
qbronco
Lifelong Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lyle Alzado

In my opinion, he’s Colt McCoy. Although McCoy has managed to stay in the NFL for a number of years, would you want to draft him in the first round?
qbronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #11
BroncoFox
Cheervixen

If I have fleas.. they are happy.

The reality will be that some QBs projected to do great will do awful, some will be busts. And some that were mid-range will end up being very solid. And then there will be some 6th or 7th rounder who manages to stay on a team as a backup, and 4 years from now when he takes over and obliterates the competition, teams will wonder why our scouting department was too stupid to not see it.

The reality is that it's by and large, a crap shoot. There are sites where you can see the top 50 or top 100 QB draft fails. It happens a LOT. Who knows what QBs will learn, actually take it seriously, and not get hurt.

If there is one quality I want them to seriously look at though.. it is QB smarts. Maybe not the wonder-lick, but just.. smarter than your average player. Smart first.. athletic next.. height like.. very last please.
BroncoFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #12
PRBronco
Top professional.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Courage Wolfe

Ask me after the Senior Bowl!
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #13
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Make the NFL Great Again

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Dont you think we should wait and see what he does during Senior Bowl week and study his measurables at the combine?

I always enjoy the OM draft logic.

Josh Allen played at Wyoming so he stinks and the only reason Elway likes him is because hes tall like Osweiler.

Mayfield sucks because played in the Big 12 and his receivers where always wide open.

Darnold had some pretty miserable games but hes coachable and all the bad throws and mechanics can be fixed by the Denver coaching staff.

Rosen, well hes Jay Cutler 2.0, enough said.
Pony Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #14
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I don't think he is for the Broncos. He might be a first-round pick for somebody else. If the Broncos do draft him, then I'll support him. I would prefer vet.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
ShaneFalco
Infamous

i like mayfield attitude but his arm strength is not the greatest.
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #16
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
i like mayfield attitude but his arm strength is not the greatest.
His arm strength is fine. Where did this notion that having a cannon is needed to be a good QB in the NFL come from? Its weird.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #17
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
His arm strength is fine. Where did this notion that having a cannon is needed to be a good QB in the NFL come from? Its weird.
This. If you can throw 50 yards accurately (which Mayfield can) then you have an NFL arm. 60-70 is fun but how often does a QB even get to use it?

I suggest people watch Mayfield's tape because he can throw absolute lasers on the intermediate routes. He also has a rare ability to throw an upward trajectory on the 20-30 yard stuff so that the defender can't make a play. It requires arm strength.
Brohemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #18
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
He is valued as one because of the inflated value of qb. But I think he is more of a 2nd to 3rd rounder in terms of pure prospect. No doubt if a team wants him they will have to take him in the 1st

So according to the market, yes 1st rounder. As a pure prospect I think he's fringe 1st rounder at best and more of a 2nd day prospect

So the answer is yesno
Sounds about right
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #19
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Terrible decision by Matt Ryan just terrible
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #20
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't see how the Bronco's can take Mayfield at 5. He will be lucky to measure out at 6' tall. He also just a year ago is running from police. There is no way Elway is drafting a QB at 5 to play next year unless the plan is to go 5-11 again. I'd like Kelly to get a shot before doing that.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #21
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
I don't see how the Bronco's can take Mayfield at 5. He will be lucky to measure out at 6' tall. He also just a year ago is running from police. There is no way Elway is drafting a QB at 5 to play next year unless the plan is to go 5-11 again. I'd like Kelly to get a shot before doing that.
More than his height, I would like to know McCoyfields hand size. That's the real question. He looks like he's around 5'11". Thats how tall Wilson is. I watched him next to the refs and other captains from both teams when they played OT and were standing together for the coin flip. He looked slightly shorter than the Ref, who looked about 6 ft tall.
But his hand size. That's the big question.
Both Brees and Wilson have the biggest hands in the NFL at 10.5". This is the biggest indicator for me as to his success. If his hands are 9", he's gonna struggle holding onto the ball moving around so much and being chased.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

First round, ok. Top 10, no. Top 15? IMHO, no, but he’ll probably get drafted by a team in the top 15.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #23
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
More than his height, I would like to know McCoyfields hand size. That's the real question. He looks like he's around 5'11". Thats how tall Wilson is. I watched him next to the refs and other captains from both teams when they played OT and were standing together for the coin flip. He looked slightly shorter than the Ref, who looked about 6 ft tall.
But his hand size. That's the big question.
Both Brees and Wilson have the biggest hands in the NFL at 10.5". This is the biggest indicator for me as to his success. If his hands are 9", he's gonna struggle holding onto the ball moving around so much and being chased.
True, and for every Wilson and Brees, there are countless shorter type QB's who did not make it. Neither Wilson or Brees were first round picks, but the Bronco's should seriously consider Mayfield for the 5th pick of the draft because those 2 bucked the odds? Not smart drafting IMO.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #24
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brohemoth View Post
This. If you can throw 50 yards accurately (which Mayfield can) then you have an NFL arm. 60-70 is fun but how often does a QB even get to use it?

I suggest people watch Mayfield's tape because he can throw absolute lasers on the intermediate routes. He also has a rare ability to throw an upward trajectory on the 20-30 yard stuff so that the defender can't make a play. It requires arm strength.
NFL arm strength isn't not about throwing 50 yards deep. It's about hitting the 10 to 15 out to from opposite hash mark. We don't know if he can make that throw because OU system doesn't ask him to make that throw. Like most spread systems.

We know Rosen, Allen and Donald can because they are asked to make those throws in their college systems. Also we don't know how Mayfield plays with back to coverage on PA because that's not a the OU play. The other guys make those plays for under center.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #25
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Dont you think we should wait and see what he does during Senior Bowl week and study his measurables at the combine?

I always enjoy the OM draft logic.

Josh Allen played at Wyoming so he stinks and the only reason Elway likes him is because hes tall like Osweiler.

Mayfield sucks because played in the Big 12 and his receivers where always wide open.

Darnold had some pretty miserable games but hes coachable and all the bad throws and mechanics can be fixed by the Denver coaching staff.

Rosen, well hes Jay Cutler 2.0, enough said.
Josh Allen is 65 and just so know Peyton Manning is 65.
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote