The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #1376
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
caseWOODS
TIGERkeenum
In his credit, since he did the Peytonwoods Tigermanning deal, Manning won a SB and Tiger seems healthy and playing well.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #1377
razorwire77
Great week of practice!!!

Leader of Men

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
haha a third.

No matter what, Keenum shouldn't prevent the broncos from getting their guy if they like one. But if they wanna stick with Keenum and grab an impact dude at another position...

DONT DRAFT A ****ING GUARD
Seriously this. Keenum will be an upgrade from Trevor and if he plays at a fairly high, but not elite level (likely), then we will be in that 8-8/9-7 NFL purgatory. My order of preference goes:

1.) Grab a potential franchise QB at 5 if one of them slips.
2.) If there is a run on QB's get Chubb.
3.) Trade back with Buffalo (21 and 22) and draft a couple of players Hernandez, McGlinchey (if he drops), Guice etc.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #1378
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:17 AM   #1379
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Longtime listener first time caller

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Peter King's MMQB

Quote:
Denver? The Broncos didn’t make an offer. This went to McCartney’s reason for making this a silent auction: Denver liked Keenum, didn’t want to pay in the neighborhood of $30 million a year guaranteed for a quarterback with so many other prominent players to pay. It came down to this for John Elway: Keenum for $10 million to $12 million per year less than Cousins, and the Broncos knew near the start of the legal tampering period they could get Keenum. Ten hours into the period, Denver had reached agreement with Keenum on a two-year, $36 million guaranteed deal.

McCartney understood Elway’s approach—Elway didn’t want to be left at the altar. McCartney did think, What harm would it do to make an offer? But Elway liked Keenum a lot, and felt he couldn’t wait until Thursday or Friday to see if he’d get Cousins.
GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:23 AM   #1380
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Longtime listener first time caller

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Siemian:

Quote:
While Cousins was flying to Minnesota, two important things happened. McCartney worked out the final wrinkles in the contract; there would be no-trade and no-transition-tag clauses in the three-year deal, fully guaranteed. But McCartney couldn’t accept it without Cousins’ nod. Also while the plane was in the air: Spielman told Cousins the Vikings were finalizing a trade for Trevor Siemian of the Broncos. During the negotiations, McCartney had stressed to the Vikings how important a helpful backup quarterback would be to Cousins. What a coincidence—McCartney represents Siemian. Late Wednesday, Siemian was officially a Viking.
GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:24 AM   #1381
Guess Who
Yeti Pubes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I'm in Stormy

For those comparing Keenum to Alex Smith... well Denver did pretty well.

Alex Smith set to make $40 million this season

Washington Redskins quarterback Alex Smith signed a four-year, $94 million extension with the team last week, reports NFL.com. Smith will make $40 million this upcoming season, which includes a $27 million signing bonus, according to the report. The deal also includes $71 million in guarantees for injury, meaning Smith is under contract for five years and $111 million. Smith made $10.8 million in base salary last season. He was traded in January for cornerback Kendall Fuller and a 2018 third-round draft pick

complete article
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:24 AM   #1382
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMia View Post
Every qb can have a bad game and get sent home packing in the playoffs, and once you get into the dance it's a crapshoot unless you have elite coaching and a hall of fame QB, which few teams ever have. I'm going on record to say Keenum is good enough given the model of this team. We could win a super bowl with him. I'll be very disappointed if we go QB at 5.
So glad we're the anti-this! ugh

We can't win a SB with this coaching. Sorry
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:28 AM   #1383
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Seriously this. Keenum will be an upgrade from Trevor and if he plays at a fairly high, but not elite level (likely), then we will be in that 8-8/9-7 NFL purgatory. My order of preference goes:

1.) Grab a potential franchise QB at 5 if one of them slips.
2.) If there is a run on QB's get Chubb.
3.) Trade back with Buffalo (21 and 22) and draft a couple of players Hernandez, McGlinchey (if he drops), Guice etc.
For me, there is no QB that will be available at FIVE that will be nothing more than a PROJECT. At best. Josh Allen? Does anyone else see a poor man version of Jake Locker with Allen? Who was the last QB that could not complete 60% at the college level that made it in the NFL? Not a factor? Of course it is a factor.

Besides, the Broncos already have young QB that could very well have as much or more potential than any PROJECT they would draft at FIVE. That is too valuable of a pick to waste it on a PROJECT at QB. There are some real fine players that can really benefit the Broncos THIS YEAR.

Just to reiterate. At 5, it seems the Broncos would be picking the 4th or maybe 5th best QB available. No matter which QB they would pick at 5, and even if that happened to be Darnold or Rosen, they are PROJECTS.

So, why use the FIFTH PICK OF THE DRAFT on a QB that will not even be the best one in the draft? Use that valuable pick to get the best player of a position they need. That is a little different than BPA. That means they could draft the best guard, or the best pass rusher, or the best DB. Not the 4th or 5th best QB.

Last edited by Broncoblood32; 03-21-2018 at 04:30 AM..
Broncoblood32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:31 AM   #1384
Guess Who
Yeti Pubes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I'm in Stormy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoblood32 View Post

Besides, the Broncos already have young QB that could very well have as much or more potential than any PROJECT they would draft at FIVE. That is too valuable of a pick to waste it on a PROJECT at QB. There are some real fine players that can really benefit the Broncos THIS YEAR.

Just to reiterate. At 5, it seems the Broncos would be picking the 4th or maybe 5th best QB available. No matter they pick, even if that happened to me Darnold or Rosen, they are PROJECTS.
Well it depends on how the Broncos have the QBs rated. They might have Allen rated the highest, They might have Rosen rated highest. Either one of those QBs could fall to #5. Depends a lot on what the Giants do.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:32 AM   #1385
favson
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
For me, there is no QB that will be available at FIVE that will be nothing more than a PROJECT. At best. Josh Allen? Does anyone else see a poor man version of Jake Locker with Allen? Who was the last QB that could not complete 60% at the college level that made it in the NFL? Not a factor? Of course it is a factor.

Just to reiterate. At 5, it seems the Broncos would be picking the 4th or maybe 5th best QB available. No matter which QB they would pick at 5, and even if that happened to be Darnold or Rosen, they are PROJECTS.

So, why use the FIFTH PICK OF THE DRAFT on a QB that will not even be the best one in the draft? Use that valuable pick to get the best player of a position they need. That is a little different than BPA. That means they could draft the best guard, or the best pass rusher, or the best DB. Not the 4th or 5th best QB.
Couldn't agree more. Nelson or Chubb should be the pick.
favson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:46 AM   #1386
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Well it depends on how the Broncos have the QBs rated. They might have Allen rated the highest, They might have Rosen rated highest. Either one of those QBs could fall to #5. Depends a lot on what the Giants do.
Whatever they have been using in the past to rate QBs, is not unique to what the prevailing ratings have. Meaning, in 2012 Elway seemed to have Osweiler rated higher than Russell Wilson and Cousins along with the vast majority of scouts. Now, how pro scouts got that so wrong should be telling to everyone. Those scouts get paid fairly well, and we have seen them be VERY WRONG a lot.

Anyway, with the Jets trading up, and several teams needing QBs in front of the Broncos, they will not be getting the best QB. Could they have Josh Allen rated that high? Maybe. That would be weird.

Why again would Josh Allen have so much more potential than a Chad Kelly? I know Kelly lasted so long in last years draft, but lets discuss what the tangible differences are. Are they so great that it would justify wasting such a valuable pick on Allen?

What QB was the last QB to make it that could not complete 60% of their passes in college? Does anyone know. That was not even in a particular tough conference. Not the SEC like Kelly played in.

You would rather the Broncos take a project like Allen, who would not even be contributing for a few years at the soonest, instead of a real stud at guard or pass rusher or DB, considering that those players would be contributing right away?
Old 03-21-2018, 04:54 AM   #1387
Guess Who
Yeti Pubes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I'm in Stormy

Quote:
Whatever they have been using in the past to rate QBs, is not unique to what the prevailing ratings have. Meaning, in 2012 Elway seemed to have Osweiler rated higher than Russell Wilson and Cousins along with the vast majority of scouts. Now, how pro scouts got that so wrong should be telling to everyone. Those scouts get paid fairly well, and we have seen them be VERY WRONG a lot.

Anyway, with the Jets trading up, and several teams needing QBs in front of the Broncos, they will not be getting the best QB. Could they have Josh Allen rated that high? Maybe. That would be weird.

Why again would Josh Allen have so much more potential than a Chad Kelly? I know Kelly lasted so long in last years draft, but lets discuss what the tangible differences are. Are they so great that it would justify wasting such a valuable pick on Allen?

What QB was the last QB to make it that could not complete 60% of their passes in college? Does anyone know. That was not even in a particular tough conference. Not the SEC like Kelly played in.

You would rather the Broncos take a project like Allen, who would not even be contributing for a few years at the soonest, instead of a real stud at guard or pass rusher or DB, considering that those players would be contributing right away?
I have already posted that I would not select a QB.... but If Elway thinks Rosen, or Darnold, or Allen is the best QB in the draft and they fall to #5 Don't you think he should take the best QB in the draft if available?
Old 03-21-2018, 05:00 AM   #1388
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
I have already posted that I would not select a QB.... but If Elway thinks Rosen, or Darnold, or Allen is the best QB in the draft and they fall to #5 Don't you think he should take the best QB in the draft if available?
I don't, and I guess my point is I hope they are not rating those QBs like that. I also think there is another factor. This roster is filled with QBs. Keenum just came off his best season and his confidence is at an all time high. It is already established that he is the guy and that is by his hero Elway. Which, probably adds to that confidence that he will be building on.

I truly believe drafting a QB could damage that confidence he finally has. I know that is a weak argument to many, but it would probably amaze people how confidence or a lack there of, is the big factor that cannot be measured in any real way. It is also that important to have, and that fragile.

Bottom line is I am really hoping that they are not rating these QBs as something so valuable that they would pass up on some real players that would contribute right away.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:08 AM   #1389
Guess Who
Yeti Pubes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I'm in Stormy

Quote:
I don't, and I guess my point is I hope they are not rating those QBs like that. I also think there is another factor. This roster is filled with QBs. Keenum just came off his best season and his confidence is at an all time high. It is already established that he is the guy and that is by his hero Elway. Which, probably adds to that confidence that he will be building on.

I truly believe drafting a QB could damage that confidence he finally has. I know that is a weak argument to many, but it would probably amaze people how confidence or a lack there of, is the big factor that cannot be measured in any real way. It is also that important to have, and that fragile.

Bottom line is I am really hoping that they are not rating these QBs as something so valuable that they would pass up on some real players that would contribute right away.
I agree, but if they feel like Rosen, for example, is the best QB in the draft. I guess I wouldn't be upset if they took him. But with Chubb, Barkley and Nelson possibly available I think it would be hard to trade down as the drop off is immense by most experts' opinion.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:33 AM   #1390
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Agreed. At five, the Broncos should not be limiting themselves based on position. The highest rated player and preferably one that would actually play next year. You just went 5-11 and talk about looking to win and you draft a QB at five who wouldn't play much if at all? What?
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:09 AM   #1391
Powderaddict
Saw Lady Gaga

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Devontae Booker

Quote:
Yes, it tells us thst drafting a QB is largely a crap shoot, and luck plays a huge role.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:31 AM   #1392
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
Yes, it tells us thst drafting a QB is largely a crap shoot, and luck plays a huge role.
Yeah, which is why imo Kelly could just as much of a project as anything that would be available at 5. I say lets see what Keenum has behind a solidified OL, and or see what Kelly is as a backup. See if there is any signs of promise in TC etc. Avoid the QB controvery that would immediately be created by drafting a QB at 5. That is the FITH PICK not the end or middle of the 1st round.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #1393
Coldcity76
Ring of Famer

Broncos < Chiefs/Raiders/Chargers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bruce Smith

Having Case Keenum as plan A is a loser's mentality and Gary Kubiak certainly knows how to be a loser. His ideas were rejected 2 years ago and yet were carried on by VJ.

Kyle Orton did not turn out well. Why default to getting a career backup as plan A?

The broncos franchise has become a laughing joke in the NFL.

Time to clean house and that starts with Elway letting his buddies make stupid decisions over and over again.

Not like "Play the best QB we have" got this team anywhere the last 2 years.

Great NFL franchises build their teams through the draft.

Losing teams settle for backup QBs and average to below average talent.

Case Kennum = Brock Osweiler
Coldcity76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #1394
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

scio me nihil scire

Remember when that loser Kubiak was directly responsible for every Broncos Super Bowl victory?

Loser.
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #1395
Elway27
Just Drafted

Trust in Elway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
Remember when that loser Kubiak was directly responsible for every Broncos Super Bowl victory?

Loser.
Agreed...... sheez.
Elway27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #1396
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldcity76 View Post
Having Case Keenum as plan A is a loser's mentality and Gary Kubiak certainly knows how to be a loser. His ideas were rejected 2 years ago and yet were carried on by VJ.

Kyle Orton did not turn out well. Why default to getting a career backup as plan A?

The broncos franchise has become a laughing joke in the NFL.

Time to clean house and that starts with Elway letting his buddies make stupid decisions over and over again.

Not like "Play the best QB we have" got this team anywhere the last 2 years.

Great NFL franchises build their teams through the draft.

Losing teams settle for backup QBs and average to below average talent.

Case Kennum = Brock Osweiler
Go blow it out of your ass.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:12 AM   #1397
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Gotsis

Quote:
For those comparing Keenum to Alex Smith... well Denver did pretty well.

Alex Smith set to make $40 million this season

Washington Redskins quarterback Alex Smith signed a four-year, $94 million extension with the team last week, reports NFL.com. Smith will make $40 million this upcoming season, which includes a $27 million signing bonus, according to the report. The deal also includes $71 million in guarantees for injury, meaning Smith is under contract for five years and $111 million. Smith made $10.8 million in base salary last season. He was traded in January for cornerback Kendall Fuller and a 2018 third-round draft pick

complete article
The Skins are confused as an organization. Seriously. While Smith is an upgrade over Cousins, he isn’t the type to carry an offense and take a team to another level.

The more I see these deals being made by teams desperate for a franchise QB, the more appreciative I am about the Keenum deal.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #1398
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Don't quote him please, I think most of the board has him on ignore.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:18 AM   #1399
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
... While Smith is an upgrade over Cousins...
I'm not sure I agree with this, but I suppose it could be argued.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #1400
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
He just is in love with Lynch for some reason. He must love screen passes and slants.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote