The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



View Poll Results: Favorite MLB Team?
Arizona Diamondbacks 2 2.35%
Atlanta Braves 4 4.71%
Baltimore Orioles 1 1.18%
Boston Red Sox 6 7.06%
Chicago Cubs 5 5.88%
Chicago White Sox 2 2.35%
Cincinnati Reds 0 0%
Cleveland Indians 1 1.18%
Colorado Rockies 28 32.94%
Detroit Tigers 2 2.35%
Houston Astros 1 1.18%
Kansas City Royals 1 1.18%
Los Angeles Angels 4 4.71%
Los Angeles Dodgers 3 3.53%
Miami Marlins 0 0%
Milwaukee Brewers 0 0%
Minnesota Twins 0 0%
New York Tebownin' Mets 4 4.71%
New York Yankees 7 8.24%
Oakland A's 1 1.18%
Philadelphia Philles 0 0%
Pittsburgh Pirates 0 0%
San Diego Padres 0 0%
San Francisco Dirty Giants 3 3.53%
Seattle Mariners 2 2.35%
St Louis Cardinals 4 4.71%
Tampa Bay Rays 1 1.18%
Texas Rangers 0 0%
Toronto Blue Jays 1 1.18%
Washington Nationals 2 2.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2018, 05:56 AM   #901
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer
 
GoneFishin''s Avatar
 
Longtime listener first time caller

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6,651

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
It can be tough to gauge pitchers' performance in the Cactus League because it's such a launching pad. Despite the home run woes, Ohtani still has struck out 19 batters and only walked three in spring training, so I'm not overly concerned.

Once he gets to Anaheim, many of those flies are going to die in the Catalina eddy during night games.
I think he's just getting used to a new country, new culture, new league...it's a lot. He'll probably adjust and settle in at some point.
GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #902
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 38,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Not really. Robert was killing people as a 20 year old before you got so scared of him you went in the backroom and did your thing. Don't think I've forgotten about that Scribe.
Or....maybe the White Sox just suck at position player development and are snake bitten.

If I was doing work...it would be far more than just Robert.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #903
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,070

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post
I think he's just getting used to a new country, new culture, new league...it's a lot. He'll probably adjust and settle in at some point.
Good point. It's also a factor that impacts the performance of many Latin American players as well.
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #904
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,070

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Jharel Cotton To Undergo Tommy John Surgery
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ained-ucl.html
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #905
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,070

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Twins’ Jorge Polanco Gets 80-Game Suspension
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...uspension.html
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #906
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,070

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

My thoughts on the 2018 St. Louis Cardinals
Strengths
-- This team has impressive depth. There are not many weak spots on its eventual 25-man roster. Furthermore, there's plenty of productive reinforcements at Triple-A Memphis. The organization is two-deep at catcher, has slugger Jose Martinez on the bench backing up 1B and OF spots, and will likely have Jack Flaherty begin the major league season at Memphis. The depth is the product of splendid drafting and development.
--Their every day eight doesn't have one weak link. I love the athletic OF of Marcell Ozuna, Tommy Pham and Dexter Fowler.
--Carlos Martinez can be an ace with a little more success against LH batters. I think Luke Weaver will settle in nicely at the fourth spot and give the Redbirds No. 2 starter production.
--Defense is better since last Opening Day with Ozuna, a Gold Glover, in LF, Pham settling in CF and Fowler having to cover less ground in RF. Jedd Gyorko is a good fit for 3B compared to the middle infield spots, Aledmys Diaz and his iron glove are no longer at SS and Kolten Wong is solid at 2B.
Weaknesses
--What's plagued the Cardinals in recent years -- despite all their depth -- is they lack that "Aircraft Carrier" like Dan O'Dowd likes to say. For their sake, hopefully Martinez and Ozuna can be those guys. Alex Reyes has that potential, but he will be used in an abbreviated role coming off Tommy John surgery.
--I have some starting rotation concerns. I think Adam Wainwright is finished with his elbow problems, and Michael Wacha has been an underachiever, plagued by shoulder woes.
--Personally, I like the Cardinals' bullpen depth, but the national media doesn't like the lack of a proven closer presence. I think Dominic Leone could fill that void if he picks up where he left off in Toronto last year. I could also see fireballers Ryan Helsley and Jordan Hicks being converted into relievers and extending that bullpen depth later in the year.
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #907
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,070

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Tough development for the Tigers considering Franklin Perez was their most promising player acquired for Justin Verlander.

Franklin Perez Out Three Months With Strained Lat
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ained-lat.html
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #908
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,070

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Braves Reassign Ronald Acuna To Minor League Camp
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ague-camp.html
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:22 PM   #909
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,070

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Justin Turner Diagnosed With Broken Wrist
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ken-wrist.html
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:03 AM   #910
TD4HOF
Ring of Famer
 
TD4HOF's Avatar
 
He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Amid the Cacti
Posts: 2,606

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny Walker
Default

Letís just skip the rest of these stupid non games and get going already.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:43 AM   #911
v2micca
This is the Water
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
and this is the well.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
Braves Reassign Ronald Acuna To Minor League Camp
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ague-camp.html
Yeah, knew that was coming. Still feels scummy. Hated it when the Cubs did it a few years back with Bryant and hate that the Braves are doing it now.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #912
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,070

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Yeah, knew that was coming. Still feels scummy. Hated it when the Cubs did it a few years back with Bryant and hate that the Braves are doing it now.
MLBPA, again, had a chance to rectify this in the last CBA, which was post-Bryant, and they kept the status quo system with some tweaks to the three-option system.

Even though you say you hate it, it's hard to fault the Braves for doing something that is logical and smart business.

Thirteen games in a rebuilding season in 2018 vs. a full season of Acuna at age 26 in 2024. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's the right move.

For years now, the 25-man Opening Day roster is not the best group of 25 players that a ballclub is going to battle with. The object is to maximize depth for the 162-game marathon, so more often than not, impressive looking prospects that aren't on the 40-man roster and have options are going to get tickets to Triple-A in favor of lesser guys that are out of options.
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #913
TD4HOF
Ring of Famer
 
TD4HOF's Avatar
 
He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Amid the Cacti
Posts: 2,606

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny Walker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
MLBPA, again, had a chance to rectify this in the last CBA, which was post-Bryant, and they kept the status quo system with some tweaks to the three-option system.

Even though you say you hate it, it's hard to fault the Braves for doing something that is logical and smart business.

Thirteen games in a rebuilding season in 2018 vs. a full season of Acuna at age 26 in 2024. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's the right move.

For years now, the 25-man Opening Day roster is not the best group of 25 players that a ballclub is going to battle with. The object is to maximize depth for the 162-game marathon, so more often than not, impressive looking prospects that aren't on the 40-man roster and have options are going to get tickets to Triple-A in favor of lesser guys that are out of options.
It's a lot more than 13 isn't it? Like 6 weeks or something. It's all I heard about last year re Amed Rosario.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #914
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,070

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD4HOF View Post
It's a lot more than 13 isn't it? Like 6 weeks or something. It's all I heard about last year re Amed Rosario.
April 14 is the projected date to bring Ronald Acuna up and get a seventh year of control before free agency, similar to what happened with Kris Bryant in 2015.

I think what you're referring to is the Super 2 cutoff, typically in late May/early June, when a team can bring up a prospect and avoid paying him arbitration by year 3. Basically, the players that are among the top 22 percent in service among players between two and three years of service time are eligible for Super 2 and get arbitration a year early.

And any organization that keeps a high-performing prospect toiling in the minors motivated by avoiding Super 2 is especially cheap and petty. We are talking about paying a guy potentially $2 million, which is a drop in the bucket. But some cheap ass outfits like the Pirates will put aside winning to save $1.5 million.

Last edited by balero; 03-20-2018 at 01:03 PM..
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #915
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,070

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Orioles Close To Agreement With Alex Cobb
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...alex-cobb.html
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #916
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,070

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Athletics Shut Down Top Prospect A.J. Puk With Biceps Soreness
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...-soreness.html
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #917
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 38,451
Default

I once again believe that most of this FA stalemate has been because the FA's don't want to sign in certain places. Look at Cobb, Darvish and Hosmer. All could have signed well before they did but chose not to.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #918
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,070

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
I once again believe that most of this FA stalemate has been because the FA's don't want to sign in certain places. Look at Cobb, Darvish and Hosmer. All could have signed well before they did but chose not to.
That's true to an extent and it probably had a trickle down effect on the lack of movement on Mike Moustakas, Jonathan Lucroy and Lance Lynn. However, Moustakas turned down a reported $40-plus million from the Angels and Lucroy turned down a reported $21 million from Colorado.

Maybe it was an odd year with limited buyers, but it still bothers me that Moustakas had to settle for a 1-year, $5.5 million deal with Kansas City when Steve Cishek is averaging $6.5 million over two years and Wellington Castillo is getting $7 million per over two years.

Part of that is lack of buyers in 3B market though, as the Angels moved on to sign Zack Cosart, the Braves are keeping their hot corner warm for Austin Riley. Other than the Chicago White Sox, there really wasn't a good long-term spot for Moustakas. The White Sox probably didn't want to burn one of Moustakas' prime seasons on a team that wasn't going to win.
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #919
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 38,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
That's true to an extent and it probably had a trickle down effect on the lack of movement on Mike Moustakas, Jonathan Lucroy and Lance Lynn. However, Moustakas turned down a reported $40-plus million from the Angels and Lucroy turned down a reported $21 million from Colorado.

Maybe it was an odd year with limited buyers, but it still bothers me that Moustakas had to settle for a 1-year, $5.5 million deal with Kansas City when Steve Cishek is averaging $6.5 million over two years and Wellington Castillo is getting $7 million per over two years.

Part of that is lack of buyers in 3B market though, as the Angels moved on to sign Zack Cosart, the Braves are keeping their hot corner warm for Austin Riley. Other than the Chicago White Sox, there really wasn't a good long-term spot for Moustakas. The White Sox probably didn't want to burn one of Moustakas' prime seasons on a team that wasn't going to win.
You also have to take into account the record number of teams seeking cost controlled players.
They didn't want to pay out the nose for non prime years of FA signings and preferred to get guys via trade.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #920
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,070

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
You also have to take into account the record number of teams seeking cost controlled players.
They didn't want to pay out the nose for non prime years of FA signings and preferred to get guys via trade.
That's why I don't think you can blame the lack of FA market on just greedy players and agents. There were fewer buyers for FAs this year too.

Maybe it's just a blip, an extreme market. There are still three offseasons to go before the next CBA so maybe things will fluctuate back to normal. But I think the MLBPA has every reason to be a little worried the way things are trending too.
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #921
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 38,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
That's why I don't think you can blame the lack of FA market on just greedy players and agents. There were fewer buyers for FAs this year too.

Maybe it's just a blip, an extreme market. There are still three offseasons to go before the next CBA so maybe things will fluctuate back to normal. But I think the MLBPA has every reason to be a little worried the way things are trending too.
I agree it was not the only reason but had those players signed earlier, you have other teams who would have been more desperate and signed other players.

Teams saw the market and then began waiting for certain players markets to crash.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #922
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,070

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

My thoughts on the 2018 Cleveland Indians
Strengths
--They arguably have the best pitching staff -- starters 1-5 and bullpen from closer to set up to low leverage relievers -- in baseball. Corey Kluber and Carlos Carrasco give them two ace caliber starters and Cody Allen and Andrew Miller are two elite high-leverage relievers.
--Francisco Lindor and Jose Ramirez are two of the most dynamic infielders in the game. They do it all -- hit for average, hit for pop, run, play impressive defense.
Weaknesses
--Outfield is a big question mark. Michael Brantley can still hit, but health is still a major concern. Bradley Zimmer brings eye-popping defense and speed to CF, but his contact woes could derail the whole package. Lonnie Chisenhall can slug, but has yet to do it for a complete season. Tyler Naquin doesn't have enough bat for a corner.
--The right side of the infield with 2B Jason Kipnis coming off a down, injury-plagued season, and 1B Yonder Alonso, a historical ground ball hitter, replacing reliable OBP-machine, slugger Carlos Santana.

Last edited by balero; 03-21-2018 at 04:24 PM..
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:29 PM   #923
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,070

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
I agree it was not the only reason but had those players signed earlier, you have other teams who would have been more desperate and signed other players.

Teams saw the market and then began waiting for certain players markets to crash.
Jeff Passan said in early January that an executive told him, "We will see who really wants to play," so yes, the teams did wait it out to their advantage.
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #924
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 38,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
Jeff Passan said in early January that an executive told him, "We will see who really wants to play," so yes, the teams did wait it out to their advantage.
Cashman admitted it a few days ago, the Yankees were waiting for Darvish's market to crash and then were going to pursue him, but it never crashed.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:48 PM   #925
balero
Ring of Famer
 
balero's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,070

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

David Phelps Out For Season With Torn UCL
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...-torn-ucl.html
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Denver Broncos