The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 10:50 AM   #126
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,328

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoeey View Post
I could show you a bunch of surveys and polls to help prove my point but since every poll both ways are biased, it would be useless.

Most of the concerns in this thread can be proved incorrect by using cdc statistics and comparing them to Canada. I'd also say that Nics numbers and concealed carry permits would be a good source of info though.

The truth is that the antigun groups are fueling the increase in firearm ownership, you can compare antigun and progun surveys forever and one glaring fact will jump out, firearm ownership is growing everyday and serious crime is declining.
Any study I've ever seen shows the rate of gun ownership declining. That is the % of people or households owning at least one firearm. I think there are probably more firearms than ever, but I believe they're owned in increasing numbers by a decreasing percentage.

Partly because guns are durable goods that aren't often disposed of.

And partly because the normal response to the threat of a future shortage or ban is usually stockpiling.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #127
whoeey
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,832

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Any study I've ever seen shows the rate of gun ownership declining. That is the % of people or households owning at least one firearm. I think there are probably more firearms than ever, but I believe they're owned in increasing numbers by a decreasing percentage.

Partly because guns are durable goods that aren't often disposed of.

And partly because the normal response to the threat of a future shortage or ban is usually stockpiling.
Steadily increased since the 70's from my sources. Like I said we can sling biased surveys all day or we could simply look at the number of CCP issued. Honestly I can't think of a survey from either side that states firearm ownership is declining at all, if that was the case wouldn't it be prudent to just let the issue wilt and disappear instead of continually working everyone up in a buying frenzy?

Also the poll numbers for gun rights are up from the most liberal to the most conservative surveys. I can say this positively, firearm owners feel like they are in the best times right now. Heck, even Illinois is passing progun bills
whoeey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #128
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,328

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoeey View Post
Steadily increased since the 70's from my sources. Like I said we can sling biased surveys all day or we could simply look at the number of CCP issued. Honestly I can't think of a survey from either side that states firearm ownership is declining at all, if that was the case wouldn't it be prudent to just let the issue wilt and disappear instead of continually working everyone up in a buying frenzy?

Also the poll numbers for gun rights are up from the most liberal to the most conservative surveys. I can say this positively, firearm owners feel like they are in the best times right now. Heck, even Illinois is passing progun bills
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/us...anted=all&_r=0

Share of Homes With Guns Shows 4-Decade Decline

But like you say, support for gun rights is increasing, even though use of those rights is not. Hard to say why. Partly I believe the public is still skeptical about control after the Clinton hard sell on gun restrictions that accomplished absolutely nothing.

I don't believe concealed carry permitting is a good measurement though. It's a fairly recent phenomenon that many states even had an accessible permitting process for concealed carry. Other states loosened some tight restrictions on them.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #129
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer
 
DAN_BRONCO_FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: why so u can stalk me ?
Posts: 4,363

Adopt-a-Bronco:
alfred e numan
Default


my thought on PROGRESSIVES like loser biich fraud i mean labf
DAN_BRONCO_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #130
GreatBronco16
Ring of Famer
 
GreatBronco16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bama
Posts: 9,823

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/us...anted=all&_r=0

Share of Homes With Guns Shows 4-Decade Decline

But like you say, support for gun rights is increasing, even though use of those rights is not. Hard to say why. Partly I believe the public is still skeptical about control after the Clinton hard sell on gun restrictions that accomplished absolutely nothing.

I don't believe concealed carry permitting is a good measurement though. It's a fairly recent phenomenon that many states even had an accessible permitting process for concealed carry. Other states loosened some tight restrictions on them.
according to data from the General Social Survey, a public opinion survey conducted every two years that asks a sample of American adults if they have guns at home, among other questions.

So who are these 'Sample Adults'?
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #131
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,905

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
according to data from the General Social Survey, a public opinion survey conducted every two years that asks a sample of American adults if they have guns at home, among other questions.

So who are these 'Sample Adults'?
It's called a statistical sample, used when scientific polling is done. The sample is designed to be representative of a particular desired population (in this case, all adult Americans).

The total number of folks (households) that actually own firearms is indeed going down. However, the number of firearms bought/owned is going up because the people who do own firearms are buying more and more.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #132
whoeey
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,832

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/us...anted=all&_r=0

Share of Homes With Guns Shows 4-Decade Decline

But like you say, support for gun rights is increasing, even though use of those rights is not. Hard to say why. Partly I believe the public is still skeptical about control after the Clinton hard sell on gun restrictions that accomplished absolutely nothing.

I don't believe concealed carry permitting is a good measurement though. It's a fairly recent phenomenon that many states even had an accessible permitting process for concealed carry. Other states loosened some tight restrictions on them.
http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2013/0...ey-is-gun.html


A few years ago, while I was doing research at the University of Chicago, I had lunch with Tom Smith, who is the director of the General Social Survey at the National Opinion Research Center (NORC). This private organization conducts many important national surveys for the government as well as other clients. During lunch Tom mentioned how important he thought the General Social Survey was. He felt the large drop in gun ownership implied by his survey would “make it easier for politicians to do the right thing on guns” and pass more restrictive regulations. His surveys have traditionally shown one of the lowest gun ownership rates among any of the surveys: for example, almost 20 percentage points lower than recent polling by John Zogby. . . .


Very good article here but it's not like that the nytimes or university of Chicago are anything more than antigun shills.
whoeey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #133
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,328

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoeey View Post
http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2013/0...ey-is-gun.html


A few years ago, while I was doing research at the University of Chicago, I had lunch with Tom Smith, who is the director of the General Social Survey at the National Opinion Research Center (NORC). This private organization conducts many important national surveys for the government as well as other clients. During lunch Tom mentioned how important he thought the General Social Survey was. He felt the large drop in gun ownership implied by his survey would “make it easier for politicians to do the right thing on guns” and pass more restrictive regulations. His surveys have traditionally shown one of the lowest gun ownership rates among any of the surveys: for example, almost 20 percentage points lower than recent polling by John Zogby. . . .


Very good article here but it's not like that the nytimes or university of Chicago are anything more than antigun shills.
I won't automatically throw out a study purely based on who published it. And like I said, I've never seen a reputable study that said gun ownership (proportionally) is increasing in the United States.

Conventional wisdom says the opposite. Rural Americans are far more likely to own firearms, yet meanwhile America keeps becoming more and more urban.

I'd like it if more Americans exercised their 2nd Amendment rights. If they did so responsibly, I believe it would be a good thing. I just don't believe that's actually happening.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #134
Elway 4 Life
Pass rushers apply here!
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
I have not heard that. That will be interesting. I wonder if they can go around a congressional law. Do you have a link to this?
http://www.wsj.com/articles/sandy-ho...rer-1418651798

Silly lawsuit but......
Elway 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #135
GreatBronco16
Ring of Famer
 
GreatBronco16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bama
Posts: 9,823

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense
Default

We should be more concerned about alcohol poisoning in this country.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/07/health...ths/index.html



By the end of today, an average of six people will have died from alcohol poisoning, and it's a "surprising group" that's dying more than any other, according to new research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

That adds up to an average of 2,221 people in the United States -- a conservative estimate, according to the CDC — dying annually, making it one of the leading preventable causes of death.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:37 PM   #136
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer
 
DAN_BRONCO_FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: why so u can stalk me ?
Posts: 4,363

Adopt-a-Bronco:
alfred e numan
Default

BAN EVERYTHING !!!!!!
GUNS ,KNIVES ,STICKS , DOGS ,CATS, ROCKS , GRAPES,CARS ,TRUCKS ALCOHOL ,FAST FOOD ,WATER, SWIMMING POOLS, FIRES PLACES , PROPANE HEATERS , FURNACES, MATCHES , CANDLES, KITES, ELECTRIC LINES, HIGH RISE BUILDINGS, SEX because of vd,FOOTBALL, BASKETBALL , ALL SPORTS,VACCINES, everything since it could kill you or someone could kill you with it !!!!!!!!!!!
DAN_BRONCO_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #137
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 15,814

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
We should be more concerned about alcohol poisoning in this country.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/07/health...ths/index.html



By the end of today, an average of six people will have died from alcohol poisoning, and it's a "surprising group" that's dying more than any other, according to new research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

That adds up to an average of 2,221 people in the United States -- a conservative estimate, according to the CDC — dying annually, making it one of the leading preventable causes of death.
Alcohol needs to step up its game if it wants to compete.

The big picture:
Quote:
Every year in the U.S., an average of more than 100,000 people are shot, according to The Brady Campaign To Prevent Gun Violence.

Every day in the U.S., an average of 289 people are shot. Eighty-six of them die: 30 are murdered, 53 kill themselves, two die accidentally, and one is shot in a police intervention, the Brady Campaign reports.

Between 2000 and 2010, a total of 335,609 people died from guns -- more than the population of St. Louis, Mo. (318,069), Pittsburgh (307,484), Cincinnati, Ohio (296,223), Newark, N.J. (277,540), and Orlando, Fla. (243,195) (sources: CDF, U.S. Census; CDC)

One person is killed by a firearm every 17 minutes, 87 people are killed during an average day, and 609 are killed every week. (source: CDC)

Guns and kids:


82 children under five years old died from firearms in 2010 compared with 58 law enforcement officers killed by firearms in the line of duty (sources: CDF, CDC, FBI)

More kids ages 0-19 died from firearms every three days in 2010 than died in the 2012 Newtown, Conn., massacre (source:CDF, CDC)

Nearly three times more kids (15,576) were injured by firearms in 2010 than the number of U.S. soldiers (5,247) wounded in action that year in the war in Afghanistan (source: CDF, CDC, Department of Defense)

Half of all juveniles murdered in 2010 were killed with a firearm (source: Office of Juvenile Justice & Delinquency Prevention)
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...n-america?lite

Last edited by DenverBrit; 01-07-2015 at 02:41 PM..
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:16 PM   #138
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,328

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Alcohol needs to step up its game if it wants to compete.

The big picture:
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...n-america?lite
More counting suicides bullshyte.

And if you factor in Deweys, Alcohol kills far more than guns.

NeoProhibition is the only answer.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:30 PM   #139
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 86,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
More counting suicides bullshyte.

And if you factor in Deweys, Alcohol kills far more than guns.

NeoProhibition is the only answer.
Bottom line: You can make all the noise you want here, but at the end of the day, your party offers no solution to the problem.

Just like health care, the economy, the environment, etc., etc.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #140
whoeey
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,832

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Alcohol needs to step up its game if it wants to compete.

The big picture:
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...n-america?lite
Did those antigun groups happen to mention the location and gun laws of the majority of those stats?

How can the most nazi like draconian gun laws lead to more gun violence? Why do the cities with the most strict gun laws continue to lead the country in gun deaths? Gun laws don't work and that is the reason all these antigun groups keep failing. Luckily the American people have awaken to their ruse.
whoeey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:41 PM   #141
whoeey
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,832

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
Bottom line: You can make all the noise you want here, but at the end of the day, your party offers no solution to the problem.

Just like health care, the economy, the environment, etc., etc.
This is not about party lines or at least it shouldn't be. You don't have to look back far into this countries history to figure that out!

By all means carry on with your politics.
whoeey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #142
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 86,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoeey View Post
This is not about party lines or at least it shouldn't be. You don't have to look back far into this countries history to figure that out!

By all means carry on with your politics.
Riiiiiiight - because we all know your party would never try to make gun control a political issue.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #143
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 15,814

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoeey View Post
Did those antigun groups happen to mention the location and gun laws of the majority of those stats?

How can the most nazi like draconian gun laws lead to more gun violence? Why do the cities with the most strict gun laws continue to lead the country in gun deaths? Gun laws don't work and that is the reason all these antigun groups keep failing. Luckily the American people have awaken to their ruse.
Nazi like gun laws?? Where?
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #144
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 15,814

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
More counting suicides bullshyte.

And if you factor in Deweys, Alcohol kills far more than guns.

NeoProhibition is the only answer.


Does including suicides in 'the big picture' magically invalidate gun deaths vs alcohol poisoning??

Think carefully.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #145
DBruleU
Ring of Famer
 
DBruleU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North by Northwest
Posts: 4,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
Riiiiiiight - because we all know your party would never try to make gun control a political issue.
The left turned it into an emotional political football.
DBruleU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:44 PM   #146
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,328

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post


Does including suicides in 'the big picture' magically invalidate gun deaths vs alcohol poisoning??

Think carefully.
The vast majority of alcohol related deaths are unintentional.

A large majority of gun related deaths are intentionally self-inflicted.

You're comparing Apples and Camaros.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #147
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 15,814

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
The vast majority of alcohol related deaths are unintentional.

A large majority of gun related deaths are intentionally self-inflicted.

You're comparing Apples and Camaros.
Tell that to the person who introduced alcohol into this gun violence thread.

Guns and alcohol, what could go wrong?
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #148
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,328

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Tell that to the person who introduced alcohol into this gun violence thread.

Guns and alcohol, what could go wrong?
His alcohol comparison makes more sense. From a consumer protection standpoint, it makes more sense to take action to protect the population from unintentional harm.

Which means there's a more rational basis for prohibition than gun control. Not even factoring in the 2nd Amendment.

Gun control enthusiasts (like the Brady Bunch) always like to muddy those waters with suicide counts. I'll call it out every time I see it.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #149
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 15,814

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
His alcohol comparison makes more sense. From a consumer protection standpoint, it makes more sense to take action to protect the population from unintentional harm.

Which means there's a more rational basis for prohibition than gun control. Not even factoring in the 2nd Amendment.

Gun control enthusiasts (like the Brady Bunch) always like to muddy those waters with suicide counts. I'll call it out every time I see it.
It's a 'gun violence' thread, not gun murders.

The link was to an article titled 'Gun violence in America' same as the thread title.

If you want just gun murders, and there are thousands to discuss, start a new thread.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:21 PM   #150
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
Meh. Anyone can.

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 33,328

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
It's a 'gun violence' thread, not gun murders.

The link was to an article titled 'Gun violence in America' same as the thread title.

If you want just gun murders, and there are thousands to discuss, start a new thread.
Violence is an odd categorization for suicide. Is euthanasia "violence" as well?
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Denver Broncos