The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2018, 09:55 PM   #176
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
FEAR THE FRO Lindsay

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 11,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Would be a total letdown if he’s allowed to call plays again next year.
WR coach great playcalling yuck Agree Herc
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:35 PM   #177
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 17,353

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brendan Langley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
CU has two winning seasons this century. they play in the worst power 5 conference, they suck in it, and they have no established history in the conference -- which also means no established recruiting lines.
False. They have recruiting lines, CO, CA, TX. The coaches just haven’t done very well recruiting it. There are a bunch of excuses which have tumbled down since the sex party scandal got Gary Barnett fired, brought in the disastrous Hawkins/Embree eras. Since the end of those and bringing back Rick George who has fundamentally transformed the facilities, there is no excuses to under perform any longer, in recruiting or on the field. We just need a coach who isn’t afraid of recruiting. Chev did well, McIntyre never looked bought into it.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #178
TheRationalist
Psychologist
 
TheRationalist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boulder
Posts: 792

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
False. They have recruiting lines, CO, CA, TX. The coaches just haven’t done very well recruiting it. There are a bunch of excuses which have tumbled down since the sex party scandal got Gary Barnett fired, brought in the disastrous Hawkins/Embree eras. Since the end of those and bringing back Rick George who has fundamentally transformed the facilities, there is no excuses to under perform any longer, in recruiting or on the field. We just need a coach who isn’t afraid of recruiting. Chev did well, McIntyre never looked bought into it.
There was a quick cut in that video of Tucker touring the facilities where George was introducing Tucker to Chev.... I hope that's a sign the Buffs are trying to keep Chev, perhaps if he'll take a demotion from OC back to WRs coach...
TheRationalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #179
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer
 
Gutless Drunk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default




Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #180
TheRationalist
Psychologist
 
TheRationalist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boulder
Posts: 792

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post



This is good news for the Buffs... an experienced OC who has had some success, and retaining Chev, likely as a WRs coach. Best of both worlds.
TheRationalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #181
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer
 
Hercules Rockefeller's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,436

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams
Default

Chiv being kept only as the WR coach/Recruiting Coordinator, so doesn't get to keep the OC title in name only
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #182
TheRationalist
Psychologist
 
TheRationalist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boulder
Posts: 792

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

There was some talk about Brian Cabral coming back to coach the ILBs for CU.... retaining Els doesn't bode well for that idea. Would love to see it happen though.
TheRationalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:37 PM   #183
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer
 
Gutless Drunk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Getting fired and demoted usually means taking a financial loss in just about every normal business.

Not in college football. And not for Mike MacIntyre, who is set to make more money than he ever has in his life over the next three years despite his termination last month at the University of Colorado.

After making $2.9 in guaranteed pay during his last season at CU, he now is set to collect about $4.9 million a year over the next three years, including paychecks from CU and his new job as defensive coordinator at Ole Miss. Ole Miss confirmed to USA TODAY it will pay MacIntyre $1.5 million a year over the next three years.

Colorado athletics spokesman David Plati also confirmed to USA TODAY that CU is on the hook to pay MacIntyre his full contract buyout of $10.3 million in monthly payments through 2021. His contract at Colorado initially was signed shortly after his hiring in late 2012 and said he had a duty to obtain new employment in the event of his firing from CU. It also said that the buyout
owed to him would be reduced by any amounts he received as a college head coach, NFL head coach or NFL assistant coach.

In this case, he did not get one of those jobs and instead took a demotion as a college assistant coach. Therefore CU is on the hook to pay him the full buyout, setting him up to become far richer for being fired than he would have been if he had been retained at Colorado, at least over the next three years. That's up to $4.9 million in average combined pay per year vs. about $3 million in guaranteed pay that he was due each year at CU, plus an extra $300,000 per year in incentives he was likely to earn.


https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ls/2271819002/
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #184
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 17,353

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brendan Langley
Default

Cost of doing business. Can’t keep a guy who finished last 5 of 6 seasons as hc.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #185
TheRationalist
Psychologist
 
TheRationalist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boulder
Posts: 792

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Ty Evans flips to NC State. We knew a few of these would happen but this one hurts as he was a top candidate for Buffs QBOTF.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/1...erback-commit/
TheRationalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #186
ShaneFalco
Infamous
 
ShaneFalco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 17,179
Default

lol
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #187
TheRationalist
Psychologist
 
TheRationalist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boulder
Posts: 792

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

Mel Tucker's first offers are to 3-Star TE Kyle Patterson from Arizona and 4-star OLB Marvin Ham from Michigan.... he's visiting some of his targets from GA while making the house visits to Mac's recruits he wants to retain.

Additionally, word on the street is that the Buffs are interested in signing Tee Martin, although with the team already staffed up at OC and WR, would be interesting to see how he fits. A Martin signing would poach a recruit or two from USC.

https://www.ralphiereport.com/buffal...oes-head-coach
TheRationalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #188
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 17,314

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marquez
Default

https://coloradopeakpolitics.com/201...roval-meeting/

BAN FOOTBALL? OR CANCER? WAIT, WHAT? Democrat CU Regents Embarrass Selves at CU Buffs Football Coach Contract Approval Meeting

Posted on by ColoradoPeakPolitics

The University of Colorado’s elected Board of Regents met today to approve the contract of new Buffs head football coach Mel Tucker. Tucker was most recently the defensive coordinator at the University of Georgia, a program that has become a national powerhouse.

Today should have been a formality, as the Board of Regents unanimously approved both of the past two Buffs head football coaches’ contracts. But did the Democrat Regents turn it into a clown show. BuffZone’s Brian Howell has the greatest, erm, hits in his recap of the clusterf$ck of a meeting (emphases ours, but seriously, read the entirety of Howell’s piece; your jaw will hit the floor):
Griego began discussion by asking athletic director Rick George and chancellor Phil DiStefano to elaborate on a portion of Tucker’s contract that requires “administering the football program in a manner that places an emphasis on player safety and does not expose players to undue or unnecessary risk…”
Nevertheless, Shoemaker voted against the contract because of what she views as a lack of safety in the game.
“This is not a vote against Mel Tucker,” Shoemaker said. “I wish him well. I hope he’ll be spectacularly successful here and I also hope he and his family are genuinely happy living in Colorado. However, I need to vote against the contract because coaching contracts are about the only opportunity the regents have to weigh in on the football program, which is a campus-level responsibility…. All this talk about toughness, physicality and hitting makes me personally nervous. Why? Because I’m a mother and a grandmother, and I’ve studied some of these issues. Hard hits are the things that reliably lead to head trauma…
It’s football. It’s supposed to be rough. Have they seen football?
Citing the $10 million subsidy, Kroll said:
“What more could the university do with that money? … The answer is that for every dollar we subsidize coaches making six- and seven-figure annual salaries, we burden more students with loan debt or even worse, no education at all. For every dollar we subsidize coaches’ salaries, we push the cure for cancer and other life-threatening illness that much further away…
Eventually, CU Regent Chair, Republican Sue Sharkey, stepped in, reminding Kroll that he gladly accepts free tickets to the very same CU football games that, admittedly, don’t cure cancer, before closing with the following:
“The purpose for the meeting today was to vote on a contract for the football coach,” Sharkey said. “I don’t agree that we should use that as an opportunity to posture our personal options on athletics or the football program. Our purpose there today was to vote on a contract. I would have preferred that these conversations would have taken place in the appropriate committee. That’s why we have committees, to have opportunities to have presentations and be well-informed on issues.”
Oooh, burn. Sharkey rightfully noted that Kroll was woefully uninformed about this issue. In the end, Tucker’s contract was approved by a 6-2 margin, with Shoemaker and Kroll voting no and Griego abstaining.


To recap:


1) Griego didn’t want Tucker’s contract approved because football can lead to injuries (ban cooking while you’re at it);

2) Kroll voted no because football doesn’t do anything to cure cancer (though Kroll’s own biography cites attending football games as his favorite thing about CU Boulder); and

3) Shoemaker, with her, uh, unique perspective as a mother and grandmother, is worried about head trauma, taking exception with Tucker’s introductory comments about CU needing to be more physical on the defensive side of the ball.

These are three elected officials whose job it is to help govern and guide the University of Colorado system, and they embarrassed both the university and themselves today. See, the football program is an entirely different pot of money than the cancer research pot of money and, in fact, the football program brings in money for the school. But they should know that. For shame.


Former CU beat writer and current BSN Broncos beat writer Ryan Koenigsberg summed things up quite nicely in a Twitter response to Kroll’s comments, with a nod to Billy Madison:
“What you just said is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your incoherent response were you even close to a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #189
TheRationalist
Psychologist
 
TheRationalist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boulder
Posts: 792

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay
Default

This should not be a political thread at all... Kroll's decision was ill-advised. The other Democrat on the board voted in favor.
TheRationalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #190
tonngo0
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
https://coloradopeakpolitics.com/201...roval-meeting/

BAN FOOTBALL? OR CANCER? WAIT, WHAT? Democrat CU Regents Embarrass Selves at CU Buffs Football Coach Contract Approval Meeting

Posted on by ColoradoPeakPolitics

The University of Colorado’s elected Board of Regents met today to approve the contract of new Buffs head football coach Mel Tucker. Tucker was most recently the defensive coordinator at the University of Georgia, a program that has become a national powerhouse.

Today should have been a formality, as the Board of Regents unanimously approved both of the past two Buffs head football coaches’ contracts. But did the Democrat Regents turn it into a clown show. BuffZone’s Brian Howell has the greatest, erm, hits in his recap of the clusterf$ck of a meeting (emphases ours, but seriously, read the entirety of Howell’s piece; your jaw will hit the floor):
Griego began discussion by asking athletic director Rick George and chancellor Phil DiStefano to elaborate on a portion of Tucker’s contract that requires “administering the football program in a manner that places an emphasis on player safety and does not expose players to undue or unnecessary risk…”
Nevertheless, Shoemaker voted against the contract because of what she views as a lack of safety in the game.
“This is not a vote against Mel Tucker,” Shoemaker said. “I wish him well. I hope he’ll be spectacularly successful here and I also hope he and his family are genuinely happy living in Colorado. However, I need to vote against the contract because coaching contracts are about the only opportunity the regents have to weigh in on the football program, which is a campus-level responsibility…. All this talk about toughness, physicality and hitting makes me personally nervous. Why? Because I’m a mother and a grandmother, and I’ve studied some of these issues. Hard hits are the things that reliably lead to head trauma…
It’s football. It’s supposed to be rough. Have they seen football?
Citing the $10 million subsidy, Kroll said:
“What more could the university do with that money? … The answer is that for every dollar we subsidize coaches making six- and seven-figure annual salaries, we burden more students with loan debt or even worse, no education at all. For every dollar we subsidize coaches’ salaries, we push the cure for cancer and other life-threatening illness that much further away…
Eventually, CU Regent Chair, Republican Sue Sharkey, stepped in, reminding Kroll that he gladly accepts free tickets to the very same CU football games that, admittedly, don’t cure cancer, before closing with the following:
“The purpose for the meeting today was to vote on a contract for the football coach,” Sharkey said. “I don’t agree that we should use that as an opportunity to posture our personal options on athletics or the football program. Our purpose there today was to vote on a contract. I would have preferred that these conversations would have taken place in the appropriate committee. That’s why we have committees, to have opportunities to have presentations and be well-informed on issues.”
Oooh, burn. Sharkey rightfully noted that Kroll was woefully uninformed about this issue. In the end, Tucker’s contract was approved by a 6-2 margin, with Shoemaker and Kroll voting no and Griego abstaining.


To recap:


1) Griego didn’t want Tucker’s contract approved because football can lead to injuries (ban cooking while you’re at it);

2) Kroll voted no because football doesn’t do anything to cure cancer (though Kroll’s own biography cites attending football games as his favorite thing about CU Boulder); and

3) Shoemaker, with her, uh, unique perspective as a mother and grandmother, is worried about head trauma, taking exception with Tucker’s introductory comments about CU needing to be more physical on the defensive side of the ball.

These are three elected officials whose job it is to help govern and guide the University of Colorado system, and they embarrassed both the university and themselves today. See, the football program is an entirely different pot of money than the cancer research pot of money and, in fact, the football program brings in money for the school. But they should know that. For shame.


Former CU beat writer and current BSN Broncos beat writer Ryan Koenigsberg summed things up quite nicely in a Twitter response to Kroll’s comments, with a nod to Billy Madison:
“What you just said is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your incoherent response were you even close to a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”
tonngo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #191
ShaneFalco
Infamous
 
ShaneFalco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 17,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
https://coloradopeakpolitics.com/201...roval-meeting/

BAN FOOTBALL? OR CANCER? WAIT, WHAT? Democrat CU Regents Embarrass Selves at CU Buffs Football Coach Contract Approval Meeting

Posted on by ColoradoPeakPolitics

The University of Colorado’s elected Board of Regents met today to approve the contract of new Buffs head football coach Mel Tucker. Tucker was most recently the defensive coordinator at the University of Georgia, a program that has become a national powerhouse.

Today should have been a formality, as the Board of Regents unanimously approved both of the past two Buffs head football coaches’ contracts. But did the Democrat Regents turn it into a clown show. BuffZone’s Brian Howell has the greatest, erm, hits in his recap of the clusterf$ck of a meeting (emphases ours, but seriously, read the entirety of Howell’s piece; your jaw will hit the floor):
Griego began discussion by asking athletic director Rick George and chancellor Phil DiStefano to elaborate on a portion of Tucker’s contract that requires “administering the football program in a manner that places an emphasis on player safety and does not expose players to undue or unnecessary risk…”
Nevertheless, Shoemaker voted against the contract because of what she views as a lack of safety in the game.
“This is not a vote against Mel Tucker,” Shoemaker said. “I wish him well. I hope he’ll be spectacularly successful here and I also hope he and his family are genuinely happy living in Colorado. However, I need to vote against the contract because coaching contracts are about the only opportunity the regents have to weigh in on the football program, which is a campus-level responsibility…. All this talk about toughness, physicality and hitting makes me personally nervous. Why? Because I’m a mother and a grandmother, and I’ve studied some of these issues. Hard hits are the things that reliably lead to head trauma…
It’s football. It’s supposed to be rough. Have they seen football?
Citing the $10 million subsidy, Kroll said:
“What more could the university do with that money? … The answer is that for every dollar we subsidize coaches making six- and seven-figure annual salaries, we burden more students with loan debt or even worse, no education at all. For every dollar we subsidize coaches’ salaries, we push the cure for cancer and other life-threatening illness that much further away…
Eventually, CU Regent Chair, Republican Sue Sharkey, stepped in, reminding Kroll that he gladly accepts free tickets to the very same CU football games that, admittedly, don’t cure cancer, before closing with the following:
“The purpose for the meeting today was to vote on a contract for the football coach,” Sharkey said. “I don’t agree that we should use that as an opportunity to posture our personal options on athletics or the football program. Our purpose there today was to vote on a contract. I would have preferred that these conversations would have taken place in the appropriate committee. That’s why we have committees, to have opportunities to have presentations and be well-informed on issues.”
Oooh, burn. Sharkey rightfully noted that Kroll was woefully uninformed about this issue. In the end, Tucker’s contract was approved by a 6-2 margin, with Shoemaker and Kroll voting no and Griego abstaining.


To recap:


1) Griego didn’t want Tucker’s contract approved because football can lead to injuries (ban cooking while you’re at it);

2) Kroll voted no because football doesn’t do anything to cure cancer (though Kroll’s own biography cites attending football games as his favorite thing about CU Boulder); and

3) Shoemaker, with her, uh, unique perspective as a mother and grandmother, is worried about head trauma, taking exception with Tucker’s introductory comments about CU needing to be more physical on the defensive side of the ball.

These are three elected officials whose job it is to help govern and guide the University of Colorado system, and they embarrassed both the university and themselves today. See, the football program is an entirely different pot of money than the cancer research pot of money and, in fact, the football program brings in money for the school. But they should know that. For shame.


Former CU beat writer and current BSN Broncos beat writer Ryan Koenigsberg summed things up quite nicely in a Twitter response to Kroll’s comments, with a nod to Billy Madison:
“What you just said is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your incoherent response were you even close to a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”
libtards gunna libtard
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #192
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer
 
ColoradoBuff's Avatar
 
In Manning We Trust......

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where the buffalo roam....
Posts: 3,005

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRationalist View Post
This should not be a political thread at all... Kroll's decision was ill-advised. The other Democrat on the board voted in favor.
Time to find someone to run against Kroll and Shoemaker. Shouldn't be hard. They must forget that they are elected officials and actions have consequences. They can easily be replaced!
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #193
ShaneFalco
Infamous
 
ShaneFalco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 17,179
Default

i embarassed to root for the buffs, with people like that in charge
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 PM.


Denver Broncos