The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2015, 12:10 AM   #126
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Establishing Jimmy as a likeable good guy at heart is absolutely the right creative decision. Showing how this guy becomes the unscrupulous schemer who would advise his clients to have someone whacked (and probably set them up with a guy to do it) is enough story fodder for at least two or three seasons. The hints that the story could continue past Omaha really gives this show as much material as it needs. Finding out how "Gene" gets back in the game could be just as interesting. It's good it's not trying to duplicate the pacing and stakes of Breaking Bad. That was right for Breaking Bad and it can't be topped. It wouldn't be right for this show and it'd be a pale imitation if they tried. This show needs to set it's own tone.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:42 AM   #127
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
Establishing Jimmy as a likeable good guy at heart is absolutely the right creative decision. Showing how this guy becomes the unscrupulous schemer who would advise his clients to have someone whacked (and probably set them up with a guy to do it) is enough story fodder for at least two or three seasons. The hints that the story could continue past Omaha really gives this show as much material as it needs. Finding out how "Gene" gets back in the game could be just as interesting. It's good it's not trying to duplicate the pacing and stakes of Breaking Bad. That was right for Breaking Bad and it can't be topped. It wouldn't be right for this show and it'd be a pale imitation if they tried. This show needs to set it's own tone.
Completely agree. I am more than fine with this character building right now.

I also really enjoy the fact that they are taking the time to be funny. Jimmy's character has always been funny and they are really expanding on that so far.

Everything has been setting up to move in different directions for the rest of the season. A lot of potential!
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:48 AM   #128
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHAD KELLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
I also really enjoy the fact that they are taking the time to be funny. Jimmy's character has always been funny and they are really expanding on that so far.

Everything has been setting up to move in different directions for the rest of the season. A lot of potential!
Agreed, Jimmy is funny. Big part of that is because Odenkirk's entire career has been in comedy, he was a writer for SNL and Conan O'Brien.

Very slick the way the producers let us slowly come around to the names and places, and that it's a prequel. Did you notice the first time he walked to the parking lot, he walked up to but then passed a Cadillac like the one Saul drove in BB? Nicely written.

Michael McKean is a crazy underrated actor, love that he's on board. But honestly, when you get past the introductory curiosities, there have been some very weak plot points thus far: Doubt the cholo blames Jimmy so heavily, he knows he was in the van all night with his own plate hanging off his ass ... and the cops breached Chuck's door with exactly zero legal justification. Those things start adding up, and I dunno.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:51 AM   #129
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Henderson

Quote:
He was already established as a guy with a good heart buried under slime. They are just building on the momentary glimpses we were given in Breaking Bad.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #130
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

I've really enjoyed the show so far, but last night's episode was the best so far... should satisfy any Breaking Bad fans griping that Better Call Saul hasn't been dark enough.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #131
bronco militia
made a business decision"

Bad, Bad, Bad Donks!

Quote:
I've really enjoyed the show so far, but last night's episode was the best so far... should satisfy any Breaking Bad fans griping that Better Call Saul hasn't been dark enough.
yep.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:26 AM   #132
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranges View Post
I get this notion. I do, but I think they're over doing it. I said he's too nice. I think the writers are under the impression that in order for us, the viewers, to be invested, we have to on some level like the guy as a person, which would be a legitimate concern if this wasnt a spinoff show. It is tho, and everyone already knows and loves Saul. They're dragging their feet big time, and its because the writing isnt there. BB was never this slow.
We must be watching different shows.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:29 AM   #133
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Wtf makes you think he's "too nice?" Hes starting the show out as a scam artist. He has a moral code to watch out for his brother and he doesn't want kids dying.

I actually don't think there's much of a transformation from nice guy to sleazeball. It's just from small time scam artist to sleazeball yet successful lawyer. It's just watching the same character throughout climb his own ladder of success. And maybe we will get to see present day Saul later on.
Even the sleazeball version of Saul in BB was likeable IMO. It's the complexity of the characters that make this franchise so entertaining. I guess it's like those 3D images hidden in pattern.... some can see it... some can not.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #134
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
It would hard to name a better character development than that of Walt. I think it will be talked about in film schools for years to come.
How Walter White Found His Inner Sociopath is and will be an all time classic.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #135
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
Is binge watching killing everyones attention span or what?? Not every episode and every milisecond is going to being !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the slow build, and I enjoy learning where James Mcgill eventually is becoming Saul
It really is me thinks. Hell, I'm guilty of losing my patience with watching tv commercials after getting use to mostly watching DVR'd shows. It's amazing how quickly we all become conditioned in different ways.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #136
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
... and the cops breached Chuck's door with exactly zero legal justification. Those things start adding up, and I dunno.
If you knew anything about the ABQ police dept. you wouldn't think this. The character in the show is just lucky he didn't then get shot. In real life he would have. Just google ABQ and justice dept to get a little taste and a new perspective.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:08 AM   #137
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
It really is me thinks. Hell, I'm guilty of losing my patience with watching tv commercials after getting use to mostly watching DVR'd shows. It's amazing how quickly we all become conditioned in different ways.
The last episode was definitely one perfect for watching as I did my house chores. Sometimes its great to have a show like this where I enjoy it but dont need to pay attention thoroughly to enjoy it.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:38 AM   #138
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHAD KELLY

Question: Now that we know more about Mike and how he landed in Land of Enchantment, I'm wondering how he will connect with other characters as the show moves forward. Specifically, he was Gus's guy in BB, and as I recall, Saul did not know Gus. Now that I type it out the question it seems less mysterious, but still ... anybody?

And - with that sack of money Saul has, why hasn't he upgraded in the automobile department?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #139
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Question: Now that we know more about Mike and how he landed in Land of Enchantment, I'm wondering how he will connect with other characters as the show moves forward. Specifically, he was Gus's guy in BB, and as I recall, Saul did not know Gus. Now that I type it out the question it seems less mysterious, but still ... anybody?

And - with that sack of money Saul has, why hasn't he upgraded in the automobile department?
Mike goes to eat at Pollo Hermanos or whatever it's called, and Gus and him meet up behind the building on accident. My guess!
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:59 AM   #140
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Mike's conversation with the shady vet is a hint how he goes down the road to meet with Gus is my guess. Jimmy wI'll probably only be peripherally involved in that. And Jimmy spent most of his bribe money on the suit and billboard, hoping it would lead to legit clients. He probably wants to get his business rolling before upgrading the wheels.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #141
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Depending on how long they want the show to run and it being a prequel, my guess is Gus shows up at the end of the 1st season to bridge season 2.

Also, jesse has been in talks of a role, so we could see captain cook and his 2 buddies badger and skinny Pete down the road.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #142
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Giancarlo Esposito has said he doesn't want Gus to appear if the new material doesn't add to the character's mythos... something to that affect. Since Gus isn't directly connected to Saul I would guess he doesn't appear on the show. I think Badger, Emilio Koyama, Krazy 8, Kuby and Huell are all likely candidates. If Jesse returns they have to make it organic to the story and not a gimmick. It would probably make most sense if it was concurrent with the BB timeline, or even after since we are supposed to get more post Omaha story down the road.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:15 AM   #143
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
Giancarlo Esposito has said he doesn't want Gus to appear if the new material doesn't add to the character's mythos... something to that affect. Since Gus isn't directly connected to Saul I would guess he doesn't appear on the show. I think Badger, Emilio Koyama, Krazy 8, Kuby and Huell are all likely candidates. If Jesse returns they have to make it organic to the story and not a gimmick. It would probably make most sense if it was concurrent with the BB timeline, or even after since we are supposed to get more post Omaha story down the road.

If Mike is heavily involved I don't see how gus isn't brought in, as well as hector and the mexi cartel.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:29 AM   #144
Targaryen
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I wonder if he'll make his first "Better Call Saul" commercial for the season finale.
I understand building a solid foundation for a characters origins, but I hope they don't wait too long for him to go full criminal-lawyer. I'm eager.
Targaryen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #145
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
If Mike is heavily involved I don't see how gus isn't brought in, as well as hector and the mexi cartel.
It's Saul's show, not Mike's. Yeah they just had an origin episode for Mike, but his role on the show will probably revolve largely around what he does for Saul. And Gus didn't know Saul. Even if they wanted to bring Gus back, GE has to agree to reprise the role, and it doesn't sound like he'd come back for a peripheral role or cameo. A meaty reprise that expands on Gus' mythos enough to convince GE to return probably doesn't fit in a show about Saul.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #146
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
It's Saul's show, not Mike's. Yeah they just had an origin episode for Mike, but his role on the show will probably revolve largely around what he does for Saul. And Gus didn't know Saul. Even if they wanted to bring Gus back, GE has to agree to reprise the role, and it doesn't sound like he'd come back for a peripheral role or cameo. A meaty reprise that expands on Gus' mythos enough to convince GE to return probably doesn't fit in a show about Saul.
I remember over summer Gilligan talked about bringing Gus back. That his character has so much more to say in the years before BB. "I know a guy who knows a guy" is enough for me to believe he could come back. You're right the show is Sauls, but Mike is going to have a deeper role than just one episode. If we are to learn of him as a person, leaving out that phase in his life meeting Gus would be cheap. They can use mikes character to bridge the gap into Gus. But it's got to be more than just one episode. If they don't use him in Saul, I wouldn't be surprised if they go through with their other idea, "the rise of Gus" down the road.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 03-16-2015 at 12:55 PM..
Old 03-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #147
CHEF LUIGI
bronco fan: day 1, 1960

cooking up a victory

When and why he changes his name to saul, that will be the cliffhanger.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #148
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
S'all good man...
Old 03-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #149
Hugh Jasole
Seasoned Veteran

2 people short of a 3some

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
The scene in the alley when they stole the guy's watch and he said "s'all good, man" was great foreshadowing I thought. It's all I think of now when I hear Saul Goodman.

I also thought the episode about Mike was one of the best single episodes of a show I've seen in a long time.

I'd prefer they not rush and turn Jimmy into Breaking Bad-era Saul, there's a goldmine of things to cover before we get there. Enjoy the ride and don't be in such a hurry.
Hugh Jasole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #150
ShutDownPoster
some like it hot

Bell Biv DVOA

I'm really digging the show. If you recall, Walt was going to bury his ass alive when they first met in BB - with the development of the origins of his character you can see how he's been in that situation before and slithered his way out of it. Brings a whole new meaning to those original BB episodes.
ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote