The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2018, 09:56 PM   #26
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHAD KELLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Least number of sacks in twelve years has a lot to do with the QB.
Definitely. When this topic comes up, I usually ask the question: What QB is the all-time leader in sack avoidance? It's not Vick or Tarkenton or Randall Cunningham, it's actually Dan Marino. Led the league 10 of his 17 years, and is the All-Time record holder at just 3.13 sacks per 100 passes.

That's what I usually ask, but it turns out now it's a TIE for the All-Time record... Guess who...?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:30 AM   #27
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
Swag Kelly
Says the guy who only came here to worship Tebow.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #28
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

"Buy in, or get the hell out."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Definitely. When this topic comes up, I usually ask the question: What QB is the all-time leader in sack avoidance? It's not Vick or Tarkenton or Randall Cunningham, it's actually Dan Marino. Led the league 10 of his 17 years, and is the All-Time record holder at just 3.13 sacks per 100 passes.

That's what I usually ask, but it turns out now it's a TIE for the All-Time record... Guess who...?
Not surprising. Both QBs are known for their presnap reads and quick releases.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #29
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
I think as far as actually getting out of pocket trouble, Siemian was much, much better than Orton. I think he secretly liked doing it, and made sure to take a couple extra unnecessary steps backward in the wrong direction each passing snap just to boost the odds. He was also extremely good at being completely oblivious to the pressure when it did finally come, however, and rarely chose to exhibit both skills simultaneously.
Finally? I remember "finally" as roughly 1.5 seconds...the length of time it took Michael Schoefield, Max Garcia, Donald Stephenson or Ty Sambrailo to holler "LOOK OUT!!"
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:12 PM   #30
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:22 PM   #31
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHAD KELLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Finally? I remember "finally" as roughly 1.5 seconds...the length of time it took Michael Schoefield, Max Garcia, Donald Stephenson or Ty Sambrailo to holler "LOOK OUT!!"

But Assassin is right I think ... the only way a couple of statues like Manning and Marino are tied for the all-time sack-avoidance record is they recognize where the pressure's gonna come from, and both have those snap quick releases. Its great that Mudd's coming in to share some wisdom, but Peyton would've had those skills with or without him.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #32
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Mudd is a power scheme coach. Not sure what all he could add. This is something Manning lobbied for, so I am unclear if this was a favor he was doing the Broncos, as a not-so-subtle hnit about how he feels about the current situation on the offensive line, or if this is a favor he did for Mudd who may be looking for work. Regardless, I think the more people they bring in, the better.
Actually, he is not a power scheme coach Kaylore. He runs everything. INDY was actually much more zone when Manning was here and they ran a ton of Outside stretch until Manning could not make the handoffs as easily as he did when Edgerrin James was here.

What Mudd does is excel in making average guys serviceable. Very similar to Dante Scarnecchia in New England. He always rolled out guys who could at least not suck for Manning as they were often injured during that time as well. Mudd is eccentric but a very, very Good OL coach. Glad to see Denver trying something to help their perennial terrible OL play.....
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:07 AM   #33
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Actually, he is not a power scheme coach Kaylore. He runs everything. INDY was actually much more zone when Manning was here and they ran a ton of Outside stretch until Manning could not make the handoffs as easily as he did when Edgerrin James was here.

What Mudd does is excel in making average guys serviceable. Very similar to Dante Scarnecchia in New England. He always rolled out guys who could at least not suck for Manning as they were often injured during that time as well. Mudd is eccentric but a very, very Good OL coach. Glad to see Denver trying something to help their perennial terrible OL play.....
Yeah i seem to remeber a lot of Zone running when Manning was there.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #34
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
That's an exaggeration. A misremember based on a case of people repeating it until it's assumed true. That an a couple of epic meltdowns.

It became obvious last season that our QB's had no idea how to navigate a pocket. The o-line was far from a strength, but their shortcomings were severely exacerbated by the QB's. None of them stepped up when they should have, and stood flat footed right in the path of the outside rush, where they were being correctly led by the tackles. Well that or running backwards, which is actually worse.

That is aside from so many of TS worst plays coming when there was no rush.
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:29 AM   #35
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

The line has been getting better, incrementally, each season. Drafting and spending money at the position has helped. Getting some better QB play and better coordinating will definitely help.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:16 AM   #36
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Yeah i seem to remeber a lot of Zone running when Manning was there.
I wonder if Case has the legs to work that same wide stretch hand off, with a young RB giving him daylight and choices upfield would be nicer than having him run into a pile or dance to find daylight. Plus no one seems to run a true stretch play anymore.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote