The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #76
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoblood32 View Post
I agree. He comes across douchey (that a word?) and he does that in his roles. He comes across little "too cool for school" and it does not flow naturally out of him. Ironic, since I like most of the movies he has been in. Like Crossroads, where he is a guitarist and eludes to the infamous "crossroads" where artists over the years have went to sell their soul to the devil. Starting with blues great Robert Johnson, where Robert Zimmerman (better known as Bob Dylan) claimed he went and the spot that Eric Clapton made his album Crossroads. (Check out the documentary on Robert Johnson and crossroads. Corner of Hwys 49 & 61 in Clarksdale Mississippi.

Aaaaaanyway, Macchio plays in that movie. A bit corny, but the guitar duel at the end was great. Macchio was acting but in real like Ry Cooter basically battled Stevie Vai for their soul.

Check it out.
The best angle in this whole thing that gives it more credibility than I expected is how nobody in the world gives a **** about what happened in '85 anymore except Daniel. That's real life.

He won the day, turned the corner, got everything he ever wanted, but still can't get past what happened. In the beginning you expect Johnny to be that guy. But he's winning everyone over by not.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #77
Arkie
Ring of Famer

I watched the first two episodes. Daniel seems like a 50 year old douche now. Thatís much worse than when he was a 16 year old whiny kid. I rooted for Daniel then, but now I hope Johnny kicks his ass. Looks like a great series.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #78
Greatspirits
Oh-doh-hee-yu

Ready for some Swag!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Outlaw

Quote:
I agree. He comes across douchey (that a word?) and he does that in his roles. He comes across little "too cool for school" and it does not flow naturally out of him. Ironic, since I like most of the movies he has been in. Like Crossroads, where he is a guitarist and eludes to the infamous "crossroads" where artists over the years have went to sell their soul to the devil. Starting with blues great Robert Johnson, where Robert Zimmerman (better known as Bob Dylan) claimed he went and the spot that Eric Clapton made his album Crossroads. (Check out the documentary on Robert Johnson and crossroads. Corner of Hwys 49 & 61 in Clarksdale Mississippi.

Aaaaaanyway, Macchio plays in that movie. A bit corny, but the guitar duel at the end was great. Macchio was acting but in real like Ry Cooter basically battled Stevie Vai for their soul.

Check it out.

Oh yeah, totally forgot he was in that, I loved that movie!
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #79
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Oh definitely. I like the series and you immediately start rooting for Johnny. Making a character a car salesman is a very easy way to make them unlikable.
I'm only 2 eps in. But its funny that a guy ruined his life because he never got over losing a youth karate tournament. Kind of a ridiculous place to start.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #80
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I'm only 2 eps in. But its funny that a guy ruined his life because he never got over losing a youth karate tournament. Kind of a ridiculous place to start.
I don't think it was really just the tournament. It was everything he was so wrapped up in from his youth coming apart in adulthood. And how hard that stuff can be to get over.

Something I think a lot of people can relate to.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #81
delany
Uber Bronco

Only have watched five....but if ever there was a need for a renaissance of the Cobra Kai philosophy, it is now with the SJW and emo World we live in.
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #82
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
There are people like that in the world, where they believe their life would have been so much better if (insert thing) did/did not happen. It is a bit melodramatic, but so is the Karate Kid.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:35 AM   #83
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I don't think it was really just the tournament. It was everything he was so wrapped up in from his youth coming apart in adulthood. And how hard that stuff can be to get over.

Something I think a lot of people can relate to.
Yes, it is about BALANCE and that is what Myagi (however you spell it) taught Danielson. The entire point of karate kid was karate was not about "fighting." Hell, the remake with Jackie Chan, Miyagi talks about how everything is kung fu. How you put in your jacket, how you take off your jacket, how you treat people. So, Daniel's success was the result of a good teacher who taught him right.

Johnny had many people that failed him, and that led to his road to perdition. They are developing that in his character. However, he is LOOKING BACK to when life had made most sense to him, and it was during that time.

Danielson sees it as something that should never return, cause it is an insult to Miyagi. However, what.Daniel is not seeing is how he has gotten too soft. Meaning, his misperception is being timid and weak is the way of karate, which is also not true. It shows in his spoiled fat son. I actually said in a earlier post that the son did not fit. I am wrobg, now thinking about it. It reflects in Danielson becoming soft. So he does fit and he is supposed to annoy you...about Danielson. He is the reason why his son his fat and spoiled.

Johnny, has shown that he has decent intentions. Including at the end of the original Karate Kid when he congratulated Daniel.

So his road to perdition has little to do with that actual loss. However, everyone hates losing. That is just human nature.

That is why neither are really the clear antagonist nor the protagonist. They are both at the same time and that is what is intriguing about the series and has us watching.

Plus, for those of us who grew up in the 80s, the music brings back memories and the attack on this pathetic sissy world we live in. Which is not going to be changing btw.

Last edited by Broncoblood32; 05-09-2018 at 05:01 PM..
Broncoblood32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:50 AM   #84
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
There are people like that in the world, where they believe their life would have been so much better if (insert thing) did/did not happen. It is a bit melodramatic, but so is the Karate Kid.
Yeah, KK is one of my fav movies ever, but I always found it a bit funny that people cared so much about a youth karate tournament in the valley.

Also, in KK2, its kinda hilarious that Daniel-San goes to Okinawa with this dude he still doesn't know THAT well, and somehow he gets involved in a fight for his survival. I want that scene where Miyagi thinks "how the hell am I gonna explain this to his mother". (though its possible I'm remembering this movie wrong)

Last edited by SonOfLe-loLang; 05-09-2018 at 10:54 AM..
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #85
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
One of my favorite guilty pleasure movies.

Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #86
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
"No Fate"

"Come with me if you want to live."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Yes, it is about BALANCE and that is what Myagi (however you spell it) taught Danielson. The entire point of karate kid was karate was not about "fighting." Hell, the remake with Jackie Chan, Miyagi talks about how everything is kung fu. How you put in your jacket, how you take off your jacket, how you treat people. So, Daniel's success was the result of a good teacher who taught him right.

Johnny had many people that failed him, and that led to his road to perdition. They developing that in his character. However, he is LOOKING BACK to when life had made most sense to him, and it was during that time.

Danielson sees it as something that should never return, cause it is an insult to Miyagi. However, what.Daniel is not seeing is how he has gotten too soft. Meaning, his misperception is being timid and weak is the way of karate, which is also not true. It shows in his spoiled fat son. I actually said in a earlier post that the son did not fit. I am wrobg, now thinking about it. It reflects in Danielson becoming soft. So he does fit and he is supposed to annoy you...about Danielson. He is the reason why his son his fat and spoiled.

Johnny, has shown that he has decent intentions. Including at the end of the original Karate Kid when he congratulated Daniel.

So his road to perdition has little to do with that actual loss. However, everyone hates losing. That is just human nature.

That is why neither are really the clear antagonist nor the protagonist. They are both at the same time and that is what is intriguing about the series and has us watching.

Plus, for those of us who grew up in the 80s, the music brings back memories and the attack on this pathetic sissy world we live in. Which is not going to be changing btw.
I saw that as well. When season 2 comes out I hope that Daniel-san starts to see that he has been too soft with his son and he need to instill discipline into him. Johnny need to learn that being the tough guy has been his down fall. I was listening to an interview with the writes of the series: according to them Johnny might have had a moment of weakness which made him loss the match against Daniel. He sees that moment and regrets it. Johnny re-starting Cobra Kai was Johnny trying to return to his winning ways.

I hope by season 3 or 4 Daniel and Johnny start to learn that they are opposite sides of the same coin. I mean you can literally see it with Johnny wearing black and Daniel wearing white. The "yin/yang".
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #87
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
I saw that as well. When season 2 comes out I hope that Daniel-san starts to see that he has been too soft with his son and he need to instill discipline into him. Johnny need to learn that being the tough guy has been his down fall. I was listening to an interview with the writes of the series: according to them Johnny might have had a moment of weakness which made him loss the match against Daniel. He sees that moment and regrets it. Johnny re-starting Cobra Kai was Johnny trying to return to his winning ways.

I hope by season 3 or 4 Daniel and Johnny start to learn that they are opposite sides of the same coin. I mean you can literally see it with Johnny wearing black and Daniel wearing white. The "yin/yang".
I think the theme is balance. That is the prevailing word that Miyagi taught and that will be the conclusion. Somewhere between the two extremes.

Asian yin yang, and that will probably the conclusion or the lesson learned over and over.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #88
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN

Quote:

Aaaaaanyway, Macchio plays in that movie. A bit corny, but the guitar duel at the end was great. Macchio was acting but in real life Ry Cooter basically battled Stevie Vai for their soul.

Check it out.
Outsiders
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #89
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN

Quote:
No his life was ruined because his coach and mentor tried to kill him after he lost.... see Karate Kid 2.

The fact Cobra Kai was disbanded and Johnny was stuck at home with a horrible step dad also showed his spiral down to be quite believable.

Last edited by Guess Who; 05-09-2018 at 05:16 PM..
Old 05-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #90
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
"No Fate"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

What I love most about the show is the fact that Johnny seems to have been living under a rock since 1984. Like he does get anything from the 2000's on. Comedy GOLD!
Old 05-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #91
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Outsiders
Yeah, of course.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #92
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN

Quote:
What I love most about the show is the fact that Johnny seems to have been living under a rock since 1984. Like he does get anything from the 2000's on. Comedy GOLD!
yeah that is part of the gold. His car, his music..... trying to recapture the best times of his life.... Gotta love that Challenger Daniel gave him though!!
Old 05-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #93
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
"No Fate"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
yeah that is part of the gold. His car, his music..... trying to recapture the best times of his life.... Gotta love that Challenger Daniel gave him though!!
That was sweet.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:22 PM   #94
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
"No Fate"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
I think the theme is balance. That is the prevailing word that Miyagi taught and that will be the conclusion. Somewhere between the two extremes.

Asian yin yang, and that will probably the conclusion or the lesson learned over and over.
Let's not forget Karate Kid 2. Sato's karate and Miyagi's karate is the same. Sato took it down a dark path. Same thing with Cobra Kai's karate. I hope the writers take Miguel and put him under Daniel's tutelage.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #95
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I really liked Karate Kid 2, but I need to see it again as a not-6-year-old. I remember the end scene probably way cooler than it really was.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:05 AM   #96
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Let's not forget Karate Kid 2. Sato's karate and Miyagi's karate is the same. Sato took it down a dark path. Same thing with Cobra Kai's karate. I hope the writers take Miguel and put him under Daniel's tutelage.
Nah, Johnny is eventually going to get it. There is a happy medium between what Johnny's version of Karate and that Daniel perceived Miyagi's karate.

In one of these episodes Daniel even said that we never stop learning. His student (Johnny's son) asked if he learned that from Miyagi. He said no, that he he sort of just made that up.

I think that was foreshadowing.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #97
CHEF LUIGI
bronco fan: day 1, 1960

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz313 View Post
That will always be safe as long as they don't reboot "Adventures in Baby Sitting"
cocktail?
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #98
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Sorry if this was already posted.

WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #99
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
cocktail?
Good call, maybe a close 2nd.
jmz313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #100
tsmarine1
Solid Starter

Formerly,tsmarine5

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I hope the interest keeps up....Macchio is a good dude and Hollywood needs more of his type.About 10 years ago I came across him at an airport and a big group of kids(how they knew who he was I have no idea)were trying to talk to him..and get his autograph etc and the guy stopped and spent a good 15 mins talking with the kids and laughing it up with them and their families.

I've always heard Zabka was the same way.
tsmarine1 is offline   Reply With Quote