The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2018, 06:37 AM   #2251
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Dixon had a good rookie season. Special teams was a complete disaster last year.

Draft Picks:

Round 1: 5th overall - Quenton Nelson, G - Notre Dame
Round 2: 24th overall - Ronald Jones, RB - USC
Round 3: 74th overall - Jamarco Jones, OT - Ohio State
Round 4: 109th overall - Jeff Holland, OLB/PRS - Auburn
Round 4: 128th overall - JC Jackson, CB - Maryland
Round 5: 161st overall - Tegray Scales, LB - Indiana
Round 5: 163rd overall - Jaleel Scott, WR - New Mexico State
Round 6: 182nd overall - Durham Smythe, TE - Notre Dame
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:11 AM   #2252
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Dixon had a good rookie season. Special teams was a complete disaster last year.
Honestly, punter is one position you should always go with on the cheap. Consider this:

Dixon's net punting average (I consider gross average irrelevant) was 40.2 yards, 22nd in the league. King's net average was 42.7 yards, good for third in the league. In other words, the difference between 22nd and 3rd in net punting average was 2.5 yards per kick. Not terribly significant. Dixon was ranked low in placing kicks inside the 20, but that can be function of an offense leaving you with a long field (i.e. less opportunities to pin a team back). So even though Dixon performed below average last season, the difference in his performance and the top performers is too marginal to go from his 7th round contract to several times the amount. Our ST woes had more to do with leaky coverage units and poor returning than it did with the punter. Plus, it's not like Dixon couldn't improve entering his third season. Bring in an undrafted free agent punter to compete and leave it at that.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #2253
orange skier
Who is Kyle Sloter..?

30 runs per game: we're unbeatable

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shelby Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Honestly, punter is one position you should always go with on the cheap. Consider this:

Dixon's net punting average (I consider gross average irrelevant) was 40.2 yards, 22nd in the league. King's net average was 42.7 yards, good for third in the league. In other words, the difference between 22nd and 3rd in net punting average was 2.5 yards per kick. Not terribly significant. Dixon was ranked low in placing kicks inside the 20, but that can be function of an offense leaving you with a long field (i.e. less opportunities to pin a team back). So even though Dixon performed below average last season, the difference in his performance and the top performers is too marginal to go from his 7th round contract to several times the amount. Our ST woes had more to do with leaky coverage units and poor returning than it did with the punter. Plus, it's not like Dixon couldn't improve entering his third season. Bring in an undrafted free agent punter to compete and leave it at that.

Nice post: well written and you used stats to back up your reasoning leading to your conclusion. All done without calling someone a retard, moron, idiot, etc. I find this wonderfully refreshing. Perfect way to start out Monday morning.
orange skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:49 AM   #2254
Zealot
I miss Wade

Quote:

You might want to do yourself a favor and look at King's stats playing in Denver.
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:52 AM   #2255
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:

Dixon's leg is too weak though, he plays 8 games in Denver and every punter out does him in games at Mile High.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #2256
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Casey Kreiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange skier View Post
Nice post: well written and you used stats to back up your reasoning leading to your conclusion. All done without calling someone a retard, moron, idiot, etc. I find this wonderfully refreshing. Perfect way to start out Monday morning.
What do you know? Jerk.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #2257
MamaMia
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange skier View Post
Not exactly. The two main points of his argument were:

1. The difference between Dixon's net and King's net were insignificant, and
2. One key reason that Dixon wasn't good at pinning teams inside their 20 was due to the offense leaving him with long fields.

Neither of these claims are backed up by statistics.

1. Do we know how much (in terms of wins, or other analytic value) an extra 2.5 yards per punt is worth? What about a game in which he punts 4 or 5 times? That's 20-25 yards of field position. Statistically, it's definitely significant. But we can't make the claim that it's not significant value-wise until we know the other statistics involved.

2. I watched the games too, and I have a hunch that this may be true. But without seeing just how bad we were at this in raw data, we could be giving Dixon more credit than he is due. Ever since our offense started to suck, we have been casually using this excuse for our defense, and now our special teams. I'm not saying the poster is wrong, i'm just saying that he hasn't supported his theory (contrary to your claim).
MamaMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:10 AM   #2258
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
Dixon's leg is too weak though, he plays 8 games in Denver and every punter out does him in games at Mile High.

Broncos should never have a kicking problem when 8 games are in thin air. Visiting kickers have all pro games in that stadium.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:11 AM   #2259
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMia View Post

2. One key reason that Dixon wasn't good at pinning teams inside their 20 was due to the offense leaving him with long fields.

1. Do we know how much (in terms of wins, or other analytic value) an extra 2.5 yards per punt is worth? What about a game in which he punts 4 or 5 times? That's 20-25 yards of field position. Statistically, it's definitely significant. But we can't make the claim that it's not significant value-wise until we know the other statistics involved.

2. I watched the games too, and I have a hunch that this may be true. But without seeing just how bad we were at this in raw data, we could be giving Dixon more credit than he is due. Ever since our offense started to suck, we have been casually using this excuse for our defense, and now our special teams. I'm not saying the poster is wrong, i'm just saying that he hasn't supported his theory (contrary to your claim).

I’d like to see the stat for this. Cause I remember plenty of drives that stalled near midfield.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:20 AM   #2260
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
You might want to do yourself a favor and look at King's stats playing in Denver.

Kong’s last 2 games in Denver 6 punts avg 51 with 2 inside 20. and 8 punts 56.5 with 5 inside 20.

Dixon in the same games 5 punts 45.2 with 3 inside 20. 5 punts 44.8 with 1 inside 20.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 04-02-2018 at 08:23 AM..
Old 04-02-2018, 08:23 AM   #2261
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMia View Post

I'm not claiming that King is not better. I'm claiming that the differences are not substantial enough to pay King $2.5 million (his 2017 salary) rather than pay Dixon $630,000 (what he is scheduled to make in 2018). Is King's production so much better than Dixon's (especially when factoring in positional value) as to warrant paying him 4x the salary? I don't believe it is. Now, if King becomes available for, say, $1 million, then that's a different discussion. I'm assuming he'll cost more than that.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:23 AM   #2262
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Kong’s last 2 games in Denver avg 51 with 2 inside 20. and 56.5 with 5 inside 20.
That's just sexy.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:24 AM   #2263
Zealot
I miss Wade

Quote:
Broncos should never have a kicking problem when 8 games are in thin air. Visiting kickers have all pro games in that stadium.
Exactly. And the guys who stands out in my memory as dominant kickers here are Lechler and King
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:24 AM   #2264
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Kong’s last 2 games in Denver 6 punts avg 51 with 2 inside 20. and 8 punts 56.5 with 5 inside 20.

Dixon in the same games 5 punts 45.2 with 3 inside 20. 5 punts 44.8 with 1 inside 20.
The sample size is way too small to assume that King's numbers over a full season would approach that.

But if you think the possibility is worth 4x the money we are paying Dixon, then so be it. Punting has become so specialized that the distinction between a guy at the top and a guy who's average or a little below average is like the difference between first and third in the luge.

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 04-02-2018 at 08:26 AM..
Old 04-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #2265
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
I'm not claiming that King is not better. I'm claiming that the differences are not substantial enough to pay King $2.5 million (his 2017 salary) rather than pay Dixon $630,000 (what he is scheduled to make in 2018). Is King's production so much better than Dixon's (especially when factoring in positional value) as to warrant paying him 4x the salary? I don't believe it is. Now, if King becomes available for, say, $1 million, then that's a different discussion. I'm assuming he'll cost more than that.

King in Denver was better than Dixon. That’s 8 games he would avg 50 or more. That’s a big difference.

But I understand your salary angle. I don’t like Kings personality. Dude is a clown who locks up yellow flags and throws them, as a punter. I could see impact players doing that, but you’re a punter. Know your role.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:27 AM   #2266
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
The sample size is way too small to assume that King's numbers over a full season would approach that.

But if you think the possibility is worth 4x the money we are paying Dixon, then so be it. Punting has become so specialized that the distinction between a guy at the top and a guy who's average or a little below average is like the difference between first and third in the luge.

For me it would be safe to say he adds 3-4 or so yards to his avg in thin air for 8 games.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:29 AM   #2267
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
For me it would be safe to say he adds 3-4 or so yards to his avg in thin air for 8 games.
Even if you're right, how much above $630,000 would you pay for a guy (on average) putting the ball on the 23 yard line instead of the 26?
Old 04-02-2018, 08:32 AM   #2268
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
Even if you're right, how much above $630,000 would you pay for a guy (on average) putting the ball on the 23 yard line instead of the 26?

I wouldn’t. Cause I think King is a clown and draws penalties. Although the punter position for this team is more important than others cause of so many failed drives. But Dixon will be OK as long as he continues to improve.

I say keep Dixon and bring in some UDFA for competition. They already signed another kicker to compete with McManus
Old 04-02-2018, 08:33 AM   #2269
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I wouldn’t. Cause I think King is a clown and draws penalties. Although the punter position for this team is more important than others cause of so many failed drives. But Dixon will be OK as long as he continues to improve.

I say keep Dixon and bring in some UDFA for competition. They already signed another kicker to compete with McManus
Agree 100%.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:38 AM   #2270
Ziggy
Ring of Famer

Noob

Quote:

A kicker who converted field goals at a rate of 66.1% in college and has never attempted a kick in the pros? I'm not sure how much competition he is as much as a camp leg.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote