The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #12576
baja
Headmaster

"Win from now on" - Elway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
How have you never heard that before?
I don't know.

I had never heard Elway was almost a Raider until this thread.

The only thing I can think it is because maybe Oakland had the second pick that year and Colts were going to pass on JE because he threatened to play baseball?

When I read the post I assumed the poster meant Al Davis was in negotiation for Elway's rights along with us which I had never heard about . So as youcan see I still don't know the story.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #12577
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz313 View Post
I'm pretty sure it goes.... When you draft a player, you draft the rights to sign him for a league year. if that team fails to sign you re-enter the draft. So, Elway was never a Colt officially but everyone knows that story.

Elway said he'd just play baseball instead as he was drafted by the Yankees around the same time. But, as we know, did not sign a contract (at least one not damning to the NFL career) with then either. I think he was drafted twice in baseball, which i guess is somewhat common.

This is well said, the Colts never officially Drafted Elway. Was a bronco from Day 1.
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #12578
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I don't know.

I had never heard Elway was almost a Raider until this thread.

The only thing I can think it is because maybe Oakland had the second pick that year and Colts were going to pass on JE because he threatened to play baseball?

When I read the post I assumed the poster meant Al Davis was in negotiation for Elway's rights along with us which I had never heard about . So as youcan see I still don't know the story.
Did you watch the 30 for 30 on Elway's draft? I'm pretty sure it went over it there.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #12579
Gort
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples Champ View Post
This is well said, the Colts never officially Drafted Elway. Was a bronco from Day 1.
what are you talking about?

the Colts absolutely DID draft him.

they just never were able to sign him and traded his rights (if you're getting technical) to Denver. but the Colts certainly did draft him.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #12580
baja
Headmaster

"Win from now on" - Elway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Did you watch the 30 for 30 on Elway's draft? I'm pretty sure it went over it there.
I did not find it for free but I found this;

Thirty years ago, the draft in 1983 changed the NFL. The class featured seven hall of famers, led by first overall pick John Elway. The Stanford quarterback was one of a record six quarterbacks to be taken in the first round that year.

The story of Elway and Dan Marino, the final quarterback taken in the first round, is the focus of Elway to Marino. Airing at 8 p.m. on ESPN, it's the latest gem in the network's 30 for 30 series of documentaries. Directed by Ken Rodgers of NFL Films, the documentary's central figure is agent Marvin Demoff. That year, he represented both Elway and Marino.

Demoff kept a diary of the events leading up to the 1983 draft. In the documentary, he shares for the first time the different visits and interactions his clients had with teams. It reveals how close different teams came to drafting two of the best quarterbacks in NFL history.

Hall of Famers from the '83 class

John Elway, QB, Broncos (Round 1, pick 1)

Eric Dickerson, RB, Rams (Round 1, pick 2)

Bruce Matthews, G, Oilers (Round 1, pick 9)

Jim Kelly, QB, Bills (Round 1, pick 14)

Dan Marino, QB, Dolphins (Round 1, pick 27)

Darrell Green, CB, Redskins (Round 1, pick 28)

Richard Dent, DE, Bears (Round 8, pick 203)

Elway was that year's Andrew Luck. He was so unquestionably the No. 1 pick in the draft. But the Stanford product refused to play for the Baltimore Colts, owners of the first overall pick. His fallback was to play right field for the New York Yankees. How good was Elway at baseball? The team's owner, George Steinbrenner, compared Elway to Mickey Mantle.

Marino came into his senior season at Pittsburgh as the top-rated quarterback in the nation, but had a disappointing final year. Questions also arose about Marino possibly abusing drugs. Because of those concerns, Marino saw five quarterbacks get drafted in front of him in the first round.

At the time, a young Ernie Accorsi was the general manager of the Colts. He knew Elway didn't want to play for Baltimore and head coach Frank Kush. Leading up to the draft, there were plenty of suitors for the No. 1 pick. But Acorsi required a top five pick in return so he could draft Marino.

At one point, the San Francisco 49ers floated a Joe Montana trade before Bill Walsh backed off. The Oakland Raiders tried to pull off a three-team trade that would have sent Howie Long to the Chicago Bears and draft picks to Baltimore.

Veteran quarterback Danny White was part of a deal put together by the Dallas Cowboys to get Elway. White played for Kush at Arizona State.

Hall of Fame guard John Hannah was floated in a deal involving the New England Patriots. The San Diego Chargers feigned interest in trading up to get Elway only to convince star quarterback Dan Fouts to re-sign.

As several teams offered top-line players for Elway, Marino was everyone's fall back. Accorsi wanted him in Baltimore when he traded Elway. The Buffalo Bills were picking between Marino and Jim Kelly who didn't even want to play in Buffalo.

Despite taking place 30 years ago, Elway to Marino showcases the cunning needed to run a draft. Denver Broncos head coach Dan Reeves wanted Elway. He knew Colts head coach Frank Kush liked Northwestern guard Chris Hinton. So with the fourth pick in the draft, the Broncos took Hinton and eventually moved him to get Elway. More so than ever before, the curtain of NFL dealings is peeled back for everyone to see.

In the end, Accorsi was steadfast on drafting Elway, even if that meant the quarterback sitting out a season. The GM didn't want to take a weak offer that came up during the draft.

"I knew what the '84 draft was going to produce," Accorsi said. "A Boomer Esiason was picked in the second round. He played like a No. 1, but at the time he wasn't a first-round pick. So what do you think I'd be able to get between the end of the '83 season and the '84 draft? Everyone would try to get (Elway)."

When Colts owner Robert Irsay rushed trading Elway for Hinton, a backup quarterback and a first-round pick in 1984, Accorsi quit. He went on to stack the Cleveland Browns and New York Giants with talent for several years.

The 1983 NFL Draft is arguably the most revered in league history. Elway to Marino is a nice reminder of it.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:32 AM   #12581
KCStud

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Who gives a ****. You guys spend so much time trying to look between the lines. Yes the colts drafted him and Denver developed him. They traded what it took to get him.
Maddox
Griese
Cutler
Twilight

^ definitely worthy of making fun of another team for drafting QB poorly
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #12582
Br0nc0Buster
You honeydicking?

Super Bowl 50 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Maddox
Griese
Cutler
Twilight

You left out Tebow
Who was out of football after only 4 seasons and somehow still has accomplished more than the entire Chiefs franchise in almost 3 decades
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:41 AM   #12583
BossChief
AFCCG or bust

"Next year" is finally here!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz313 View Post
I'm pretty sure it goes.... When you draft a player, you draft the rights to sign him for a league year. if that team fails to sign you re-enter the draft. So, Elway was never a Colt officially but everyone knows that story.

Elway said he'd just play baseball instead as he was drafted by the Yankees around the same time. But, as we know, did not sign a contract (at least one not damning to the NFL career) with then either. I think he was drafted twice in baseball, which i guess is somewhat common.
didn't the royals draft him?
BossChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #12584
BossChief
AFCCG or bust

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Who gives a ****. You guys spend so much time trying to look between the lines. Yes the colts drafted him and Denver developed him. They traded what it took to get him.
I don't care about you guys argument. I just refuted the statement that they drafted him.

They didn't.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #12585
KCStud

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I forgot Teblow! How could I forget?!

Surely Donkey fans can boast about their great QB drafting history.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #12586
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
I forgot Teblow! How could I forget?!

Surely Donkey fans can boast about their great QB drafting history.
The Broncos draft history is respectable, not great, but respectable, especially when you factor in Elway whom the Broncos traded for the rights to, before the 1983 season began. Post Elway, when you factor in that Tebow won a playoff game it's a bright and shinning example of success compared to KC's draft history.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #12587
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Maddox
Griese
Cutler
Twilight

That would actually require KC to draft a QB early. They refuse to do it and would rather draft the Dorsey, Ty Jackson, Ford, Fisher, Sims, Baldwin type bums in the first.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:39 PM   #12588
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Maddox
Griese
Cutler
Twilight

all of these guys have either won a playoff game or were voted to the pro-bowl (except Twilight, and I expect he will do one of those this season).

Has a KC-drafted QB ever played in a pro-bowl, or won a playoff game?
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #12589
BossChief
AFCCG or bust

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post

all of these guys have either won a playoff game or were voted to the pro-bowl (except Twilight, and I expect he will do one of those this season).

Has a KC-drafted QB ever played in a pro-bowl, or won a playoff game?
I don't think so.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #12590
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
You left out Tebow
Who was out of football after only 4 seasons and somehow still has accomplished more than the entire Chiefs franchise in almost 3 decades
Hahahahaha!!! That is great
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #12591
KCStud

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
The Broncos draft history is respectable, not great, but respectable, especially when you factor in Elway whom the Broncos traded for the rights to, before the 1983 season began. Post Elway, when you factor in that Tebow won a playoff game it's a bright and shinning example of success compared to KC's draft history.
Yeah I know. As long as you're better than KC than parades and banners go up in Denver stating "job well done".....until they get humiliated by the Chiefs and then you guys rush to "oh well ummmm that's your uhh super bowl!"
Old 11-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #12592
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Yeah I know. As long as you're better than KC than parades and banners go up in Denver stating "job well done".....until they get humiliated by the Chiefs and then you guys rush to "oh well ummmm that's your uhh super bowl!"
Well, the Broncos have won a lot more games than KC too, and a lot more playoff games. How many playoff games has KC won in the last, oh, 30 years?
Old 11-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #12593
OABB
51-0 #p4pgreatest

#13 Trevor Siemian QB Broncos.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Quote:
You left out Tebow
BOOM. ****ing destruction.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #12594
KCStud

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Well, the Broncos have won a lot more games than KC too, and a lot more playoff games. How many playoff games has KC won in the last, oh, 30 years?
And yet the fanbase acts like you are the Steelers. And you're not.

You piddle Out your grand "history" when bottom line is you only have 1 more SB than KC, and you got fined for cheating to do it.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #12595
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
You left out Tebow
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Fantastic. Rep.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #12596
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

You piddle Out your grand "history" when bottom line is you only have 1 more SB than KC, and you got fined for cheating to do it.
You guys act like your franchise is better than even Oakland. You should quit making fun of them then.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #12597
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

Well, this is a Broncos' fan site. You do understand this? Also, don't you ever get tired of being wrong?
Old 11-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #12598
jacob2125
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You left out Tebow
jacob2125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #12599
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Are you only talking # of super bowl titles and ignoring other good seasons that just didn't end in a title? We have the best home record in the NFL over 30 years. We have averaged I think 10.2 wins per season since like 1985. Averaged. That's incredible. Been to how many super bowls and how many afc championships?
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:34 PM   #12600
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Are you only talking # of super bowl titles and ignoring other good seasons that just didn't end in a title? We have the best home record in the NFL over 30 years. We have averaged I think 10.2 wins per season since like 1985. Averaged. That's incredible. Been to how many super bowls and how many afc championships?
He's going to go all pimp on us and tell us the only thing that matters is Ringz, b****es!

Without it occurring to him that by his own definition he's ridden shotgun on an entire lifetime of failure.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote