The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #1
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default The Rise of the 4 Day Work Week

The Rise Of The 4-Day Week https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0f5aba7da3d5a

I read this thinking this is what our productivity and wealth in the US should lead to or some variant.

Then I thought about every corporate bean counter blowing a gasket because employees are units to be financially managed like robots on an assembly line.

For those of you that never worked in corporate the huge buzz word for the last 7 years has been “Human Capital Management” or HCM for short. Entire product suites were designed to monitor where you as human capital (welcome back to feudal serfdom) stood in the corporate production machine.

I think it is one of the most dehumanizing terms ever institutionalized in modern America.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #2
B-Large
Pork Hanger

Oily Variety Bohunk

lol, its okay- i literally do the bare minimum and mostly do it half-assed to get a paycheck and bennies... its a game of tit for tat... I couldn't give a **** less what happens here, and won't lift a finger to solve problems unless directly asked to.

that's the American worker culture...

I mostly spend my day designing client projects for my side business... corporations and 90% of middle management are functionally retarded.
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
lol, its okay- i literally do the bare minimum and mostly do it half-assed to get a paycheck and bennies... its a game of tit for tat... I couldn't give a **** less what happens here, and won't lift a finger to solve problems unless directly asked to.

that's the American worker culture...

I mostly spend my day designing client projects for my side business... corporations and 90% of middle management are functionally retarded.
This is exactly how you came to be known as Human Capital. That mindset drove you to be exactly that type of employee. And yes I get it and have lived it
Old 01-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I like this topic and I agree with what you guys are saying. At some point there just won't be enough work to employ enough people for a 5 day work week or at least it seems that way. I think the main thing that we have to do is keep talking about the four-day work week. Bring it up keep bringing it up.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart

I think a 9/80 work schedule is a good compromise.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:57 PM   #6
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I like this topic and I agree with what you guys are saying. At some point there just won't be enough work to employ enough people for a 5 day work week or at least it seems that way. I think the main thing that we have to do is keep talking about the four-day work week. Bring it up keep bringing it up.
I think it goes beyond that Garcia, actually with the Information Age there is no shortage of work to be done but that doesn’t mean the work is value add. In a lot of cases I think there’s a **** load of meaningless work created.

What I’m wondering is we have been promised more free time with the advent of the machine age. Machines will work so that you don’t have to. We are not creating leisure time. But I like the idea that a 4 day work wedk can actually be a “thing” without some bean counter just considering the 8 hours off “lost productivity”.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Casey Kreiter

Quote:
Since at least the Great Depression, we’ve been hearing warnings that automation was or was about to be throwing millions out of work—Keynes at the time coined the term “technological unemployment,” and many assumed the mass unemployment of the 1930s was just a sign of things to come—and while this might make it seem such claims have always been somewhat alarmist, what this book suggests is that the opposite was the case. They were entirely accurate. Automation did, in fact, lead to mass unemployment. We have simply stopped the gap by adding dummy jobs that are effectively made up. A combination of political pressure from both right and left, a deeply held popular feeling that paid employment alone can make one a full moral person, and finally, a fear on the part of the upper classes, already noted by George Orwell in 1933, of what the laboring masses might get up to if they had too much leisure on their hands, has ensured that whatever the underlying reality, when it comes to official unemployment figures in wealthy countries, the needle should never jump too far from the range of 3 to 8 percent. But if one eliminates bull**** jobs from the picture, and the real jobs that only exist to support them, one could say that the catastrophe predicted in the 1930s really did happen. Upward of 50 percent to 60 percent of the population has, in fact, been thrown out of work.
-David Graeber, Bull**** Jobs.

Read this book and then read it again.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:24 PM   #8
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Casey Kreiter

Btw: a four day work week would go a very long way towards solving our climate issues.

I also suggest this Twitter feed for anyone who is interested:

https://twitter.com/4Day_Week
Old 01-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #9
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
I think a 9/80 work schedule is a good compromise.
Bump that. A 3 day work week is what you ask for and the compromise is 4.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #10
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
I think it goes beyond that Garcia, actually with the Information Age there is no shortage of work to be done but that doesn’t mean the work is value add. In a lot of cases I think there’s a **** load of meaningless work created.

What I’m wondering is we have been promised more free time with the advent of the machine age. Machines will work so that you don’t have to. We are not creating leisure time. But I like the idea that a 4 day work wedk can actually be a “thing” without some bean counter just considering the 8 hours off “lost productivity”.
That's an excellent point. We never get the savings on our time as employees, and yes...value add work. I see many a year's worth of work that was just a complete waste of time.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #11
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Mobley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Btw: a four day work week would go a very long way towards solving our climate issues.

I also suggest this Twitter feed for anyone who is interested:

https://twitter.com/4Day_Week
When Jon Huntsman was our governor he implemented 4 day work weeks for all state employees to help with our climate issues. It was great...more time with family, less time calling in fake sick, 3 days off that helped the psyche. Then Huntsman left and our legislature put us back to 5 days. Why? Because one of the lead Senators brothers wanted to be able to access government services on Fridays, our days off and because they felt Huntsman was too moderate.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #12
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Casey Kreiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
When Jon Huntsman was our governor he implemented 4 day work weeks for all state employees to help with our climate issues. It was great...more time with family, less time calling in fake sick, 3 days off that helped the psyche. Then Huntsman left and our legislature put us back to 5 days. Why? Because one of the lead Senators brothers wanted to be able to access government services on Fridays, our days off and because they felt Huntsman was too moderate.
I think Huntsman would be really good for this country right now in so many different ways. I wish he'd run for president again. Unfortunately, he's a lot like a Bloomberg, in that he probably can't win a primary on either ticket, and the archaic Electoral College just eviscerates the chances of any 3rd party.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #13
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Bump that. A 3 day work week is what you ask for and the compromise is 4.
Sorry can't get on-board, laziness is not a redeeming quality IMO.

A 3 day work week is acceptable in the medical field if you're doing 12+ hour shifts but for most everyone else it doesn't work.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #14
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Casey Kreiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
Sorry can't get on-board, laziness is not a redeeming quality IMO.

A 3 day work week is acceptable in the medical field if you're doing 12+ hour shifts but for most everyone else it doesn't work.
Why does the time you don’t spend rented out to someone else equal “lazy time”?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #15
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

I think a huge caveat here is corporate vs mom and pop type businesses but each case is individual (although I think you can pretty much generalize about large corporations). My guess is 40 hours at a mom and pop is probably more productive time than a large Corp.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #16
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
https://www.ksl.com/article/46466592...s-30m-donation

They are a great family.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:24 PM   #17
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Casey Kreiter

Quote:
I think a huge caveat here is corporate vs mom and pop type businesses but each case is individual (although I think you can pretty much generalize about large corporations). My guess is 40 hours at a mom and pop is probably more productive time than a large Corp.
Also totally depends on your position. General rule of thumb is that the more useful you are, the less you are paid.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:14 PM   #18
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Also totally depends on your position. General rule of thumb is that the more useful you are, the less you are paid.
Not sure I agree with this but open to the thought behind it.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #19
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart

Automation has been on the rise since the 70’s and we are no closer to the end of all jobs as we know it. Automation has impacted heavy industry (auto’s / steal / medical devices / etc) but still requires human input at many critical points.

AI will continue to improve automation but it will be at a much slower pace that we expect. We are much more optimistic in our minds that what we can actually do. I mean we were supposed to have hover cars by now and instead we get a half assed Tesla.

But submitting to expecting people work far less than 40 hours a week won’t help our country from a competitive perspective. We need to work smarter and harder not less if we want to remaine a global leader. Have a generation getting stoned in their parents basement playing xbox and jerking off all day long is a damn sure good way to have our economy implode.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
The Rise Of The 4-Day Week https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0f5aba7da3d5a

I read this thinking this is what our productivity and wealth in the US should lead to or some variant.

Then I thought about every corporate bean counter blowing a gasket because employees are units to be financially managed like robots on an assembly line.

For those of you that never worked in corporate the huge buzz word for the last 7 years has been “Human Capital Management” or HCM for short. Entire product suites were designed to monitor where you as human capital (welcome back to feudal serfdom) stood in the corporate production machine.

I think it is one of the most dehumanizing terms ever institutionalized in modern America.
Not as dehumanizing as you expecting Mexicans to only be good to do your dirty work and put on a donkey show for you when you visit their country.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #21
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Aww, ghwk, I think someone likes you.

And they called it puppy love
Oh, I guess they'll never know
How a young heart really feels
And why I love him so…
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Coming to your lil friends defense Hougtam? How sweet.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #23
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Coming to your lil friends defense Hougtam? How sweet.
I was more hoping to see an episode of Love Connection.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #24
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

GHWK needs a sandwich, go make him one Houghty Pouty.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #25
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Not as dehumanizing as you expecting Mexicans to only be good to do your dirty work and put on a donkey show for you when you visit their country.
As Bronx33 would say, do you understand what you did wrong here? So far you’re failing everywhere you post