The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #76
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

His PFF score is above average. I get why people think he sucks. Holding penalties stand out, and he has a problem with that. But he’s not anywhere close to as bad some here ignorantly think.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl...t-bolles/11775
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #77
razorwire77
Great week of practice!!!

Leader of Men

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
His PFF score is above average. I get why people think he sucks. Holding penalties stand out, and he has a problem with that. But he’s not anywhere close to as bad some here ignorantly think.

Schlereth has made a pretty convincing argument to the contrary. He's been a decent run-blocker, but he's really struggled in pass protection. The fact that he appears to not be all that coach-able, has below average intelligence/processing abilities, and the fact that he is already an "old" 2nd year player are all highly concerning. I agree there are far bigger immediate concerns on this team, but moving forward I have serious doubts that he's the type of LT you want anchoring your line for 10 years.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #78
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Schlereth has made a pretty convincing argument to the contrary. He's been a decent run-blocker, but he's really struggled in pass protection. The fact that he appears to not be all that coach-able, has below average intelligence/processing abilities, and the fact that he is already an "old" 2nd year player are all highly concerning. I agree there are far bigger immediate concerns on this team, but moving forward I have serious doubts that he's the type of LT you want anchoring your line for 10 years.
He’s been much better than decent as a run-blocker, which is partly why his score is higher than many might suspect. Schlereth makes valid points, but he clouds it with over the top hysteria, such as claiming Boles wouldn’t be a starter if not for his draft status. Boles was a raw prospect due to coming to football at an older age, but he’s definitely seen gradual improvement that you’d hope despite the hysteria. Has he gotten where we’d want him bim to be? No, certainty not with pasblocking. But he’s improved over last season to above average status.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #79
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

The bottom line is he's not improving with this technique. he should not be starting.

as far as his intelligence, take that crap off the table. nobody's asking him to perform brain surgery.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #80
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
The bottom line is he's not improving with this technique. he should not be starting.
Wrong.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:21 PM   #81
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Wrong.
right on buddy I'll take Mark Schlereth's word over yours. when you win three super bowls playing guard on an offensive maybe I'll believe you.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:22 PM   #82
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
right on buddy I'll take Mark Schlereth's word over yours. when you win three super bowls playing guard on an offensive maybe I'll believe you.
I’ll take PFF over Schlereth. They grade every single play, which I can guarantee you Schlereth does not. You’re wrong.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:23 PM   #83
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I’ll take PFF over Schlereth. They grade every single play, which I can guarantee you Schlereth does not. You’re wrong.
I mean, seriously, you think one of our backup tackles should start over Boles? That’s ludicrous.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:24 PM   #84
razorwire77

Leader of Men

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
He’s been much better than decent as a run-blocker, which is partly why his score is higher than many might suspect. Schlereth makes valid points, but he clouds it with over the top hysteria, such as claiming Boles wouldn’t be a starter if not for his draft status. Boles was a raw prospect due to coming to football at an older age, but he’s definitely seen gradual improvement that you’d hope despite the hysteria. Has he gotten where we’d want him bim to be? No, certainty not with pasblocking. But he’s improved over last season to above average status.
This is a quality draft for left-tackles. Probably one of the better ones in years. Barring something extreme I think you evaluate Bolles as LT for the rest of the year, but it's far from a given that we're set there. I could see him kicking inside as a run mauler to make way for a guy like Jonah Williams.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #85
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
This is a quality draft for left-tackles. Probably one of the better ones in years. Barring something extreme I think you evaluate Bolles as LT for the rest of the year, but it's far from a given that we're set there. I could see him kicking inside as a run mauler to make way for a guy like Jonah Williams.
I certainly wouldn’t have an issue with shifting Boles to RT if we have the chance to take the right prospect. Let me make clear that I not claiming he’s a great tackle. I’m just saying he’s not close to as bad as many are claiming
Old 10-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #86
razorwire77

Leader of Men

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
I certainly wouldn’t have an issue with shifting Boles to RT if we have the chance to take the right prospect. Let me make clear that I not claiming he’s a great tackle. I’m just saying he’s not close to as bad as many are claiming
No doubt. QB, ILB, coaching, TE, DT are all much more immediate concerns. However both Learly and Veldheer are breaking down physically. Depending on how things play out taking a franchise LT in the 1st round and moving him seems like a real possibility.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #87
505bronco
Pro Bowler

ALL IN FOR MAYFIELD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Al Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
So how many pressures/sacks has Bolles given up? People act like a 1st round pick is a bust if he isn't a pro bowler by his second season.

The problem with this team isn't the OL/CBs and so on. Yes we could get better there but how many games did we win with Talib last year?

All of these issues are a distant second compared to the QB problem. Until Denver gets a real QB every single mistake by the CBs/DL/OL is going to be problematic and difficult to overcome.

We can take about a rebuild, drafting more OL, signing the best CB in free agency and so on but none of that is going to be worth a damn until we have a QB that can win on third downs and in the red zone.

We've got a top 10 run game, better WR talent, and better OL play this year yet all of that means nothing because Keenum is doing his best Siemian impersonation.
Fontain wins the internet today. This reply is spot on. Without a game changer at qb, all other areas look worse.
We have a legit OL, RBs, WRs, TE is iffy, but when the qb on 3rd down drops back and the timer hits 5secs and he hasn't thrown the ball yet, that's a real problem, or he throws for 4 yards needing 9. HUGE, HUGE problem...

Last edited by 505bronco; 10-09-2018 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: Spelling
505bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:03 PM   #88
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Boy, if there only was a play that a team can use when they dominate in running the ball, and they fake it to slow the rush and draw the LBers in.

Btw, Keenum was one of the best last year at play action pass. This year he has one of the lowest in play action attempts. Why? That is on the OC, not Keenum. Does it solve the OL problem? No, but it may will help the tackles hold thier blocks longer so Keenum can get away with a longer holding time.
Yeah, the whole thing is odd. Keenum did not have a problem with holding the ball too long they way he does this year. He was only sacked 22 times last year, whereas he’s already been sacked 13 times this year. So clearly the scheme/coaching/play calling has something to do with it. Because the Vikings O-line was certainly nothing special.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #89
jutang
Ring of Famer

I wish Bolles would stop holding and let the DE do their thing and begin the Kelly Era.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #90
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Yeah, the whole thing is odd. Keenum did not have a problem with holding the ball too long they way he does this year. He was only sacked 22 times last year, whereas he’s already been sacked 13 times this year. So clearly the scheme/coaching/play calling has something to do with it. Because the Vikings O-line was certainly nothing special.
Trevor Simeon seem to have the same problem.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:52 PM   #91
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Schlereth actually breaks down and shows where his technique is poor. Bolles has not improved on keeping his shoulders parallel to the LOS and turns too quick. Guess what this causes? Either you get your QB sacked or you hold. I see a correlation.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:53 PM   #92
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

PFF also said Karl Paymah was the best CB in the league one year.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #93
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Schlereth actually breaks down and shows where his technique is poor. Bolles has not improved on keeping his shoulders parallel to the LOS and turns too quick. Guess what this causes? Either you get your QB sacked or you hold. I see a correlation.
Wrong. Based on an every down grade, Boles is above average. Mark Schlereth isn’t reliable because there’s zero chance he’s trying to grade every down. He’s a cult of personality. And if you wanna claim that “hey, he’s a mutiple time all pro and so he knows talent” remember that the greatest Qb of all time (Elway) can’t successfully grade QBs. Being a great player does not mean you can accurately scout.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #94
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart

Still too early to pass judgement on bolles IMO... Booker yes as rb is an easy transition but LT not so much. Give him 1 more year to develop then cast judgment.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:00 PM   #95
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
He’s one of the top run blocking tackles in the league. That’s what you ignore. He’s not a great pass blocker for sure but he’s improved by any measure.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:02 PM   #96
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
the greatest Qb of all time (Elway) can’t successfully grade QBs. Being a great player does not mean you can accurately scout.
There isn't a person alive that has the formula to be right more often than not on QB. You don't think Schlereth can spot bad technique that Bolles continually shows or bad footwork? PFF is not fool proof as I already pointed out they said Paymah was the best CB in the league one year.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:03 PM   #97
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
He’s one of the top run blocking tackles in the league. That’s what you ignore. He’s not a great pass blocker for sure but he’s improved by any measure.
Which I why I have said why don't the Broncos give him help more? That is what good coaches do.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:05 PM   #98
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Which I why I have said why don't the Broncos give him help more? That is what good coaches do.
Okay, I definitely agree. Just combatting the “he sucks” folks. They’re laughably wrong.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #99
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Schlereth has made a pretty convincing argument to the contrary.
schlereth has never had a good word to say about a single broncos offensive lineman since he retired. he was a good player for us, but the dude is insecure as all ****.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #100
razorwire77

Leader of Men

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
schlereth has never had a good word to say about a single broncos offensive lineman since he retired. he was a good player for us, but the dude is insecure as all ****.
Probably because our oline has been mostly a revolving door dumpster fire for a long time. Watson, Schofield, Ryan Harris, the broken husk of Evan Marhis, Man Ram, Zane Beadles etc. etc.