The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #151
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Mile High No Fly

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post

Somebody will be disappointed if they pay Ray $6.5 - 7M.
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:58 PM   #152
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
We need to add some corners, all we have is Harris, Yiadom and ? but all three of them are excellent players.
Yeah, they need one.

I'd expect them to kick the tires on Kareem Jackson. He's not exactly young (31) but has been a reliable pro throughout his career and would be a good fit for Fangio's defense.

Callahan makes sense because of the connection to Fangio, but I could see him getting top dollar. I don't think DEN gets in on Darby ($, despite injuries), but I could see reclamation project like Darqueze Dennard coming into play. I also think Steven Nelson (KC) could be an option as well as Pierre Desir, but Indy has beaucoup bucks. A lot of teams in need of a CB have way more money than DEN.

Fangio had success in SF with Cox, Culliver, Bethea and rookie Eric Reid in the secondary in 2014. Those guys all had great seasons and by all means weren't great players. I am hopeful Fang and Donnatel can get things going in the right direction. I'd be all about getting a guy like Jackson (or even Nelson) and drafting someone and calling it good.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:28 PM   #153
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange crusher View Post
They’d be great additions but like others I would have concerns with not having a starting caliber corner included in the free agency haul.
Sign Roby to a 1 year deal 7-9 million
sgbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #154
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Mile High No Fly

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post
No thanks! They can do better for that much $.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:45 PM   #155
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
No thanks! They can do better for that much $.
I don't know. Roby might get better under Fangio and Donatell.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #156
-Rod-
#TeamBroncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Why

Quote:
Somebody will be disappointed if they pay Ray $6.5 - 7M.
I think Ray's contract will be closer to Brooks Reed's 1-year, $2 million than this $7 million nonsense. No one in his right mind would pay that for an injury-prone edge rusher with 26 tackles and 2.0 sacks in the last 2 seasons combined.
-Rod- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #157
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Mile High No Fly

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat

Quote:
Maybe he will get better but I still don’t think they should pay a guy that has been marginal at best $7-9M hoping that he’ll be better because of a coaching change. Performing poorly in a contract year doesn’t normally bode well for future performance. I would guess they could possibly land Callahan for that kind of money.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:19 PM   #158
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Mile High No Fly

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
I think Ray's contract will be closer to Brooks Reed's 1-year, $2 million than this $7 million nonsense. No one in his right mind would pay that for an injury-prone edge rusher with 26 tackles and 2.0 sacks in the last 2 seasons combined.
Yeah, I agree.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #159
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Maybe he will get better but I still don’t think they should pay a guy that has been marginal at best $7-9M hoping that he’ll be better because of a coaching change. Performing poorly in a contract year doesn’t normally bode well for future performance. I would guess they could possibly land Callahan for that kind of money.
Maybe the number is 6 million, but he's a starting CB that has all the potential in the world. I'd like to see how he does with a better coaching staff, and wouldn't be opposed to bringing Callahan in as well. I don't think they will be able to get an impact corner in the draft since I think they will go QB in round 1.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:25 PM   #160
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
Reed is 31 and Ray is 25. Ray will get more money due to age and potential.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #161
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Reed is 31 and Ray is 25. Ray will get more money due to age and potential.
Ray's value was shown at the trade deadline this year.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #162
pricejj
jungle

Ray would take $2.5M to play for KC, I bet.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:45 PM   #163
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
NOPE.
socalorado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #164
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, how many years does it take to get better? Keesum gonna get better next year. Just wait.
Roby had his chance to shine in a contract year last year. He blew it. And he quit on the team. Take a hike.
socalorado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:51 PM   #165
pricejj
jungle

Give CHJ a raise and an extension, sign Callahan, Amos, and Mosley. See if Paradis is healthy or not.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #166
-Rod-
#TeamBroncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Why

I'm not counting on Mosley because I can't see the Ravens letting him go. They will use the franchise tag on him if they need more time to negotiate his contract.

Todd Davis must have had an underrated season because he finished with more tackles, more pass deflections and as many interceptions [1] and sacks [0.5] as Mosley. We just need a coaching staff that won't expose Davis so much in coverage, like leaving him 1-on-1 against Sammy Watkins without calling a timeout.
-Rod- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:30 AM   #167
TheCoachBear
College Coach

Scout

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Janovich

Quote:
I do wonder this. Although one of the podcasts covering the broncos has stated Roby was an issue in the locker room last year so it might be hard to keep him regardless.
TheCoachBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:43 AM   #168
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Ray's value was shown at the trade deadline this year.
I wouldn't read to much into that. Teams rarely make in season trades and Ray will get more looks after teams get a chance to give him a physical and sit down with him. Pass rushers are always in demand.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:37 AM   #169
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
What do No. 3 corners make. That is what he is worth nothing more.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:38 AM   #170
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Maybe the number is 6 million, but he's a starting CB that has all the potential in the world. I'd like to see how he does with a better coaching staff, and wouldn't be opposed to bringing Callahan in as well. I don't think they will be able to get an impact corner in the draft since I think they will go QB in round 1.
At his point in his career, the word potential should not be used. He is what he is and we don't have to crown him.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:41 AM   #171
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I wouldn't read to much into that. Teams rarely make in season trades and Ray will get more looks after teams get a chance to give him a physical and sit down with him. Pass rushers are always in demand.
Ray has no trade value because he is destined for the waiver wire. Why would anybody do that for a backup special teams player.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:24 AM   #172
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Broncos GM (God's Masterpiece)

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

One guy with a Fangio connection that I haven't seen anybody mention is Jimmie Ward. He would come relatively cheap and could be a solid starter. If we cant afford to sign Callahan I wouldn't mind Ward.
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:35 AM   #173
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo15 View Post
One guy with a Fangio connection that I haven't seen anybody mention is Jimmie Ward. He would come relatively cheap and could be a solid starter. If we cant afford to sign Callahan I wouldn't mind Ward.
That's a good one. Ward's been a bit of an underachiever, right? Former first rounder. Hybrid type corner/safety? With Parks and Simmons that's alot of versatility.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49...-most-intrigue

"DB Jimmie Ward: If you think Ward’s window with the 49ers is closed after another injury-plagued season, you would be wrong.

The 49ers’ coaching staff likes a lot of things about Ward, including his versatility and his penchant for playing hard. The coaching staff felt like Ward was the team’s best defensive player just prior to his latest season-ending injury.

But, of course, there are other things to consider. The front office will keep the bottom line in mind. After all, it is difficult to devote a sizable contract to a player who has gone on injured reserve in four of his five NFL seasons due to broken bones.

A first-round pick in 2014, Ward played last season on the fifth-year option for $8.526 million.

How other teams view Ward – and if any team is willing to give him more than a one-year, prove-it contract – will likely determine whether Ward is back next season with the 49ers."
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #174
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
They could have traded nothing for him and got half a season to judge him. Instead they see the film and see he is a JAG pass rusher and undisciplined in the run game. Wade who knows him well didnt even sniff Ray. Ray is so overrated by Bronco fans.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #175
Allen C
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Julian Love or Amani Oruwariye at #41
Allen C is offline   Reply With Quote