The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #26
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
First, when drinking whiskey, everything makes sense. Damn, I'm out. I may need to make a run to the store.

I've been watching a lot of tutorials on youtube, but then I got a great tip at one of the camera club meetings. A guy who is a videographer mentioned that with a public library card number, you can access Lynda.com tutorial videos for free. I haven't used Lynda.com in a few years, and I wasn't aware of this deal. Well it works! So I'm starting to get better info from there. You're right about youtube. It's a mixed bag. Some great stuff, some bad stuff. Watching the really good stuff is helpful and shows that in some ways it's like photography. Getting the right angles instead of pointing and shooting makes a big difference.
My wife's the family photographer and she's always picking and pointing out things the cinematographer has done or tried to do that shlubs like me don't bother to notice. She has a real eye for it, even though she's mostly only worked on the photography side. Obviously there's a lot of crossover between the two. At least until you get to the audio, like you're saying.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #27
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
My wife's the family photographer and she's always picking and pointing out things the cinematographer has done or tried to do that shlubs like me don't bother to notice. She has a real eye for it, even though she's mostly only worked on the photography side. Obviously there's a lot of crossover between the two. At least until you get to the audio, like you're saying.
Yep. Before a month ago, I don't think that I had ever heard of B-roll footage. Now I'm noticing it when I watch TV shows and a lot of the good social media videos.

For the time being I'm going to focus on getting footage and editing. I just got Adobe Premiere and I need to learn how to use it. I'm going to play around with that this weekend. I'm going to have to tackle sound in the near future.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #28
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

I wish Pez would come back and post.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #29
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Get an iPhone.
It took me forever to convince my wife that our new iphones had better resolution than our stupid digital camera.

Broads don't understand tech like us dudes do. I think it has something to do with being born without a dingus.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:37 PM   #30
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
It took me forever to convince my wife that our new iphones had better resolution than our stupid digital camera.

Broads don't understand tech like us dudes do. I think it has something to do with being born without a dingus.
Technical resolution (at least in modern devices) is one of the least important factors to actual image quality.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #31
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

Thanks guys. My iphone does seem to take some decent pictures. My only issue is when I want to use one as a wallpaper on my laptop they don't look that great. Maybe some software can clean them up a bit.
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:42 PM   #32
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

DJ Kranz spinning tunes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joesy Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Technical resolution (at least in modern devices) is one of the least important factors to actual image quality.
Our Digital camera is over 15 years old. I can't tell the difference between our Iphones and the dedicated camera plus the zoom is better and you can do more with the pictures than our old camera.

Not spending over $500 on something we dig out twice a year.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:08 AM   #33
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Our Digital camera is over 15 years old. I can't tell the difference between our Iphones and the dedicated camera plus the zoom is better and you can do more with the pictures than our old camera.

Not spending over $500 on something we dig out twice a year.
Well I wouldn't call a 15-year old digital camera "modern" Those were the 3MP days.

But a 5 year old T3i is going to blow away even a 20MP cell phone camera in pretty much every way. Even with a cheapie 50mm fixed lens. It doesn't have to win on resolution. With cell-phone quality optics, raising the resolution is mostly gimmicky, although I guess it might help digital zoom not look as terrible.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:15 AM   #34
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy View Post
Thanks guys. My iphone does seem to take some decent pictures. My only issue is when I want to use one as a wallpaper on my laptop they don't look that great. Maybe some software can clean them up a bit.
Crap optics need great lighting. Shooting in the best light possible will be the biggest improvement you can make.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #35
Guess Who
Yeti Pubes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I'm in Stormy

Where is that telegraph thread I started?
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #36
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart

Use a cell phone and get 95% of the quality for what you already paid for.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #37
Enter The Dragon
Still Not A Playa

Football Jesus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shane MF Ray!

I have a Nikon dslr, a mono pod and a tripod. What lens is the best for capturing his football games?
Enter The Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:24 PM   #38
huh??
Back in the 5280!

...pretty good at lurking.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter The Dragon View Post
I have a Nikon dslr, a mono pod and a tripod. What lens is the best for capturing his football games?
"The Best" for Nikon would probably be something like this one:

It's a 400mm/f2.8. The current version of it is being sold on B&H for $11,200. new. If you can stomach a lens for less than "the best", there's some options here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...rch=yes&sts=ps

The problem is, the NFL doesn't allow these types of lenses in the stadiums. I have seen some people sneaking in some bigger lenses, but I have no idea where they stashed them. I doubt they had media-type credentials, because they were up in Thunder Country (500's level) with me.
huh?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #39
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by huh?? View Post
"The Best" for Nikon would probably be something like this one:

It's a 400mm/f2.8. The current version of it is being sold on B&H for $11,200. new. If you can stomach a lens for less than "the best", there's some options here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...rch=yes&sts=ps

The problem is, the NFL doesn't allow these types of lenses in the stadiums. I have seen some people sneaking in some bigger lenses, but I have no idea where they stashed them. I doubt they had media-type credentials, because they were up in Thunder Country (500's level) with me.
For people who make a living doing sports photography, yes, this is the lens to get. I've shot with a 400 many times, and it's really awesome. I don't own one though because I don't do sports photography full time. I get by fine with a 70-200 2.8. You can probably sneak that into the stands, but I don't think you'll get great shots from that far away. Maybe in basketball if you're not up too high. But at a high school or youth game, where you can get on the sidelines, the 70-200 will get mostly what you need.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #40
Enter The Dragon
Still Not A Playa

Football Jesus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shane MF Ray!

Quote:
For people who make a living doing sports photography, yes, this is the lens to get. I've shot with a 400 many times, and it's really awesome. I don't own one though because I don't do sports photography full time. I get by fine with a 70-200 2.8. You can probably sneak that into the stands, but I don't think you'll get great shots from that far away. Maybe in basketball if you're not up too high. But at a high school or youth game, where you can get on the sidelines, the 70-200 will get mostly what you need.
Thanks. It's for hs games, but dont seem to get close ups like we want and dont have 12 grand for the beast lens. How much for a 70-200? 1200?
Enter The Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #41
huh??
Back in the 5280!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Yeah, I used a broader example of, "The Best" as was asked, but that's why I added the link for 70-200s from a few manufacturers. For high school basketball and volleyball, I've seen a lot of recommendations for a 85mm/f1.8 with a crop sensor.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #42
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Thanks. It's for hs games, but dont seem to get close ups like we want and dont have 12 grand for the beast lens. How much for a 70-200? 1200?
I'm not too familiar with Nikon equipment. According to the link, you're looking at $2700 or $3900. Or the Sigma or Tamron for $1200. You'll need a f/2.8 lens. I'm assuming that you'll be shooting high school games at night, and the typical high school lights are pretty bad.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #43
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh?? View Post
Yeah, I used a broader example of, "The Best" as was asked, but that's why I added the link for 70-200s from a few manufacturers. For high school basketball and volleyball, I've seen a lot of recommendations for a 85mm/f1.8 with a crop sensor.
When shooting basketball, I'll use either the 24-70 or the 70-200. I usually take both.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:50 PM   #44
huh??
Back in the 5280!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
When shooting basketball, I'll use either the 24-70 or the 70-200. I usually take both.
Nice! I can't keep the images clean when pushing higher ISOs, so having f1.8 in a prime would help me. (Constant budget issues...)
Old 05-20-2018, 11:09 PM   #45
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Polaroids only. Sorry fam. Throw that iphone in a volcano.

Draft Picks:

Round 1: 5th overall - Quenton Nelson, G - Notre Dame
Round 2: 24th overall - Ronald Jones, RB - USC
Round 3: 74th overall - Jamarco Jones, OT - Ohio State
Round 4: 109th overall - Jeff Holland, OLB/PRS - Auburn
Round 4: 128th overall - JC Jackson, CB - Maryland
Round 5: 161st overall - Tegray Scales, LB - Indiana
Round 5: 163rd overall - Jaleel Scott, WR - New Mexico State
Round 6: 182nd overall - Durham Smythe, TE - Notre Dame
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote