The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #26
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

CIA's budget is probably around $15bil, which would be less than 1/10th of 1% of GDP.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.7c775300b93b

It's grown. But not enough to really move the needle, even if you decide to suddenly start including it in 'military spending'
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:15 PM   #27
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
wow, that graph is depressing
Yes it is! We’ve been living in a war economy since 1940. That’s even before my 72 year old dad was born. That’s all we’ve known so it’s no surprise it makes us go “meh.”

It’s not our job to police the world. Ironically, we spend all that money to make the world less safe and create more chaos. (Like the war on drugs, but that’s another thread)

Is all the excessive military spending “paved with good intentions”, or are we just simply lining the Military Industrial Complex’s pockets? Either way it’s a waste.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #28
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Beavis successfully derails another thread.

Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #29
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart

I suggest everyone google katee Owens gifs. You will be happy if you get the right ones.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #30
Guess Who
Yeti Pubes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I'm in Stormy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
I suggest everyone google katee Owens gifs. You will be happy if you get the right ones.
she is ok

Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:31 PM   #31
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

The Ruinously Expensive American Military

Pay and benefits are out of control

By Philip Giraldi

May 17, 2018 "Information Clearing House" - America’s Republican politicians complain that “entitlements,” by which they mean pensions and medical care, are leading the country to bankruptcy even as they fatten the spending on the Pentagon, which now takes 12 percent of the overall budget. And it should be noted that while workers contribute to the social programs during all their years of employment, the money that goes to the military comes straight out of the pockets of taxpayers before being wasted in ways that scarcely benefit the average citizen unless one seriously thinks that folks over in Syria, Iran and Afghanistan actually do threaten the survival of the United States of America.

I was in a Virginia supermarket the other day checking out when the woman behind the cash register in a perky voice asked me “Will you give $5 to support our troops?” I responded “No. Our troops already get way too much of our money.” She replied, “Hee, hee that’s a funny joke” and I said “It’s not a joke.” Her face dropped and she signaled to her boss over in customer service and asked her to take over, saying that I had been rude.

If there is any group in the United States that exceeds the sheer greed of our politicians it is the military, which believes itself to be “entitled” as a consequence of its role in the global war on terror. I am a veteran who began service in a largely draftee army in which we were paid “twenty-one dollars a day once a month” as the old World War 2 song goes. When we got out, the GI Bill gave us $175 a month to go back to college, which did not cover much.

Today’s United States has 2,083,000 soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen on active duty plus reserves. Now that the military is an all-volunteer rather than a conscript force, it is understandable that pay and benefits should be close to or equivalent to civilian pay scales. Currently, a sergeant first class with 10 years in service gets paid $3968 a month. A captain with ten years gets $6271. That amounts to $47,616 and $75,252 a year respectively plus healthcare, food, housing, cost of living increases and bonuses to include combat pay.

Though there are several options for retirement, generally speaking a soldier, sailor Marine or airman can retire after 20 years with half of his or her final “high three” pay as a pension, which means an 18-year-old who enlists right out of high school will be 38 and if he or she makes sergeant first class (E-7) he or she will be collecting $2338 a month or more for a rest of his or her life adjusted for cost of living,

Many Americans would be astonished at the pensions that general officers and admirals receive, particularly since 80% of them also land in “retirement” generously remunerated positions with defense contractors either in active positions soliciting new contracts from their former peers or sitting on boards. General David Petraeus, whom The Nation describes as the “general who lost two wars,” pulls in a pension of $220,000 even though he was forced to resign as CIA Director due to passing classified information to his mistress. He is also chairman of a New York City based company KKR Global, which is part of a private equity firm Kohlberg, Kravis Roberts. He reportedly is paid in six figures plus bonuses for “oversee[ing] the institute’s thought leadership platform focused on geopolitical and macro-economic trends, as well as environmental, social, and governance issues.”

It apparently is difficult to take money away from general and flag officers. An Air Force four-star general named Arthur Lichte was reduced in rank to a two-star in 2017 after he was found guilty of having raped a lower ranking woman officer. His pension went down from $216,000 to $156,000 due to the reduction. Normally, however, America’s 1,000 general and flag officers can look forward to comfortable retirements.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/49448.htm
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #32
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
she is ok

Get the ones without the top and bottoms... she’s yummy IMO
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:40 AM   #33
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

House Republicans failed to pass the $867-billion farm bill that would have imposed strict work requirements for people who receive food stamps.

Another defeat for Trump in Congress as GOP infighting scuttles farm bill

The unraveling of the farm measure on the House floor was an embarrassment for GOP leaders, who had expressed confidence that they could pass the…
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:07 AM   #34
Guess Who
Yeti Pubes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I'm in Stormy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
Get the ones without the top and bottoms... she’s yummy IMO
she is cute
Old 05-19-2018, 05:10 AM   #35
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Sophist super hero Captain Deflection to the rescue!
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:11 AM   #36
Guess Who
Yeti Pubes

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I'm in Stormy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
House Republicans failed to pass the $867-billion farm bill that would have imposed strict work requirements for people who receive food stamps.

Another defeat for Trump in Congress as GOP infighting scuttles farm bill

The unraveling of the farm measure on the House floor was an embarrassment for GOP leaders, who had expressed confidence that they could pass the…
Those farm bills are nothing but big corporate giveaways. Ironic it dies because they also want to take from the poor.........

You hear that? something is coming our way and it sounds like a f#cking jet engine.