The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #32
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Is It Draft Day Yet?

WITH THE 248TH SELECTION IN THE 2014 NFL DRAFT,
THE CINCINNATI BENGALS SELECT:

S VINNIE SUNSERI, ALABAMA

"I had an All-American year this year before I got hurt. I was a midseason All-American, I had great film.
All I could do is come back to another year and reimplement that, have another All-American year.
I just thought that I did enough this year to prove to professional teams
and prove to coaches that I was ready to take that next step
."

Short but Sweet.

COLLEGIATE PRODUCTION:
2011 (Freshman): 30 Tackles, 1 Pass Defended, 1 Forced Fumble
2012 (Sophomore): 54 Tackles, 6 Stuffs, 2 Sacks, 2 Interceptions, 3 Passes Defended.
2013 (Junior): (7 Games) 20 Tackles, 1 Stuff, 2 Interceptions, 4 Passes Defended.

COMBINE/PRO DAY MEASUREMENTS:

Size: 5'11, 210lbs. 30 Inch Arms, 10 Inch Hands.
40 Time: 4.48
225 Reps: 21

WHAT OTHERS SAY ABOUT SUNSERI:

"STRENGTHS: A virtual coach on the field. Highly instinctive defender who frequently points out formations, alerting teammates to potential play-calls.

Gritty. Attacks the line of scrimmage in run support, showing no hesitation to throw his body into the pile. Effective special teams player. Physical tackler who wraps his arms and brings his hips upon contact.

Alert in coverage. Keeps his eyes focused the quarterback and isn't afraid to jump routes. Good ball skills. Extends to pluck and has reliable hands."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...vinnie-sunseri

"By all accounts, Sunseri offered up an impressive performance for the NFL scouts in attendance, running unofficial 40-yard dash times of 4.48 and 4.52, showing strength in his knee during agility drills and bench pressing 225 pounds 21 times. This just five months and 20 days after his injury."

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...news/140409667

"A freshman season in which he found a niche as a hard hitter on special teams, a sophomore season in which he emerged as a reliable starter and an All-American-worthy first half to his junior year was viewed as sufficient.

"I had great film," said Sunseri, a projected fourth- or fifth-round pick. "All I could do is come back to another year and reimplement that, have another All-American year. I just thought that I did enough this year to prove to professional teams and prove to coaches that I was ready to take that next step."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/in...ion_to_go.html

WHY HE WAS DRAFTED AND HOW THE BENGALS WILL USE HIM:

Why:
Sunseri is a throwback player. He's tough as nails, as relentless as you can get, he has supernatural healing capability apparently, and he's a team leader that is also a student of the game. His dad is a coach as FSU. He's already one of the best special teams players in the country on coverage. He's a coach on the field at Safety, calling out plays and making his teammates get better. He's a big play guy with the ball in his hands, make two nice interception returns for touchdowns before he got hurt this past season. The one against Texas AM, in the video above, is epic. Manziel is still looking for his jock strap. Has excellent athleticism, strength, and incredible instincts. Was on track for a big Senior season before the injury.

Usage:
He'll primarily be a special teams demon at first while providing depth at Safety. He's scheme diverse in that he can play any Safety position, so we'll have an open competition each season letting the best man win. Reggie Nelson is in his 30s now and likely won't be retained following the expiration of his contract. A future Safety trio of George Iloka, Vinnie Sunseri, and Shawn Wiliams sounds good to me.

Rohirrim and the St. Louis Rams are now on the clock. Pick was made at 2:02 EST.

Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 04-18-2014 at 06:16 PM..
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: