The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #101
Zerovoltz
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

....clearly I am a biased Chiefs fan...so right away, anything I might have to say is met with ridicule and disdain..that's fine...I'll quote some guys whose opinions you probably respect quite a bit more than mine.

Von Miller - He came out and made some great throws, He’s a rookie, still, and got out there and played lights out. We had some ones out there and he still came through and played. Hats off to Mahomes."

“He’s going to be the quarterback of the future. He’s going to be a great quarterback. He has great scramble ability. He can scramble and throw the ball. He’s going to be a great quarterback.”

Aqib Talib - “I saw enough of Patrick Mahomes to think Alex Smith is going to be a free agent next year,” “That guy can play some ball. That guy can play some ball. He’s smart. I saw him checking protections, I saw him reading the defense. We know how strong his arm is. The guy is a competitor. I think Alex Smith, he definitely might be on the market this year.

“The guy (Mahomes) got an AK-47 for an arm. He can throw it wherever he wants. It doesn’t matter if he’s running left or right. He’s got a gun for an arm and it shows on the field.”

Or...mabye take a look at this breakdown. Baldy does these all year long for a lot of players and teams...pretty good stuff.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/baldys-bre...fs-Film-Review
Zerovoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #102
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #103
GreatBronco16
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Would a mod please change his name to Pat Mahomo please. Can't let the Browns out do us here.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:43 PM   #104
BroncoBuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerovoltz View Post
Yeah...I know alot of Broncos fans who can't wait for Keenum to fail so they can try again in the draft.
Well, I can tell you, in all honesty, that I'd rather have Keenum than Mahomes. At least for the next two years.

I've never been bowled over by QBs from Tech or Wazoo with their big college numbers ... few people are. Bet you didn't know that Case Keenum is the all-time leading passer in college football history.

But hey ... did you know Shane Ray has a tattoo of a Chiefs logo? How about a trade: Ray and a 4th rounder for Eric Fisher. Man, you gotta have that tattoo!

BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #105
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Mahablo for the win.

Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #106
Zerovoltz
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Well, I can tell you, in all honesty, that I'd rather have Keenum than Mahomes. At least for the next two years.

I've never been bowled over by QBs from Tech or Wazoo with their big college numbers ... few people are. Bet you didn't know that Case Keenum is the all-time leading passer in college football history.

But hey ... did you know Shane Ray has a tattoo of a Chiefs logo? How about a trade: Ray and a 4th rounder for Eric Fisher. Man, you gotta have that tattoo!

....We in KC would welcome Shane Ray....but are you really sure you want Eric Fisher? I know you all have had some major issues along your O line...but Fisher FINALLY just had a season where I would say he was "Adequate". Maybe he can step up to "Average" this year? .....at any rate...we don't have any depth behind him otherwise I'd be all in on this deal..but Fisher is all we have there...on the other hand, due to FA and draft we have numbers at edge.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #107
BroncoBuff

Quote:
....We in KC would welcome Shane Ray....but are you really sure you want Eric Fisher? I know you all have had some major issues along your O line...but Fisher FINALLY just had a season where I would say he was "Adequate". Maybe he can step up to "Average" this year? .....at any rate...we don't have any depth behind him otherwise I'd be all in on this deal..but Fisher is all we have there...on the other hand, due to FA and draft we have numbers at edge.
I thought Fisher was a little better than that ... but tell me, after playing what, 3 games, you're all in on Mahomes is better than a top-5 finisher for OPOY ? And you invoke the name of Elway in a roundabout comparison?

Kinda gotta bend reality to get where you are ....
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #108
Big Cheeze
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
For years we had to watch John Elway break our hearts. We may have had some great teams over the years, but never the better QB. You got Manning and it continued on for a while longer.

That's over now. Going to be fun watching this next decade plus as your team is led by marginally ok veterans who aren't difference makers while the Chiefs are contenders every year for the next 15 seasons.

You're going to love going 10-6 or so and losing in the playoffs every year, then not being in position when the major QB prospect here and there is available at the top of the draft. You've already gotten a taste of it with Lynch. And you'll all love Keenum until he can't carry the team when it matters.

We FINALY have the the generational talent at QB we've been missing all these years.

Your turn to suffer Denver. (and in the back of your mind, you know I'm right)
Isn't this the same rhetoric you fans were spouting about Croyle years back?
Big Cheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:27 PM   #109
WoodMan
Ring of Famer

I haven't seen Chiefs fans this excited about a quarterback since they picked up Alex Smith. He did win them a couple of division titles, but then they fielded a decent defense when he was there. They have certainly regressed on the defensive side this off season. I am not expecting much from them this year. I guess they are excited about Mahomes, Fake Gronk and Reek, can't blame them. They were excited about Trint, Priest, Larry Johnson and a many others. How'd that work out Chiefs fans. 48 years and counting.
WoodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #110
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

The Chief's haven't been massive failures for the last half-century because they never had a QB. They've sucked because they've never had the front office needed to build a consistent contender.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:49 PM   #111
Zerovoltz
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I thought Fisher was a little better than that ... but tell me, after playing what, 3 games, you're all in on Mahomes is better than a top-5 finisher for OPOY ? And you invoke the name of Elway in a roundabout comparison?

Kinda gotta bend reality to get where you are ....
BroncoBuff (and others) ...I have been a Chiefs fan since I was kid...started paying attention in about 1986. I have seen a LONG Parade of game manager QBs come through here. I was happy with 2 of them and exicted for 1. Steve DeBerg was brought in when Marty got here in 89 and was a big part of getting the franchise up off the mat. It was very exciting when Montana came of course, and after a slow start, Trent Green turned out ok for a while, though he had A LOT of weapons and a great O line in front of him. Other than that...I have watched this team trot out Steve Bono and Matt Cassel among others...I was pissed the day we signed Cassel especially....having just signed up Scott Pioli and hiring Todd Haley (a coach who had shown he liked going downfield with the ball) I thought we'd try and draft a guy and get rolling.

All you needed to know and understand about Matt Cassel was by looking at his game tape and seeing that he couldn't make good use of Randy Moss in New England. Cassel has to wind up to throw downfield more than 15 yards and the ball sails and wobbles when he does/did. ...anyhow, you don't need my analyis of Matt Cassel...but point is...I spent that entire era from day one, arguing with fellow Chiefs fans that we were doomed with Cassel...and it got worse after the Chiefs went 10-6 and won the division with the absolute easiest schedule in the leauge that year, and several special teams miracles etc.

The main point is, I have A LOT of experience watching what a game manager QB does. The best of them, protect the football and don't make poor decisions...and can even make a play here or there. Alex Smith is the ultimate game manager. He just isn't going to make bad turnover or risk anything at all that would lose a game. Matt Cassel or Steve Bono would be several steps below that...capable enough only to line up under center, hand off to Jamal Charles or Marcus Allen, or Priest Holmes..and then execute the simplest of pass plays on an as needed basis.

It's only my opinion...and I wouldn't be in here talking all this S**T if we had Smith still or had just drafted Jake Allen or Sam Darnold etc. I have seen enough of Mahomes to conclude he is different and he is special, and the Chiefs are going to be very very good this year. I also understand most Chiefs fans at the beginning of every new era...wanting to proclaim the greatness that is about to overtake the NFL.....I admit...this is a struggle even within the Chiefs fan base...50% of us are totally still pissed we traded Alex Smith...and it goes on backward from there...it took a good while before most would finally conclude Matt Cassel sucked. Marty Schottenhiemer taught this fan base that you can win A LOT of regular season NFL games by simply playing good defense and that good QB play consisted of not making mistakes and costing the team a game.

If you go down the list of QB's the Chiefs have lost to in the playoffs since 1990, you could build an entire wing of the Hall of Fame and put almost all of them in it. Elway, Kelly, Marino, Manning, Brady, Roethlisberger. Some of them more than once. Many of us have been hoping that at some point, the circumstances would come around that would bring about us drafting someone they thought would be a franchise type. ....and that happend last year....Just because we finally drafted a QB in the first round, doesn't or didn't mean we could just anoint the guy as the savior...we all know that draft picks fail all the time...QB's don't always work out like you thought or hoped. I can read a scouting report as well as you can (yes, I can READ!) ...and I could see the footwork issues, and the fact Mahomes never took a snap under center as being concerns....It's what's happend since he was drafted that has me (and many others fans, pundits, coaches, players) excited. Finally, they are actually daring to be great by risking a draft pick failure.

So....I can't blame anyone for being skeptical. It's just one fans opinion....and I don't hide that I acknowledge the long standing, winning tradition of the Broncos...(which started with a QB who is a hall of famer, drafted 1st overall, and continued, by a hall of fame QB who was drafted 1st overall) We hate you because we want to have what you've had...we hate Elway because he was great when it counted and broke our hearts.

To sum it up again. That is over now. You are into veteran journeyman QB mode medicority, and we are about to embark on sustained greatness like you experienced, for a long time.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:53 PM   #112
WakeUpCall
DIAF Aholes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
Let me tell you a story. When the Broncos picked up the aging legend in Peyton Manning, they actually delivered and won a Super Bowl, unlike the Chiefs who failed with perhaps an even greater quarterback in Joe Montana. The reason being, it's a culture thing, winning is the culture in Denver, losing is the culture in Kansas City, that's the fundamental difference here. When John Elway promised Manning a ring, he believed that promise and John delivered with a historic defense, when Kansas City tried to field a similar offer with perhaps a more talented roster at the time, the guy simply left the building, why? Because there wasn't a winning foundation. Forgive us for not taking your BS seriously, as my 30 some odd years of football experience, and the collective experience of those you're trying to argue with, simply won't let us concieve a winning culture in KC regardless of the circumstances, because there isn't any evidence to the contrary to back it up. You've got a talented kid playing QB, we'll see how bad your organization can **** it up, because frankly that's what we're all expecting.
As a Chiefs fan I have to admit, that's hard to argue. The Chiefs always find a way to break our hearts, even if it's their standing in the league that results in being f'd-over with a forward progress ruling in a situation where the rule doesn't apply.
WakeUpCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #113
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
It's only my opinion...and I wouldn't be in here talking all this S**T if we had Smith still or had just drafted Jake Allen or Sam Darnold etc. I have seen enough of Mahomes to conclude he is different and he is special, and the Chiefs are going to be very very good this year. I also understand most Chiefs fans at the beginning of every new era...wanting to proclaim the greatness that is about to overtake the NFL.....I admit...this is a struggle even within the Chiefs fan base...50% of us are totally still pissed we traded Alex Smith...
Who is "Jake Allen"?
Old 05-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #114
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Who is "Jake Allen"?

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #115
69bronco
Ring of Famer

Kcsheepstud get a new account?
69bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #116
Doggcow
Shibas

So Happ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I feel like I missed Mahomes starting in a Pro bowl or something.
Starting period? Lol
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:42 PM   #117
Omnipicus
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
The Chief's haven't been massive failures for the last half-century because they never had a QB. They've sucked because they've never had the front office needed to build a consistent contender.
The Chiefs have been in the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years. Funny how they were winning playoff games with a great QB in Joe Montana and haven’t done that since he left.

Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac, Matt Cassel, Damon Huard, Alex Smith. All the same guy. We

But again please tell me how the QB doesn’t matter when the QB representing the AFC in the Super Bowl has been Manning, Brady or Big Ben 14 of the last 15 years.
Omnipicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:22 PM   #118
Zerovoltz
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnipicus View Post
The Chiefs have been in the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years. Funny how they were winning playoff games with a great QB in Joe Montana and haven’t done that since he left.

Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac, Matt Cassel, Damon Huard, Alex Smith. All the same guy. We

But again please tell me how the QB doesn’t matter when the QB representing the AFC in the Super Bowl has been Manning, Brady or Big Ben 14 of the last 15 years.
^^^This. Also...The Broncos "Culture of Winning" happend to coincide with being led by TWO 1st overall drafted QB's who are hall of fame bound. KC never built a "Culture of Winning" because other than trading for end of career Joe Montana, we've never had a QB that lifts up the players around him...we've always had a QB that needed the roster around him to lift up the QB. Not a good formula for winning titles.

The thing about all this is....you need look no further than the Case Keenum thread here on this forum...looks like Broncos fans aren't completely blind. You can see what's coming with Keenum....you'll see soon enough about Mahomes.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #119
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
For this audience, I suppose it is worth adding that the coaches and his teamates love him. He isn't a d**k
Who cares? Having physical tools doesn't mean a guy will be great. It doesn't even mean he will be good. Cool your jets dimwit.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 05-06-2018 at 10:55 PM..
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:55 PM   #120
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
....clearly I am a biased Chiefs fan...so right away, anything I might have to say is met with ridicule and disdain..that's fine...I'll quote some guys whose opinions you probably respect quite a bit more than mine.

Von Miller - He came out and made some great throws, He’s a rookie, still, and got out there and played lights out. We had some ones out there and he still came through and played. Hats off to Mahomes."

“He’s going to be the quarterback of the future. He’s going to be a great quarterback. He has great scramble ability. He can scramble and throw the ball. He’s going to be a great quarterback.”

Aqib Talib - “I saw enough of Patrick Mahomes to think Alex Smith is going to be a free agent next year,” “That guy can play some ball. That guy can play some ball. He’s smart. I saw him checking protections, I saw him reading the defense. We know how strong his arm is. The guy is a competitor. I think Alex Smith, he definitely might be on the market this year.

“The guy (Mahomes) got an AK-47 for an arm. He can throw it wherever he wants. It doesn’t matter if he’s running left or right. He’s got a gun for an arm and it shows on the field.”

Or...mabye take a look at this breakdown. Baldy does these all year long for a lot of players and teams...pretty good stuff.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/baldys-bre...fs-Film-Review
No one is arguing Mahomes doesn't have talent. There's a million miles between "has talent" and "is a great QB" though. Time will tell if he makes the journey. So far he simply hasn't done jack ****. That's a fact.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:35 PM   #121
Zerovoltz
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Who cares? Having physical tools doesn't mean a guy will be great. It doesn't even mean he will be good. Cool your jets dimwit.
Have you read the "Welcome Bradley Chubb" thread here?

I'm not here to tell you freshly drafted Pat Mahomes is going to be awesome..I am here to tell you that the guy who Von Miller and Aqib Talib says will be awesome...will be awesome.

The guy getting alot of run from other coaches and players after he's been on an NFL roster and through a season of practices, and some game time....will be awesome...

And...the guy Andy Reid moved on from Alex Smith so he could make him the starter...that guy is who I am telling you is going to be awesome.

According to the crowd here, the one qualifier that Mahomes is missing is apparently a spot on your roster.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:43 PM   #122
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnipicus View Post

Did the words 'half century" catch your attention?

I'm not talking about what they did the last few years.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:49 PM   #123
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Have you read the "Welcome Bradley Chubb" thread here?

I'm not here to tell you freshly drafted Pat Mahomes is going to be awesome..I am here to tell you that the guy who Von Miller and Aqib Talib says will be awesome...will be awesome.

The guy getting alot of run from other coaches and players after he's been on an NFL roster and through a season of practices, and some game time....will be awesome...

And...the guy Andy Reid moved on from Alex Smith so he could make him the starter...that guy is who I am telling you is going to be awesome.

According to the crowd here, the one qualifier that Mahomes is missing is apparently a spot on your roster.
I'm still waiting for you to explain how this Air Raid QB, who's going to have to deal with the same things other spread QB's do in the NFL is a "generational talent". Those were your words, meaning he's a guy who shows up every 20 years or so. Apparently, you see him in the same place as Elway, Manning, and Rogers. Nine guys went before this "generational talent".

Stop ducking this question.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:03 AM   #124
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Oh look: Chief fan offseason thread declaring "everything is different now!"

These are a dime a dozen. They usually don't go well for you guys.

And once again you guys have this weird fixation on being better than Denver. Not the league or winning a SB, but being better than Denver.

Denver fans are interested in SB's. We don't have this weird inferiority complex that Chief fans do.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:13 AM   #125
Zerovoltz
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I'm still waiting for you to explain how this Air Raid QB, who's going to have to deal with the same things other spread QB's do in the NFL is a "generational talent". Those were your words, meaning he's a guy who shows up every 20 years or so. Apparently, you see him in the same place as Elway, Manning, and Rogers. Nine guys went before this "generational talent".

Stop ducking this question.
Yes...I am sticking with my "Generational Talent" label. In my judgement that is what I see. great arm...can throw anywhere on the field, from anywhere on the field....keeps his eyes scanning the field very well..doesn't lock in on targets..moves LB's and safetys with his eyes. Reid says he is great on the whiteboard. Throws into tight spaces...can throw guys open. Also can float and touch a pass when the situation calls for it. ...I mean... I can go on and on...and it will read like a positive scouting report. At some point you must have thought of Elway as a generational talent. There would have been an event or series of events that led you to that conclusion. The Baltimore Colts came to that conclusion on draft day...and the Broncos must have thought that's who he was when they traded for him....I'm sure some fans took more time than that to draw that conclusion...needing to see something out of him for a period of time first. I'm not sure what you want me to tell you? I can't point to a boxscore and say look at these stats..they say "generational talent". The kids has the "it" factor. He makes all kinds of ACCURATE throws both by design and can still throw to all sectors of the field if the play breaks down...and as a last resort...he can run. He will win in the pocket most of time, and run if he has too..not because he made one read and takes off....makes quick reads through his progressions...and will find the right target.......I have not good answer for you...I can see "it".