The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #1
rugbythug
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default Is Running Overrated?

We have given up big yards on the ground to both the Rams and the Chiefs. In each of those games we held those teams to their lowest offensive output of the season. Is our overplaying the pass and giving up a lot of yards on the ground a little of a catch 22? Obviously you want a team who can do both. And maybe that still exists but in todays NFL where a team is dropping 40 points every weekend its going to be difficult.

Look at the Jets Game-Their we gave up monster pass yards and Run Yards. If we slow down the pass in that game and still give up big rush yards we probably keep it with in a score.

Its sad how far my expectations have dropped. Hoping to keep it with in a score-FMT
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
Rabb
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Josey Jewell

I think it depends on the context. I know the popular thing here is to say to run it more, but it wouldn't help us. Look at the Giants and Barkley. Kid is amazing, he went off last week. They still got rolled.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #3
bronco_diesel
giddy-up

Against us, running is perfect. We can't stop it and we can't score.
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yes. One of the few things VJ is right about is, as Ron Jaworski used to always say on that show with Merrill Hodge, "Points come from the passing game"
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
I think it depends on the context. I know the popular thing here is to say to run it more, but it wouldn't help us. Look at the Giants and Barkley. Kid is amazing, he went off last week. They still got rolled.
Only 130 yards rushing. But more importantly, only 13 attempts. 10 yards per. 13 attempts. Crazy.

That team, like ours, needs to run more. Slow the game down. Less opportunity for a ****ty O to wreck the game while the defense rests.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #6
Rabb
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Josey Jewell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Only 130 yards rushing. But more importantly, only 13 attempts. 10 yards per. 13 attempts. Crazy.

That team, like ours, needs to run more. Slow the game down. Less opportunity for a ****ty O to wreck the game while the defense rests.
I'd argue we need to run more in addition to other offensive efficiency. Running more in our current state and play calling, won't change a thing. When we start running because we don't trust our pass...guess what the defense does?

It's turning into 2010 all over again. In many ways.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #7
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
I'd argue we need to run more in addition to other offensive efficiency. Running more in our current state and play calling, won't change a thing. When we start running because we don't trust our pass...guess what the defense does?

#BringBackOurTebow
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #8
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:

Funny thing is that it's a similar schedule. I remember going to the Arizona game that year and it was so ****ing embarrassing watching us get blown out with ****ty Kyle Orton to a bazillion field goals.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #9
Rabb
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Josey Jewell

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Funny thing is that it's a similar schedule. I remember going to the Arizona game that year and it was so ****ing embarrassing watching us get blown out with ****ty Kyle Orton to a bazillion field goals.
Wasn't that the Jay Feely game?

Christ. Oddly I think I read that the last time our attendance was this bad was 2010 against the Rams. I was at that game and I believe it was also a snow game. It was embarrassing.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:08 AM   #10
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:

Yeah, i think its important for balance to set up passing as well as clock control. Patriots showed last night against the chiefs how running the ball down the other teams throat can help win a game. Especially in the playoffs in the bad weather.
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #11
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Itís simple logic. Those 2 scores were lower cause running takes more time off the clock.(less possessions). TOP wins too. They didnít even need to throw the ball being up multiple scores halfway into 1st quarters.

Their gameplans adapt and change during the games. They dictated both wins.

But moral victories!
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #12
B-Large
Pork Hanger

Oily Variety Bohunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
We have given up big yards on the ground to both the Rams and the Chiefs. In each of those games we held those teams to their lowest offensive output of the season. Is our overplaying the pass and giving up a lot of yards on the ground a little of a catch 22? Obviously you want a team who can do both. And maybe that still exists but in todays NFL where a team is dropping 40 points every weekend its going to be difficult.

Look at the Jets Game-Their we gave up monster pass yards and Run Yards. If we slow down the pass in that game and still give up big rush yards we probably keep it with in a score.

Its sad how far my expectations have dropped. Hoping to keep it with in a score-FMT
I believe you pick how you get gashed, at least by the better teams. For the Broncos they benefit from giving up huge yards on the ground but the clock runs a lot and the other offense doesn't have as much time to run up scores. What's frustrating is the large running yardage mitigates our biggest strength, pass rush.

As far as our offense, I think we need to decide what we want to be, and build the offensive line around either a run based attack or a pass heavy attack.

Bend don't break is hard to stomach, but the name of the game for the Broncos this season is keep it close, hope for a mistake, and win close games.
B-Large is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #13
CHEF LUIGI
bronco fan: day 1, 1960

cooking up a victory

you all have such fascinating opinions but,
I will side with VINCE LOMBARDI ON THIS ONE !
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:28 PM   #14
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Ultimately it's about keeping the other team out of the endzone. I'm fine with giving up some yards, but you really want your defense to get stingy in the redzone. Giving up some FG's isn't that bad, it's when your D gives up multiple TD's in each half is when things get really bad.

Even though we got gashed in the run game yesterday, the Rams only scored 23 points. Our offense just isn't clicking. The run game as been a pleasant surprise this year, but poor play calling (not calling enough run plays) and poor passing game has killed us.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #15
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darian Stewart

Every fad always regresses back to the mean.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #16
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Running is hard on the knees and can be difficult to sustain. It also has a much higher rate of injury. You can achieve the same amount of cardio benefits with lower impact cardio or even a well-constructed weight/circuit training routine.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #17
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Definitely a passing game, no way we would be in the game the last two weeks with this kind of run game years ago.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Ask Belichick.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:03 PM   #19
Powderaddict
Saw Lady Gaga

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Devontae Booker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Itís simple logic. Those 2 scores were lower cause running takes more time off the clock.(less possessions). TOP wins too. They didnít even need to throw the ball being up multiple scores halfway into 1st quarters.

But moral victories!
This is exactly right.

Just because they scored less doesnt mean the defense was better. They still scored almost at will, just took the scenic route to get there.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #20
Mile High Salute
Elway's Little Helper

#MeToo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VJ's headset

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
I believe you pick how you get gashed, at least by the better teams. For the Broncos they benefit from giving up huge yards on the ground but the clock runs a lot and the other offense doesn't have as much time to run up scores. What's frustrating is the large running yardage mitigates our biggest strength, pass rush.

As far as our offense, I think we need to decide what we want to be, and build the offensive line around either a run based attack or a pass heavy attack.

Bend don't break is hard to stomach, but the name of the game for the Broncos this season is keep it close, hope for a mistake, and win close games.
Actually, I'd call our defensive strategy this year "bend AND break".
Mile High Salute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #21
rugbythug
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

The more the Rams and Chiefs play the less our D coordinator looks like a fool.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #22
rugbythug
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
This is exactly right.

Just because they scored less doesnt mean the defense was better. They still scored almost at will, just took the scenic route to get there.
Actually Scoring less isthe very essence of being a better defense. The very best metric you can use.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #23
Action

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2015DraftClass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post

But moral victories!
...it's called shortening the game to give your team a chance to win.

At the end of the day, we were in position to win both games.
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #24
Action

Adopt-a-Bronco:
2015DraftClass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
Actually, I'd call our defensive strategy this year "bend AND break".
Our red zone defense is ranked 16th about. Exact same as Chicago's.

14 LA Rams
15 Chicago
16 Denver
17 New England
18 Seattle
19 Pittsburgh
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #25
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yes. You need to be able to do it but should not be the focal point of your offense because you have a ****ty QB.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote