The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #151
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 48,266

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYhTFz_SGw0

OMG.....mega facepalm.

Here, I'll give you something worth about $150 or so or diabetes and people choose the Beetus.
__________________
San Francisco 49ers OrangeMane Mock Draft GM
1. Bradley Chubb, DE NC State
3A. Austin Corbett, G Nevada
3B. Marcell Ateman, WR Oklahoma State
4A. Parry Nickerson, CB Tulane
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)
5. Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
6. Matthew Thomas, OLB Florida State
7A. Cole Madison, G Washington State
7B. Natrell Jamerson, FS Wisconsin
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:07 PM   #152
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 
Since 1986

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 20,287
Default

John D. Rockefeller - "The only thing that gives me pleasure is to see my dividends coming in."
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:14 PM   #153
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 48,266

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
John D. Rockefeller - "The only thing that gives me pleasure is to see my dividends coming in."
A great quote although I disagree with the "only" part. There are many things in life more important than money, but nonetheless, dividends are certainly among the things that make me smile. I really love the idea of making regular monthly income from doing absolutely nothing but holding stock and having those checks get bigger and bigger each quarter by reinvesting each dividend.

It's always a great feeling to add a new member to my little dividend tree, too. By the end of the year, I'll have either 16 or 17 branches (individual stocks) on this tree all churning out some fruit. Next year, I hope to exceed 20.
__________________
San Francisco 49ers OrangeMane Mock Draft GM
1. Bradley Chubb, DE NC State
3A. Austin Corbett, G Nevada
3B. Marcell Ateman, WR Oklahoma State
4A. Parry Nickerson, CB Tulane
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)
5. Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
6. Matthew Thomas, OLB Florida State
7A. Cole Madison, G Washington State
7B. Natrell Jamerson, FS Wisconsin
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #154
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 37,049
Default

You have $10,000 dollars at your disposal and you decide to play roulette.

Black, red or green. What do you do and why?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #155
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 48,266

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
You have $10,000 dollars at your disposal and you decide to play roulette.

Black, red or green. What do you do and why?
Don't play at all.

Put the 10k into dividend stocks.
__________________
San Francisco 49ers OrangeMane Mock Draft GM
1. Bradley Chubb, DE NC State
3A. Austin Corbett, G Nevada
3B. Marcell Ateman, WR Oklahoma State
4A. Parry Nickerson, CB Tulane
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)
5. Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
6. Matthew Thomas, OLB Florida State
7A. Cole Madison, G Washington State
7B. Natrell Jamerson, FS Wisconsin
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #156
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
"Win from now on" - Elway

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 69,057

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut
Default

I'd play poker until I had 20Gs and place the 10Gs winnings on my gut feeling but only if I got a strong feeling.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:30 PM   #157
phibacka31
Ring of Famer
 
phibacka31's Avatar
 
Leggo

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Richland Hills, TX
Posts: 2,789

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
You have $10,000 dollars at your disposal and you decide to play roulette.

Black, red or green. What do you do and why?
Black all day
phibacka31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:12 PM   #158
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,894

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Some financial cleanup I've decided to do is stop paying so much damn money on insurance for things. I looked at my expenses and saw that I was spending over $3k/year in insurance. Reality is I have enough assets that I can "self" insure on pretty much everything but health (because illnesses can get VERY expensive, very fast) and vehicle liability (ironically, because I have enough assets someone might try to sue for them), and in the end I'll probably come out ahead. To that end:

* Dropped collision/comprehensive on vehicle and reduced uninsured/bodily harm to 25/50 (saves nearly $30/mo). I already have good health insurance and disability insurance (through employer), so it's just pointless to have bodily harm above and beyond a buffer to pay for out of pocket things that would come up.

* Cancelled a universal life insurance plan I got talked into by various parties (saves $80/mo). No point in life insurance when you have a healthy net worth and no one that is truly dependent on you (i.e. they are capable of taking care of themselves).

* Dropped phone insurance (saves $10/mo)

* Kicked up the home insurance deductible to max (saves $5/mo)

When annual enrollment comes up, I'm hoping to also kick up all my health insurance deductibles to max (already pretty high, but might be more room)

That's $1500/year in savings that I can put to productive use instead of padding the insurance company's bottom line, which will more than cover any probable issues.

ON a more general note, all these thing accrued because they seemed like something I "aught to have" at the time, and weren't too much individually, but when they all add up...

Last edited by Fedaykin; 07-13-2015 at 11:14 PM..
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #159
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 
Since 1986

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 20,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
You have $10,000 dollars at your disposal and you decide to play roulette.

Black, red or green. What do you do and why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phibacka31 View Post
Black all day



ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #160
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 
Since 1986

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 20,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Some financial cleanup I've decided to do is stop paying so much damn money on insurance for things. I looked at my expenses and saw that I was spending over $3k/year in insurance. Reality is I have enough assets that I can "self" insure on pretty much everything but health (because illnesses can get VERY expensive, very fast) and vehicle liability (ironically, because I have enough assets someone might try to sue for them), and in the end I'll probably come out ahead. To that end:

* Dropped collision/comprehensive on vehicle and reduced uninsured/bodily harm to 25/50 (saves nearly $30/mo). I already have good health insurance and disability insurance (through employer), so it's just pointless to have bodily harm above and beyond a buffer to pay for out of pocket things that would come up.

* Cancelled a universal life insurance plan I got talked into by various parties (saves $80/mo). No point in life insurance when you have a healthy net worth and no one that is truly dependent on you (i.e. they are capable of taking care of themselves).

* Dropped phone insurance (saves $10/mo)

* Kicked up the home insurance deductible to max (saves $5/mo)

When annual enrollment comes up, I'm hoping to also kick up all my health insurance deductibles to max (already pretty high, but might be more room)

That's $1500/year in savings that I can put to productive use instead of padding the insurance company's bottom line, which will more than cover any probable issues.

ON a more general note, all these thing accrued because they seemed like something I "aught to have" at the time, and weren't too much individually, but when they all add up...
Do you have umbrella insurance? Probably need it if you have assets, and most umbrella policies require a higher auto policy (NC requires 100/300, most states don't have that limit so insurance companies will require 250/500 auto policy before issuing an umbrella)
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:51 AM   #161
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nakatomi Plaza
Posts: 23,664

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
You have $10,000 dollars at your disposal and you decide to play roulette.

Black, red or green. What do you do and why?
Depends on what the trends are from previous plays. Vegas casinos display what it landed on for the previous 20-30 plays. I got on a hot streak once by figuring out the trends, and they changed dealers often to change things up.

I'd start out with small bets and make incremental bets as you figure it out. That way if you continue to strike out, move to another game.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:56 AM   #162
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 53,041

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

branched out into a rental property and bought a second house. Took money out of the stock market to do it. If you have means and can do this....it's a great way to make money and gain equity on a second place. The money I took out of the market was a non-qualified account.

Last edited by Garcia Bronco; 07-15-2015 at 09:01 AM..
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #163
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nakatomi Plaza
Posts: 23,664

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter
Default

Just about to pay off close to 70k in student loans, took roughly 2 years.

That being said, I am a newbie in this game, and I'm close to doing some investments (leaning towards mutual funds and specific stocks) and developing a portfolio. What investment firms are recommended? I've been looking at Charles Schwab and Edward Jones.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #164
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 53,041

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Just about to pay off close to 70k in student loans, took roughly 2 years.

That being said, I am a newbie in this game, and I'm close to doing some investments (leaning towards mutual funds and specific stocks) and developing a portfolio. What investment firms are recommended? I've been looking at Charles Schwab and Edward Jones.
LPL is also good. Edward jones is fine too.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #165
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 
Since 1986

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 20,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Just about to pay off close to 70k in student loans, took roughly 2 years.

That being said, I am a newbie in this game, and I'm close to doing some investments (leaning towards mutual funds and specific stocks) and developing a portfolio. What investment firms are recommended? I've been looking at Charles Schwab and Edward Jones.
We're with Merrill Lynch. If you have enough in Bank of America accounts with a linked ML aco**** (BofA owns ML) you can get up to 100 free trades per month (30 free trades on a lower tier and I think $6.95/trade otherwise), not that I've ever need 100 trades in a month. The nice thing is that I can buy a share here or 5 shares there to build a position over time, have the auto transfer set up to move money in every paycheck and then I can buy whenever. They also offer free dividend reinvestment, and I have most of my stocks on this.

Schwab, Scottrade, Fidelity, E*Trade are all good, but I couldn't recommend Edward Jones - I don't know much about their regular brokerage, but I couldn't get past their very high load mutual fund fees. Just flat turned me off that they were charging 5.75% right off the top.

Anyways, the big question is:

Do you just want a brokerage that you can do everything yourself or do you want an investment adviser?


I choose stocks myself, but I put in probably 8-10 hours per week in research, and that's investing, not active trading. You can always use an ETF like VTI (Vanguard total stock market) for the bulk of your portfolio and then pick a few stocks here and there if you want, or even a few ETFs like that. That's basically the way I have my wife's 401k at her work set up but with the corresponding mutual funds instead of ETFs, but same difference - 50% in S&P 500, 15% each in Mid and Small, 10% in International and 10% in bond fund - it's on auto-pilot and I don't have to fund hop trying to chase performance. It all depends of how much you want to do.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:41 PM   #166
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 
Since 1986

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 20,287
Default

Also, Bank of America (BAC) finally had a good quarter...
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:58 PM   #167
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 48,266

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Just about to pay off close to 70k in student loans, took roughly 2 years.

That being said, I am a newbie in this game, and I'm close to doing some investments (leaning towards mutual funds and specific stocks) and developing a portfolio. What investment firms are recommended? I've been looking at Charles Schwab and Edward Jones.
That's awesome, 24. Killing off 70k of debt in two years is very hard. You have to live like a dog to kill off that much that fast.

I only have 49k left on my law school loans. It was originally 130k, but ofcourse I've also paid a lot of interest in the last 9 years too, in addition to 80k in principal. I paid the high interest private one off at a super accelerated rate first. That one is completely done. It is only the lower interest government loan remaining so I am not going super balls to the wall on that because of the lower interest rate, as I'd rather put the money into dividend stocks.
__________________
San Francisco 49ers OrangeMane Mock Draft GM
1. Bradley Chubb, DE NC State
3A. Austin Corbett, G Nevada
3B. Marcell Ateman, WR Oklahoma State
4A. Parry Nickerson, CB Tulane
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)
5. Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
6. Matthew Thomas, OLB Florida State
7A. Cole Madison, G Washington State
7B. Natrell Jamerson, FS Wisconsin
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:43 PM   #168
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nakatomi Plaza
Posts: 23,664

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
We're with Merrill Lynch. If you have enough in Bank of America accounts with a linked ML aco**** (BofA owns ML) you can get up to 100 free trades per month (30 free trades on a lower tier and I think $6.95/trade otherwise), not that I've ever need 100 trades in a month. The nice thing is that I can buy a share here or 5 shares there to build a position over time, have the auto transfer set up to move money in every paycheck and then I can buy whenever. They also offer free dividend reinvestment, and I have most of my stocks on this.

Schwab, Scottrade, Fidelity, E*Trade are all good, but I couldn't recommend Edward Jones - I don't know much about their regular brokerage, but I couldn't get past their very high load mutual fund fees. Just flat turned me off that they were charging 5.75% right off the top.

Anyways, the big question is:

Do you just want a brokerage that you can do everything yourself or do you want an investment adviser?


I choose stocks myself, but I put in probably 8-10 hours per week in research, and that's investing, not active trading. You can always use an ETF like VTI (Vanguard total stock market) for the bulk of your portfolio and then pick a few stocks here and there if you want, or even a few ETFs like that. That's basically the way I have my wife's 401k at her work set up but with the corresponding mutual funds instead of ETFs, but same difference - 50% in S&P 500, 15% each in Mid and Small, 10% in International and 10% in bond fund - it's on auto-pilot and I don't have to fund hop trying to chase performance. It all depends of how much you want to do.
Leaning towards brokerage so I can do it myself, although an investment advisor is appealing too. I used to watch Jim Cramer a lot and studied stocks for fun, in part because one of my economic classes, we did mock trading (I think that was attempted by ak1971 on here once). I ended up winning by netting something like 400 mock bucks in one week of mock trading. That's a result of research and time in studying companies as well as the news.

Of course it's one thing to play with mock bucks and another to use hard earned money. Which is why I'm taking a while and learning/researching things before jumping in.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:46 PM   #169
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 48,266

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

I've got Schwab, they have some nice research tools. Overall, I am satisfied with them.
__________________
San Francisco 49ers OrangeMane Mock Draft GM
1. Bradley Chubb, DE NC State
3A. Austin Corbett, G Nevada
3B. Marcell Ateman, WR Oklahoma State
4A. Parry Nickerson, CB Tulane
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)
5. Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
6. Matthew Thomas, OLB Florida State
7A. Cole Madison, G Washington State
7B. Natrell Jamerson, FS Wisconsin
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:54 PM   #170
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nakatomi Plaza
Posts: 23,664

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
That's awesome, 24. Killing off 70k of debt in two years is very hard. You have to live like a dog to kill off that much that fast.

I only have 49k left on my law school loans. It was originally 130k, but ofcourse I've also paid a lot of interest in the last 9 years too, in addition to 80k in principal. I paid the high interest private one off at a super accelerated rate first. That one is completely done. It is only the lower interest government loan remaining so I am not going super balls to the wall on that because of the lower interest rate, as I'd rather put the money into dividend stocks.
Thanks SoCal. You don't have to live like a dog, just have to budget your monthly expenses. I stopped going to sports games, eating out less, cut down on unnecessary bills (like fedaykin did) etc.

Yes, the highest interest rates were the first ones to pay off. Actually the one fluctuating interest rate loan (personal loan but used for school) had to be paid off ASAP. I didn't like the idea of the rates going up the more I was paying it off.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:36 AM   #171
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,894

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
branched out into a rental property and bought a second house. Took money out of the stock market to do it. If you have means and can do this....it's a great way to make money and gain equity on a second place. The money I took out of the market was a non-qualified account.
Also real estate is one of the few things that are real wealth, unlike currency, precious metals, etc.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:38 AM   #172
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,894

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Just about to pay off close to 70k in student loans, took roughly 2 years.

That being said, I am a newbie in this game, and I'm close to doing some investments (leaning towards mutual funds and specific stocks) and developing a portfolio. What investment firms are recommended? I've been looking at Charles Schwab and Edward Jones.
Vanguard is a good option if you want a big time, good firm that has the bonus of not being a private, for profit entity.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:06 AM   #173
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer
 
R8R H8R's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Exiled in So. Cal.
Posts: 7,458

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Gotsis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Just about to pay off close to 70k in student loans, took roughly 2 years.

That being said, I am a newbie in this game, and I'm close to doing some investments (leaning towards mutual funds and specific stocks) and developing a portfolio. What investment firms are recommended? I've been looking at Charles Schwab and Edward Jones.
If you are going to make all decisions, then you look at cost and tools, and focus just on discount brokers. If you need help, then it is about the broker, not the firm, as the advice is what you are paying for. And most major full service brokerages have their share of either great or mediocre reps (just like any business) so it's best to get a referral from someone you know that is very happy with their broker.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #174
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 48,266

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default



A great illustration of why investing in the biggest consumer staples behemoths is a great idea.

People always buy all of this ****.
__________________
San Francisco 49ers OrangeMane Mock Draft GM
1. Bradley Chubb, DE NC State
3A. Austin Corbett, G Nevada
3B. Marcell Ateman, WR Oklahoma State
4A. Parry Nickerson, CB Tulane
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)
5. Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
6. Matthew Thomas, OLB Florida State
7A. Cole Madison, G Washington State
7B. Natrell Jamerson, FS Wisconsin
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #175
KCStud
Registered User
 
KCStud's Avatar
 
AmeriStanzi!

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,477

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I feel like a bad person investing in this but it's true.

Invest in a diabetes company now. Norvo Nordisk's stock has risen by almost $20 this year and will continue to grow in the future.
In fact, almost 26 million people have diabetes right now and they are projecting that that number will be up to 1/3 Americans in 20 years. Wow.

And it's all bc the companies in SoCal's pic above are being consumed in such high quantity by stupid Americans.

It's sad but unfortunately true and I can't see it changing for a long time.

Last edited by KCStud; 07-19-2015 at 02:12 PM..
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:12 PM.


Denver Broncos