The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #26
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

I'm going all in in Pakistani biotech.

Actually an interesting article in my home paper today on Chinese phone manufacturer Xiaomi. They are sort of the Apple of China but going for a different market segment.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #27
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jordan Taylor

Interesting posts.

I have my money in Vanguard and Fidelity mutual funds. I also have about $100k in American Funds. They took a huge hit in 2009, but have bolted back.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #28
WoodMan
Ring of Famer

There are some good dividend payers in the oil industry right now. Prices are down with the price of crude oil being lower. is now a good time to jump in that is the question. I have some RDS/A and am adding too it regularly now. Cost price averaging. Chevron is paying at about 4% now also. Might be a good time to buy? Do your homework.
WoodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #29
jutang
Ring of Famer

I mainly do index funds. Actually have become a fan of the roboadvisors like future advisor since it can give feedback on how well diversified you are with your current setup. I switched to some of my portfolio around when it pointed out I wasn't invested in enough Reit in my tax sheltered accounts. Future advisor is great for newbies. Also invested recently in vde an energy etf since I think oil has bottomed out.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #30
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

One DRIP I used to own (until I got divorced and had to cash out in the settlement) was Paychex (PAYX) ... it was a solid growth stock year in and year out.

Last edited by RMT; 02-10-2015 at 12:08 AM..
RMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #31
orange skier
Who was Chad Kelly...?

30 runs per game: we're unbeatable

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bye-bye V.J.

Again, you can get all of this with an S & P 500 tracking index. Diversification, dividends, at a low cost. Large cap, middle, international, banks, oil, you name it. Average in each month, easy idiot proof investing.
orange skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #32
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange skier View Post
Again, you can get all of this with an S & P 500 tracking index. Diversification, dividends, at a low cost. Large cap, middle, international, banks, oil, you name it. Average in each month, easy idiot proof investing.
I'm tempted to do this, but I enjoy the challenge of having to research things and make choices myself. I'm way too much of a control freak to just buy a fund or index. It's hard to be motivated to try to keep educating yourself and learning as much as you can without having the individual responsibility for it.
3B. Marcell Ateman, WR Oklahoma State
4A. Parry Nickerson, CB Tulane
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)
5. Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
6. Matthew Thomas, OLB Florida State
7A. Cole Madison, G Washington State
7B. Natrell Jamerson, FS Wisconsin
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #33
KCStud

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Been investing for 12+ years, right there with you on the dividend investing best way to grow your account. Love doing the direct investing to start out (DRIP) because you can put in small amounts every month to start out with and build up over time without fees/minimal fees. Of course we now have a large portfolio in Bank of America/Merrill Lynch so that I have 100 free trades per month, not that I need it. I don't trade, so I make a few purchases a month, but it's free and I can set up any/all stocks to reinvest.

My core holdings:

I have held these stocks for 10+ years
Southern Company (SO) - my first stock purchase, still own it in a DRIP account, they used to be free to buy shares ($2.50/per now!) and I built up a large position while it was free and stopped buying when the dividend reinvest was more than I was putting in. It's going on its own now.

Bank of America (BAC) - My 2nd stock, held in a DRIP account, yes, I've held all the way from 2004 through the crash and back. Probably would have sold it if it wasn't in the DRIP account. The good thing is that I've been able to accumulate a ton of shares (I was lucky enough to pick up a bunch of shares below $5) and now they have re-instituted the dividend, it's looking a lot better.

Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) - Boring, safe, exactly what you want in a core holding.

General Mills (GIS) - Mmmm food. Slow and steady

Altria/Phillip Morris Intl (MO & PM) - PM was spun out of MO back in 2008. I wish every company was run like Altria.

United Technology (UTX) - Industrial conglomerate, well run.

Devon (DVN) - Energy, reinvented itself, I think I keep holding on until someone buys them (hello Exxon....)

Other core holdings I haven't had for as long, I sold out of a couple of stocks in mid 2012 then bought in the big selloff after the election:

Pepsi (PEP) - Soda isn't growing, but it's solid and the snack/food business still has quite a bit of growth
Omega Healthcare Investors (OHI) REIT with triple net leases for healthcare/hospice/LTC. A lot like HCP (which we own in my wife's IRA)
Chevron (CVX) Oil & Gas, I will be buying more probably over the next year or so. Don't know if the dividend is safe at 4% here, if I was putting new money into the O&G sector, I'd probably go with Exxon - XOM
Air Products & Chemicals (APD) - specialty gases.

I own a couple of smaller banks (CHCO and NPBC), recently bought Baxter healthcare (BAX) and tanker stock Nordic American (NAT)

What's great is when you hit a tipping point to where the dividends paid is more than what you're putting in and the account just starts growing at an amazing level you couldn't imagine starting out! Usually around 100k-150k level.

A good place to find good companies: Eddy Elfenbein's blog Crossing Wall Street. Both his buy list and watch list are good sources. He's not a dividend guy, but most of the stocks overlap.

My wife changed jobs last year, so I rolled her 401k into an IRA, been buying up a lot in that account lately. One of my favorites in that is Synchrony Financial (SYF), they were spun out of GE last year. It was their consumer credit card division plus some other credit products (and now offering some banking like High Yield savings). Right now they are just retail cards (like The Gap), but I think they want to break out to being more of a direct competitor to Visa/MC/Amex. They should be initiating a dividend sometime in Q2.

Also, I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has about investing or stocks or just about anything financial or budgeting (I was an accountant prior to staying home with the kids these days), just shoot me a PM or whatever Or just point and laugh.
I put $25k into Devon and am hoping for the best. I think they are a solid investment.
Also have a few high rising tech companies that I've put money into as well.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:50 PM   #34
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

3-13 please

Great thread I just wonder how this will effect OM FA
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #35
Uncle Bill
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I'm tempted to do this, but I enjoy the challenge of having to research things and make choices myself. I'm way too much of a control freak to just buy a fund or index. It's hard to be motivated to try to keep educating yourself and learning as much as you can without having the individual responsibility for it.
Like you, I'm very hands-on and love to be informed. I agree that dumping money into index funds is boring, and basically eliminates the need to "keep educating yourself". But really, I don't think there's a better way for the average person to invest than indexing, and I've read dozens of books/articles trying to convince myself otherwise...

At the end of the day, beating the market is really hard, despite what a bunch of strangers on the internet will tell you. By limiting yourself to buying blue-chip stocks for their dividends, you will probably miss out on some pretty big gains. Taking what the market gives you at the cheapest possible cost through indexing is a great deal, and you'll probably beat most professional investors in the long run, after considering fees and expenses (the market is a zero-sum game, after all). Indexing also saves you a ton of time and allows you to sleep at night (if you've ever owned individual stocks and watched one lose half its value over a MONTH, and then take YEARS to recover, you know what I'm talking about).

You don't have to be completely boring about it. For example I mix-in some REIT's, emerging markets, etc. You can buy index funds for practically any sector of the market, such as energy, precious metals, healthcare, if you think there's a good opportunity. As someone else said, Bogleheads.com is a great resource for this type of investing, but over-weighting to small cap value funds is about as exotic as those folks get.

To be honest, I keep some money in a taxable account that I invest in individual stocks, but it's way less than 5% of my total portfolio. That way, I still feel like I'm "in the game", but my downside is minimal if I make a bad decision. I've actually done really well picking stocks, but there's no way I could stomach investing my entire portfolio that way. To each his own, though...

Back to the original topic, I just bought some Chevron the other day, which I was excited about. The dividend is great, and it's selling at a pretty good discount. I figure it's a much better place to park a few grand than a savings account, assuming you don't need the money in the near future...
Uncle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:06 PM   #36
Zealot
I miss Wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
I put $25k into Devon and am hoping for the best. I think they are a solid investment.
Also have a few high rising tech companies that I've put money into as well.
If you come to this party, you gotta show your cards!

What are your "high rising tech companies"?
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #37
orange skier
Who was Chad Kelly...?

30 runs per game: we're unbeatable

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bye-bye V.J.

Uncle Bill: so true.....beating the market isn't just "hard".....its next to impossible, and it is really just out and out gambling. You might as well fly to Vegas for the weekend. If you really think you, as an individual, can beat the market, you should quit your job and get busy doing it. Very few people can actually make this happen.
orange skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:00 PM   #38
Zealot
I miss Wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange skier View Post
Uncle Bill: so true.....beating the market isn't just "hard".....its next to impossible, and it is really just out and out gambling. You might as well fly to Vegas for the weekend. If you really think you, as an individual, can beat the market, you should quit your job and get busy doing it. Very few people can actually make this happen.
Refer to the Markowitz Efficient Frontier... It can be done. I remember spending a whole class dedicated to this concept. Lots of math. It was fun.

Full disclosure, this was prior to 2007/2008 crash so I don't recall its performance and I would not be surprised that it took it in the shorts too.
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:13 AM   #39
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

One thing I see currently in my job is REIT's are damn near fool proof right now. If you have the money, it might be a route worth investigating.

Mutual Funds are solid so long as you are risk averse
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:23 AM   #40
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

I meet with our financial advisor every quarter. We plan on expenses, mortgage, and the girl's education. I used to manage my own accounts but became too obsessed with the daily rises and dips, this is more stress free.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:47 AM   #41
Binkythefrog
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
I meet with our financial advisor every quarter. We plan on expenses, mortgage, and the girl's education. I used to manage my own accounts but became too obsessed with the daily rises and dips, this is more stress free.
Totally agree with this - I remember taking a short term stupid gamble on some VIX ETF's last year thinking that I could get the timing right and of course I got completely owned - it was a rough week. After that little adventure I decided to stick with basic low cost ETFs and funds.
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #42
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
Like you, I'm very hands-on and love to be informed. I agree that dumping money into index funds is boring, and basically eliminates the need to "keep educating yourself". But really, I don't think there's a better way for the average person to invest than indexing, and I've read dozens of books/articles trying to convince myself otherwise...

At the end of the day, beating the market is really hard, despite what a bunch of strangers on the internet will tell you. By limiting yourself to buying blue-chip stocks for their dividends, you will probably miss out on some pretty big gains. Taking what the market gives you at the cheapest possible cost through indexing is a great deal, and you'll probably beat most professional investors in the long run, after considering fees and expenses (the market is a zero-sum game, after all). Indexing also saves you a ton of time and allows you to sleep at night (if you've ever owned individual stocks and watched one lose half its value over a MONTH, and then take YEARS to recover, you know what I'm talking about).

You don't have to be completely boring about it. For example I mix-in some REIT's, emerging markets, etc. You can buy index funds for practically any sector of the market, such as energy, precious metals, healthcare, if you think there's a good opportunity. As someone else said, Bogleheads.com is a great resource for this type of investing, but over-weighting to small cap value funds is about as exotic as those folks get.

To be honest, I keep some money in a taxable account that I invest in individual stocks, but it's way less than 5% of my total portfolio. That way, I still feel like I'm "in the game", but my downside is minimal if I make a bad decision. I've actually done really well picking stocks, but there's no way I could stomach investing my entire portfolio that way. To each his own, though...

Back to the original topic, I just bought some Chevron the other day, which I was excited about. The dividend is great, and it's selling at a pretty good discount. I figure it's a much better place to park a few grand than a savings account, assuming you don't need the money in the near future...
There's a reason this is the most common process. Most people don't have the time, energy and experience to really take a hands on approach to their wealth management. And the fundamental truth is the boring, slow growth investments have been shown over time to be the best kinds for long term growth, especially when you factor in the cost of time commitment to managing riskier investments.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #43
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
That's the other piece. The anxiety of a particular stock going down and then freaking out another is rising or whatever and second guessing my choices. It's a twenty year plan, not a twenty day plan.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #44
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Anybody who doesn't need the money for the next year or so should dump some into UGAZ or UCO. Its a leveraged index based on the price of oil and natural gas. UGAZ is currently trading at 2.48 and I'm willing to bet ($10,000 in fact) that it doubles at some point in the next two years.

This is a risky investment, but that it certainly my advice to investors.

Other than that I into dividend investing, am I am what most people would consider way too heavy on the Energy sector. I just figure that I have just turned 27, I know the most about this sector, it's all on sale right now, and I don't plan on selling and so I can take the dips for the next 20 years.

Been considering trading the whole market. I think when I hit a certain number or when oil and gas companies come back to reality I will do a 50/50 split on DGI and whole market investing.

Man does this finance stuff get me excited.
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #45
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That's the other piece. The anxiety of a particular stock going down and then freaking out another is rising or whatever and second guessing my choices. It's a twenty year plan, not a twenty day plan.
I used to worry a lot more about the daily moves, thankfully I have shaken that off between the 2009 crash and the subsequent bull market. A part of it is when you own a stock(s) for a long time and you're up 100-200% on them. A 1, 2, 5 or a 10% move doesn't even phase me anymore.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #46
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I agree 100% but still paid too much attention to my daily impact.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #47
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Stick to pass line with max free odds, don't pass, place 6/8, buy 4/10 for 25 and 5/9 for 39 if they let you pay vig on wins only. Rest of bets are bad bets on the table.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #48
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

I'm getting close to buying a whole lot of AbbVie (ABBV)
Old 02-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #49
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I wouldn't buy into oil at this false floor.

Oil's going to at least brush $30. Mid-$30's and below is where I'll consider buying.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #50
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I wouldn't buy into oil at this false floor.

Oil's going to at least brush $30. Mid-$30's and below is where I'll consider buying.