The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #301
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
People who say that suicide is selfish always reference the survivors. It's selfish to leave children, spouses and other family members behind, so they say. They're not thinking about the survivors, or so they would have us believe. What they don't know is that those very loved ones are the reason many people hang on for just one more day. They do think about the survivors, probably up until the very last moment in many cases. But the soul-crushing depression that envelops them leaves them feeling like there is no alternative. Like the only way to get out is to opt out. And that is a devastating thought to endure.
It's also important to get through to those that aren't thinking clearly, reminding them that their actions will cause pain to others, maybe even the same unbearable pain. Sometimes the loved ones feel responsible, and that's probably irrational thinking as well.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #302
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Mobley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
So maybe all those rushes to judgment about depression were wrong.
No, too many people have talked about it and addicts often go through depression. Parkinson's probably just compounded it all.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #303
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
No, too many people have talked about it and addicts often go through depression. Parkinson's probably just compounded it all.
But we don't know, do we? Nobody was there with him. Maybe he started getting the shakes and just decided, "I'm not going out like that." That's not necessarily a decision influenced by depression.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #304
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
So maybe all those rushes to judgment about depression were wrong.
Bipolar, Parkinsons mixed with booze, cocaine and heroine is a way to end up depressed and killing yourself. Ultimately it was his choice to kill himself and leave his family behind.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #305
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Suicide sucks
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #306
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Bipolar, Parkinsons mixed with booze, cocaine and heroine is a way to end up depressed and killing yourself. Ultimately it was his choice to kill himself and leave his family behind.
A lot of assumptions there. Obviously, you are a higher life form.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #307
TheElusiveKyleOrton
Kicking & Screaming

Hot Damn.

Quote:
Except cocaine and heroin and booze weren't involved, and his sobriety was intact, according to someone who knows a metric ****-ton more about it than you: his wife.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #308
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
A lot of assumptions there. Obviously, you are a higher life form.
No but I have managed to keep myself from getting hooked on substances. Suicide is a choice it isn't like this is cancer or some terminal disease that is avoidable. The facts we do know is Williams had bipolar disorder who was a cocaine and heroine addict for alot of his life. Toss in booze and you got a recipe for disaster. Suicide is a selfish act that effects your family and kids.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #309
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Except cocaine and heroin and booze weren't involved, and his sobriety was intact, according to someone who knows a metric ****-ton more about it than you: his wife.
He checked into rehab 3 weeks before the suicide. His sobriety was not intact. He at least was struggling to a degree to keep the sobriety commitment going.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 08-14-2014 at 06:28 PM..
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #310
baja
Headmaster

"Win from now on" - Elway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut

What is the fascination with speculation about conditions that can never be known.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #311
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Casey Kreiter

This thread has commited suicide.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:08 PM   #312
IndelibleScribe
#CashMoneyScribe

Greed is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
This thread has commited suicide.
Indeed, way too many internet personal issues going on to derail it.
I am so very tempted to say something but I cannot because I would at the least get warned very sternly and at the most a lengthy ban.

Sad situation for his family but hopefully he can now have some semblance of peace.
Some of the posters that have obliged this thread with their opinions though....
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #313
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
No but I have managed to keep myself from getting hooked on substances. Suicide is a choice it isn't like this is cancer or some terminal disease that is avoidable. The facts we do know is Williams had bipolar disorder who was a cocaine and heroine addict for alot of his life. Toss in booze and you got a recipe for disaster. Suicide is a selfish act that effects your family and kids.
He found out he had Parkinson's which is terminal. His wife stated that he had remained sober but checked into rehab for support. Suicide is not selfish across the board. That's a bull**** generalization. It depends on the circumstances. Who are you to judge? You don't even know the guy. His children are grown and live on their own. Maybe he didn't want to start shaking with tremors and end up with dementia, watching his brain dissolve bit by bit?

The judgment of others is just sanctimonious bull****. Like the old saying goes, "Walk a mile in his shoes before you judge." What shocks me is that Robin Williams appears to have been an extremely generous and kind person, from all accounts, and some people feel they have to unleash their petty bull**** at the guy when he dies. He was a better man than you, sounds like.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #314
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
He found out he had Parkinson's which is terminal. His wife stated that he had remained sober but checked into rehab for support. Suicide is not selfish across the board. That's a bull**** generalization. It depends on the circumstances. Who are you to judge? You don't even know the guy. His children are grown and live on their own. Maybe he didn't want to start shaking with tremors and end up with dementia, watching his brain dissolve bit by bit?

The judgment of others is just sanctimonious bull****. Like the old saying goes, "Walk a mile in his shoes before you judge." What shocks me is that Robin Williams appears to have been an extremely generous and kind person, from all accounts, and some people feel they have to unleash their petty bull**** at the guy when he dies. He was a better man than you, sounds like.
Okay I get it you think suicide is okay and doesn't effect your kids(if they are grown). How many other people committed suicide that day or overdosed on drugs? Why aren't we mourning them? Just because he is a celebrity doesn't make suicide an okay. Drug addiction is a choice and I'll bet years of it definitely effected his mental health recently whether he was sober or not.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #315
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://davidsimon.com/robin-williams-a-brief-encounter/
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #316
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
He checked into rehab 3 weeks before the suicide. His sobriety was not intact. He at least was struggling to a degree to keep the sobriety commitment going.
Yeah to prevent a relapse before it happened. What.A.Monster!

theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #317
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I think suicide is inherently selfish. Removes that individual from the world and the lives of the people they know. That does not condemn the person. Reasons for suicide are varied, and the common cause seems to be intense pain, either physically or mentally. Williams had to be in a dark place, and it's sad because nobody saw it before he killed himself.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #318
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Yeah to prevent a relapse before it happened. What.A.Monster!

That's still saying there's a problem keeping a commitment to your sobriety. It's admitting it. That's why they go back into a long term rehab facility.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #319
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
The way that kind of depression works is you feel like you're doing your loved ones a favor by no longer being around to drag them down. It is the ultimate selfless act for that state of mind.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #320
baja
Headmaster

"Win from now on" - Elway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
The way that kind of depression works is you feel like you're doing your loved ones a favor by no longer being around to drag them down. It is the ultimate selfless act for that state of mind.
One must have true compassion to see it that way. Blessed are they.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:25 PM   #321
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Bummer because we all loved his movies. But if someone doesn't want to be alive anymore what business is it of mine to judge? I would try to talk someone out of it, even call police to try and stop it, but I won't sit around and try to figure out why they did it, or if they are selfish or not. You can't ever know what it is like to be in the shoes of someone else.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #322
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

IMO - the selfish part is not leaving a note. Let your family know what you were thinking. Let them know it wasn't their fault, that there was nothing they could do. Let them have closure.

When you don't do this, often times the people closest to them blame themselves, have a hard time for awhile and end up seeking therapy/meds themselves. This can easily be avoided with a simple note.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #323
TheElusiveKyleOrton
Kicking & Screaming

Hot Damn.

Quote:
Sounds as if his check in to rehab was preemptive. That's what you're SUPPOSED to do as an addict. Check with your sponsor. Go to a meeting. Go to rehab. Take yourself away from the temptation.

Last edited by TheElusiveKyleOrton; 08-15-2014 at 07:03 AM..
Old 08-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #324
TheElusiveKyleOrton
Kicking & Screaming

Hot Damn.

Quote:
That's still saying there's a problem keeping a commitment to your sobriety. It's admitting it. That's why they go back into a long term rehab facility.
Lol. "A commitment to your sobriety." Like it's a ****ing switch you can turn on and off.

I'd say voluntarily checking yourself into rehab because you're tempted is the ****ing definition of a "commitment to your sobriety."

You're a dick.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:06 AM   #325
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I've lost a close friend and a family member to suicide. Know several other people in my life throughout the years who have done it too. The one common trait they all had was they had substance abuse issues. The people that it effects are the ones that are left behind.