The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2018, 05:04 PM   #1
wolf754life
HORSE FACE GM

THE GHOST of HORSEFACE GM

Default Elway "We might not “stand pat” at backup quarterback"

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...p-quarterback/

well he just said it...

there goes all that swag...........

doesn't make any sense

but this front office thinks it has a playoff team on its hands.

wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

There isn’t a QB available that is going to sign in late August and win games if Keenum goes down.

They’d have to learn a new offense and form chemistry with the offense during regular season games. Kelly already knows the offense.

Elway should’ve thought of this months ago cause Lynch is nowhere near what he is wanting a back up to do.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #3
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
There isn’t a QB available that is going to sign in late August and win games if Keenum goes down.

They’d have to learn a new offense and form chemistry with the offense during regular season games. Kelly already knows the offense.

Elway should’ve thought of this months ago cause Lynch is nowhere near what he is wanting a back up to do.
All Elway is saying is “I’m not going to tell you we’re definitely going to stand pat” with the current situation.
It's Week 1 of the preseason. Kelly looked great. We got 3 more weeks for him to continue to improve. If he doesn't then John is keeping his options open. That's all. He would be a fool at this point to say Kelly has it locked up.
What this does say though, is he seems to be done with Paxil without even mentioning him. That's what I got out of it.
socalorado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
Broncoandrew
Ring of Famer

In hoc signo vinces

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Keenum (I hope)

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
All Elway is saying is “I’m not going to tell you we’re definitely going to stand pat” with the current situation.
It's Week 1 of the preseason. Kelly looked great. We got 3 more weeks for him to continue to improve. If he doesn't then John is keeping his options open. That's all. He would be a fool at this point to say Kelly has it locked up.
What this does say though, is he seems to be done with Paxil without even mentioning him. That's what I got out of it.
If anything this is good. Kelly has put in a lot of work, this will keep the motivation up he seems to have.
Broncoandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:27 PM   #5
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post

Oh no doubt. This tells me they have already moved on from Lynch. Cause if Kelly sucks next few weeks they aren’t looking to Lynch as the answer.

I’m just saying if that QB comes in, he’s not going to “win games” IMO. I’d rather commit to Kelly through the raw QB bumps than street FA.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #6
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoandrew View Post
If anything this is good. Kelly has put in a lot of work, this will keep the motivation up he seems to have.
I'm sure Elway had the private convo with Kelly this week.
"Prove all the naysayers and GMs and guru's wrong and prove me right.
You wanna be a Trevor Semian or do you wanna be a Jim Kelly?"
"Show me. Take that next step and make me never even look at a vet."
Old 08-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Oh no doubt. This tells me they have already moved on from Lynch. Cause if Kelly sucks next few weeks they aren’t looking to Lynch as the answer.

I’m just saying if that QB comes in, he’s not going to “win games” IMO. I’d rather commit to Kelly through the raw QB bumps than street FA.
Yep. It what WASNT SAID in those remarks that's telling.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #8
MamaMia
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Of course a vet qb could win a couple games for us. If Keenum goes down for the year, that's it. But if he is out for two or three games, we need a guy who wont collapse. Kelly is exciting but we dont know what he will do in a real game with a division title on the line. For a team that yet again is built around defense and trying to run the ball, a vet qb could save the season for us where Kelly may trip up.

They didnt do this before because they wanted Lynch to get reps and see if he could finally turn a corner. They are thinking about it now because he looks like trash.

Bottom line: we need a backup we can trust. Kelly really isnt that guy.
MamaMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:50 PM   #9
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMia View Post
Of course a vet qb could win a couple games for us. If Keenum goes down for the year, that's it. But if he is out for two or three games, we need a guy who wont collapse. Kelly is exciting but we dont know what he will do in a real game with a division title on the line. For a team that yet again is built around defense and trying to run the ball, a vet qb could save the season for us where Kelly may trip up.

They didnt do this before because they wanted Lynch to get reps and see if he could finally turn a corner. They are thinking about it now because he looks like trash.

Bottom line: we need a backup we can trust. Kelly really isnt that guy.

Who?
Old 08-14-2018, 05:53 PM   #10
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

I think he means swag might take the one move and Keenum back to the two.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #11
yerner
Ring of Famer

Derek Anderson, Mccown if he gets cut, Bridgewater. Those three would be better in live NFL action for an important game than Kelly playing in his first.

Id rather they just exile Paxton and let Kelly take all the snaps in preseason after Case.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #12
MamaMia
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Fun question.. Does Minnesota keep three qbs, and if not:

A. Do they cut Siemian or Sloter? Probably Sloter for the same reason we will sign a vet.

B. Do we make a play for Sloter if he is cut?
Old 08-14-2018, 05:58 PM   #13
MamaMia
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Who?
McCown would be ideal.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:58 PM   #14
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
Derek Anderson, Mccown if he gets cut, Bridgewater. Those three would be better in live NFL action for an important game than Kelly playing in his first.

Id rather they just exile Paxton and let Kelly take all the snaps in preseason after Case.

2 of the 3 you just mentioned are on current rosters. McCown has a 10M dead cap they aren’t dumping him. Anderson is Brock level....

Who are the QB free agents that will win games? Moore? Yates has 10 total TDs. No leadership there.

Kelly has more clout with the players of this offense than some scrub who can’t get a job.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #15
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMia View Post
McCown would be ideal.

McCown has a 10M dead cap and is on a team.

Again what FA? There’s no one I see that will command the respect of this offense than what Kelly is doing. 2nd team instantly looked more excited and happier today and yesterday.

Kelly is not going to **** up. He will win this back up job. I guarantee it. Don’t be scared roll with 2 QBs and find a contributor for that extra roster spot. This team has rolled with 3 QBs throughout and it’s done nothing.

Last year they went with a vet over Sloter. Worked out like garbage. Year before they had to bring in a vet in Austin Davis. Wasting a spot.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 08-14-2018 at 06:04 PM..
Old 08-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #16
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post

I guess the experience with the 2 vets but I would put Bridgwater and Kelly at about the same situation. Both coming off injuries, both looking to make a squad. Bridgewaters never done anything really either, other than get injured. Badly. I could see the other two in terms of real snaps.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #17
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
McCown has a 10M dead cap and is on a team.

Again what FA?
That's waaaay to much.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

KAPERNICK!
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:05 PM   #19
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
KAPERNICK!

Sadly that’s the only QB I see who would contribute at a back up level. But he’s been out of football for so long it would take him weeks to get up to game shape/speed/rhythm.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #20
yerner
Ring of Famer

Did Musgrave have a hand in drafting Connor Cook? Does he get cut with Manuel there? Glennon?

Last edited by yerner; 08-14-2018 at 06:13 PM..
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #21
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Kelly > Moore or Anderson or Kaepernick

Bridgewater would be the only guy out there (semi-available) that I would think could step into to start. Everything else, you may as well let Kelly get some experience. I think Keenum stays healthy the entire year though.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #22
Broncoandrew
Ring of Famer

In hoc signo vinces

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Keenum (I hope)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Kelly > Moore or Anderson or Kaepernick

Bridgewater would be the only guy out there (semi-available) that I would think could step into to start. Everything else, you may as well let Kelly get some experience. I think Keenum stays healthy the entire year though.
And he's still expensive. If you want a star backup QB you have to find a late round gem that can learn and make plays as long as they don't get massive amounts of film on him.

Siemian is the ideal backup QB. He can play, he can make big boy throws, and you can give him a playbook that meets his strengths, as long as you don't rely on him for a full season.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #23
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoandrew View Post
And he's still expensive. If you want a star backup QB you have to find a late round gem that can learn and make plays as long as they don't get massive amounts of film on him.

Siemian is the ideal backup QB. He can play, he can make big boy throws, and you can give him a playbook that meets his strengths, as long as you don't rely on him for a full season.
Bridgewater only signed for $6m, that's pretty cheap, even for a backup. But yes, a guy like Siemian would be the ideal backup.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #24
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:43 PM   #25
Broncoandrew
Ring of Famer

In hoc signo vinces

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Keenum (I hope)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Bridgewater only signed for $6m, that's pretty cheap, even for a backup. But yes, a guy like Siemian would be the ideal backup.
How much cap space do we have? I thought we only had 5-6 million left for emergency signings etc.