The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #76
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
I don't think anyone is fine with Jewell. He's JAG.
But if they could somehow get a CJ Mosely in FA to go next to him.......
I definitely expect Elway to target Mosley. No doubt about it.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #77
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec Bronco View Post
Jewell can't run. The only LB on the team who can run the way Fangio expects his LBs to is Joseph Jones and he is very raw.
I guess we will know soon enough. If a ILBer has great instincts, that can make up for some lack of speed
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #78
bombquixote
Ring of Famer

They ****in better.
bombquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #79
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I guess we will know soon enough. If a ILBer has great instincts, that can make up for some lack of speed
Way Fangio defense works is his ILB'ers play all 3 down 80-90 percent of the game.

Jewell cant do that. He's not athletic enough. We need more athletic linebackers badly if you wanna run his defense.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #80
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
And also the biggest NFL QB busts are always drafted high. Thereís simply no guarantee that a QB will pan out, no matter how sure you are about him when you draft him.
Denver canít afford to hope they can find the right project later in the draft.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #81
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I definitely expect Elway to target Mosley. No doubt about it.
God, Aga. The win if he could pull Mosley and Callahan. Or DT Sheldon Richardson. And RT JuWaun James. And TE Jesse James.....
I'll stop.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #82
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
Way Fangio defense works is his ILB'ers play all 3 down 80-90 percent of the game.

Jewell cant do that. He's not athletic enough. We need more athletic linebackers badly if you wanna run his defense.
I wanted the Broncos to draft Roquan Smith, Iím sure heís a Fangio pick
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #83
denverdude
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Fangio's backers stay on the field pretty much every down, we dont have anyone like that right now.
Devin Bush out of Michigan would be a nice steal if we could get him in the 2nd round. He's an every down LB and plays mean.
denverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #84
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Quote:
I wanted the Broncos to draft Roquan Smith, Iím sure heís a Fangio pick
I hope Fangio has a say when the draft comes, he has an eye for talent.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #85
Aztec Bronco
Pro Bowler

Mosley is nice. The guy I'd really like to see if they go the FA route is Kwon Alexander. Little more athletic.
Aztec Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #86
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverdude View Post
Devin Bush out of Michigan would be a nice steal if we could get him in the 2nd round. He's an every down LB and plays mean.
Depends if we have to trade up for a QB or not.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #87
-Rod-
#TeamBroncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
What you're saying has some merit, but at the same time some of the best QB's in the league right now were taken well after the top ten: Brees (#32), Rodgers (#24), Wilson (#75), Brady (#199). And a lot of of top 10 QB's have flamed out. There's no guaranteed way to get a great QB. No one has conclusively figured out the equation of what college QB's will be great NFL QB's.
Teams might get lucky and find their QB later in the draft, but the 3rd, 6th-round QBs can't be their primary plan to find an answer at the position. At that point, teams are looking for quality backup QBs and just get very lucky.

There are some particularities to some of these QBs you've mentioned. Drew Brees was considered a really good QB coming out of Purdue, but coaches and GMs had that prejudice against his size, lack of ideal height. Slightly over 6'0", so he was the 1st pick in the 2nd round.

The same goes for Russell Wilson. People loved him, mastered two different offenses in college, but he became an even more extreme outlier compared to Brees, with teams aprehensive about a QB who is under 5'11".

Brees and Wilson are helping other QBs break the height barrier. Result: the Browns felt comfortable enough to take Mayfield #1 overall. Now this height discussion will become even more extreme with Kyler Murray.

Aaron Rodgers was set to be #1 overall pick. That was his projection, but the 49ers decided to go with Alex Smith, then GMs of other teams were caught off guard trying to figure out what was going on.

A big reason why Rodgers fell so far was the previous CBA with the astronomical rookie contracts. Teams that already had starting QBs would have to pay Rodgers a lot of money, with two QBs eating a lot of cap space. I doubt that free fall would have happened in the current CBA and the current rookie contracts.
-Rod- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #88
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec Bronco View Post
Mosley is nice. The guy I'd really like to see if they go the FA route is Kwon Alexander. Little more athletic.
Decent class of FA backers- CJ Mosely, KJ Wright, Kwon Alexander, Anthony Barr, Jordan Hicks.

If Elway is ready to spend.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #89
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
His height kind of bugs me. Can't help but feel like TE's would abuse him.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #90
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, that 2nd would be gone. I'm hoping Elway gets creative and uses 2020 picks or players. This is a deep draft at ILB and 3-4 DT, so I'm kinda good using those picks in a QB moving up and still addressing those spots in the 3rd and 4th. They have 2 4ths correct?
Old 01-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #91
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
Teams might get lucky and find their QB later in the draft, but the 3rd, 6th-round QBs can't be their primary plan to find an answer at the position. At that point, teams are looking for quality backup QBs and just get very lucky.

There are some particularities to some of these QBs you've mentioned. Drew Brees was considered a really good QB coming out of Purdue, but coaches and GMs had that prejudice against his size, lack of ideal height. Slightly over 6'0", so he was the 1st pick in the 2nd round.

The same goes for Russell Wilson. People loved him, mastered two different offenses in college, but he became an even more extreme outlier compared to Brees, with teams aprehensive about a QB who is under 5'11".

Brees and Wilson are helping other QBs break the height barrier. Result: the Browns felt comfortable enough to take Mayfield #1 overall. Now this height discussion will become even more extreme with Kyler Murray.

Aaron Rodgers was set to be #1 overall pick. That was his projection, but the 49ers decided to go with Alex Smith, then GMs of other teams were caught off guard trying to figure out what was going on.

A big reason why Rodgers fell so far was the previous CBA with the astronomical rookie contracts. Teams that already had starting QBs would have to pay Rodgers a lot of money, with two QBs eating a lot of cap space. I doubt that free fall would have happened in the current CBA and the current rookie contracts.
The point remains.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #92
Aztec Bronco
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Decent class of FA backers- CJ Mosely, KJ Wright, Kwon Alexander, Anthony Barr.

If Elway is ready to spend.
Jordan Hicks too. Really talented group.
Aztec Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #93
denverdude
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
The only logical trade up would be for Haskins, and you are more than likely going to need to convince Arizona to essentially trade away Bosa.

Lock just is not ready yet, and I fear he has bust potential written all over him.
denverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:12 PM   #94
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Quote:
Yeah, that 2nd would be gone. I'm hoping Elway gets creative and uses 2020 picks or players. This is a deep draft at ILB and 3-4 DT, so I'm kinda good using those picks in a QB moving up and still addressing those spots in the 3rd and 4th. They have 2 4ths correct?
Two 4's, two 5's, one 6, one or two 7's, and 1-2-3 of course.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:12 PM   #95
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
God, Aga. The win if he could pull Mosley and Callahan. Or DT Sheldon Richardson. And RT JuWaun James. And TE Jesse James.....
I'll stop.
I think ILB will be prioritized because of its importance in Fangio's scheme. The rest seem unlikely to me. I could maybe see Callahan.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #96
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Two 4ths and two fifths. One pick every other round.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #97
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Quote:
The only logical trade up would be for Haskins, and you are more than likely going to need to convince Arizona to essentially trade away Bosa.

Lock just is not ready yet, and I fear he has bust potential written all over him.
I dont think we'd trade up to top 2.

I'd be ok with a move up to 8 and trading away a 4 or something. Highest i can see us jump is 5 to get over the Giants/Jags.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #98
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Two 4's, two 5's, one 6, one or two 7's, and 1-2-3 of course.
Damn, that's a lot. I didn't realize they had 2 5ths. That's a lot of capital making moving up to get Lock not such a big deal.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #99
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:

Haskins isn't even the best QB prospect in this draft, and he is definitely not more ready than Lock. Lock has had more exposure to pro concepts and has had to fit passes into tight windows more often.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:18 PM   #100
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Quote:
I'll stop.
I think we'll go for an ILB given how important that is to Fangio's scheme. We dont have the horses for it now.

I think a S is possible too but that depends what Vic thinks of the current safeties we have.

I could see Callahan depending on price, Harris-Yiadom-Callahan is a good enough top 3 in his scheme.

I could see us keep Heaurman, he played well late in the year, should be cheap and draft one.

Not sure we'll splurge on DL, but it's gonna depend how much cap Elway opens up.