The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Favorite MLB Team?
Arizona Diamondbacks 1 2.78%
Atlanta Braves 3 8.33%
Baltimore Orioles 1 2.78%
Boston Red Sox 5 13.89%
Chicago Cubs 3 8.33%
Chicago White Sox 3 8.33%
Cincinnati Reds 1 2.78%
Cleveland Indians 1 2.78%
Colorado Rockies 11 30.56%
Detroit Tigers 2 5.56%
Houston Astros 1 2.78%
Kansas City Royals 3 8.33%
Los Angeles Angels 1 2.78%
Los Angeles Dodgers 1 2.78%
Miami Marlins 1 2.78%
Milwaukee Brewers 1 2.78%
Minnesota Twins 1 2.78%
New York Mets 3 8.33%
New York Yankees 3 8.33%
Oakland A's 2 5.56%
Philadelphia Philles 1 2.78%
Pittsburgh Pirates 1 2.78%
San Diego Padres 2 5.56%
San Francisco Dirty Giants 3 8.33%
Seattle Mariners 3 8.33%
St Louis Cardinals 3 8.33%
Tampa Bay Rays 1 2.78%
Texas Rangers 1 2.78%
Toronto Blue Jays 1 2.78%
Washington Nationals 1 2.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #76
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Excellent article addressing my complaints as a Yankee fan, and a problem in MLB in general, of spending a lower and lower percentage of revenues on player salaries. In 2003 the Yankees spent 59% of their revenue on payroll. Last season? 40.1%.

The Yankees spent a smaller percent of 2017 revenue on 2018 Opening Day payroll than 28 other teams ó the tanking White Sox were the only team behind them. Yes, even the Rays, Athletics, and Marlins invested a larger percent of revenue into their Opening Day payroll than the Yankees.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #77
v2micca
This is the Water

and this is the well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
Grandal reportedly turned down four years and $60 million from the Mets.
My initial reaction is the make a snarky comment regarding the Mets. But I suspect that something else may have been going on and that offer was never really set in stone.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #78
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Excellent article addressing my complaints as a Yankee fan, and a problem in MLB in general, of spending a lower and lower percentage of revenues on player salaries. In 2003 the Yankees spent 59% of their revenue on payroll. Last season? 40.1%.

The Yankees spent a smaller percent of 2017 revenue on 2018 Opening Day payroll than 28 other teams ó the tanking White Sox were the only team behind them. Yes, even the Rays, Athletics, and Marlins invested a larger percent of revenue into their Opening Day payroll than the Yankees.
Why would Steinbrenner's kids spend more money when they already have a 100 win team and can maintain a 100 win team while still making massive profit?

The purpose is not to spend wildly for the sake of spending. It's to win and make as much profit as possible. The Yankees just happened to run into the best team in the opening round. It's not like there is something fundamentally wrong with them that requires massive surgery. They are in the elite group and also have the benefit of doing so while spending reasonably. That's a credit to Cashman. He's winning and his bosses are swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck.

They are better off waiting another year for Boston to break down with all their impending free agents rather than trying to win an arms race every year.
3B. Marcell Ateman, WR Oklahoma State
4A. Parry Nickerson, CB Tulane
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)
5. Josh Adams, RB Notre Dame
6. Matthew Thomas, OLB Florida State
7A. Cole Madison, G Washington State
7B. Natrell Jamerson, FS Wisconsin
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #79
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Why would Steinbrenner's kids spend more money when they already have a 100 win team and can maintain a 100 win team while still making massive profit?

The purpose is not to spend wildly for the sake of spending. It's to win and make as much profit as possible. The Yankees just happened to run into the best team in the opening round. It's not like there is something fundamentally wrong with them that requires massive surgery. They are in the elite group and also have the benefit of doing so while spending reasonably. That's a credit to Cashman. He's winning and his bosses are swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck.

They are better off waiting another year for Boston to break down with all their impending free agents rather than trying to win an arms race every year.
I wouldnt spend just to spend but it's not often when free agents like Machado/Harper hit the open market.

No excuse for one of them to not be a Yankee with the revenue they get.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #80
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:

How often are players like Harper and Machado available? Pretty much never! Out of Corbin, Harper, and Machado, the Yankees should have signed at least one of them. As of now it appears they'll get none of them. While at the same time allowing their bullpen to be diminished with the loss of Robertson. And why let the Red Sox outspend you? Your division rival who won the WS last year? Unacceptable!
Old 01-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #81
balero
Orange Mane Raiders GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Mets To Sign Jed Lowrie
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ed-lowrie.html
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #82
balero
Orange Mane Raiders GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
My initial reaction is the make a snarky comment regarding the Mets. But I suspect that something else may have been going on and that offer was never really set in stone.
You may be right. I donít like that Grandal is top 5 in the game at his position and can only land a one-year deal.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #83
IndelibleScribe
#CashMoneyScribe

Greed is good

Quote:
You may be right. I donít like that Grandal is top 5 in the game at his position and can only land a one-year deal.

Teams are just not spending so wildly like they used to.
Gone are the days of teams forking over massive contracts that they regret later on as they buy out FA years and replace them with downside of career years.

The contracts are too hard to move these days and even now teams want money kicked in to take on bad deals.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #84
balero
Orange Mane Raiders GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
Teams are just not spending so wildly like they used to.
Gone are the days of teams forking over massive contracts that they regret later on as they buy out FA years and replace them with downside of career years.

The contracts are too hard to move these days and even now teams want money kicked in to take on bad deals.
I agree. Thatís why the 2021 CBA is going to get ugly when the MLBPA fights for free agency after four years of team control.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #85
v2micca
This is the Water

and this is the well.

Quote:
I agree. Thatís why the 2021 CBA is going to get ugly when the MLBPA fights for free agency after four years of team control.
That is a pie in the sky kind of demand right there. The only way, and I mean only way the MLBPA gets that kind of a concession from the owners would be by an extended strike. We are talking losing an entire season, possibly 2, before the owners finally caved. And even then, I don't think they could pull it off. The MLBPA has spent so long selling out its minor league and international players that the owners wouldn't have too much trouble getting a bunch of young players from the farm leagues to cross the lines and play out a season.

No, they will have to set their sites a little lower. I think they can successfully demand an end to the qualifying offer system. I think they could probably successfully demand an increase to the MLB minimum wage, bump it up to $750,000. I think they will be able to tinker with the service time rules to prevent teams from gaming them and gaining 7 years of control by holding top prospects in AAA for 3 weeks to start the season. And I think they can demand some changes to the arbitration system so that judgment doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition, but could instead be at the discretion of a panel of arbiters composed of both former agents and gms.

Now, none of those will be an easy get for the MLBPA. They don't really have any concessions to offer as leverage (with international spending pools the owners no longer care about an international draft and with the punitive luxury taxes acting as a de facto salary cap they don't really need an actual salary cap) Their only arrow in their quiver is the threat of a strike, and even that isn't as strong a position as it use to be.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:04 PM   #86
IndelibleScribe
#CashMoneyScribe

Greed is good

Quote:
The robust nature of MLB after the tv deals has team owners trying to gain more profits instead of spending. Most of those big deals become albatrosses and the performance never seems to match up.

Teams would rather trade for a semi sure thing that's cost controlled than to have to overspend in FA.

The MLBPA may want that but with the tv money, they'll never get it.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:40 PM   #87
balero
Orange Mane Raiders GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
That is a pie in the sky kind of demand right there. The only way, and I mean only way the MLBPA gets that kind of a concession from the owners would be by an extended strike. We are talking losing an entire season, possibly 2, before the owners finally caved. And even then, I don't think they could pull it off. The MLBPA has spent so long selling out its minor league and international players that the owners wouldn't have too much trouble getting a bunch of young players from the farm leagues to cross the lines and play out a season.
It does seem kind of far fetched, but you look where MLB is going, the industry is clearly valuing young, cheap talent. Veterans are waiting their 6-7 years under team control and some really good players are having to settle for 1-year deals when they hit free agency.

The current system is geared toward veterans to get paid and younger players to wait their turn. But the younger players, when they are at their peak, aren't in position to get paid their worth until their sixth full year and third year of arbitration and that's only on a one-year pact.

The natural response by MLBPA to this is having younger players get paid closer to their worth when they are valued at their highest. Something is going to have to give. I think if this trend remains the same over two more offseasons it's going to boil over in 2021.

The only reason why the MLBPA might cave is because Tony Clark is not a true labor negotiator. He's the Gene Upshaw of the MLBPA. But if the MLBPA gets back to its roots, the days of Marvin Miller, Donald Fehr, Gene Orza, we're talking about a war. The current players should be demanding more from Clark and the MLBPA to serve their interests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca
No, they will have to set their sites a little lower. I think they can successfully demand an end to the qualifying offer system. I think they could probably successfully demand an increase to the MLB minimum wage, bump it up to $750,000. I think they will be able to tinker with the service time rules to prevent teams from gaming them and gaining 7 years of control by holding top prospects in AAA for 3 weeks to start the season. And I think they can demand some changes to the arbitration system so that judgment doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition, but could instead be at the discretion of a panel of arbiters composed of both former agents and gms.
I think these are all likely and reasonable tweaks to the CBA. But look at this offseason, Patrick Corbin (6 years, $140 million) is really the only non-reliever that has really cashed in when we consider pre-fall 2017 standards and it appears to be an outlier contract considering how GM Mike Rizzo and Washington Nationals are operating so differently than the rest of baseball these days.

The MLBPA is going to want its chunk of the pie and I don't think the status quo with a few tweaks is going to satisfy the base. Why would the players keep the six-year free agency when they're getting grossly underpaid in their younger years, and getting no long-term security when they finally have free agency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca
Now, none of those will be an easy get for the MLBPA. They don't really have any concessions to offer as leverage (with international spending pools the owners no longer care about an international draft and with the punitive luxury taxes acting as a de facto salary cap they don't really need an actual salary cap) Their only arrow in their quiver is the threat of a strike, and even that isn't as strong a position as it use to be.
You might be right with the lack of MLBPA concessions as far as leverage. But I feel like MLB is in a precarious situation where, yes, it's making record revenues, but the product needs to improve for long-term health. 2018 wasn't really a good year for the sport with attendance declining and the quality of play taking a hit with fewer balls in play. It's not like the owners can just take a hard stand either. This isn't 1981 where baseball has a strike and the All-Star Game, the first game after the strike, sells out. This is a different world where the NBA, the NFL and UEFA soccer have a stronger presence with younger Americans.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:54 PM   #88
balero
Orange Mane Raiders GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
The robust nature of MLB after the tv deals has team owners trying to gain more profits instead of spending. Most of those big deals become albatrosses and the performance never seems to match up.

Teams would rather trade for a semi sure thing that's cost controlled than to have to overspend in FA.

The MLBPA may want that but with the tv money, they'll never get it.
The owners aren't helping the sport with their greed.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/01/07...cord-revenues/

I don't expect front offices to hand out ill-advised contracts to players that don't have prime years ahead of them, but I'd like to see more cost-controlled youngsters get rewarded for their play. This is the type of practices the sport could do without: https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-rumors-...171201834.html
Old 01-11-2019, 12:28 AM   #89
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Baseball needs NFL style contracts with guaranteed money and outs at certain years with dead money. The end.

Look at the Rockies with ****shows like Ian Desmond and Brian Shaw.

A few bad signings and you're totally ****ed until they're gone.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:25 AM   #90
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Old 01-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #91
v2micca
This is the Water

and this is the well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Baseball needs NFL style contracts with guaranteed money and outs at certain years with dead money. The end.

Look at the Rockies with ****shows like Ian Desmond and Brian Shaw.

A few bad signings and you're totally ****ed until they're gone.
No, it really doesn't. Maybe in the 90's it did, when teams were run by front offices that didn't understand the economics of the game. But that time is past. Every front office has a full analytics department. And the classic Boras end around move where he bypasses the GM for the owner is far less effective in an era where Owners are valuing their massive paydays over World Series titles.

Bottom line, Front Offices know better than to give out another albatross like the Pujols contract. In years past, players like Harper and Machado would have had no problem getting a 10 year deal. These days, the offers on the table are topping out at 7 years, and Boras is trying to save face by getting them multiple player options so they can double-down again in two seasons.

When players like Grandal and Donaldson are settling for 1 year deals, you don't really need any rules in the CBA to protect front offices from themselves. They are doing just fine.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #92
balero
Orange Mane Raiders GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yankees Nearing Deal With DJ LeMahieu
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...-lemahieu.html
Old 01-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #93
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Which means Machado will not be a Yankee.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #94
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Very good news on LeMahieu.

Sox and Phils pretty much guaranteed to each get a big whale.
4B. Oren Burks, S/"Big Nickel"/OLB/Star Vanderbilt (MUG's No. 1 overall prospect)
Old 01-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #95
balero
Orange Mane Raiders GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Dodgers, Blue Jays Agree To Russell Martin Trade
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...n-dodgers.html
Old 01-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #96
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
How often are players like Harper and Machado available? Pretty much never! Out of Corbin, Harper, and Machado, the Yankees should have signed at least one of them. As of now it appears they'll get none of them. While at the same time allowing their bullpen to be diminished with the loss of Robertson. And why let the Red Sox outspend you? Your division rival who won the WS last year? Unacceptable!
Tony, there's a couple big whales on the market every year. Next year it will be Arenado then Trout etc.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #97
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Tony, there's a couple big whales on the market every year. Next year it will be Arenado then Trout etc.
Their availability is pretty much unprecedented. Arenado isn't as good. And it's possible neither him nor Trout will ever reach FA.

No Team Should Be Worried About Overpaying Manny Machado or Bryce Harper
The young free agents are among the most valuable players ever to hit the market at such an early age. So why arenít franchises trying harder to sign them?
Old 01-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #98
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Dan Clark deleted his Twitter account.

This is almost as good as getting Machado.

Serves that clown right for how smug and arrogant he was about Machado being a lock to go to NYY based on his BS sources.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #99
IndelibleScribe
#CashMoneyScribe

Greed is good

Quote:
The owners aren't helping the sport with their greed.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/01/07...cord-revenues/

I don't expect front offices to hand out ill-advised contracts to players that don't have prime years ahead of them, but I'd like to see more cost-controlled youngsters get rewarded for their play. This is the type of practices the sport could do without: https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-rumors-...171201834.html
I agree it's an issue but part of the reason for said greed is so often in the past those contracts have gone out and burned owners.

Quote:
I swear this feels like a big move coming.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #100
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I swear this feels like a big move coming.
For the Yankees? Nah. They may sign a reliever (Ottavino?), and maybe trade Gray. Other than that I think they're mostly done.