The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr
Default 2019 Colorado Rockies

It's the first day of the new year, and I thought this would be as good a time as any to start the 2019 Colorado Rockies thread.

Hopefully they make the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row.

Hopefully they make some more changes to their roster (they already added a quality infielder- Daniel Murphy) to better the team.

Needs: Relief pitching- always a need every year, and it really is a crap shoot as players have up and down years from year to year. Bats. Duane Espy has been replaced by Dave Magadan. Hopefully Magadan will help the team figure out how to hit better on the road and avoid their usual prolonged slumps. After the dreadful offensive performance to finish the regular season and the postseason, Espy had to go.

Catcher- This is a big time need. Iannetta sucks. Wolters needs to improve offensively, but is solid behind the plate. Tom Murphy needs to take a big step forward.

They could also use some better bench players. Pat Valaika has to have a short leash at this point. He's still young enough to give him a chance to raise his ceiling, but if he struggles early, he has to be out the door sooner rather than later. Hopefully Hampson, Tapia, and maybe Tauchman step up.

There are 3 position players with 0 major league experience (that I know of) on the current active roster according to the team website. Josh Fuentes, Yonathan Daza, and Sam Hilliard. Also, there is Brenden Rodgers still waiting for his chance.

There are 4 pitchers with 0 major league experience (that I know of) on the current active roster according to the team website. Ryan Castellani, Rayan Gonzalez, Justin Lawrence, Jesus Tinoco.

Team Roster

http://m.rockies.mlb.com/roster/
SVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
balero
Orange Mane Raiders GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Rockies Sign Michael Saunders
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...-saunders.html
balero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #3
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by balero View Post
You had me scared for a second. Glad it's just a minor league deal.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #4
balero
Orange Mane Raiders GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Rockies Interested In Brian Dozier On Short-Term Deal https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...term-deal.html
Old 01-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Quote:
Rockies Interested In Brian Dozier On Short-Term Deal https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...term-deal.html
I understand that LeMahieu is most likely departing but I don't get it. The Rockies already acquired Daniel Murphy, which looks like a good move, but the rest of the infield will be set. Unless they figure on moving Murphy to 1st, I don't get it. With Hampson looking for more playing time and Rodgers waiting in the wings.

I am hoping the Rockies address catcher.

Would be nice if they can find someone who can hit at least .260 and 10-15 homers while splitting time with Wolters or/and Murphy or/and Iannetta and be good behind the plate.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:16 PM   #6
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVine View Post
I understand that LeMahieu is most likely departing but I don't get it. The Rockies already acquired Daniel Murphy, which looks like a good move, but the rest of the infield will be set. Unless they figure on moving Murphy to 1st, I don't get it. With Hampson looking for more playing time and Rodgers waiting in the wings.

Would be nice if they can find someone who can hit at least .260 and 10-15 homers while splitting time with Wolters or/and Murphy or/and Iannetta and be good behind the plate.
Murphy needs to move to first. I wish we could toss Desmond's salary. Such a waste of space.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #7
balero
Orange Mane Raiders GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Yasmani Grandal would be a considerable upgrade but he reportedly turned down $60 million from the Mets, so hes probably not someone the Rockies would pursue.

The only other free agent catcher I like is Martin Maldonado. The 2017 Gold Glover is all defense, no bat however.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #8
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Murphy needs to move to first. I wish we could toss Desmond's salary. Such a waste of space.
Remember that time Desmond got a hit? It was incredible.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:33 PM   #9
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
At the half-way mark last season I think he had the 3rd worst WAR in MLB history.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #10
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:

They may be creating space for the prospects rather than taking on salary for older and possibly less productive vets.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #11
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yasmani Grandal would be a considerable upgrade but he reportedly turned down $60 million from the Mets, so hes probably not someone the Rockies would pursue.

The only other free agent catcher I like is Martin Maldonado. The 2017 Gold Glover is all defense, no bat however.
We don't have either now. Bat or glove.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #12
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
I remember I sat on the edge of seat waiting for the official scorer to give it to him.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #13
balero
Orange Mane Raiders GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
We don't have either now. Bat or glove.
I beg to differ. Tony Wolters finished ninth at catcher in the Fielding Bible Awards voting in 2018. Wolters managed to finish that high with only 74 games played and 182 at-bats and was terrible at the plate, so obviously he's made an impression around baseball with his defense.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:59 PM   #14
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Yeah, I was really impressed with Wolters defensive capabilities. Throwing out base stealers, handling pitchers, and blocking dirtballs. And for that reason, I am willing to give him another season to see if he can increase his offensive ceiling. But, yeah, his average needs to come up about 50 points this coming season, and another 20 points in 2020.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #15
balero
Orange Mane Raiders GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Old 01-11-2019, 11:56 PM   #16
balero
Orange Mane Raiders GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

HardballTalk: Nolan Arenado and the Rockies are $6 million apart in arbitration
https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/01/11...n-arbitration/
Old 01-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #17
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

So, Yasmani Grandal signs with the Brewers. (Sigh). The Brewers, by every measure should NOT be in a better position to sign Grandal over the Rockies. So, not only do the Brewers go farther than the Rockies in the postseason, but they also upgrade their catcher will the Rockies stand pat.

Let's look at a few numbers (US rankings) that suggests that Denver should not be in a lesser position to sign a big free agent than Milwaukee. Yes, I am looking at numbers that suggest market size.

Population
19. Denver 704,621
31. Milwaukee 595,351

Metropolitan Statistical Area
19.Denver/Aurora/Lakewood 2,888,227
39. Milwaukee/Waukesha/West Allis 1,576,236

Primary Statistical Area
16. Denver/Aurora 3,515,374
35. Milwaukee/Racine/Waukesha 2,048,007

Television Markets
17. Denver
36. Milwaukee

Attendance
7. Colorado 3,015,880
10. Milwaukee 2,850,875

No way Milwaukee should be able to outdo the Rockies for the services of Grandal.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #18
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I beg to differ. Tony Wolters finished ninth at catcher in the Fielding Bible Awards voting in 2018. Wolters managed to finish that high with only 74 games played and 182 at-bats and was terrible at the plate, so obviously he's made an impression around baseball with his defense.
This is a case of figures lie or liars figure. He would have played in a lot more games if he was enough of a complete player. We need someone that can catch 120 games at a good defensive level, manage pitchers and still contribute at the plate at some reasonable level. There is not a player on the Rockies right now. I was excited to have Lucroy because he did a great job of managing pitchers and did contribute at the plate. Iannetta was going to be a disappointment when he was signed.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #19
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
So, Yasmani Grandal signs with the Brewers. (Sigh). The Brewers, by every measure should NOT be in a better position to sign Grandal over the Rockies. So, not only do the Brewers go farther than the Rockies in the postseason, but they also upgrade their catcher will the Rockies stand pat.

Let's look at a few numbers (US rankings) that suggests that Denver should not be in a lesser position to sign a big free agent than Milwaukee. Yes, I am looking at numbers that suggest market size.

Population
19. Denver 704,621
31. Milwaukee 595,351

Metropolitan Statistical Area
19.Denver/Aurora/Lakewood 2,888,227
39. Milwaukee/Waukesha/West Allis 1,576,236

Primary Statistical Area
16. Denver/Aurora 3,515,374
35. Milwaukee/Racine/Waukesha 2,048,007

Television Markets
17. Denver
36. Milwaukee

Attendance
7. Colorado 3,015,880
10. Milwaukee 2,850,875

No way Milwaukee should be able to outdo the Rockies for the services of Grandal.
Denver knocks Milwaukee out of the park in Livability. Mountains, dry climate, a milder winter, outside activities.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #20
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
HardballTalk: Nolan Arenado and the Rockies are $6 million apart in arbitration
https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/01/11...n-arbitration/
Start a GoFundMe site
Old 01-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #21
balero
Orange Mane Raiders GM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Old 01-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #22
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Fan Forum with Jeff Bridich tonight

I had a conflict so I couldn't attend in person. After I got home I see it was live streamed on youtube so you can watch the replay here (starts around the 43 minute mark)

titan is offline   Reply With Quote