The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter
Default Top 6 highest paid QBs did not make the playoffs.

Highest paid NFL Quarterbacks

1. Aaron Rodgers: $33.5M
2. Matt Ryan: $30M
3. Kirk Cousins: $28M
4. Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5M
5. Matthew Stafford: $27M
6. Derek Carr: $25M

They’ll combine for 0 playoff games

8:10 PM - Dec 30, 2018

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2...-cousins-ryan/

Please, discuss.
Broncoblood32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2018, 04:03 PM   #2
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

So you wouldnt take any of them as the QB of the Broncos?

We still need a QB and need one bad, it's the main thing holding the team back, not head coach. Until we get one, not gonna matter who is coaching the team.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Seems like correlation being confused with causation. Also, only one of those guys is a truly elite QB. You definitely do not want to pay second and third tier QB's that kind of money.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Neither did the 17th highest paid.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

The QB market is way too high. I get that they should be the highest paid, but the problem is that they dwarf everybody else. I believe that if Stafford took a $19 million pay cut, he'd still be the highest paid player on that team. He's taking up 14% of their cap. After him there are a few guys taking up 3% each. I don't blame him or any QB for taking the money. But these teams need to realize that simply having a franchise caliber QB isn't enough to win. Paying a second tier QB first tier money is going to fail. A market that gives Cousins $28 million and Keenum $18 million is crazy.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:24 PM   #6
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
The QB market is way too high. I get that they should be the highest paid, but the problem is that they dwarf everybody else. I believe that if Stafford took a $19 million pay cut, he'd still be the highest paid player on that team. He's taking up 14% of their cap. After him there are a few guys taking up 3% each. I don't blame him or any QB for taking the money. But these teams need to realize that simply having a franchise caliber QB isn't enough to win. Paying a second tier QB first tier money is going to fail. A market that gives Cousins $28 million and Keenum $18 million is crazy.
Pretty much. Once again my theory regarding the NFL being mostly ran by retards has solid evidence backing it up.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:30 PM   #7
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
So you wouldnt take any of them as the QB of the Broncos?

We still need a QB and need one bad, it's the main thing holding the team back, not head coach. Until we get one, not gonna matter who is coaching the team.
Not for the money. Why? Would you?

What it teaches is if you want to win, you need to get real lucky to land an EFFECTIVE QB.

Here are the scenarios.

1. Draft one that is immediately productive, who is under a rookie contract, and you better win it within that window.

2. Get a mediocre free agent who is cheap enough so that you can sign other essential parts (mainly on defense) that is NEEDED and would not be possible with a QB (makes no difference who it is) with too big of a contract.

3. Land a really really productive QB who is not interested in breaking the teams bank like a Brady.

That's it.

Last edited by Broncoblood32; 12-31-2018 at 04:35 PM..
Old 12-31-2018, 04:34 PM   #8
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoblood32 View Post
Not for the money. Why? Would you?
What's your solution then? IF we draft and hit on a QB, you wont pay them. Lunacy.

Will admit we probably dodged a bullet with Cousins though it looks like.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:36 PM   #9
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
What's your solution then? IF we draft and hit on a QB, you wont pay them. Lunacy.

What it teaches is if you want to win, you need to get real lucky to land an EFFECTIVE QB.

Here are the scenarios.

1. Draft one that is immediately productive, who is under a rookie contract, and you better win it within that window.

2. Get a mediocre free agent who is cheap enough so that you can sign other essential parts (mainly on defense) that is NEEDED and would not be possible with a QB (makes no difference who it is) with too big of a contract. 

3. Land a really really productive QB who is not interested in breaking the teams bank like a Brady.

That's it.

Which one of those three sounds most doable?

Those ARE the ONLY scenarios. Someone want to add one that I am missing?
Old 12-31-2018, 04:36 PM   #10
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:

Ideally you land an elite QB in the draft, so the big contract doesn't hurt so bad. These teams that sign second and third tier QB's for elite contracts are full retards though.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:36 PM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

There should be a salary cap on QBs. No way should Cousins or Garappollo be paid that much $. QBs pay should not exceed 10% of a teams cap and only be at 10% if he’s on a HoF trajectory
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:43 PM   #12
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:

Here are the scenarios.

That's it.

I'll never stop laughing at your weird theories regarding QB's. Brees and Luck are in the top 10, and those teams are doing fine. Rivers is pretty high up there too. You definitely do not want to give the Staffords, Daltons, and Flaccos of the league huge contracts, but if you have an elite one you damn well better, even if it hurts a little.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:44 PM   #13
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Quote:

Here are the scenarios.

That's it.

Those ARE the ONLY scenarios. Someone want to add one that I am missing?
What happens if you hit on 1 and then have to pay him, you gonna let him walk because he'll cost money?

We did option 2 and it hit Elway in the nuts.

Brady situation isnt realistic.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:45 PM   #14
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I'll never stop laughing at your weird theories regarding QB's. Brees and Luck are in the top 10, and those teams are doing fine. Rivers is pretty high up there too. You definitely do not want to give the Staffords, Daltons, and Flaccos of the league huge contracts, but if you have an elite one you damn well better, even if it hurts a little.
The Colts have the most cap in the league next year, and they have Luck on this huge contract.

If you build your team right, it's fine paying your QB elite money. It's just as you said not paying 2nd/3rd rate QB's elite money.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:48 PM   #15
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Elway needs to go to AA.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

Quote:
The Colts have the most cap in the league next year, and they have Luck on this huge contract.

If you build your team right, it's fine paying your QB elite money. It's just as you said not paying 2nd/3rd rate QB's elite money.
And keep in mind that GM's who are stupid enough to sign 2nd and 3rd tier QB's to monstrous contracts are probably not very good GM's in general.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:51 PM   #16
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
There should be a salary cap on QBs. No way should Cousins or Garappollo be paid that much $. QBs pay should not exceed 10% of a teams cap and only be at 10% if he’s on a HoF trajectory
I think Richard Sherman was talking about that earlier this season. Maybe it was somebody else.

I agree. These owners and GMs are so desperate for a QB that they'll just throw crazy money at them. If they don't, some other team will. Like I said earlier, I have no problem with a QBs being the highest paid position, but the salaries for that position is out of hand. The other players, who greatly outnumber the QBs, should push for this. Even with a QB cap, QBs will still have the ability to be the highest paid, but teams won't be hurting their abilities to field a competitive team. Imagine if Cousins signed for $18 million a year. He'd still be the highest paid player on the Vikings by a few million dollars, and they would have $10 million to improve their roster.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:52 PM   #17
Ponyta
Seasoned Veteran

Born to Run

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

As others have said you have the problem when GMs are too afraid to let average to above average QBs go and let them hold the team ransom for elite money. That's why you should always be looking to draft a QB unless you have a Peyton Manning who is worth locking up. That's another reason to have an offensive coach because ideally you are always grooming the possible next guy. That doesn't work when you change systems every other year.
Ponyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:53 PM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
I think Richard Sherman was talking about that earlier this season. Maybe it was somebody else.

I agree. These owners and GMs are so desperate for a QB that they'll just throw crazy money at them. If they don't, some other team will. Like I said earlier, I have no problem with a QBs being the highest paid position, but the salaries for that position is out of hand. The other players, who greatly outnumber the QBs, should push for this. Even with a QB cap, QBs will still have the ability to be the highest paid, but teams won't be hurting their abilities to field a competitive team. Imagine if Cousins signed for $18 million a year. He'd still be the highest paid player on the Vikings by a few million dollars, and they would have $10 million to improve their roster.
You hamstring your team by paying a mediocre QB insane money.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:55 PM   #19
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
They not in the top 6. This is about the top 6. Brees and Luck were there and now they are not.

Brees, as productive as he has been has not been to a SB since 2009.

Luck, for everyone that likes to toss his salad, has never been.

Btw, isn't it amazing that as their salaries came out of the top 5, both teams are able to sign key pieces. The Saints defense has played better than they have in years, and two years in a row now, the Saints are far more committed to balance. For instance, Brees last year threw under 25TDs for the first time since 2004.

Luck, for everyone saying does not have talent, has one of the better OLs in football.

Last edited by Broncoblood32; 12-31-2018 at 05:01 PM..
Old 12-31-2018, 04:58 PM   #20
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Quote:
They not in the top 6. This is about the top 6. Brees and Luck were there and now they are not.

Brees, as productive as he has been has not been to a SB since 2009.

Luck, for everyone that likes to toss his salad, has never been.

Btw, isn't it amazing that as their salaries came out of the top 5, both teams are able to sign key pieces. The Saints defense has played better than they have in years, and two years in a row now, the Saints are far more committed to balance. For instance, Brees last year threw under 25TDs for the first time since 2004.

Luck, for everyone saying does not have talent, has one of the better OLs on football.
Luck's contract has nothing to do with their OL.

They double dipped on the OL this past year and used a 1st on Kelly in 16, on Costanzo makes a lot of money. Their RT i think Haeg was a draft pick too.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:58 PM   #21
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:

Like Cousins?

I agree.

My point last year.

So, for most of us, its draft a rookie and hopefully within that window of his rookie contract (4 years I think) need to get it done.

When is Luck up for contract btw? Anyone know?
Old 12-31-2018, 04:59 PM   #22
Broncoblood32
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Luck's contract has nothing to do with their OL.

They double dipped on the OL this past year and used a 1st on Kelly in 16, on Costanzo makes a lot of money. Their RT i think Haeg was a draft pick too.
So, how many OLinemen of theirs are under a rookie contract?
Old 12-31-2018, 05:00 PM   #23
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:

Luck's base salary will go from $24 million to $27 million next year and $28 million the year after. The final year of the contract is $21. I'd imagine that if he stays healthy, they'll resign him and make him the highest paid QB in the league. The direction that the market is going, that may be over $35 million.

I don't follow the Colts closely, but every time the media folks talk about Luck being the MVP, they say that he's not surrounded by much. So have they really built their roster right? Sounds like they have a lot of holes to fill. Even with a lot of cap space, will it be enough to fill all the holes?
Old 12-31-2018, 05:09 PM   #24
OABB
Internet Champion

144-0 thanks to Karenin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

The bottom 20 qbs this year didn’t make the playoffs. (Just assuming) probably pretty accurate

Last edited by OABB; 12-31-2018 at 05:18 PM..
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:09 PM   #25
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

Jaguars OM Mock GM

Quote:
Luck's base salary will go from $24 million to $27 million next year and $28 million the year after. The final year of the contract is $21. I'd imagine that if he stays healthy, they'll resign him and make him the highest paid QB in the league. The direction that the market is going, that may be over $35 million.

I don't follow the Colts closely, but every time the media folks talk about Luck being the MVP, they say that he's not surrounded by much. So have they really built their roster right? Sounds like they have a lot of holes to fill. Even with a lot of cap space, will it be enough to fill all the holes?
They're set at OL, QB, and RB (word is Bell wants to go there but they have three good, young, cheap backs)

Everywhere else they could use help.