The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #26
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This was kinda touched on by Doc, but more directly, how do you feel about the NFL seemingly de-emphasizing certain facets of the special teams game.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #27
19Morton77
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Reggie, you lasted 5 years in the NFL and mainly a special team player. Did you know you could last 5 years in the NFL in that role and being a smart guy from a school perspective, are you doing what you thought you would be doing after your football career?
19Morton77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #28
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Reggie, it has seemed to many of us that some players (Julius Thomas, for example) seem not to actually like football very much and play only for money, not love of the game. How prevalent do you think such an attitude is among NFL players?
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #29
Reggie Rivers
Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
I'll throw out another one.

How many concussions would you guess you had, during your playing days? And would you have any concerns with any of your children playing football?
I never had a "diagnosed" concussion in all my years of football. It's hard to remember exactly what might have happened to me in middle school and high school, but in the NFL I can now look back and say that I definitely had two concussions.

There were two big hits I took where I was woozy on the field, didn't have my balance, felt nauseous. But went back on the field 5 minutes later.

My son is 15 years old and he played football, basketball and lacrosse. Yes, we worry about concussions, but we also know that he loves the sport (and so do I). The kids are learning to tackle in a completely different way that I did. They're learning how to keep their heads out of it. Overall, I think football is moving in a "safer" direction regarding head injuries.

It's a violent sport. it will never be "safe", but they can do thing to make sure that it's safer.
Reggie Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #30
bronco_diesel
giddy-up

Reggie, thanks for doing this!

If you were to have the ability to change one thing (rules, or beyond) in the NFL, what would it be?
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #31
pricejj
jungle

What's the best piece of advice you would give to an 18 year old today?
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #32
Reggie Rivers
Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
This was kinda touched on by Doc, but more directly, how do you feel about the NFL seemingly de-emphasizing certain facets of the special teams game.
It's kinda sad. if it wasn't for special teams, I wouldn't have had an NFL career. But I also recognize that kickoffs are the most dangerous plays during the game. There's a great youtube video by a guy explaining why kickoffs are dangerous and probably unncessary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_SsIKgwvz4&t=828s So I get why it's being de-emphasized and believe that it's the right thing to do for player safety.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #33
Powderaddict
Couches - not even once!

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Devontae Booker

There are so many assumptions we as fans make, and often really don't know how the players and organizations truly feel.

That said, what do you think is the current mindset of the locker room? Do you think the players believe in Vance Joseph, or has he lost them?

Do you personally feel the Broncos should stay the course at Head Coach, or is it time to go in another direction?

Last edited by Archer81; 12-11-2018 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: name correction
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #34
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Reggie, I like the Corporate Kickoff FB page and I think you have David Soto getting past great plays against teams we are playing for that week. You got 5 years in the NFL but does it hurt not to get that 6th year in with Denver?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #35
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Heavy Hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Aw, come on Regg!

Third question: How long do you think a team should give a coach to implement their system and be effective before they move on?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #36
Reggie Rivers
Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco_diesel View Post
Reggie, thanks for doing this!

If you were to have the ability to change one thing (rules, or beyond) in the NFL, what would it be?
Roger Goodell would be fired!!

I can't stand him. Never could. I think the way he's handled player discipline over the years has been arrogant and stupid. Ray Rice knocked out his fiance. The handling of the situation was inept.

Other players get suspended on the mere suspicion of a crime (e.g. Ben Rothleisberger), but then the charges against them are dropped, but they still had to serve the suspension.

I would get rid of Goodell.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #37
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Rivers View Post

I can't stand him. Never could. I think the way he's handled player discipline over the years has been arrogant and stupid. Ray Rice knocked out his fiance. The handling of the situation was inept.

Other players get suspended on the mere suspicion of a crime (e.g. Ben Rothleisberger), but then the charges against them are dropped, but they still had to serve the suspension.

Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #38
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Heavy Hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

Reggie keepin' it real!
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #39
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

Nice.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #40
Powderaddict
Couches - not even once!

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Devontae Booker

Quote:

Dilly Dilly!
Old 12-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #41
bronco_diesel
giddy-up

Quote:

Good stuff, I agree!
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #42
CEH
Ring of Famer

Hi Reggie
Did you have a real life feud with the Highlands Ranch HOA?
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #43
Reggie Rivers
Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
There are so many assumptions we as fans make, and often really don't know how the players and organizations truly feel.

That said, what do you think is the current mindset of the locker room? Do you think the players believe in Vance Joseph, or has he lost them?

Do you personally feel the Broncos should stay the course at Head Coach, or is it time to go in another direction?

I think the players believe in Vance Joseph. Here's the reality: When I was a player, I thought 95% of the success of the team was driven by the players. Coaches Coach. Players Play. Yes, we need coaches to train us and develop the game plan, but I never saw a coach catch a pass over the middle. I never saw a coach iso block a charging linebacker. So the players are at that spot where the rubber meets the road, and they believe they have most of the say on what happens during a game.

So it's rare (in my opinion) that players really thing that coaches are causing them to lose games.

Should the Broncos stick with him? Yes, I think he should get one more year. If you're going to hire a first-time coach, I think you have to commit to at least 3 years unless the wheels completely fall off early. If you're not going to do that, then why are you hiring a first-time coach? Recycle one of the retreads that are out there.

Norv Turner could get another NFL coaching job. Yowzers!
Old 12-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #44
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Quote:

Quickly making friends around here with this post
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #45
Powderaddict
Couches - not even once!

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Devontae Booker

One other question:

How much do you feel the current unsettled Broncos ownership situation is impacting the football operations, and product on the field?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #46
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Meh. Anyone can.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Guessing you might not've worked with Wade Phillips much directly back then, but what did you think about him taking over. Kind of a controversial time in Broncos history.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #47
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

This seems to be pretty universal. He is awful.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #48
Reggie Rivers
Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Hi Reggie
Did you have a real life feud with the Highlands Ranch HOA?
! No, I didn't. I've never lived there. I just wanted to write a funny satire about live in the suburbs and chose to pick on Highlands Ranch.

For those who don't know what we're talking about, I wrote a novel called, "My Wife's Boyfriend & Our Feud with the Highlands Ranch Homeowners Association." https://www.amazon.com/Wifes-Boyfrie...%27s+boyfriend
Old 12-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #49
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Due west

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Quote:

I would suspect most other players and former players feel the same way.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #50
Powderaddict
Couches - not even once!

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Devontae Booker

Quote:
I think the players believe in Vance Joseph. Here's the reality: When I was a player, I thought 95% of the success of the team was driven by the players. Coaches Coach. Players Play. Yes, we need coaches to train us and develop the game plan, but I never saw a coach catch a pass over the middle. I never saw a coach iso block a charging linebacker. So the players are at that spot where the rubber meets the road, and they believe they have most of the say on what happens during a game.

So it's rare (in my opinion) that players really thing that coaches are causing them to lose games.

Should the Broncos stick with him? Yes, I think he should get one more year. If you're going to hire a first-time coach, I think you have to commit to at least 3 years unless the wheels completely fall off early. If you're not going to do that, then why are you hiring a first-time coach? Recycle one of the retreads that are out there.

Norv Turner could get another NFL coaching job. Yowzers!
Thank you for this. As a fan I am impatient, and after this past Sunday had my pitchfork and torch ready to go. Maybe I'll stash them for a bit.