The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2018, 11:17 PM   #1
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default OPEN THREAD - I am former Denver Bronco running back Reggie Rivers - Ask Me Anything!

It's great to have former Denver Broncos running back Reggie Rivers with us for an Ask Me Anything session. Reggie will be answering questions from this thread, starting at 1PM MST on Tuesday, December 11th.

Taking into account his six-year career in the NFL, and everything he's done since, there aren't many Broncos that are more accomplished than Reggie Rivers.

Reggie's Accomplishments
Former Denver Broncos Running Back
Motivational Speaker, Master of Ceremonies and Benefit Auctioneer
Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Masters Degree in Global Studies
Author of Five Published Books
President & CEO of Rivers Enterprises and Corporate Kickoff
Media Personality — Television, Radio, Internet and Newspaper

Reggie's Awards
1987 → H.M. Fentress Award – given by Texas Daily Newspaper Association to the Outstanding Journalism Intern in Texas
1990 → Kodak All-American, AP All-American, Sports Network All-American and UPI All-American football player at Southwest Texas State University
1990 → Scholar-Athlete of the Year – Southland Conference
1991 → Lyndon Baines Johnson Outstanding Senior Student at Southwest Texas State University
1992 → Broncos Community Action Player Award in recognition of volunteer service throughout Colorado
1992 → Bob Martin Award, given annually to the Broncos player who is most cooperative with the media
1993 → Broncos Edge Shave Gel NFL Man of the year in recognition of superior athletic and civic performance.
1995 → NFL Unsung Hero Award in recognition of volunteerefforts
1996 → Broncos True Value Hardware NFL Man of the Year in recognition of athletic and civic performance
1996 → Young Coloradoan of the Year – Cherry Creek Jaycees
1996 → Byron “Whizzer” White Humanitarian Award, given annually by the NFL Player’s Association in recognition of outstanding volunteer service
2000 → Radio Journalist of the Year – Colorado Association of Black Journalists
2001 → Larry Tajiri Memorial Media Award – Colorado ACLU
2002 → Inducted into the Southland Conference Hall of Honor (football)
2003 → Inducted into the Texas State University Hall of Honor (football)
2004 → Food for the Heart Community Award – The Food Bank of the Rockies Guild
2005 → President’s Award – Colorado Library Association
2009 → Martin Luther King, Jr. Business Social Responsibility Award – Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce
2009 → “The Colony: A Political Tale” won First Place General Fiction in the Premier Book Awards
2009 → “The Colony: A Political Tale” won Third Place General Fiction from the Colorado Independent Publishers Association
2013 → Named to Southland Conference All-Decade Football Team for the 1990s

Reggie's Recognition
Reggie Rivers is a renaissance man whose talents and achievements have spanned many different disciplines. Among his accomplishments:
He played six seasons as a running back with the Denver Broncos.
He was a two-time Broncos NFL Man of the Year.
He earned a Master’s Degree in Global Studies from the University of Denver.
He was a radio talk show host.
He was a television sports anchor.
He was a newspaper columnist.
He has published five books.
He was a four-time All-American football player at Texas State University.
He was a Southland Conference Scholar Athlete of the Year.
He was inducted into the Texas State University Hall of Honor.
He was inducted into the Southland Conference Hall of Honor.
He has been a motivational speaker, MC, auctioneer and/or presenter at thousands of events.

Last edited by DomCasual; 12-11-2018 at 12:03 PM..
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Thread is now open for questions.

I'll ask the first one.

Reggie, the Orange Mane, over the years, has become one of the most popular forums for fans to discuss all things Denver Broncos. Knowing NFL players like you do, what do you think the odds are that any of them peruse sites like the Orange Mane? (you won't hurt our feelings if you say "not much." You'll ruin our dreams. But you won't hurt our feelings.)
Old 12-11-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
Powderaddict
Couches - not even once!

Treasonous Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Devontae Booker

Besides the obvious answer "money", what is the biggest way the game has changed since you played? Which era would you have preferred to play in (again disregarding the money factor)?

What was Elway like as a teammate? Honest opinion of Elway as a GM?

Who was your favorite teammate?

What do you think of the new rules meant to help protect player safety?
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
CHEF LUIGI
bronco fan: day 1, 1960

cooking up a victory

I dont feel our 2018 Broncos are attempting enough RUSHING attempts in our games, especially in the FIRST HALF !
LINDSEY should be getting 25 touches a game, jmho,
and our Broncos should be running the ball 30 times a game, especially when you consider the struggling passing attack of our offense.
Do you think we show enough COMMITMENT to the run?
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #5
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Mobley

What was the locker room like after the loss to Jacksonville in the playoffs? Any voiced blame?
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #6
Oleg Gordievsky
A man of simple

Too shabby never!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kid You Never!

Hello Bronco man and legend Reggie Rivers.

Can you share favorite moment from career playing with mighty Denver Broncos team? It can be from game. It can be from scene behind the scene. It should just be moment that still making you smiling, when you think of it. Kid us never!
Oleg Gordievsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #7
pricejj
jungle

Hi Reggie, thank you! What's your favorite spot to go hiking in Colorado?
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #8
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CourtlandSutton

Hello Reggie, here’s one question that has plagued the Broncos fanbase for years. Which is better, the D logo or Horsehead logo on the helmets?
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Hey Reggie: the NFL is at least mounting a public relations campaign to assuage some concerns about player safety. I personally think some of the means are taking away aspects of the game that are exciting. For instance: kickoff rule changes, and rules designed to reduce the likelihood of full-speed collisions. Also, I think the league is intentionally ignoring what is (to me) an obvious cause for injury -- bigger / faster players due to steroids and performance enhancing drugs, and a league that would rather not know about what the players are doing to become increasingly bigger and faster. So, in an effort to distill my question: what are your thoughts about PEDs and the NFL's attempt to make the game safer?
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Heavy Hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Reggie - Thank you so much for joining us today. It was a pleasure to watch you play.

You experienced a period where the Broncos had three different coaches - Dan Reeves, Wade Phillips and Mike Shanahan. It seems to me that you have a uniquely valid take on NFL coaching transitions, so I have three related questions:

The first question: Can you tell us your impression on the differences in coaching styles between the three coaches you experienced.

The second question: How difficult do you think it is for a team to make the adjustment from one coach to another.

Third question: How long do you think a team should give a coach to implement their system and be effective before they move on?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #11
Reggie Rivers
Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
Besides the obvious answer "money", what is the biggest way the game has changed since you played? Which era would you have preferred to play in (again disregarding the money factor)?

This is a test answer. Did I type it the right spot?
Reggie Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #12
pricejj
jungle

Reg, are you still working in Denver media? What else are you up to these days?
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #13
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Heavy Hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Rivers View Post
You got it brother! It's GO time!
Old 12-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #14
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
You're good, Reggie. Welcome to the OrangeMane!
Old 12-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #15
Reggie Rivers
Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Thread is now open for questions.

I'll ask the first one.

Reggie, the Orange Mane, over the years, has become one of the most popular forums for fans to discuss all things Denver Broncos. Knowing NFL players like you do, what do you think the odds are that any of them peruse sites like the Orange Mane? (you won't hurt our feelings if you say "not much." You'll ruin our dreams. But you won't hurt our feelings.)
Honestly, the players probably don't spend much time reading sites like this, but that doesn't mean that they don't like and appreciate sites like this. Players have so much going on, and so much being said about them (both good and bad), that they learn to tune out the noise.

You're not as bad as anyone says you are, and you're not as good as anyone says you are. Don't get caught up in the hype.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #16
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Honestly, the players probably don't spend much time reading sites like this, but that doesn't mean that they don't like and appreciate sites like this. Players have so much going on, and so much being said about them (both good and bad), that they learn to tune out the noise.

You're not as bad as anyone says you are, and you're not as good as anyone says you are. Don't get caught up in the hype.
Hopes crushed! I was POSITIVE John Elway was moonlighting as one of the members here!
Old 12-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #17
Reggie Rivers
Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post

Yes, you have to say, "Besides the money", because the money is so overwhelmingly different. My rookie year, the league minimum was $70,000, and I made $70,000. Now the league minimum for a rookie is nearly $500,000.

Okay, the main thing that has changed is the complexity of the game. The offensive play design and defensive scheme design are dramatically more complex than when I played. I think I would have enjoyed this complexity when I was playing.

John Elway was a great teammate. Incredible talent. Incredible ability to deliver the ball wherever he wanted to deliver it.

John as a GM? eh ... mixed bag. He recruited Peyton Manning, drafted Von Miller and won a Super Bowl. That's a resume a lot of GMs would love to have. But the persistent inability to evaluate quarterback talent is a real issue and one that doesn't seem to have a solution in the near future.

My favorite teammate during my career was Glyn Milburn. Stanford kid. Fast. Smart.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #18
Reggie Rivers
Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
I dont feel our 2018 Broncos are attempting enough RUSHING attempts in our games, especially in the FIRST HALF !
LINDSEY should be getting 25 touches a game, jmho,
and our Broncos should be running the ball 30 times a game, especially when you consider the struggling passing attack of our offense.
Do you think we show enough COMMITMENT to the run?
I'm a former running back. RUN THE BALLLLLLLLL!!!

Yes, I think they have to show more commitment to the running game. I don't know that you necessarily want to give Lindsey 25 touches a game, that might be too much for him, but more touches early would be good.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #19
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Heavy Hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Reggie - You were with the Broncos during a tough, transitory phase. Was there any game, or particular moments that stand out to you when you think back. What would you say was the pinnacle, and what was the low point?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #20
Reggie Rivers
Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
What was the locker room like after the loss to Jacksonville in the playoffs? Any voiced blame?
That Jacksonville loss was the final game of my NFL career, though I didn't know it at the time. No, there was no finger pointing. Jacksonville played a great game. We didn't lose that game, they won it.

There were plenty of games that we won when we didn't deserve it (won in spite of our mistakes), and some games that we should have won, but got really unlucky. But most of the time, when you lose, it's because the other team outplayed you that day. It wasn't luck. It wasn't a fluke. It was better execution.

We played a strong game against Jacksonville. They were just better that day.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #21
Reggie Rivers
Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Reg, are you still working in Denver media? What else are you up to these days?
No more work in the Denver media. I'm a full-time speaker and auctioneer these days. I own a company called Corporate Kickoff (www.corporatekickoff.com), and I do corporate motivational speaking.

I also own a company called the Auction Fundraising Academy (www.auctionfundraisingacademy.com), and we do auctions for big nonprofit galas.

We do a total of about 200 events a year, and I love it!
Old 12-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #22
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I'll throw out another one.

How many concussions would you guess you had, during your playing days? And would you have any concerns with any of your children playing football?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #23
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
That Jacksonville loss was the final game of my NFL career, though I didn't know it at the time. No, there was no finger pointing. Jacksonville played a great game. We didn't lose that game, they won it.

There were plenty of games that we won when we didn't deserve it (won in spite of our mistakes), and some games that we should have won, but got really unlucky. But most of the time, when you lose, it's because the other team outplayed you that day. It wasn't luck. It wasn't a fluke. It was better execution.

We played a strong game against Jacksonville. They were just better that day.
Man, that was the most heart-breaking game I can ever recall. That team -- it just felt like the Broncos were finally there... that the late-80's Super Bowl humiliation was going to be avenged. That one hurt.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #24
Reggie Rivers
Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Confirmed Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Reggie - You were with the Broncos during a tough, transitory phase. Was there any game, or particular moments that stand out to you when you think back. What would you say was the pinnacle, and what was the low point?
This is a tough question to answer, because it's hard to remember that far back. My final season was 1996, which was 22 years ago!!! How in the world can I have been out of the NFL longer than some of the current rookies have been alive? :-)

I played my first two years for Dan Reeves, after he was fired, Wade Phillps took over as head coach and brought in John Fassel as the offensive coordinator. That was my first exposure to the "West Coast Offense" and it was fun to learn. Two years later, Mike Shanahan took over, and combined the West Coast passing game with an innovative zone blocking scheme that took the NFL by storm. It was fun to be a part of that.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #25
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Heavy Hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
John as a GM? eh ... mixed bag. He recruited Peyton Manning, drafted Von Miller and won a Super Bowl. That's a resume a lot of GMs would love to have. But the persistent inability to evaluate quarterback talent is a real issue and one that doesn't seem to have a solution in the near future.

Playing Armchair GM right now - What's your current evaluation of the Broncos QB situation, and is there a vet or up and comer that you think the Broncos should consider targeting?